Nassau excursions

powder

Earning My Ears
just looking for advice on the excursions we have kind of ruled out Atlantis just curious about the dolphin encounter is trip safe how long does it take what is cost is the one in Orlando Florida better or worse ( more expensive) are there other things to do on Nassau dolphin excursion other than the dolphins and sea lions ......... what other things on Nassau are worth doing I'm am also very concerned about safety on Nassau I"m a New York City Police Officer so I am always conscious of safety or people around me, my wife and my self would prefer just to stay on boat but my kids teenagers all want to go on the Island just looking for advice, what to avoid what not to miss what areas to avoid thanks for any information Powder

just looking for advice on the excursions we have kind of ruled out Atlantis just curious about the dolphin encounter is trip safe how long does it take what is cost is the one in Orlando Florida better or worse ( more expensive) are there other things to do on Nassau dolphin excursion other than the dolphins and sea lions ......... what other things on Nassau are worth doing I'm am also very concerned about safety on Nassau I"m a New York City Police Officer so I am always conscious of safety or people around me, my wife and my self would prefer just to stay on boat but my kids teenagers all want to go on the Island just looking for advice, what to avoid what not to miss what areas to avoid thanks for any information Powder

From the crime stats I've seen it seems the criminals are getting more daring. Group robberies are on the increase. Check this link out for the latest.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2337325

Yeah, the best thing you can do in my opinion is stay on the boat. To mine Pete Werner from the Podcasts, 'Stay outta the damn town!!"

I don't know if you are doing the 3 or 4 day, but there is sooo much to do on the ship. I've never been back to Nassau after my first trip and this was before crime problems.

Have you done Discovery Cove at Sea World already? It is a wonderful experience. I would recomend it to anyone.

i changed from Atlantis to blue lagoon island beach day, since the van driving through the town was a bit scary seeing the spraypainted and barred buildings, etc. Blue Lagoon Island sounds better, you get on the high speed catamaran at the pier, so you dont enter the town/city at all... so hopefully that will be a safer choice.

If you stay on the ship at Nassau day, are the pools open, restaraunts open, etc? I am considering just staying on ship.
Lesley

Yes, everything is available on the ship on port days (except shopping which can only open at sea due to certain laws). There are also scheduled activities available. Love the not crowed atmosphere of the ship, though more people might change their minds and stay aboard with new safety issues. Maybe this will encourage Disney to find a new port.

We are going to stay on the boat for most of the day. BUT my DH wants to get some Rum!!! :woohoo: Hopefully we can have the kids stay with their grandparents on the boat.

We did a snorkeling trip in Nassau back in 2004, it was fun. But snorkeling in CC was much better!

-nat

DH and I were discussing this recently as we made the down payment on a double dip next year. We had our hearts set on visiting Atlantis on the Nassau day, but if things don't improve between now and then we might stay on the ship. Ideally Disney would go to a different port instead. We'd be happy going to Miami or Key West! ::yes::

So after all of this, I certainly hope that nobody that is skipping Nassau is planning a trip to our Nation's Capital, Washington, DC. Because if Nassau scares you, you haven't seen anything yet compared to parts of DC. And the crime rate in Washington and/or Baltimore would be enough to never have you leave your home.

I went on the Blue Lagoon dolphin encounter and enjoyed my time there, but I went back onto the ship after getting back.

I'll be a little more adventureous next year in St Maarten and St Thomas.

We're cancelling our Argastra Gardens and City Tour excursion. Better to be safe than sorry. Just going into Nassau to purchase rum cakes, rum and few items and back to the ship. Less time spent on land :sad2: the better. :eek:

The point is, when you are a tourist from a cruise ship on an island, you don't expect to be robbed at gunpoint. Washington DC, NYC, yes, not Nassau. There is some reasonable expectation of safety.

The point is, when you are a tourist from a cruise ship on an island, you don't expect to be robbed at gunpoint. Washington DC, NYC, yes, not Nassau. There is some reasonable expectation of safety.

:lmao: I must be too trusting... I don't ever 'expect' to be robbed at gunpoint!! When we're in Nassau we will just be more aware of our surroundings.
There are bad people everywhere, so I guess you just have to keep your guard up.

-nat

I guess I used the wrong words. My intent was to say, I have more of a chance of being robbed at gunpoint in a major city than at Nassau, not that I expected to be!!!!

Wow, as I am sitting here, I am watching the news and hearing about four policemen that were gunned down in an internet coffee shop in Washington, DC. I rest my case.

Wow, as I am sitting here, I am watching the news and hearing about four policemen that were gunned down in an internet coffee shop in Washington, DC. I rest my case.

Um, That would be Washington State not D.C.....shows it can happen anywhere.

Back to the dolphin question. If by "the one in Orlando" you mean Discovery Cove, I've done it. Discovery Cove was much better than the dolphin stuff I've done in any island. It is the only non-Disney thing I've done that truly was Disney quality. When you are looking at the price, you need to consider that it is a day long, all inclusive experience. We did it a few years ago, but at that time we got a family photo on arrival, parking, wet suits, snorkel equipment (you keep the snorkel), lockers, lunch....30 minutes in water with dolphin is limited by FL law, additional 15 minutes with trainer before water, rest of the day you have full access to their park. And you got a one week pass to Sea World. It involved A LOT more than the dolphin stuff on various islands. Do budget a lot for the photos!

the dolphin excursion should be on P.I, which is totally safe. the ride through downtown to P.I is only like 3 mins, and is safe, most of time, sometimes random crime does happen, but not to tourist. ive lived in nassau and its not that bad as many on these boards claim it to be. new orleans is alot more dangerous than nassau, NYC bronx, neighborhood is more dangerous also

there is alot of poverty but most people wont bother you, trust me, when i first went i was a bit scared but my dad was like dont be a wuss, they wont harm you, and well ive been to some nasty areas, and most of the people were nice and friendly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter