• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Narcoossee's & Portable DVD Player.

castlefor2

Earning My Ears
I am considering bringing a portable DVD player to this restaurant so that my kids have something to do so my husband and I can eat and enjoy our meal. My kids (3 & 5 years old)are usually done their meal before we even get a chance to start eating. Usually we would have books for them to read and colour. But, this is the one restaurant that we are going that are for us and I would really like to enjoy the meal. If you were eating at this restaurant would you be upset? Would you be distracted? I don't want to disturb other diners.

As long as they're using headphones, earbuds, etc., I can't see why it would disturb other diners. If I were dining there, I'd be grateful that you brought something to keep the little ones occupied and quiet. :thumbsup2

If you provided headphones for the children it would probably be ok. Otherwise, I'd say there is a good chance that other diners might be upset about this. Narcoossees is more adult oriented & a lot of people go there for that reason. It was very considerate of you to ask the opinion of others.

I think it's a great idea if you can keep the volume down or use headphones. Another consideration is that it is dark in the restaurant so you may want to mention it to the hostess so she can seat you against a wall or somewhere that the light wont be glaring to those that are sitting behind the kids.

I think it's a great idea if you can keep the volume down or use headphones. Another consideration is that it is dark in the restaurant so you may want to mention it to the hostess so she can seat you against a wall or somewhere that the light wont be glaring to those that are sitting behind the kids.

As long as there is no volume and you are seated where the relatively bright light won't be in someone's eye's there won't be any problem.

I've noticed that the movie theatre's have been running bit's about the glare from cell phone's during movies.

Hello I agree with the others regarding the head phones and think it is a great idea. My wife and I just returned from WDW BWI. We ate at the Flying Fish and there was a child throwing himself all over the ground for at least a half hour. The mother was sitting there eating while the host and servers were doing their best not to trip with everyones food.

Having five of our own I consider ourselves lucky our children are well behaved and have done what everyone's suggesting with their game systems and turned off the volume. Keeping kids occupied is considerate of others around you.

Great idea and I hope you enjoy Narcoossee's it is a wonderful place to dine and the view is fabulous.

another option if this is really for you all, is to put the kids in one of the kids clubs for dinner so you can have date night.

Hello I agree with the others regarding the head phones and think it is a great idea. My wife and I just returned from WDW BWI. We ate at the Flying Fish and there was a child throwing himself all over the ground for at least a half hour. The mother was sitting there eating while the host and servers were doing their best not to trip with everyones food.

1) Funny you should mention this.
2) We had a situation like this with a kid at a nearby table.
3) I don't know how, but my Coke spilled from my table and landed on the kid.
4) Yes, I know, sometimes I am clumsy.

next time try spilling it on the parent ... I bet you'd get a reaction then. :lmao:

another option if this is really for you all, is to put the kids in one of the kids clubs for dinner so you can have date night.

I was going to suggest this as well. The Neverland Club was the highlight of my 4 year old's trip:rotfl:, seriously--she still asks to go back there, I think she liked it more than the parks:lmao:. It was great for us as well because we got several adult-only evenings, which were wonderful.

Anyway, I think you said your littlest was 3 and the youngest they take is age 4. But there's also a service that will watch the kids in your room that you could look into. Have a great time!:goodvibes

p.s. (I never answered the original question) I think the DVD player is fine as long as -- like other said -- they use earphones and the light from the screen isn't disturbing your dining neighbors.

We use an Ipod with video. Its very small and works well for a single child but I believe the OP has 2 so might be too small. We load it up with (mostly) Disney cartoons and movies. And we don't have to carry dvds around either. I try not to rely on it too much but it has gotten us thru a few nice 3 or 4 course meals!

Originally Posted by TheRustyScupper
4) Yes, I know, sometimes I am clumsy. :lmao::thumbsup2

next time try spilling it on the parent ... I bet you'd get a reaction then. :lmao:

:rotfl2: :thumbsup2 :lmao:

I personally wouldn't take them if they couldn't sit for the lenght of the dinner without entertainment, and would probably be bothered by the glow of the screen at the next table. I would go with a kids club if you don't think they can sit through dinner. And, before you ask, yes I have kids.

I definitely think it is okay as long as you use headphones and the DVD player is small.

Coincidently, both of my kids (age 4 and 7) fell asleep at Narcoossees. They ate their meal and then were out. We had to take their dessert (Nemo cupcakes--SO cute) to go! Of course, they woke up in time to watches Wishes from the deck. lol!

We do that all the time. My son either brings his Nintendo DSi or we let him use our iPhone to watch a movie he likes. We also require him to use headphones - and to remove them if he wants to say something to us because he always ends up shouting with the headphones on and can't tell how loud he's talking!

Seriously though, if anyone has an issue with this at a WDW restaurant - they are the one with the problem; even at a nicer WDW restaurant. Being a child doesn't mean you can only eat at counter service or casual sit down restaurants!! As far as we are concerned WDW is for kids (of all ages!) and as such accomodations have to be made for a child's attention span. I think most people would prefer for kids to be kept busy with a movie as opposed to throwing a tantrum because they want to leave. But even then, we always expect to see at least one good temper tantrum on our trip. WDW is so overwhelming and over stimulating that it can cause the best behaved child to have a melt down.

I personally wouldn't take them if they couldn't sit for the lenght of the dinner without entertainment, and would probably be bothered by the glow of the screen at the next table. I would go with a kids club if you don't think they can sit through dinner. And, before you ask, yes I have kids.

I agree with this. I also have kids and would not bring them to a nice restaurant if I wasn't sure they could behave through the entire meal. We did take them to nice places when they were little, but even at 3 & 5 there were made to understand that other diners were trying to have a nice meal so they needed to behave.

The glow of an electronic screen can be very intrusive to other people. I would be quite upset if I was out for a nice dinner and there was a glowing screen at the next table, even with no volume...especially in a place like Narcoosee's.

My advice would be to put them into one of the kids' clubs and have a nice date night with your DH. We used the clubs often when the kids were young. They are safe environments staffed by fun, caring Cast Members. Your kids will probably love having their own special night out.

And now for my own personal rant...not directed at the OP, just at our society...We have, IMO, become far to dependent on electronic entertainment. Kids are not learning how to behave in "fancier" places. If we don't teach them when they are young they will never know. Adults would not bring a DVD player/Gameboy/etc. to dinner with them and so, IMO, kids should not be allowed to either. Kids are far more capable than we often give them credit for. If you set the ground rules up front and stick to them kids will rise to the expectations. Okay, rant over.

OP, I hope you have a wonderful meal with your DH.

I agree with this. I also have kids and would not bring them to a nice restaurant if I wasn't sure they could behave through the entire meal. We did take them to nice places when they were little, but even at 3 & 5 there were made to understand that other diners were trying to have a nice meal so they needed to behave.

The glow of an electronic screen can be very intrusive to other people. I would be quite upset if I was out for a nice dinner and there was a glowing screen at the next table, even with no volume...especially in a place like Narcoosee's.

My advice would be to put them into one of the kids' clubs and have a nice date night with your DH. We used the clubs often when the kids were young. They are safe environments staffed by fun, caring Cast Members. Your kids will probably love having their own special night out.

And now for my own personal rant...not directed at the OP, just at our society...We have, IMO, become far to dependent on electronic entertainment. Kids are not learning how to behave in "fancier" places. If we don't teach them when they are young they will never know. Adults would not bring a DVD player/Gameboy/etc. to dinner with them and so, IMO, kids should not be allowed to either. Kids are far more capable than we often give them credit for. If you set the ground rules up front and stick to them kids will rise to the expectations. Okay, rant over.

OP, I hope you have a wonderful meal with your DH.

ITA:thumbsup2 DD5 has been going to nice restaurants with us pretty much since birth and we really have never had a problem. As long as she is paid attention to and engaged in the conversaiton she is fine. The only time I allow portable electronic devices like a portable DVD is the 4 hour care ride to the inlaws or the 8 hour car ride to Disney. She has a leapster, but has limited use of it, and only when h/w and chores are done and she has done her nightly reading.

Trails' End? Sure. Ohana? No problem. Chef Mickey's? Absolutely.

Narcoossee's? Not terribly appropriate.

:confused3

:scratchin

:idea:

:lmao:

:thumbsup2

OP, I have no problem with it as it sure beats the alternative of loud, whiny kids!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter