• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Naples excursions

Stitchie13

Mouseketeer
I'm looking at doing a DIY excursion when we get to Naples.

We want to do Pompeii and then I'd like to go and have lunch along the Amalfi coast/Sorrento and I'm wondering what is the best way to do this?

Does anyone have recommendations for a restaurant not far from Pompeii but on the coast?

Stitchie13 said:
I'm looking at doing a DIY excursion when we get to Naples.

We want to do Pompeii and then I'd like to go and have lunch along the Amalfi coast/Sorrento and I'm wondering what is the best way to do this?

Does anyone have recommendations for a restaurant not far from Pompeii but on the coast?

We used romeinlimo and went to Sorrento, Postiano and Pompeii. We ate in Sorrento at a pizza place that was recommended by the company. It was a great experience.

Good luck!

Carmine from Rome in Limo took us to Trattoria La Tagliata. Hand down no question the best meal we have ever had in Europe. Even the view from the bathroom is stunning.

Going back in June and very much looking forward to another great meal there.

We used romeinlimo and went to Sorrento, Postiano and Pompeii. We ate in Sorrento at a pizza place that was recommended by the company. It was a great experience.

Good luck!

We also used Romeinlimo from Naples on our Celebrity cruise last May. We went to Pompeii and paid extra for a guide (well worth it), Sorrento, and Positano. One could take the train to Pompeii on your own, but I'm glad we did it via a private tour.

Any thoughts about Capri?

Would it be possible to get to Capri early (and miss the crowds) and then get to Pompeii?

Carmine from Rome in Limo took us to Trattoria La Tagliata. Hand down no question the best meal we have ever had in Europe. Even the view from the bathroom is stunning.

Going back in June and very much looking forward to another great meal there.

:thumbsup2
You know you're in Italy when you're impressed with the bathrooms. :lmao: When a college friend & I went on a Perillo tour a million years ago, our families laughed at us for taking pictures of a restaurant's bathroom.
It was gorgeous! Lots of green marble, just amazing.

Good luck!

We used Rome in Limo as well and went to the same places. Gianno took us to eat in a restaurant on the cliff overlooking Positano. I don't recall the name of the restaurant, but it was absolutely amazing! The key is to do Sorrento and Positano in the morning to avoid traffic delays (or even a road closing which almost happened to us) trying to get back to the ship in time. The only problem with Pompeii in the afternoon was that we were so full from the non-stop food and wine at lunch that we were tired when we got there. I do recommend a guide of some sort in Pompeii because we were a little clueless walking around on our own. We also used Rome in Limo for Florence and Rome, and they got us a private guide for the Vatican which was well worth it. We had wonderful experiences every time. Enjoy!

Any thoughts about Capri?

Would it be possible to get to Capri early (and miss the crowds) and then get to Pompeii?

It depends on the time of year. The ferry to Capri gets cancelled a lot, so I just recommend having a back up plan.

It depends on the time of year. The ferry to Capri gets cancelled a lot, so I just recommend having a back up plan.

Why does it get cancelled? Rough seas? The hydrofoil too?

Those of you who used Rome in Limo, would you recommend them? They get such awesome reviews on tripadvisor.com.

Getting cancelled is definitely a concern. But I also wonder about the time/benefit ratio. We have a short day in Naples -- 7:45 am to 5:30 pm -- and I don't know how much of that time I wan tto spend on a crowded, touristy island. Tiberius's home is the main attraction, and I am starting to think that it might not be worth it. Now, if I thought we could see the Blue Grotto, I might think it was worth it.

I read a lot of good reviews if romeinlimo. Are they expensive? Adv by Dis quoted $3200 PP for the med cruise thus summer!

over50visits said:
I read a lot of good reviews if romeinlimo. Are they expensive? Adv by Dis quoted $3200 PP for the med cruise thus summer!

You realy can't compare ABD with a tour company ad Romeinlimo or whatever tourcompany.
Not to say that you won't be gappy with Roneinlimo but comparing the both is like comparing apples and pears.

You may all like to know that there is a really long Med planning thread HERE

For our last Med cruise, we used www.yourtourinitaly.com and they were recommended to us by some DVC staff who used them a few years ago.
They were fantastic.:)

Someone on our Cruise Critic roll call arranged for multiple vehicles in several ports with Rome In Limo, and we toured with them in Naples and Civitavecchia. (We toured Orvieto and Civita rather than Rome from Civitavecchia.). Our cost averaged about 100 euros per person, plus admission costs. We were very pleased with Rome In Limo and would definitely recommend them. You can see what they offer here: http://www.romeinlimo.com/

We also hired a private driver for our tour of Naples. One town he suggested making a stop at was Ravello - what a stunning place - the view of the ocean was breathtaking!! I did not have it on my list of places to see that day - but what a jewel is was! We were able to incorporate this into the rest of our day - this was the last stop before heading to Pompeii.

We drove down the coast in the morning stopping to see all the coastal towns and then headed up into the mountains to see Ravello and then continued through the mountains to Pompeii. It was great to see the mountains as well. We hired a private tour guide in Pompeii - worth every penny!. It was a long day but it was by far my favorite day!!

So if you can fit in a stop at Ravello - I highly recommend it!!:goodvibes

You realy can't compare ABD with a tour company ad Romeinlimo or whatever tourcompany.
Not to say that you won't be gappy with Roneinlimo but comparing the both is like comparing apples and pears.

You may not get the exact same thing but $3200pp for my family of 4 would cost almost $13K for excursions! :headache: :faint:
I don't know what they could possibly do for my family to make me feel I'm getting a good value for my money. Well, unless Mickey wants to hold hands and skip through the streets of Rome. Even then, I'm not sure.

For ~2200E with Rome In Limo we can go where we want, linger longer at some places we love, cut short places we're not so fond of. We don't have to wait for 30 other people to get gelato, use the bathroom, etc. before moving on. I don't see the magic in that. :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter