Nassau safety

johnson5

Earning My Ears
I have just started researching different things to do while on port. I've read that a lot of people stay on the ship. I've also read there is a lot of crime on the port. I know use common sense, but For those that have been there before did ever feel unsafe? I will be traveling with a 5yr old and 18m old.

I have just started researching different things to do while on port. I've read that a lot of people stay on the ship. I've also read there is a lot of crime on the port. I know use common sense, but For those that have been there before did ever feel unsafe? I will be traveling with a 5yr old and 18m old.

Although it's been awhile since I've gone, been there three times, both with and without kids and never felt unsafe. Walked to the Pirate Museum, up to the fort, and perused the many shops around the port area. Even went to the straw market - although I didn't particularly care for that venue, I still felt safe.

I never felt unsafe. I only felt awkward or bad having a stroller, I saw several bahamian women juggling 3-4 very small children with no stroller. I almost wanted to offer my stroller to one woman, she was carrying 3 babies.

We've been there 4 times and I don't remember ever feeling unsafe. Even when I was there alone, it wasn't uncomfortable to me. I surprised my DH and DD by using a local tour guide instead of a ship tour. They can be intimidating, but they are just trying to make a living.

I thought the area around the port was very sketchy but didn't feel unsafe. I did feel unsafe on the bus ride to Atlantis though, people drive like nuts there. That being said, we plan to stay on the boat this year and enjoy what the Dream has to offer over what the Island has.

I agree, we were on the Dream in Sept and we walked around for about 45 mins. We were glad it stared raining so we return to the ship. Next time we will stay on too.

We didn't do any excursions but just walked around for a couple of hours. We saw the fort, the queens staircase and the straw market. We did get turned around when looking for the fort and ended up in a not so nice area but once we got our bearings straight all was good. We found people to be friendly and helpful for the most part. I hated the straw market but I hate our area flea markets too. But my dd loved the straw market and loved haggling with the vendors.

I thought the area around the port was very sketchy but didn't feel unsafe. I did feel unsafe on the bus ride to Atlantis though, people drive like nuts there. That being said, we plan to stay on the boat this year and enjoy what the Dream has to offer over what the Island has.

Sketchy is a word I would use too. Not unsafe, but we were much happier to get back on the ship.

A cab driver on the way to Atlantis told us it was not safe at night for females traveling alone. We were cautious but always back on ship before it gets dark.

It's been 2 years since I've been to Nassau, but I've never felt unsafe. I would have no problem walking around the downtown area with a 5 yr old and a 18m old. It's not World Showcase at Epcot, and a lot of Caribbean ports are kind of seedy, but I think Nassau is one of the nicer ones.

My advice is to do your research and decide if there are some things you wold like to see and do in Nassau. Bay Street is just a short walk from the ship and has plenty of cool shops to explore. Fort Fincastle and Queens Staircase are a bit farther from the ship, and would be a tough walk with 2 little ones.

Whatever you decide, enjoy your cruise!

We didn't get off the boat, I don't care for sketchy or dicey. Atlantis is very overpriced and yes nice but we didn't feel the need to go over there. The straw market is very high pressure sales, people will touch you and pull you over to their products, no thanks!

Sketchy is a word I would use too. Not unsafe, but we were much happier to get back on the ship.

Agree with both of these. Have been there twice, and while we didn't necessarily feel like someone was going to mug you at the first possible opportunity or anything, it was definitely uncomfortable, especially if you stray out of the immediate tourist areas. We tried to eat at a restaurant not that far from the ship, and no matter what we said we wanted, they were "out". They said they were out of about five things before we gave up.

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/articles/crime/

This site has most of the recent issues with Nassau listed on it with links to clickthrough so you can read about them. That being said, we've been twice and didn't have any issues. To me, it is similar to going through the downtown area of a city and you should pay attention to your surroundings and listen to that little voice in your head that says "good/bad idea". Such as, going to a tourist area wearing $10k in showy jewelry, flashing $100 bills everywhere, and then later being surprised that you get robbed. That is an example of a bad idea. That being said, some of the digital cameras that people will carry with them and use can be a target for theives as well. But this is simple common sense that most people would follow if they went for a walk through their nearest downtown/city area, but for some reason place it on hold while on vacation.

I was only concerned once while walking to the Pirate Museum, but it was a fluke. Why concerned? Somehow in the middle of all the bustle and activity with cars and people, I found the only road with NO ONE on it, cars or people. My brain said "bad idea" to walk down that way since there would be no witnesses if something bad were to have happened. That was out of ordinary for that area, so I thought it would be prudent to avoid. Never know if it was a good or bad decision. Pirate Museum was interesting. I'd still like to take the walking tour around Nassau, but seems like some of the highpoints of the tour are where people are running into pickpockets/theives.

Regardless, do your research and enjoy your trip! :thumbsup2

I have been to Nassau 20 plus times since 2010 and feel safe. It is a poorer country that relies on tourism, and is not disney-fied (meaning you will see peeling paint and trash. The people are wonderful. and the local beer - Kalik is quite tasty!

This is the port I was concerned about also. I'll be traveling with my husband and 18-year old son, so I'm not terribly concerned, but you never know.

I haven't looked at any of the shore excursions for this port yet. Was hoping to do something fun, but would also be happy with a bit of shopping and then back to the boat.

We dont do much in the city other than buy rum cakes and straw bags. We hop a ferry to Blue Lagoon or take A catamaran snorkel tour. In fact, I don't do many tours on any island of any city. I go to the fish. Usually the fish are off the beaten path and more secure. Nassau is best to have a plan or tour planned, or stay on the ship (unless senior frogs is your thing, as it's right there.). Don't flash a lot of cash, don't wander away from the main tour areas, common sense stuff in any city. An excursion that includes transport should help with security. Places like Blue Lagoon are secure for the most part (only ferry island guests or employees) which cuts down on all the "let me braid your hair!" 'Buy this , buy that" pressure. I still LOVE Nassau and would go in a minute since all 3 of my visits in the last 14 months has been delightful.

I am a Disney newbie but Nassau veteran, regularly traveling there since the 1980's. The crime has gotten bad, compared to better days. I read the Nassau Guardian and am surprised by the crime the island is now compared to the past. I would not walk around downtown as a mother of young kids myself these days, particularly since you have never been.

But there are still great things to do. For a really low-key, laid back excursion with your little ones, the Adastra Gardens is amazing. It isn't Disney, as it is very laid back, but the scale of it and the interactions are perfect for your kids.

The flamingo show is fun, and there are so many great photo ops with the kids and the different birds and animals.

I would just take a taxi there and have the gardens call you one when you are ready to leave.

I never felt unsafe in Nassau. We ventured as far as the Queen's Staircase and Fort Fincastle. We also walked around the downtown area. It's not World Showcase but I didn't feel that any of the areas were unsafe.

We've found the overall atmosphere in Nassau to be unwelcoming. Lots of people trying, insistently, to sell you anything and everything. You can hardly walk 5' before somebody else tries to sell you the same thing. Just not worth the harassment to us. We stay on board now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter