NASA (Kennedy Space Center)

TeachGeekLove

Mouseketeer
I was wondering if anyone could recommend a day plan for visiting the Kennedy Space Center with a 9 year old boy who loves space, but is not an expert? Thanks in advance!

There are 2 plans of attack. Visit the "visitors center" which has a museum and some exhibits. You could spend 2 hours maybe 3 doing that. That was free if not very inexpensive.

NASA pushes for you to do "the tour" which then takes you deeper into the facility, but it is pricey and costs a great deal more.

We spent the morning at the visitors center and the afternoon at the beach (coa coa)

Yes the visitor center is nice but the Atlantis exhibit is amazing and included in the price of admission, the regular bus tour and IMAX films are also included. The launch experience is ok and fun. We could easily spend 2 days there. have your ds go to the official KCS visitor's Center site and see what he wants to do. Meeting an astronaut is really cool for kids that age.

There is some misinformation here. There is nothing free at Kennedy Space Center (KSC). The admission price is currently $50 ($40 for children 3-11). For that price, you have full access to the Visitor Center Complex, including: the Space Shuttle Atlantis, the Shuttle Launch Experience, IMAX movies, Meet an Astronaut, and other exhibits. You also get the standard bus tour. That bus tour shows you several locations, including the Apollo/Saturn 5 Center, which has several theme-park-style shows that recreate important moments in the US space program.

Please note that the KSC website can be slightly confusing because they also sell "Up-Close" tours. These tours cost extra. For first-time visitors, just stick with the standard tour. I gave a mini-review of some of the "Up-Close" tours in this old thread. You may wish to read it because I also have some General Admission tips.

http://disboards.com/threads/kennedy-space-center-tours.3424191/#post-54018815

Parking is an additional $10.

Yep, you just need to buy the standard ticket and go from there. We spent almost an entire day there last summer, and didn't see it all. The boys very much wanted to upgrade to a 2 day ticket (an extra $25 over the original $50 ticket - can do this at the window before you leave).

We arrived soon after opening, went to the visitor center, toured the rocket garden, took the bus tour, which stopped at the Apollo exhibit. We spent a lot of time there and ate at their lunch counter (fairly standard museum food, a little pricey) before catching the bus back to the main site. At the main site, we watched an IMAX film, saw the space shuttle exhibit, and putzed around the gift shop. There were at least 3 buildings we did not do.

We spoke to astronauts and engineers in both the Apollo building and the shuttle exhibit. The boys LOVE that kind of thing, and the guys were extremely knowledgeable and fun to talk to. The exhibits were clean and kid-friendly, and we didn't have to do any of the special "extra" tours to have a good time. Next time, we'll plan to go 2 days.

Be aware that there are tolls from Orlando to KSC, and the trip takes about an hour.

Go through entrance and make your way to the IMAX Center to see the next showing of the Film

then make your way to the tour bus ... which takes you on the site tour etc.

Just Follow the Flow till your are back to the Cinema & then take it from there .

Going in 2 months with 8 and 10 yo boys and have a touring plan setup.

Arriving at open (doing early walk off from the Dream) with prepurchased ticketsatwork tickets printed. Not doing the extra up-close tour.

Get an overview in the IMAX theatre 3D show
Historical options - bus to Apollo/SaturnV
Back to Main area - Atlantis
Lunch
Speak with Astronauts, kids area, other sites.

Leave around 2-3, heading to Universal.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a day plan for visiting the Kennedy Space Center with a 9 year old boy who loves space, but is not an expert? Thanks in advance!

you will definitely need one very full day there to see everything. The bus tour is fine but we never did the add on
extended tour that takes you close to the launch pads. The offsite astronaut hall of fame was included in admission but is permanently closed I believe.

The offsite astronaut hall of fame was included in admission but is permanently closed I believe.

Yes, that's true. They actually are relocating to the main KSC Visitor's Complex. I think the timeline is "late 2016". This is a great thing, as it means people will actually view the exhibits and memorabilia. In the three years I had my KSC annual pass, I never visited the Astronaut Hall of Fame. For me, it was a bit of "out of sight, out of mind".

Going in June. We will have about 5 hrs to spend here. What are you top 3 must do things?

How toddler friendly is it? My youngest wants to be an astronaut when she grows up - so the Space Center is a MUST on our trip... but she'll still be pretty young.

Going in June. We will have about 5 hrs to spend here. What are you top 3 must do things?

• Space Shuttle Atlantis Exhibit: The way the Shuttle is displayed is awe-inspiring and the pre-show is Disney-level in quality. On the ground floor, there is a launch simulator. Located at the main Visitor Center Complex.
  • Bus Tour: The bus tour takes about two hours. The final stop is the Apollo/Saturn V Center. As you enter the building, you go through a show about the launch of Apollo 8 in 1968. There is separate show that details the tense moments that happened during the lunar landing. There are other exhibits, including the only place on earth where you can touch a moon rock.
  • IMAX Theater: The IMAX films are included in the price of admission and last about 45 minutes. Located at the main Visitor Center Complex.
Whenever I visit, I always take a few minutes to visit the Astronaut Memorial at the main Visitor Center Complex and pay my respects. Depending on your age and personal feelings towards the space program, that might be worth a visit. Although I haven't seen it yet, there is also an exhibit about the Challenger and Columbia disasters.

How toddler friendly is it? My youngest wants to be an astronaut when she grows up - so the Space Center is a MUST on our trip... but she'll still be pretty young.

I don't have kids, so I can't provide much help here. Hopefully, someone else will be able to answer your question.

Any discounts/coupons out there? We were going to go in August for the day, but I had no idea the tickets were so pricey. I know Disney ticket prices are high too, but for some reason I thought it would much cheaper.

My youngest went at 5 and still talks about his first visit at 13. If he/she is into space at all they'll be fine.

Any discounts/coupons out there? We were going to go in August for the day, but I had no idea the tickets were so pricey. I know Disney ticket prices are high too, but for some reason I thought it would much cheaper.
I don't think they're bad considering it's easily a full day. AAA has discounts

We took our then 5 year old and 2 year and spent a whole day, I am a Physics teacher and a massive space nerd. There were plenty of things for the little ones to do, DH had to do a little bit of entertaining as I took my time doing some things

I hadn't considered KSC until reading this thread. I think it may just be the thing DH would love to pick to do.

I have one additional question. It sound like most of the activities at KSC are indoors. Is that correct? Would we miss out on alot if we did KSC on a rainy day?
I'm thinking it might be a good activity in the middle of our trip to give us a break from the Florida summer sun or on a rainy day.
TIA.

I have one additional question. It sound like most of the activities at KSC are indoors. Is that correct? Would we miss out on alot if we did KSC on a rainy day?

Just about everything at KSC is indoors except the rocket garden. I think even the kids' play area is under cover (although technically still outdoors). It's a fine place to spend a rainy day. The buildings aren't even terribly far apart.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter