• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Nashville, TN

tinkerbell615

DIS Veteran
My family is thinking about taking a short 2 night trip to Nashville, TN at the beginning of August. I have checked hotels and there are so many different areas. We haven't been to TN in about 16 years and at that time, we were in Pigeon Forge. Can anyone recommend which might be the best area with nice, reasonably priced hotels? I have AAA, AARP, Costco and Sam's Club memberships that I might be able to use for discounts. We hope to have my mother and our Grandsons that are 2 and 8 years old. Do you have any suggestions on things to do with them?

Thanks in advance for suggestions and/or ideas.

We stay at the Holiday Inn off Irlo Bronson Pkwy. I "think" it's listed as the "airport" location, but it never seemed "that" close to the airport. Was about a 6 mile drive to Opryland, no interstate needed.

Edit: we like the Zoo there.

We end up in the airport area or brentwood. Both are safe areas, each about 10 minutes from downtown.

Gaylord opryland hotel is the most BEAUTIFUL hotel I've ever seen. It's a great location. It's got everything you could want!

If not there...I would definitely stay in the opry/airport area.

My daughter's cheer team was just there his past season. I had to work so I didn't go but DH and one of my adult sons went. The cheer team stayed at Aloft in Cool Springs. Everyone gave it great reviews, great area near shopping and restaurants. Their competition was at Gaylord Opryland but the same weekend as the NRA conference so Gaylord Opryland was booked!

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/alofthotels/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=3076

I drove through there while on a road trip moving from CO to FL last year. I needed dog friendly, so I found a Hampton Inn in Murfreesboro (I may be spelling that wrong). It was clean, staff was friendly, and it was very comfortable. I think it was right around $100 for the night and just a bit south of the city, IIRC.

Being a Nashville Native-Opryland is beautiful, but extremely pricey. There are things to do near there--like the mall and put-put golf, but honestly it's nothing more than a tourist trap.
Cool Springs will be cheaper and it's a pretty safe area. Lots of things to do a neat places to eat in that area.
We have a wave-pool, near Opryland and Nashville Shores, about 10 miles up further on I-40.
Look and see if there is a children's production at the library or at the children's theatre. Both are near downtown. You can eat at the Spaghetti Factory downtown. It's a neat scene and cheap!

For work I spent a month at Embassy Suites in Murfreesboro, TN. It is a beautiful hotel with shopping and restaurants near by.

I live in Murfreesboro about 45 minutes out of Nashville. What kinds of things do you like to do? Are you wanting country music? Museums? Touristy? The Opryland hotel is nice but it is not in the touristy area. The Downtown area is the most expensive but it also has things to walk to like the Country Music Hall of Fame, the Ryman, and riverrfront area. Unless you are going for the night life, I would stay out of the downtown area and just drive in. I am assuming you have a car. Nashville is not a good city to visit without one. The zoo is okay but not great compared to other cities, but it does have a good playground. The adventure science center is fun for kids and is indoors which is nice in August. Cheekwood, the Frist, the Hermitage are all good. You could get lunch at the Farmer's Market and let the kids play in the fountains at the Bicentennial Mall (free and free parking.) The best downtown restaurant is Demo's which has a 5.99 lunch and is a good local spot. Feel free to ask specific questions and I can try to answer them.

I live in Murfreesboro about 45 minutes out of Nashville. What kinds of things do you like to do? Are you wanting country music? Museums? Touristy? The Opryland hotel is nice but it is not in the touristy area. The Downtown area is the most expensive but it also has things to walk to like the Country Music Hall of Fame, the Ryman, and riverrfront area. Unless you are going for the night life, I would stay out of the downtown area and just drive in. I am assuming you have a car. Nashville is not a good city to visit without one. The zoo is okay but not great compared to other cities, but it does have a good playground. The adventure science center is fun for kids and is indoors which is nice in August. Cheekwood, the Frist, the Hermitage are all good. You could get lunch at the Farmer's Market and let the kids play in the fountains at the Bicentennial Mall (free and free parking.) The best downtown restaurant is Demo's which has a 5.99 lunch and is a good local spot. Feel free to ask specific questions and I can try to answer them.

Thank you very much for all of the information. My mother loves to walk through the museums and she also likes to shop. We're not really night life people. My grandsons are pretty active, so they would probably enjoy playing in the fountains! We really haven't made any decisions yet, so I appreciate your input!

Thank you very much for all of the information. My mother loves to walk through the museums and she also likes to shop. We're not really night life people. My grandsons are pretty active, so they would probably enjoy playing in the fountains! We really haven't made any decisions yet, so I appreciate your input!

If your mother loves museums, don't miss the TN State Museum Open Tuesday - Saturday:10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Free admission. Its downtown.
My daughter and I volunteer at the Nashville Zoo. We love it there. They have the B.E.S.T. playground. In my kids younger years, we'd go to the zoo JUST for the playground. It is huge but with only 1 entrance, and lots of shaded seating for Mom. ;-) If you're a member at your local zoo, they have lots of reciprocity.
The Adventure Science Museum is loads of fun. They have a planetarium, and huge play structure indoors. However it is a mother's nightmare if you can't keep up with the kids as there are MANY entrances/exits to the structure over multiple floors.
The Frist is wonderful. Kids are free, only adults pay. And if you go don't miss the Martin ArtQuest. FREE art activities for kids. My children love it when we go to the Frist. Sometimes we even see the exhibits (which change ~every 6 mos.) ;-)
Cheekwood is an arboretum. Can be hot... Same as the Hermitage.
We enjoyed visiting the Hermitage, but we were also learning about Andrew Jackson in school that month too. We skipped a lot of the 'out buildings' tour as the temps were stifling.
Opry Mills is just a HUGE indoor shopping mall. I think young boys would hate it EXCEPT for the Lego store and maybe the Disney Store.

Welcome to Nashville, TN! :-)

Are you wanting to be in the city? I see people suggesting cool springs and Murfreesboro, but those are just suburban areas. I live about 5 mins from cool springs. It is your typical chain store/restaurant area. Same with Murfreesboro.
If you want to be downtown look for something near Broadway. Then you can walk to some things.
Downtown Franklin has cute shops and restaurants. You could also hit up Carnton plantation while in Franklin.
The Opryland area has plenty of shopping and restaurants as well as the river cruise and grand ole opry.
Have fun planning!

I live 20 minutes north of Nashville in Hendersonville. Personally, we like staying at the Sheraton downtown. The nighttime views are really nice and we enjoy being able to hear the music as we stroll downtown. Opry Mills is fairly close to the airport, so that entire area would be fine. To me Murfreesboro is too far from everything (used to live 25 minutes from there). For the children, I'd say the Zoo, Adventure Science Center, Centennial Park (bring a picnic and some kites), and Nashville Shores. For the adults, Cheekwood, the Hermitage, and the Frist Center are all great.

You can always park at Opry Mills, shop, and cross the parking lot to walk around Opryland. On that day, consider tickets to the Grand Ole Opry for your evening entertainment. My children are 2, but they love the toddler play area and train at Opry Mills, as well as the Landrys restaurants (Rainforest Café and Aquarium).

Have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter