• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Narccossee's or Cali Grill - best Wishes view?

nklooz

Mouseketeer
I am trying to decide btwn. Cali Grill and Narc.

When I look at the menus, I'm leaning toward Narc, but, wanted to know if you can watch Wishes from the restaurant like you can at Cali Grill.

Any opinions on the two rest. would also be helpful. Thanks.

My DH and I have dined at both places especially for Wishes.

I would say for your first experience and for an overall effect I would choose :tinker:Narcoosee's. You are at a better angle and closer to enjoy and be awed.

This past May we did California Grill for our 25th Anniversary and really enjoyed watching from the observation deck. The view is more of angle from CG.

I'm glad we had the experience at Narc the 1st time in May 05.

Beverlypooh:

I posted this on another thread. The view from the California Grill is better.

I would not count on seeing Wishes from Narcoosees's. We had a *great* window front table for our anniversary a couple years ago. About 10 minutes before the show started two women came over and parked their very wide butts right in front of us! We had a perfect view of the castle until then which was ruined by the lookie-loos. It wasn't just us, but also a family next to us with a little girl who was too scared to be too close to the fireworks had their view ruined. I knocked on the window and waved them to the side but they just give me a snotty look and a better view of their butts. My DH held me back from going out and having a "word" with them :eek:.

We had the exact opposite experience as the above poster.

Cali Grill you have to get up and walk outside and leave your table...it also did NOT seem that close...but at Narcoosee's, you can get a table by the window and the view was great.

If you're leaning toward that menu anyway, there is no reason to change it.

Cali Grill you have to get up and walk outside and leave your table...it also did NOT seem that close...but at Narcoosee's, you can get a table by the window and the view was great.
My view was great until the Misses Big Butts blocked it. These people arrived 10-15 minutes before the show and they were just Lookie Loos who happened to come off the boat on their way home or who heard it was a great place to see the fireworks. Some people who sit father back are invited to go outside and enjoy the fireworks, but that was well after the LL's had already staked out their place in front of us.

The fact is that you can have a perfect view of the castle and the fireworks at Narcoosees until you don't. We could not get up to view from the balcony as our waiter timed our entree to coincide with the fireworks. I think he was trying to make it romantic for us. I was not leaving my dinner to get cold or be kept warm for us! The food was too good for that and we have seen Wishes many times. I felt really bad for the little girl who didn't get to see the fireworks at all. The LL's really blocked our whole view.

For me, no comparison. Food and view at Ca Grill is better. I NEVER EVER plan on a guaranteed view from my table and we always go outside to view the fireworks. So for me, the view of all of MK from the higher position is superior.

At Narcoosees, I think you pretty much have to plan on people standing outside of your table window and blocking your view. It's an open area where anyone has access to it and they are going to stand there and watch the fireworks.

At both places, you can ask your server to hold serving that particular course that is closest to fireworks time so that you can get up and leave your table to view the fireworks without having to return to cold food.

That's a bummer...when we were there (mid-December), there was NO ONE on the porch outside...so we had a totally clear view.

I would have walked outside and politely asked people to move...after all, you're paying for that view...they're not!!! (And yes, my husband also would not have wanted me to say anything!)

If you are seated at a table that is not next to a window, you are invited by your server to go outside and stand on the deck to enjoy the fireworks. I prefer being outside anyway, as I think you get the best effect that way. As I am also a patron of the restaurant I too have PAID for that view, and would NOT appreciate being asked to move!

The two views are very different. It's gorgeous from California Grill because you are up high where the fireworks are. Narcoosee's is not so dramatic. Even when we dine at Narcoosee's and have a window seat, we always plan on getting up and going outside for the fireworks. They are better from the outside than from the window, no matter how good the view. Additionally, others do stand in front of the windows.

I don't happen to think that the people at a particular table "own" the view, so we always go outside to watch even when we have the perfect window seat. And, I would never move for someone who came out and requested that I move so "their" view wasn't blocked! I'd say either get up or don't but I'm not budging! Why? Because plenty of people in the restaurant are paying the same price as those with a window. Those patrons have to get up and go outside. And, just where are they supposed to stand? The windows are such that anyone standing on the porch blocks someone's view.

Our waiters have always timed our meals so that we're at a nice lull when the fireworks start.

Upshot -- both views are nice, but CG is more dramatic.

If you are seated at a table that is not next to a window, you are invited by your server to go outside and stand on the deck to enjoy the fireworks. I prefer being outside anyway, as I think you get the best effect that way. As I am also a patron of the restaurant I too have PAID for that view, and would NOT appreciate being asked to move!
Of course you paid for the view too! I would hope that you would be polite enough to at least try not block the view of the people who were sitting at the windows. In our case the Lookie Loos (NOT restaurant guests) could have moved a little bit to the right or back from the rail and not blocked anyone's view as there was a wall right next to me.

I would have had no problem going outside to view the fireworks, but our dinner was served just as the music started up. It was our anniversary and I think the waiter thought it was romantic.

The deck at Narcoosse's isn't all that big and is absolutely level with the floor inside the restaurant. All too often the people outside CAN'T move because it's too crowded. Or if they move, they simply block someone else' view.
Which is why at Narcoossee's we never request a window table and always go outside to watch the fireworks.

Tough call. It is hit or miss regarding window seating/crowds at either place. Like other posters, I know a perfectly centered, unobstructed window view is not guaranteed and expect to go outside. Both places play the music; both dim lights; both have outdoor areas for optimal viewing. I think the angle may be slightly better from Narcoosee's, but it is lower and you are looking up over the trees. From CG you are higher up, so the fireworks are almost eyelevel and you are looking down on MK a bit. FWIW.

Thanks for all of the very helpful responses. From what you've all said, and the menu, I'm leaning toward Cali Grill, just read abt. the Sushi too.

BUT, the one problem I have is that we will have to drop DD8 (9 by then) off at a Kids Club, and GF has one, while CR does not (correct??).

Thoughts on this? :confused3 :confused3

Thanks for all of the very helpful responses. From what you've all said, and the menu, I'm leaning toward Cali Grill, just read abt. the Sushi too.

BUT, the one problem I have is that we will have to drop DD8 (9 by then) off at a Kids Club, and GF has one, while CR does not (correct??).

Thoughts on this? :confused3 :confused3

I mean, I guess we could drop her off @ GF and take the monorail to CR. If we drive to GF, can we park our car there?

I mean, I guess we could drop her off @ GF and take the monorail to CR. If we drive to GF, can we park our car there?
You're not supposed to park at a resort that you are not eating at, but I probably would. The monorail ride is fun and you would be back within the 3-hour parking limit. It's also not a big deal to drive over to the CR. About the kid's club ... your DD is 8? Did she pick the GF club? I ask because my DD liked the Neverland Club over at the Polynesian better (at age 7, I think).

One other piece of unsolicited advice ... my DH and I have tried to have "adult only" meal at WDW a couple of times but I always end up missing my DD at dinner because we are surrounded by kids! The last time we ate at the CG there was the cutest little boy next to us in a kimono. He was just about my DD's age at the time and a chatty little thing. I was sorry I left my DD with my mother since she would have enjoyed meeting him :(. The only place that you probably not see kids is Victoria and Albert's and Shula's (cause it's so darn dark and doesn't have a kids menu). So ... you might just want to bring your DD with you. It would be cheaper, she would find the fireworks magical and they make a kick-butt macaroni and cheese :).

You're not supposed to park at a resort that you are not eating at, but I probably would. The monorail ride is fun and you would be back within the 3-hour parking limit. It's also not a big deal to drive over to the CR. About the kid's club ... your DD is 8? Did she pick the GF club? I ask because my DD liked the Neverland Club over at the Polynesian better (at age 7, I think).

One other piece of unsolicited advice ... my DH and I have tried to have "adult only" meal at WDW a couple of times but I always end up missing my DD at dinner because we are surrounded by kids! The last time we ate at the CG there was the cutest little boy next to us in a kimono. He was just about my DD's age at the time and a chatty little thing. I was sorry I left my DD with my mother since she would have enjoyed meeting him :(. The only place that you probably not see kids is Victoria and Albert's and Shula's (cause it's so darn dark and doesn't have a kids menu). So ... you might just want to bring your DD with you. It would be cheaper, she would find the fireworks magical and they make a kick-butt macaroni and cheese :).

Thanks for the advice. Both on the kids club and the adult only meals. I've been toying with whether or not to do it, mainly because I assume we'll get there and wish we hadn't. But, great to know that it is great for kids and they have yummy mac and cheese, that's one of her favs! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter