Nassau

tarheel@sea

Pixie Dust Engineer
So if you got off the ship in Nassau (or plan to) what did you do (or plan to do)?

I have already done Atlantis, the dolphin thing and been through the straw Market/city tour. I can't find another excursion that interests me--but there has to be something out there-- I must be missing something!

Thanks for sharing-

We are in the same boat. We did the Catamaran Sail & Reef Snorkeling when we were there last. It was nice and we saw great fish. It was probably the best snorkling we have ever done. But we really aren't too sure what else to do. I am not a shopper and we're not sure if Atlantis is really worth the money. Does anyone know if they have horse drawn carriages that do short tours? I could have sworn I saw some when we were there last. If so, do you know if they need to be rented ahead of time?

We're in the same boat, so to speak. Already seen Atlantis, swam with the dolphins (would love to do this again, but it's already book up), and been shopping. Not interested in snorkeling and not really into the beach scene. Just me (25) and my mom (53).

We were planning on staying on the ship for a while...then maybe wandering into town for some shopping...unless someone can suggest an excursion worth doing. :confused3

We are in the same boat. We did the Catamaran Sail & Reef Snorkeling when we were there last. It was nice and we saw great fish. It was probably the best snorkling we have ever done. But we really aren't too sure what else to do. I am not a shopper and we're not sure if Atlantis is really worth the money. Does anyone know if they have horse drawn carriages that do short tours? I could have sworn I saw some when we were there last. If so, do you know if they need to be rented ahead of time?

They do indeed have carriage tours - not arranged through Disney. I actually chatted with a driver, but I can't remember the price he quoted me (which like most everything else in Nassau is negotiable). It might be a nice way to do some sightseeing. I'd ask at the tourist desk right there at the docks when you get off the ship. There were several carriages lined up, so I don't think advance reservations are needed or even available.

We thought the snorkeling was pretty terrific, too. Atlantis is nice, but when all is said and done, it's just a big ol' resort, albeit a spectacular one.

In Dreamfnder's excellent trip report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1758672 , he talked of an amazing walking tour that dh and I are seriously considering doing. Here's the site from Frommers for this tour:
http://www.frommers.com/destinations/newprovidence/0251010008.html

Looks like a lot of fun! So there's an idea for you. :)

Also, Dreamfinder, thanks again for the best trip report I've ever read! You really helped me and I can't tell you how much I appreciate it! :flower3:

I can't believe we'll soon be there!! :banana:

In Dreamfnder's excellent trip report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1758672 , he talked of an amazing walking tour that dh and I are seriously considering doing. Here's the site from Frommers for this tour:
http://www.frommers.com/destinations/newprovidence/0251010008.html

Looks like a lot of fun! So there's an idea for you. :)

Also, Dreamfinder, thanks again for the best trip report I've ever read! You really helped me and I can't tell you how much I appreciate it! :flower3:

I can't believe we'll soon be there!! :banana:

:blush:

You are too kind. And I thought the walking tour is a great way to spend part of a morning.

Nassau sometimes gets no respect. I think you've got to get just a little off the beaten path to appreciate it.

Our last RCCL, we did the America's Cup. It was an experience I will never forget. I wasn't paying attention and I ended up on my back, nearly overboard! I would go again.

:blush:

You are too kind. And I thought the walking tour is a great way to spend part of a morning.

Nassau sometimes gets no respect. I think you've got to get just a little off the beaten path to appreciate it.

Not being kind...just truthful! :)

I agree...people need to get off the beaten path. It's fantastic to experience other cultures and places when you can! :thumbsup2

The Bristish Colonial is near the port isn't it? Does anyone know if you can use their beach without getting a room?

The Bristish Colonial is near the port isn't it? Does anyone know if you can use their beach without getting a room?

I've heard of people going to the beach at Nassau who were on the Wonder, so I believe you can. :)

We found a taxi driver and had him drive us around. There is a lighthouse on the island and we wanted to see it...we like lighthouses. Nothing too grand but the view over there was wonderful. He drove us around for a few hours taking us to local interest. It has been awhile but it was fun. I always go to my local AAA or you can get a book from the bookstore about the ports and then decide what we want to see. The taxi's are pretty cheap and they will tell you stories you might not get on a regular tour. You just need to get a chatty one and ask questions!

Have fun.

Yep. We did that in April. They charged us $20 pp. You get to use their pool and beach and they have a restaurant there if you need food or beverages. It's a really nice hotel and the staff was Disney-nice :)

Yep. We did that in April. They charged us $20 pp. You get to use their pool and beach and they have a restaurant there if you need food or beverages. It's a really nice hotel and the staff was Disney-nice :)

Hmmm...tempting! But I'm thinking with 2 days at CC we'll have plenty of beach time (but IS there such a thing? ;) )

Is the beach awesome enough to compete with CC?

Hmmm...tempting! But I'm thinking with 2 days at CC we'll have plenty of beach time (but IS there such a thing? ;) )

Is the beach awesome enough to compete with CC?

I have a couple of photos posted from the British Colonial beach. It's a small thing ... one photo is from the beach itself, and the other is from the Wonder looking down toward the hotel, and you can see the beach out in front. Just click the link.

It's nice enough, but I sure wouldn't describe it as awesome, and is nowhere in the league of CC, methinks.

Thanks.

I have been there before, just not on a cruise. My dad is actually from the Bahamas. I wanted to do a quick beach visit with my daughter who has never been but loves the ocean (trying to sneak in without having to wait for relatives to meet us at the port for such a short visit. That's if my parents don't tell :rolleyes: ).

We'll probably do a carriage ride, straw market and BC beach.

Do you just go to check-in and tell them you're with DCL?

Do you just go to check-in and tell them you're with DCL?

I walked in and asked the concierge about a "day pass" to the beach. He directed me to the front desk. I don't think they care if you're from DCL. The lady working at the desk said it would be $20 for the adults and $1000 for my son (2yo). Seeing this as my first opportunity to barter in the Bahamas I offered $20 for the adults and $0 for my son :) She accepted my offer.

Yes, it's another beach and no, it's not nearly as nice as CC. But it's a fairly controlled environment. My son had *way* more fun here than at the family beach at CC. There were maybe 15 people on the beach so he had lots of space to figure things out (first time on a beach) without people stepping over him or on him.

Some of my Nassau pics:
2441880284_c9e45f2804.jpg

2441879822_60893f4211.jpg

Sea Canoes are included in your day pass. Here's my mom trying to figure out how to turn
2441051489_3478962091.jpg

We just got back from our 4 night and we really did not want to even go into Nassau. But we decided to just go to the shops. We were approached by a man who runs his own tours. Very nice with a really nice taxi-van. He charged $25 a person for a 3 hour tour of the island. We went everywhere! Rich part, poor part, the historical sites, including the fort and Queen's staircase, Cable Beach area and paradise island. At Atlantis we got out and he gave us a tour. He was the most knowledgeable man. it was the best tour ever. We went with another family of three. He knew everything about the island. I have his card if anyone is interested.:cheer2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter