Nathan's Magical Wish Trip- Pre-trip report

Great pics.. as always. I love seeing the pics of GKTW. I can't wait to go, and of course the ice cream!!!

Ok...I am totally in tears. Maybe I am too emotional...but you got me on the first post (AK/Epcot day) when you explained how much having a child with special needs affects the whole family. That is so true! I think that is what is so hard for Lauren's family...they have Lauren's issues...and her dad with the diabetes and her brother has digestive issues, too. So all of the problems affect all of them...it's hard for them.

anyway...your pictures were awesome. I am so jealous that you guys made it to Epcot. I really wanted to do the Test Track lounge!! :)

Your take on the Christmas party is so interesting. It is so neat and noteworthy how much each thing is different to each family. Your kids, being older, seem to have not been as "into" the GKTW parties as much? They were more interested in the putt putt, swimming, etc. But other families that have younger kids seem to LOVE the parties...especially Christmas! But I am glad your kids enjoyed it...

What gifts did they pick? If you don't mind my asking...I wonder if William would have liked what they had?

But...my tears...I think... are from the fact that you took time out of your trip to thank the One who brought you through all of this...Wow. I wish we had done that. How sad. :( We didn't even see the chapel.

Wonderful update!

I can't wait to hear about the Very Merry Christmas Party!

We thought Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party would be the perfect ending to the perfect trip. We had ADRs for Liberty Tree Tavern at 4:10 but our tickets wouldn't let us in until 4:00. I was a little worried about being late to dinner, so we got to the park a little early to line up to get it. We decided to take the ferry over to MK since we hadn't been on it yet. We got there about 3:50 and they were already letting people in- in fact there wasn't any line at all! I'm not sure what time they started letting people in but it made me wish we had gotten there even sooner. We got our wristbands and were on our way to LTT. It was an early enough ADR that we didn't have to wait at all- we did take a few pictures.

DSCF3216.jpg

The boys thought it was very funny that Sam's apple juice looked like beer when it was in a mug. Sam went to the restroom and told the brothers not to touch his drink- so of course William and Nathan both took a drink and had me take a picture to prove it. Here is Sam drinking his "beer" - notice that Nathan is about to shoot a straw paper at Sam.

DSCF3218.jpg

And here is the "proof" that the other boys snuck a drink.

DSCF3221.jpg

DSCF3220.jpg

The character interaction was great and the food was good also- one of our favorites

DSCF3232.jpg

DSCF3237.jpg

Notice that Nathan has turkey hanging out of his mouth- ah!makes you proud!

DSCF3230.jpg

We went to the Tiki room " under new management" because we didn't get a chance to go to it on Tuesday. At Disneyland, our tradition is to get a dole whip float and eat it while watching the show. Unfortunately they don't allow food or drink in the tiki room at WDW. Now, about the show. If you have seen the tiki room at DL- you know the show that Walt loved- you will hate this show. I have to think that Walt is rolling over in his grave over this show. Well, maybe that is a bit too strong. We watched the parade- we were ab le to just walk up right when it started and got front row- we were across from the Hall of Presidents. We rode the Tomorrow land speedway several times- I think htat is what it is called. It is forever Autopia to us! The boys love driving without hands! We then went on Goofy's barnstormer- every time we came back to the beginning, the CM would ask us if we wanted to ride again. We rode it 8 times in a row without getting off. THen we went for some pictures with Mickey. We got some great pictures on Photopass but the CM offered to take pictures with our camera and she had some problems. Mickey was great with Nathan. The best interaction we had the entire time.

DSCF3247.jpg

I then forced the boys to go get pictures with the Princesses. They were not happy about it and I promised I wouldn't take any pictures with our camera- but photo pass did! Nathan was in front and Aurora reached up to pinch his cheek- he thought it was a brother so he swatted her hadn away. Yes, Nathan backhanded a Princess! I'm sure she was glad when we were gone!

Nathan got very tired that night. Tucker carried him around for a while

DSCF3257.jpg

but then I remembered that we could get free wheelchair rental!

David's mom had given the boys coins to "throw them in the fountain". David went to WDW the year it opened. I asked him if there was some special fountain. He couldn't remember one- did he ask his mom? Of course not! So we searched and found a wishing will outside the Castle. We took picutres of the boys throwing in their coins as proff that we did it.

DSCF3254.jpg

I finally asked her about it this weekend and there wasn't any "special" fountain- she just figured there would be some place to throw coins! The boys each bought a special souvenir. Sam bought 4 baseballs from each of the parks ( he collects baseballs), Tuckern adn William both got crystal Mickeys and Nathan got a crystal Mickey that had a base to be etched in and had " Nathan Make a Wish 2008" put on it.

Nathan was very , very cold so he and I hung out at Crystal Palace and drank cocoa while the others rode some rides. We managed to make it until fireworks but then Nathan was just beat!

DSCF3251.jpg

Photopass got some great pictures of the boys in front of the castle. I ordered the CD- once I get it I'll post them. You can post them , can't you?

Well, that is the end of the trip. The next morning we ate breakfast, and ice cream, and headed to the airport.

It was an incredible trip. It was like no other. We still prefer DL but are very glad we went to WDW for Nathan's wish trip-especially because of GKTW.

I might have bit and pieces to add later, but Tucker need the computer for a project!

Yea! I was able to get another one of our computers to connect on the internet!

Ok...I am totally in tears. Maybe I am too emotional...but you got me on the first post (AK/Epcot day) when you explained how much having a child with special needs affects the whole family. That is so true! I think that is what is so hard for Lauren's family...they have Lauren's issues...and her dad with the diabetes and her brother has digestive issues, too. So all of the problems affect all of them...it's hard for them.

anyway...your pictures were awesome. I am so jealous that you guys made it to Epcot. I really wanted to do the Test Track lounge!! :)

Your take on the Christmas party is so interesting. It is so neat and noteworthy how much each thing is different to each family. Your kids, being older, seem to have not been as "into" the GKTW parties as much? They were more interested in the putt putt, swimming, etc. But other families that have younger kids seem to LOVE the parties...especially Christmas! But I am glad your kids enjoyed it...

What gifts did they pick? If you don't mind my asking...I wonder if William would have liked what they had?

But...my tears...I think... are from the fact that you took time out of your trip to thank the One who brought you through all of this...Wow. I wish we had done that. How sad. :( We didn't even see the chapel.

Wonderful update!

I can't wait to hear about the Very Merry Christmas Party!

Yes, GKTW seems to be geared more towards younger kids- at least the parties seem to. I kept thinking how magical it would have been to be there with a younger child. I thought the Mayor Clayton tuck in would have been fun ( they told us Ms Merry would get the kids calmed down and to sleep but if you chose Mayor Clayton, he would have the kids hyped up and jumping on the beds- how fun!) but Nathan absolutely refused! I was worried that my boys would find the entire place too babyish but they didn't at all. They thought it was just magical. Their only complaint was that ALL the chairs in the Gingerbread house were small.

At the Christmas party the boys decided they would each get a different gift and share. Tucker got a nerf football ( which they played with in the pool), William got Trivial Pursuit- 90s edition, Sam got a mini-media player. It is supposed to hold an hours worth of video- but he hasn't tried it yet. And Nathan got yahtzee. That was pretty much all they had for older boys. I'm sure it varies a lot but it really seemed like they tried to get a few choices for each age group/sex.

The chapel was a moving experience for us. Something about it reminded me of the chapel in the hospital we would visit so often when Nathan was in the NICU. As I knelt beside my husband, it took me back 10 years prior when we would kneal and ask God to take care of our son and prepare us for whatever HE had in store for Nathan. And here we were 10 years later, enjoying Disney World with him. Yes, I wish He had chosen to completely heal his heart without any lingering effects but we truly are so blessed for what He has given us. And who knows, maybe some day a complete healing will take place. But even if it doesn't, we are truly blessed for each day we have. Yes, I cried in the chapel- like you, Mary, I am a crier- a very sensitive, emotional person. In my younger days, I would apologize for it but not anymore. When David and I first met ( on a blind date) he asked me if I could describe myself in one word, what would it be. I said, " sensitive". He said, " As in OVER sensitive?" I said, " maybe". But that didn't scare him off- 1 week later he told me he loved me and 6 months later he asked me to marry him. I knew I would eventually find the right guy who "got" me!

I can imagine it is very hard for Lauren's family- her poor mother pulled in so many directions. They are very lucky to have you!

Thanks so much for sharing with us. You make me want to leave now...

Also wish your OSU boy's had upset OU so my Tech Boy's could be playing this weakend.

Gosh, what a wonderful trip! The pictures are great and you can tell that everyone had a great time!!!! :)

Thanks so much for sharing with us. You make me want to leave now...

Also wish your OSU boy's had upset OU so my Tech Boy's could be playing this weakend.

Sorry we couldn't help you out-lol! Hey , we did root for Tech when they were playing Baylor- does that count for anything?

Watching the OU/OSU game was a bit odd at my house. I graduated form OSU and david from OU. Tucker is a die hard OU fan ( and plans to go there) William is die hard OSU. Sam and Nathan both lean towards OU. But we all want to see an Oklahoma school do well/play for a national championship, etc ( there was a time I couldn't say that though). So William and I conceded that it would be better for OU to win- but then when David said they really needed to win big to jump above Texas-well, that was hard to swallow! So at least we held our own for most of the game- and then William and I "okayed" it for OU to score those extra points at the end-lol!

Sorry we couldn't help you out-lol! Hey , we did root for Tech when they were playing Baylor- does that count for anything?

Watching the OU/OSU game was a bit odd at my house. I graduated form OSU and david from OU. Tucker is a die hard OU fan ( and plans to go there) William is die hard OSU. Sam and Nathan both lean towards OU. But we all want to see an Oklahoma school do well/play for a national championship, etc ( there was a time I couldn't say that though). So William and I conceded that it would be better for OU to win- but then when David said they really needed to win big to jump above Texas-well, that was hard to swallow! So at least we held our own for most of the game- and then William and I "okayed" it for OU to score those extra points at the end-lol!

I wish OU hadn't scored those extra points on Tech, cause then maybe we could have been above Texas...

Just finished reading the rest of your trip report.

It's so nice that you got a chance to go to the Chapel to say thank you. Those stained Glass windows are so pretty, in fact the Chapel as a whole looks too beautiful.

It was nice that you spent a little time at the village even though your kids are older. Becca is really looking forward to the village but she is a very young 12 and hasnt got any intention of growing up, she says growing up is boring.

I had to laugh at the photos of an empty Universal Studios, it looked closed :) :)

Mandy

I ordered a book through photopass- it is very cool. A friend at work told me about it or else I wouldn't have known about it. You do the entire thing on-line. You can use photopass pictures and your own pictures downloaded. Then you pick out your backgrounds, layouts and type in your text. It is leather bound and on the front I had them inscribe " Nathan's Make-A-Wish trip November 16-22, 2008.

It only took a week or so to get here. We also ordered one to give to my in-laws for Christmas!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter