Nassau? Worth leaving the ship? We live near a beautiful beach...

stevenpensacola

<font color=red>Sometimes I sits and thinks, and s
Considering where I live (and have always lived) in Pensacola, Florida, about 30 minutes from beautiful Pensacola Beach, is it worth it to go on any of the excursions available on Nassau? The shopping does not interest us. Scenery would be top priority, as is not breaking the bank. What do the experts recommend? Thanks.

I was on the March 11 Disney Wonder sailing, which went to Nassau. We got off the ship and walked around the town for about an hour and then went back to the ship. If you do get off, I would suggest doing an excursion rather than winging it.

The pools are not as crowded and I just love that ship!! So last time I did not even step off in Nassau. :sunny:

I think If I do the 4 day Wonder again I may check out Atlantis??? We did the horse drawn Carriage ride through Nassau the first time and that was kind of fun and interesting. Did not take too long either.

Have fun whatever you decide!! :cool1:

The beaches will not be the fine sugar white sand beaches you have at P'cola beach, plus the surf will be alot rougher. I think the suggestion of the horse drawn carriage ride is a good one.

We did the discover atlantis excursion which was really neat. It starts with a brief bus tour of Nassau (not really that interesting but you get to hear some of the history) and then a tour of the atlantis aquarium and hotel. Then you get some free time to either check out the hotel and aquarium on your own or go shopping.

This was a nice excursion however given that we were unable to dock at castaway I wish we would have taken advantage of the beach (because we, unlike you, do not live near a beach).

The comments I heard about Nassau is that it isn't the safest place to be and the locals can really bug you to buy things or get hair braids.

If you really love the ship then you could take advantage of the less crowded areas, however if you are like us and have never been to Nassau you can do a quick excursion and say that you've been there!

If you are getting off the ship to go to the beach..stay on....the beaches in the panhandle of Fla are some of the most beautiful in the world.

If you are looking for something else like history or tour of the island I would get off and do one of the trips the others on this thread have suggested.

We got off so we could get our passports stamped (not necessary but we wanted to) -- shopped for about an hour and then we went back to the ship -- Nassau is awful and I don't plan to go back anytime soon (crowded, pushy people, etc.) -- maybe if we checked out Atalantis or something I feel differently -- but, we loved getting back on and enjoying the ship. Would do it the same way again ....

A quick question (sorry for butting in)... are there any port charges (embarkation, customs, etc.) involved with visiting Nassau?

Very easy to get off the ship in Nassau...Just make sure you have your Key to the world card and Picture ID to get back on the ship....Very easy! :cool1:

We only got off for a short time to shop and take the carriage ride. I think we got back on by 1:00 pm. :rotfl:

Bye! :banana:

The first cruise (3-day) we got off and just kinda wandered around. Didn't dig that at all. The second cruise (4-day) we went over to Atlantis and took the tour. That was kinda neat, but a lot of walking.

I believe next time, we're going to stay on board. It's only a 3-day (on the back end of a land/sea), and I don't want to feel rushed or pressured. So a day of lounging on a mostly empty ship followed by a day of lounging on a mostly deserted beach?

Yeah, I could get into that...

I never read about the blue laoggon beach. Can you get there by taxi or only by tour? Any one been there ?

I never read about the blue lagoon beach. Can you get there by taxi or only by tour? Any one been there ?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter