• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Nassau Question

Sflanigan1110

Earning My Ears
We leave for our Disney Dream Cruise in 57 days (CAN'T WAIT). My question is about our stop in Nassau. It will be my family (me, my wife, and three sons ages 11, 8 and 5) and my brother in laws family (him, his wife and two sons ages 8 and 4). Is it worth it for us to leave the boat in Nassau with the kids or would they have more fun staying on the ship and swimming? We aren't looking to spend the kind of money that Atlantis costs and I know my wife and sister in law would be quite content shopping in Nassau.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm in the minority camp that says you should get off the ship at least for a few hours if you have never been to Nassau. Fort Fincastle and Queen's Staircase are just about a mile walk from the pier, and quite nice to visit. It's not a huge fort, but the views are very pretty. The ladies can shop on the return walk to the ship. Here are a few pics from our recent stop there...

Queen's Staircase area
525947_4073629793095_990369144_n.jpg

View from the fort
548859_4073632953174_1114974155_n.jpg

522942_4073633113178_1887452617_n.jpg

Also, if you have passports (and especially if the kids have passports) you can have them stamped just off the pier. When you exit the ship and pier, you will leave from Festival Place. Everyone heads right when exiting the building. Go left instead. There is a small building inside a chain link fenced area; this is the Immigration Building. Let the guards at the fence gate know you want to have your passports stamped. They will direct you where in the building to have this done (once you enter, go right down the hallway and it's the last office on the right). The folks here are so incredibly friendly!

If you want to take the kids to a beach, but want to keep costs down, Junkanoo Beach is within walking distance of the pier (or a quick jitney/bus ride).

Enjoy!

I agree with iloverags2. It seems a shame to dock in a different country and not set foot off the ship. Actually, you can have it both ways. Get off the ship in the morning and do a little walking around and sightseeing and the go back to the ship for the afternoon. It would be a good cultural experience for your sons. The ladies can stay ashore for a bit more and shop if they wish. We have been to Nssau on two previous cruises and the time that we spend ashore is diminishing, but I don't know if we would ever totally stay on the ship.

I've been wondering this same thing. Need some tips on what to do in Nassau.

Any ideas of where to eat in Nassau? Waking distance from the port preferred, if possible.

Thanks for the opinions, they help tons!!! I was just afraid that there wouldn't be much for my sons to do, but they will like seeing the fort and a couple other things.

Thanks again!!!

I agree with those above! Lots to do and walk around and see in Nassau. We were there last year and couldn't find a lot of places to eat right close, mind you, there were no ships in port! There is a Senor Frogs right outside of the dock area...

Locally, you would need to take a cab to either ($10) but some popular fare is at the Fish Fry or the Poop Deck. Both are highly recommended, but I have never been to either.

Take the kids to the Pirates of Nassau museum! It's not very far at all from the pier and quite interesting and pretty kid friendly. Also not very expensive. We paid the quoted rate, but I have heard you can even dicker with them on the ticket prices!!
There's also a Hard Rock Cafe and a Harley davidson restaurant of some sort in that same general area as Senor Frog. We always just wait and eat when we get back on ship. So can't vouch for food quality.
But I think it's a shame when people don't get off the ship. We have found the Bahamians in the tourist areas to be must nicer, friendlier, and BETTER behaved than the people who LIVE (not visit) in our closest metropolitan city!!! So we have always felt safe in the tourist areas during daylight hours. Go and enjoy!!!

Posted from Disney Forums Reader for Android

I love Nassau. We have gotten off the ship all three times we have gone. I agree that you should at least go site see when you are there. Atlantis is really cool to walk around too. There are plenty of stores to see and I always like trying different food wherever I travel. I stop at the Tortuga Rumcake factory before we come back and sometimes buy some rum. It's really inexpensive as well as other alcohol. You are allowed to take it back to your stateroom and drink it if you would like.
This last time we visited Junkanoo beach and liked it a lot. We then headed back to the ship and pretty much had the pools to ourselves. Just use your common sense and don't carry large amounts of money with you. I have never felt unsafe there although crime can happen anywhere you travel.

I'm in the minority camp that says you should get off the ship at least for a few hours if you have never been to Nassau. Fort Fincastle and Queen's Staircase are just about a mile walk from the pier, and quite nice to visit. It's not a huge fort, but the views are very pretty. The ladies can shop on the return walk to the ship. Here are a few pics from our recent stop there...

Also, if you have passports (and especially if the kids have passports) you can have them stamped just off the pier. When you exit the ship and pier, you will leave from Festival Place. Everyone heads right when exiting the building. Go left instead. There is a small building inside a chain link fenced area; this is the Immigration Building. Let the guards at the fence gate know you want to have your passports stamped. They will direct you where in the building to have this done (once you enter, go right down the hallway and it's the last office on the right). The folks here are so incredibly friendly!

If you want to take the kids to a beach, but want to keep costs down, Junkanoo Beach is within walking distance of the pier (or a quick jitney/bus ride).

Enjoy!

Thanks for all of that! It looks like you were following the path on a website I found that includes a fort and the staircase, etc. It's good to know that people do go on it! :)

We're getting off the ship for a few reasons:

1. I don't want to go to the Bahamas and not step foot ON the island.
2. I want to put my toes on a sandy beach. Since the Cay is the day after, and we're going in February when it's somewhat more possible we won't be able to dock at and visit the Cay, if I don't do it in Nassau I might not be able to do it.
3. I know my son will love the PIrate Museum, and I think DH would, too.

I have no idea what there is there to shop for, so that's not on my list at all. But just BEING there is a good one. Seems like such a waste to be docked off a different country and not step foot ON it.

I would also think your kids would like the pirate museum. This was my kids favorite thing to do in Naussau when we visited a few years ago. The also liked the fort as well. Both are easy to walk and are relatively inexpensive.

About how far (miles, minutes) is the museum, stairs, fort from the boat? My son is 4 and we will have a stroller, he can walk a good distance but wouldn't want to take him too far without it and obviously couldn't to the stairway with it.

DannyDisneyFreak said:
About how far (miles, minutes) is the museum, stairs, fort from the boat? My son is 4 and we will have a stroller, he can walk a good distance but wouldn't want to take him too far without it and obviously couldn't to the stairway with it.

I do NOT walk fast at all!!! and we made it to the pirate museum in approx 15 to 20 min. Nassau is one of the few places I walk because the streets are not conducive to w/c or ecvs as they are patchy/uneven & bumpy IMO (and riding on such an uneven surface would be WAY more painful for me than walking) but we do stop and rest afterwards! IMO if I can walk to the pirate museum, a four y.o. can! It's not that far from the ship...about 6 or so city blocks once you leave festival palace.

Posted from Disney Forums Reader for Android

This is and example of how narrow some of the streets are. Others are just plain buckled. It makes it hard to take a stroller. And the streets are pretty crowded too. We did it but it was a real hassle. There are a ton locals that will tell you to to the "Fish Fry" it's a bunch of vendors near Atlantis and Paradise island. There is also a Conch Fritter place that is pretty popular there too.
101_0211.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter