• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Nasty food in parks??

We got Turkey Legs at Epcot on New Years Eve...before this night my wife and I loved them, but I think the fact that they were so busy and they were probably working like crazy backstage fixing those things it ruined them. They were literally dripping with grease even 10-20 minutes after eating them. I usually could eat a whole one and help the wife with hers....but when I couldn't finish mine and she threw half of hers away. There was so much grease and nastiness that I'm probably never getting one again.

I had a hot dog at Casey's on Sunday and was VERY disappointed...extremely salty...I could only eat half of it...

I second this!

I can not tell you what a horrible horrible horrible experience we just had this past week, specifically February 5th, 2009. We were at MK Frontierland and purchased a turkey leg for all of us, Hubby, me and both children. About an an Hour or more later our stomachs were off and had to leave cause we felt really bad. By the time we got back to our place I could barely make it to the bathroom and puked endlessly, following my episode the rest of the family either had the runs or through up. This was DEFINITELY not a virus, two days following we had fever, head pain, stomach cramps, diziness and so on. My husband was so dehydrated I was nervous flying home on Sat. This was definitely Salmonella poisoning without a doubt. I remember eating the leg thinking that I had a very horrible taste and felt and uncomforable full feeling. Myself and my 11 and 9 year old didn't finish them but my husband ate the most. This is the most horrifying experience I had ever in my life experienced. I made a claim with disney because I know this was poisoning. I say DON'T EAT THE TL'S DISGUSTING DISGUSTING DISGUSTING. Just thinking about it makes me nauseated.

Yakitori House is the only place my wife and I will not go back to. Dry sticky rice and fatty meat. We did not enjoy it, but we both loved the ginger cake...

I am not a fan of Mama Melrose, but if I had to eat there I would.

I would also recommend that you stay away from the turkey legs. I did not get ill like the previous poster, but it did make me feel queezy after I had a few bites. My wife on the other hand can keep it down. :confused3

I would also recommend that you stay away from the turkey legs. I did not get ill like the previous poster, but it did make me feel queezy after I had a few bites. My wife on the other hand can keep it down. :confused3

But for $6.50 or whatever it should be good enough that you can "keep it down" don't you think? lol

We have never had a "nasty" meal at Disney. We have had a few that were wonderful (Flying Fish-a great dinner) and a few that we didn't like because the theme or staff were not to our liking (Whispering Canyon was a big mistake for us!) but we find the majority of the food to be just as would be expected of any establishment serving thousands of entrees a day. The dogs and burgers taste like those from most cafeterias or counter-type restaurants and the TS meals taste like the quality of most chain restaurants. We just enjoy the different themes, we appreciate the variety Disney tries to offer, and hope we never run into the Turkey Leg from hell. (So sorry for your sickness-that is terrible.) We've had turkey legs many times and enjoy the smokey flavor. But maybe they've changed the preparation techniques.
For us, it's similar to going to the state fair. The times when it excels that criteria, we are overjoyed. And WDW usually excels at least once or twice a trip. We've never gone hungry at Disney.

When we went in 2007 we had a mixed bag as meals went. Most were good, a few were so-so like Sci-Fi and Liberty Tree, but the one place that was just positively horrible was Garden Grill. It was so inedible that we left after just a few bites. Considering how starved we were, that's saying something. We ended up going downstairs and eating at Sunshine Seasons, which we love.

purchased a turkey leg for all of us, Hubby, me and both children. About an an Hour or more later our stomachs were off
This was definitely Salmonella poisoning without a doubt.

Timing's wrong for it to have been the turkey leg, then. 6 hours is the early end of symptom onset. If it was the turkey leg, then Staph A is the most-likely culprit. If you had a confirmed case of salmonella, though, it wasn't the turkey.

Timing's wrong for it to have been the turkey leg, then. 6 hours is the early end of symptom onset. If it was the turkey leg, then Staph A is the most-likely culprit. If you had a confirmed case of salmonella, though, it wasn't the turkey.[/QUOT

Trust me I believe hole heartedly it was the turkey.

Since you didn't specify only CS restaurants, I have to add that the only place we will never return is San Angel Inn. We've tried it 3 different times, and had some major complaint each time, most centered around the food itself.

We always eat at ABC at least once each trip. It's not great, but we find it better than most with something for everyone in our group. I usually get the fish, but the burgers aren't too bad. I would have to agree with the advice to stay away from the chicken curry though. Also not wild about Casey's.

At Epcot, I would highly recommend Sunshine Seasons. I think it's possibly the best CS place in all of WDW.

I can not tell you what a horrible horrible horrible experience we just had this past week, specifically February 5th, 2009. We were at MK Frontierland and purchased a turkey leg for all of us, Hubby, me and both children. About an an Hour or more later our stomachs were off and had to leave cause we felt really bad. By the time we got back to our place I could barely make it to the bathroom and puked endlessly, following my episode the rest of the family either had the runs or through up. This was DEFINITELY not a virus, two days following we had fever, head pain, stomach cramps, diziness and so on. My husband was so dehydrated I was nervous flying home on Sat. This was definitely Salmonella poisoning without a doubt. I remember eating the leg thinking that I had a very horrible taste and felt and uncomforable full feeling. Myself and my 11 and 9 year old didn't finish them but my husband ate the most. This is the most horrifying experience I had ever in my life experienced. I made a claim with disney because I know this was poisoning. I say DON'T EAT THE TL'S DISGUSTING DISGUSTING DISGUSTING. Just thinking about it makes me nauseated.

Sorry you all got sick, that must have been awful.

However, I've eaten multiple TLs at WDW and never gotten sick, must have been a rare exception.. Also, if something tastes "off" or looks wrong, I'd have brought it back immediately so they didn't sell anymore.

I know you may not want to hear this, but it could well have been a virus...all of your symptoms match, particularly for Norovirus. :scratchin I say this because of the fever, most of the food poisoning things aren't significant for fever.

There has been Norovirus at WDW before and has been rearing it's ugly head recently...that's most likely the culprit.

At any rate, hope you're all feeling better.

Yes! I agree! What is going on with the sewage tasting water? You would think they would be able to do something about that. I LOVE water! I drink so much of it, but when I go down there, I just can't get it down.

All water in FL is like that. Believe it or not, it's nastier in Tampa...(ummm... don't look on the label of your Zephyrhills...lol.....):rotfl2:

Timing's wrong for it to have been the turkey leg, then. 6 hours is the early end of symptom onset. If it was the turkey leg, then Staph A is the most-likely culprit. If you had a confirmed case of salmonella, though, it wasn't the turkey.
I think that when people get sick after eating something most people are turned away from it. I agree they're just pinning it on the turkey, because it's the last thing they ate before the stomach virus symptoms hit.

I think all of the scientific facts in the world aren't going to convince this person, it's to be expected. Even if they know deep down on an intellectual level that it wasn't the turkey leg, they will be nervous about consuming it in the future. I'm the same way with tequila:lmao: That's why this will be my last post on this matter. If they won't eat the TLs that's their perogative. More for me.:)

It may not be food, but oh my goodness, the water at WDW is terrible! It tastes horrible and it's everywhere. It even makes me feel gross after a shower.

As far as food goes, I'm getting a little nervous about booking the dining plan. Thinking back, we have had quite a few bad meals on property. I hope we can find 7 days worth of places to go...

How is the counter service at the Value Resorts? Are they any good? As many times as I've stayed there, I can't say that I've ever eaten there. I just booked the dining plan, and we were planning on doing breakfasts there. Is this a good idea? What's your experiences with it in the past?

We always stay at Pop and the breakfast there is great! They have pancakes, waffles etc..... Check out the menu, there's bound to be something that everyone likes. We've never gotten a bad meal there.:thumbsup2

With so many trips under my belt, I've eaten at just about every place. I'm not very picky and I do not have high expectations as we are talking theme park food here, not fine dining.

The only places I would definitely not go back to are Pecos Bills and San Angel Inn. I also did not care for Yak n Yeti CS or TS but it wasn't awful, just not worth the price, IMO.

ABC Commisary at Hollywood Studios. We had hamburgers and those were the most bland and dry things I have ever had. :mad: BLECH! We won't go back there.

San Angel Inn - uggh
Yakatori House - never again, they couldnt even get the beverages right.
Tomorrowland Terrace - once was enough
The Wave - food was ok, not the best of selections but the restaurant was noisy and cold. Made us really miss Concourse Steakhouse!

I always recommend Flame Tree to my friends. We always get the BBQ BEEF sands and slaw and I like the key lime pie.
We didn't care for the Brats in Germany and some PB&Chocolate dessert at Pecos Bills. We love Tuna sands at Columbia Harbor House and the CS in Mexico is good food at a great price!

After MANY trips (but keep in mind we are easy to please), the only place I didn't like was Hollywood & Vine but I would give it another shot:thumbsup2 I look forward to many of the places that others have disliked ie Sci Fi (always a request from DS), Flame Tree (I love it), Pizza Planet & Pizzafari (our kids love it) and Mama Melrose (whole extended family enjoyed it as had the best server ever). So as others have stated, it is hard to plan your meals around other's expectations or tastes. Keep an open mind and enjoy whatever you choose:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter