• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

National or Alamo?

coinkc

<font color=red>You can find some hot dates at Six
I am needing to rent a car several times over the next few months at various airports. I have the National Emerald Club membership so I can bypass the counter and go straight to the the car. However, I have found Alamo to have cheaper rates by a few dollars each rental. Has anybody ever had any problems with Alamo? Is it really worth it not to have to go to the counter at National?

specifically I am looking at renting cars at Dallas Love Field Airport, Little RockAirport, and Chicago Midway. Thanks for any help you can give!

Yes, it is worth it to avoid Alamo. I "attempted" to rent from them once. After about two hours in line, they then told me it was a 40 min wait for a car! NEVER AGAIN

At Dallas you have to take a bus to the offsite area which means you could get off a bus with a bunch of people and have a long line.

The thing I notice about Alamo is they charge a $7/day fee for an extra driver. On vacation, we need to have both of us listed as drivers in case something would happen with the kids. That fee usually puts the price over National's.

Well, I love National's Emerald Club. On the other hand, I just reserved an Alamo compact in Orlando for 3 days that was cheaper than a compact for 2 days with National...so I'll put up with the line. At least Alamo in Orlando is now at the terminal.

When we rented National last year at MCO I had no problems with them. The line at Alamo was much longer. We waited 3 min at National.

However the cars you rent and the area are all the same for National and Alamo at MCO.

We have used Alamo the last two trips and never encountered a problem or a line. There wasnt a lot of choice for cars in the lot however. I am planning on using them again this summer.

National and Alamo are owned by the same company. Despite that, National still continues to provide the superior service on an overall basis. Alamo seems to pride itself in making people miserable with long lines and having problems with getting a car once you arrive. And it is very often worth it not to have to go to the counter for National.

I have also heard horror stories about Alamo's line very often, and would probably avoid them. A few extra dollars is worth the avoidance of hassle!! :teeth:

Thanks everyone! I think I'll stick with National for my next couple of trips as the price difference is minimal. I am going to keep checking them for our trip to WDW though as they are $40 more than Alamo.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter