Nassau Blackbeard Cay excursion for non-swimmer?

skylynx

DIS Sponsor in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado
Used the search function, but couldn't find the answer to this one for sure.

DH is essentially a non-swimmer. We went on a snorkel/beach excursion off Magic in Cozumel two years ago, and though non-swimmers couldn't partake in the open water snorkel part from the catamaran deck, they could walk through waist-deep water from where the catamaran was moored on the second half of the tour to reach the beach area and enjoy the beach and shallow water. Does anyone know if you can get off the catamaran on the Blackbeard Cay excursion without having to actually swim? I'm kind of hoping since it says it is a stroller accessible tour that there may even be a dock rather than a wade-to-the-beach entry. The other three family members all have fins and gills, but we need to be sure DH is safe and can still have fun!

Thanks!

We went to Blackbeard Cay. You take about a 30 minutes boat ride to get to the island. The offer many types of excursions. We have done just the beach and also the stingray. There is a beach /swimming area, playground, grill/food, restrooms and a shop. There have been vendors there on occasion.

Thanks...what is most important for me to know is if a non-swimmer can exit the boat to the beach without having to swim (so there is a dock)? On our last snorkel/beach excursion you had to wade through chest deep water from the catamaran to the beach (which was ok, as long as the water wasn't deeper than that).

I don't think it is a catamaran. The boat is more like a double decker ferry boat. It pulls up to a pier at Blackbeard's Cay.

The boat pulls right up to a boat dock and everyone walks off...no need to swim

The stingray part of the experience is actually done in about two feet of water. Even non-swimmers could just stand there and be able to feed the stingrays. My DD (8) did this with her father. My DS (3) preferred to play in the sand. I layed on a beach chair, with a daquiri in one hand and a book in the other. It was lovely.

FYI, Blackbeard Cay is actually the other half of the island that Sandals Royal Bahamian uses as their "private island". Sandals uses half, and the cruise excursion people use the other half. If you look on Sandals website, you may be able to see some photos of it. DH and I stayed at Sandals in 2007 and were pleasantly surprised to see we actually were going back to the place we both loved so much!

Have you folks that have been there had a bad experience with sand fleas or other bugs? The Cruise Critic website and Yahoo reveiws were running about 50/50 of people either loving the island or saying it was dirty and infested with biting bugs. I expect some bugs of course, on a tropical island, but these folks described it as impossible to relax due to biting insects and the aftermath of welts and itching for days. Is bug repellant enough to ward that kind of assault off? I wonder.

Have you folks that have been there had a bad experience with sand fleas or other bugs? The Cruise Critic website and Yahoo reveiws were running about 50/50 of people either loving the island or saying it was dirty and infested with biting bugs. I expect some bugs of course, on a tropical island, but these folks described it as impossible to relax due to biting insects and the aftermath of welts and itching for days. Is bug repellant enough to ward that kind of assault off? I wonder.

We were there in November '08 and I had read all the Cruise Critic stuff about the sand fleas too, so I was nervous. We all used bug spray and didn't have any issues. I didn't see any bugs, but occaisionally I thought I felt something bite . . . but there was never any sign of a bite, so I think it was psychological!!! :rotfl:

Thank you so much for your replies! This shore excursion looked perfect for us and I felt so bad to read some people on the Cruise Critic site posted they'd actually cancelled their shore excursion plans because of the bad reports. I really like to give places the benefit of the doubt! I feel pretty confident we'll go to Blackbeard Cay on our July cruise!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter