National Car rates in November?

carolina_yankee

DIS Veteran
I've tried every trick I can (entertainment, aaa, other Mousesavers codes) to get a decent National care rate for 11/23 - 12/1. Part of the problem may be that I want to pick up in Ft. Myers or Tampa and return in MCO. We'll be having Thanksgiving dinner with family in Naples before going to WDW for a week on Saturdeay 11/25.

I can't get a better rate than $320 inttermediate for 8 days, which strikes me as outragesous. Is that due to time of year (Thanksgiving and beyond) or getting a quote so far in advance? I'm an Emerald Aisle customer and want the ability to just grab and go, and also return earlier to WDW if I choose.

Second part to this question: the National web site says I can't return a car to WDW either at the Car Care Center or Dolphin. I thought I could get a better rate by keeping the car for just 4 days.

So, is this something I have to do over the phone or what? I'm looking for some advice on what's a good rate now that I've tried everything I know (accept being patient and waiting for the rates to come down).

Dirk

Your reservation is certainly more complicated than mine, but for my early november reservation my rates are about double what they were in prior years for this time period. (currently $227 for 9 days, intermediate 11/4-11/13 with $20 Ent coupon and amex code - I made it a few months ago) Too bad they seem to be blocking a return to WDW property. Maybe there's too many reservations already doing that.
Sorry I don't have and ideas. Good luck.

Rpsemont said:
Your reservation is certainly more complicated than mine, but for my early november reservation my rates are about double what they were in prior years for this time period. (currently $227 for 9 days, intermediate 11/4-11/13 with $20 Ent coupon and amex code - I made it a few months ago) Too bad they seem to be blocking a return to WDW property. Maybe there's too many reservations already doing that.
Sorry I don't have and ideas. Good luck.
I hadn't thought about blocking returns because of too many people doing the same. That's a good point. I'll just make the darned reservation and then adjust as necessary if rates get better. It's high season that time of year, so I shouldn't be surprised - but, $329. Geesh!

Dirk

We are returning our rental car at the Dolphin. I can't recall the rate and don't have it with me at the moment but we are picking it up at the Orlando airport and keeping it over Thanksgiving weekend and then returning it. One thing I had trouble with was that my return location (Dolphin) closes so early in the day! I had to put in a return time prior to 4pm.

Also have you tried other companies? Alamo or maybe Avis? I know Dolphin wouldn't let me pick up and return to a different location! But i believe all the others did.

We reserved a minivan for the last week of September through National for $350. We will be splitting it with another couple, so that wasnt too bad. I think its just a gamble. We got a car on very short notice in May for a 3-day weekend through enterprise (economy size) for $42 total, so go figure.

Have you tried www.vacationoutlet.com? I've been able to get some good rates through them.

I've been trying to get a rental in early Nov., picking up at MCO and dropping off at the Dolphin, through Alamo and have noticed an increase in rental prices, too. If you can use Alamo instead of National (they are the same company, I believe, but with Nat'l being a bit more upscale), I've found that if you prepay for the rental, it does help bring the price down. But I don't think you can use any other discounts with that option.

Good luck.

Thanks for the references. It turns out that I can return an Alamo rental originating in Tampa at the Dolphin but not the Car Care Center, nor can I return a National rental at either place, according to the website. This is much better becuase I didn't need a car for the whole week anyway, thanks to DME.

Dirk

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter