Napa Rose Chef's Counter with children

disneyfan95

Earning My Ears
I'm taking my niece (age 8) to Disneyland for a week at the end of June this year. :banana: Very Excited!!

Saw some reviews of Napa Rose's chef's counter and was thinking of taking her there as a special treat. She is extremely well behaved and has experienced nice restaurants and not a picky eater. I thought getting to be in the kitchen and seeing the chefs at work would be a fun experience for her. My question is has anyone here done the chef's counter with their kids? Did the kids like it? How did you find the experience?

I know a few 8 year olds that are like you've described, and I think the Chef's Counter would be a great experience for them! I say do it.

Took my 13 y.o. daughter and she loved it. They were very nice to her and talked to her a lot. That was a while ago, though. I went two weeks ago on my solo trip, and while the food was very good, the head chef was less than attentive (busy, I know) and he was kind of nasty to some of the sous chefs. It was slightly stressful to watch the sautee chef mutter again and again, "Yes, Chef. Yes, Chef. Thank you, Chef." While he kind of harassed him. Could have just been an off night.

Took my 13 y.o. daughter and she loved it. They were very nice to her and talked to her a lot. That was a while ago, though. I went two weeks ago on my solo trip, and while the food was very good, the head chef was less than attentive (busy, I know) and he was kind of nasty to some of the sous chefs. It was slightly stressful to watch the sautee chef mutter again and again, "Yes, Chef. Yes, Chef. Thank you, Chef." While he kind of harassed him. Could have just been an off night.

That's really too bad about the head chef. I think I'm going to book anyways. Fingers crossed it was an off night. Read your '08 trip report. And following along with you solo trip. Making me excited for our upcoming trip!

Have done the Chef's Counter a few times but not with kids. Kids would be no problem other than to fully enjoy the Chef's Counter it can be a 2.5-3 hour experience. As long as the kids are in for a lengthy meal, it can be a great experience.

There are two 4 seats and one 6 seat counter that overlooks the dessert section of the kitchen. The Dessert counter can be fun for the kids as you get to see all the desserts as they are made.

My husband and I, my in-laws, and our two children (ages 9 and 6 at the time) ate at the chef's counter at Napa Rose in October and everyone LOVED it. My in-laws and the kids sat on four seats on one side, and my husband and I sat on the other side next to a couple we didn't know. My son (6) was so enchanted by watching the food being made that he didn't even bother with the "keep busy" things (quiet coloring, etc.) we brought for him.

Our kids are definitely used to being patient, going to restaurants, and interacting in "grown-up" situations. I'd recommend the experience to any family whose kids are, too.

Have done the Chef's Counter a few times but not with kids. Kids would be no problem other than to fully enjoy the Chef's Counter it can be a 2.5-3 hour experience. As long as the kids are in for a lengthy meal, it can be a great experience.

There are two 4 seats and one 6 seat counter that overlooks the dessert section of the kitchen. The Dessert counter can be fun for the kids as you get to see all the desserts as they are made.

That's a great idea! I'll ask about the dessert counter. Thank you!!

My husband and I, my in-laws, and our two children (ages 9 and 6 at the time) ate at the chef's counter at Napa Rose in October and everyone LOVED it. My in-laws and the kids sat on four seats on one side, and my husband and I sat on the other side next to a couple we didn't know. My son (6) was so enchanted by watching the food being made that he didn't even bother with the "keep busy" things (quiet coloring, etc.) we brought for him.

Our kids are definitely used to being patient, going to restaurants, and interacting in "grown-up" situations. I'd recommend the experience to any family whose kids are, too.

This is really great to hear. If I could ask you another question. How did the kids order their meals? Did they order off the main menu or did the chef make up something for them?

I have mixed feelings about it. *If* the children are polite, well behaved etc, I think it would be a great experience. However, as an adult who would only rarely be able to afford the luxury of the Chef's Counter, I would be very perturbed if that dining experience included noisy kids. You have to be honest in your assessment of the children you wish to take and keep in mind that there are likely to be adults splurging on what they probably perceive as an adult-oriented occasion. Most adults would welcome kids who are into it, but probably most would also very much resent spending $150 each for a wine/dine splurge that included rambunctious kids. I say this as a mother of 5, 3 of which would have done great. The other 2 would have been a definite no way. Now that they are 12 (twins), they *might* manage it but they would prefer Blue Bayou or pizza :upsidedow

We had a family Thanksgiving at the Chef's Table with my two nephews, then aged 2 and 4. We sat at the dessert counter and since we were a big party, we were the only ones there, which was ideal. The 4 year old did great, the two year old needed a lot of diversionary trips to the bathroom to wash his hands (big entertainment value, that) and they loved watching the desserts being plated. They ordered off the kids menus - Napa Rose does simple kids fare as well as anywhere I've eater. I think you just need to stay on top of things - make sure that the child is into the process. If she's not a picky eater and is okay sitting still in a restaurant, have at it!

However, as an adult who would only rarely be able to afford the luxury of the Chef's Counter, I would be very perturbed if that dining experience included noisy kids.

There are three sections of the Chef's Counter. Two sections of 4 seats and the Dessert Counter with 6 seats. Each of the sections are fairly isolated from each other so noisy kids in one party would not be a disruption to any of the other guests attending that experience...ESPECIALLY at the Dessert Counter. It is pretty isolated from everyone else.

The Chef's counter is ALL about the Chef's Creation menu in my opinion....even for kids. They can cater to what your kid likes and dislikes.

There are three sections of the Chef's Counter. Two sections of 4 seats and the Dessert Counter with 6 seats. Each of the sections are fairly isolated from each other so noisy kids in one party would not be a disruption to any of the other guests attending that experience...ESPECIALLY at the Dessert Counter. It is pretty isolated from everyone else.

The Chef's counter is ALL about the Chef's Creation menu in my opinion....even for kids. They can cater to what your kid likes and dislikes.
Yes, I agree, and you have to figure DLR is going to be a place where there will be kids. I had a wonderful meal at Napa Rose chef's counter with my sister and we were the only ones at any of the counters! We did make a late reservation, in part to avoid small children :) I guess it worked because we accidentally avoided everyone! I would not have minded kids who were into the experience, but my sister is a kindergarten teacher and really wanted an adult escape. I did feel a bit the same way since I was on a much needed respite from caregiving--3 little kids and my dad. To me, NR is more an adult venue, but if people want to take their kids and the kids want to go, then great but I would just suggest an earlier reservation time.

Thank you everyone for all your wonderful feedback!! :thumbsup2 DISboards has been such a fantastic resource. It has already made our upcoming trip that much better.

I agree that NR is probably not the most appropriate venue for loud, rambunctious children. My niece, however, is really great in restaurants and has the patience for long meals. We actually talked about it and she is incredibly excited to see the chefs at work. I think we are going to go with the chef's creation for all of us too as suggested above. This girl loves her food and is not afraid of trying new things. :bitelip:

I discovered through this very helpful site that the chef's counter at Napa Rose does not abide by the 60 day rule for reservations. You can make them anytime. So I called up today and booked the early dinner (5:30pm) and requested the dessert counter. I will do a follow up post after our meal to let everyone know how it went.

Thank you everyone for all your wonderful feedback!! :thumbsup2 DISboards has been such a fantastic resource. It has already made our upcoming trip that much better.

I agree that NR is probably not the most appropriate venue for loud, rambunctious children. My niece, however, is really great in restaurants and has the patience for long meals. We actually talked about it and she is incredibly excited to see the chefs at work. I think we are going to go with the chef's creation for all of us too as suggested above. This girl loves her food and is not afraid of trying new things. :bitelip:

I discovered through this very helpful site that the chef's counter at Napa Rose does not abide by the 60 day rule for reservations. You can make them anytime. So I called up today and booked the early dinner (5:30pm) and requested the dessert counter. I will do a follow up post after our meal to let everyone know how it went.

Sounds perfect!! When my oldest 2 were little (starting at ages 3 and 5), they LOVED theater and ballet. I used to take them to see the Nutcracker in San Francisco and they loved getting dressed up and were enthralled with it as well as other ballets and plays. Neither was at all into symphony/musical performances, though. As a teen, my oldest dd adored going to Ashland to see Shakespeare plays with me. My middle dd loves theater as well and now performs herself, but the little sisters? B....O....R....E.....D and crabby at any kind of cultural event, LOL. I think it's a great idea to indulge their curiosity in those times when the interest is genuine--those are some of my best memories.

Have a great time!

I would never take all 3 of our girls. Our oldest, yes. The other two... not until they are way older. In fact, maybe we'll take her for her 9th birthday this fall... maybe.

This is really great to hear. If I could ask you another question. How did the kids order their meals? Did they order off the main menu or did the chef make up something for them?

Hi, Sorry it's taken me so long to see this and reply to it! The kids ordered off the main menu, as both of them easily found things they wanted. I think one ordered a filet and the other ordered fish. We did the earlier seating, which was actually a *very* early meal for DS6 and DD9, as we don't usually have dinner until about 8 or so on weekends.

If she is well-behaved, then you'll be fine. However, I'd suggest going to Benihana's instead because I view it as way more child friendly and fun. It was way better than Napa Rose was. I'm not sure if you have a car - if not, it may not work out unless you get a taxi or Uber. It is not that far, it is on Ball Road but not walking distance from the park.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter