• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Narcoossee's, table for 1?

gzmtlock

DIS Veteran
Before I go getting my shorts all in a wad, would someone help me understand why Narcoossee's would have availability for 2 on a night that they show none for 1?

I'm on a solo trip in September and have been stalking a particular night for an earlier ADR. Multiple times a day, no availability at all for 1. Tonight, I accidentally hit 2, and BINGO - openings at 2 different times.

My experience as a frequent solo diner is that, unless it's a countertop, a solo is always sat at a 2-top (or larger). And if they have a counter, they don't sit you there without asking, as you're sharing closely with others.

Is there something different about Narcoossee's? Or what am I missing? (Other than a potential prejudice against solo diners.)

'Ohana has the same prejudice. I tried to get breakfast there last year and could get it for 2 but not one - though I was assured that I could make it for 2 and as long as I showed up there would be no charge. It seems some of the restaurants have the glitch in their system. (Ironically, Garden Grill, which is family style like 'Ohana has no issues with party of 1.)

Its so strange that you posted this because I am in the process of planning a solo trip in September and came up against the same thing. Narcoosses does seem to only allow parties of 2 or more. However, this is not the case for all signature restaurants as I was offered the option to book Artists Point, Citricos, Monsieur Pauls, and Jiko all under a table for 1.

x
Dora

Just book the reservation for two. You won't be charged for your imaginary friend. I did that a couple years ago for a couple meals I couldn't find any availability for as a solo and had no problems. It's a well known issue with their system.

Go ahead and book the table for 2. When you check in at the restaurant let the castmembers at the podium know there is only one person. As long as you show up for the reservation you will not be charged for the "missing" person.

The reservation system has a well known glitch that makes it harder to book tables for odd numbered parties such as 1, 3, 5. The system wants to fill every seat at the table so when you input an odd numbered party size it skips over the available tables, but if you add 1 more person to make an even numbered group, often tables show up because now you are filling all the seats at the table.

Thanks everyone! Good to know! And, somehow, it's reassuring that it's not just for parties of 1, but for odd numbered parties. I'm still stalking for a CRT; I'll start to look there for 2 rather than 1.

(And I had already snagged an ADR for 2 at Narcoossee's, as soon as I realized it was available.)

interesting that some in this thread think it's ethical for disney to discriminate against singles and odd numbered parties:

http://disboards.com/threads/disney-ethics-another-wwyd-thread.3425163/page-3

(i don't think it's a glitch at all - i think their reservation software is designed to maximize revenues - so if it looks like the restaurant will book up completely, they will try to minimize empty seats. when things are not busy at all, i have been able to book a reservation for 1 with no trouble.)

Last edited:

OP here. Wow, I hope this thread doesn't veer off into a discussion of ethics! Little deep for my leanings. . . :flower1:

Very true! But a quick dip into the thread you linked has convinced me to be very careful before I use the "p-word" again. Nothing wrong with those types of discussions, just not my thing.

Just book 2 and show up solo. The staff is fine. If. The IT shop dislikes solo diners consider it a positive. Would you really want to associate with that IT shop? LOL

Reactions: fbb
Thanks everyone! Good to know! And, somehow, it's reassuring that it's not just for parties of 1, but for odd numbered parties. I'm still stalking for a CRT; I'll start to look there for 2 rather than 1.
For CRT, if you are not on the dining plan, you will have to pre-pay the total amount for the number of people booked so keep trying for a reservation for 1. If you do book for 2 and then call the dining line for a refund, be sure the phone reservationist understands that you want to modify the reservation, not cancel and re-book it for one person. If s/he wants to cancel the reservation, ask for a supervisor or hang up and try again because in the time between cancelling and re-booking someone else might snatch up the reservation and then you would be without a res.

Following up on Purple Fig, I've found that it was handled properly when I called and said "I need to remove one person from the reservation without cancelling it." This can apparently be done for those locations that require prepayment.

Thanks for sharing that info; it may help others. I am on the DxDDP. I have booked a table for 2 for narcoossee's and am looking for 2 for CRT.

I've had the same problem in the past and just called Disney dining and they made the reservation for 1.

Over 4 solo trips, I've done a number of ADRs and have never had a problem booking an ADR for a party of 1 EXCEPT for Narcoossee's! I booked a "2" there for my trip this year, but ended up cancelling well before the trip in favor of Yachtsman's Steakhouse once I realized I was going to be at Epcot most of that day (1 was no problem at YS, and I enjoyed it). Just playing around now with various dates, however, I did manage to find some "party of 1" choices at Narcoossee's, so maybe it's a hit-and-miss thing. ???

I'm going to make another attempt at Narcoossee's next year if my park days work out right, and we'll see what I can get.

Over 4 solo trips, I've done a number of ADRs and have never had a problem booking an ADR for a party of 1 EXCEPT for Narcoossee's! I booked a "2" there for my trip this year, but ended up cancelling well before the trip in favor of Yachtsman's Steakhouse once I realized I was going to be at Epcot most of that day (1 was no problem at YS, and I enjoyed it). Just playing around now with various dates, however, I did manage to find some "party of 1" choices at Narcoossee's, so maybe it's a hit-and-miss thing. ???

I'm going to make another attempt at Narcoossee's next year if my park days work out right, and we'll see what I can get.

Yea, may be hit or miss. I actually have a 9:30 pm for 1. But I may want to head back into MK to see Wishes, rather than watch from there. So now I also have a 5:55 pm for 2 for the same day. I'll cancel whichever one I don't want a couple days ahead. (This is for the second-to-last night of a one-week trip.)

Book for 2, give Disney a call and ask them to reduce it down to 1. Generally they are happy to.

Thanks for sharing that info; it may help others. I am on the DxDDP. I have booked a table for 2 for narcoossee's and am looking for 2 for CRT.

I've done CRT solo before and their booking system allowed for a booking of 1.

Hadn't come up against this before, but I've never tried for Narcoossee's either!

For my upcoming solo trip I've got solo bookings for Cali Grill and Boathouse. DO CG every time and they always put me at a table for 2 :)

You should get the table for two and enjoy yourself. However, when I dine alone I often have a good time eating at the bar. The bartenders are a jovial bunch, and often they make cocktails on the house or slip you an amuse bouche or three.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter