• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Nana and grandbabies awesome trip to Universal

All caught up!!!

Fabulous pictures and I enjoyed "mooching" through them.......lol.......food pics are wonderful but you certainly had a wonderful time. Yes, love how close together the parks are, park to park is essential to us.

Shame granddaughter wasn't keen on the Eye........it is very high I suppose......I'm not keen on heights but you gotta do it........glad your grandson liked it though.

Would you recommend a Sugar Factory?? Heard varying reviews of it......from super to awful???

Glad you enjoyed Margaritaville and Lombards.......always have good food and service here........getting hungry now after reading this.......almost bedtime too.......lol........

Looking for more updates........

Schumi I'am glad we did the Sugar Factory. The grandkids liked it. We only had lunch there and our sandwhiches were good. They enjoyed the fancy drink with the candy in it.

It does not have the ambiance of a quaint dining experience. The menu has lots of choices for food options. When we were there at lunch it was mildly loud. I would have to say this place caters to the younger clientele.

I would give it a try for a lunch and have one of the fancy drinks. Don't think I would do dinner here as I read it is even louder at dinner time.

Saturday, May 28th continued

It was really cool walking through the empty Hogsmeade
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Parting pics
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Always sad to leave the parks on our last night.

Last edited:
Schumi I'am glad we did the Sugar Factory. The grandkids liked it. We only had lunch there and our sandwhiches were good. They enjoyed the fancy drink with the candy in it.

It does not have the ambiance of a quaint dining experience. The menu has lots of choices for food options. When we were there at lunch it was mildly loud. I would have to say this place caters to the younger clientele.

I would give it a try for a lunch and have one of the fancy drinks. Don't think I would do dinner here as I read it is even louder at dinner time.

Yes, think a lunch might be good just to say we've gone..........sandwiches are usually good anywhere!

Menu does look good though.......we plan to do the eye during the day and at night this time, so may mix the day time eye visit with SF and keep a more suitable night time dinner option for other visit........

Nice update!

Sunday, May 29th

Up this morning early. Had our breakfast at Portofino on the piazza. Then it was time to check out and head south to Vero.

Today we spent the day by the pool.

Dinner at Big Apple Pizza.

Monday, May 30th

Today we had breakfast at Mrs. Mac's Fillin Station had our fav breakfast eggs Benedict and grits. Did remember to take pic before to late
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Then it was off to a fun day at the beach. Sun was warm and wind off the Atlantic was great
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Then more pool time.

Tuesday, May 31st

Pool and beach.

Wednesday, June 1st

Pool and beach.

Thursday, June 2nd

Decided decided to take the grandchildren up to Juno Beach to the Loggerhead Marinelife Center.

This is a Turtle rescue hospital. It has a large educational learning center, surgery suites, large tanks out doors which have Turtles in varying degrees of treatment.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

This Turtle was being loaded on the gurney for a move to the treatment center for a ultrasound
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Last edited:
Thursday, June 2nd continued
image.jpeg

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
They have a placard with the Turtles injury report and treatment.

There are wonderful volunteers who are very informative and happy to answer all questions.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg
This Turtle has air in its intestines which makes it hard for it to submerge its back end. The volunteer asked my grandson if he new the name for that condition. He said yes "It is called bubble butt". The volunteer looked at him and said your right.
image.jpeg
A Hawksbill Turtle

If you are in the area of Juno Beach this is a great place to visit for adults and children. They only request $ 5.00 donation. All money is used in rescue and treatment of the injured Turtles.

They had a Turtle release that morning but, we did not get there in time. They release the Turtles back to the ocean after they are well again.

When released some Turtles have a very expensive tracking advice that is adhered to their shell that allows the research team to track their position.

They also have a nice gift shop with t-shirts and nice educational material on Turtles as well as toys.

After we had our visit with the Turtles it a time for lunch. Decided to give the Thirsty Turtle a try. Decided we would continue with the Turtle theme. Just a name. They don't sell Turtle.
image.jpeg

Last edited:
Wednesday, June 2nd continued

Granddaughter and I decided to have the mahi fish sandwhich. It was pretty good.
image.jpeg
Grandson decided on spicy shrimp tacos. He said they were great.
image.jpeg

With filled tummy its was time to return to Vero and late afternoon pool time.

Friday, June 3rd

We were supposed to leave early in the morning to catch flight out of Sandford. Cell text message rang at 12:55 am and it was a message from Allegiant saying our flight had been canceled. Was on phone over an hour trying settle flight arrangements.

Back to bed finally at 3 am. Ok, vacation extended by a day.

More later

Love the pictures of the sea turtles. Great food pictures too. And ah yes, the return flight issues. Not a fun way to end a really fun vacation.

How fun!

Wow that food looks good......love mahi sandwiches.......and onions look lush!!!

Glad the extra day didn't impact you at all.......I always says we'd be happy to stay another day or two......lol......

Love the pictures of the sea turtles. Great food pictures too. And ah yes, the return flight issues. Not a fun way to end a really fun vacation.

We really enjoyed ourselves at the Turtle rescue. Always fun to try new places to eat on vacation.

How fun!

Wow that food looks good......love mahi sandwiches.......and onions look lush!!!

Glad the extra day didn't impact you at all.......I always says we'd be happy to stay another day or two......lol......

Carole I always enjoy reading your trip reports. Always very well written, with beautiful pictures and well thought out places to visit and eat. I realize now what a time consuming labor of love it has been for you to share your trips with us.

After trying my hand at this small trip report I realize the work involved and mine was on a much smaller scale.

Thank you for all your ideas. It has forced me to think of doing things in Orlando that I would have never thought of. We had a great time on our trip.

Carole I always enjoy reading your trip reports. Always very well written, with beautiful pictures and well thought out places to visit and eat. I realize now what a time consuming labor of love it has been for you to share your trips with us.

After trying my hand at this small trip report I realize the work involved and mine was on a much smaller scale.

Thank you for all your ideas. It has forced me to think of doing things in Orlando that I would have never thought of. We had a great time on our trip.

Lol......thank you Robo........it is time consuming but always worth it for keeping memories alive.

Photographs are special and I adore looking back on them. You're doing well with yours, it's so nice to see what you did on your trip........:)

How did I miss your TR?!? Awesome trip, going to nominate you for coolest gramma award!

I avoid Monster's scary food, appreciate seeing the pics of the decor again. :scratchin May have to work it in as you suggest and just grab a drink mid afternoon next trip.

Great pics across the board, appreciate that many are 'people free'. :yay:I enjoy associating a face to the name and seeing the big ole grins in evidence whilst enjoying the park but feel it can distract from the actual thing one is attempting to capture. I'm trying to be more pro-active in that regard and attempting to remember to take 2 shots, one with & one without traveling companions.

Seriously, great to see the work with the turtles! So many people visit Florida and never set foot outside the parks, missing so much.

Great pics across the board, appreciate that many are 'people free'. :yay:I enjoy associating a face to the name and seeing the big ole grins in evidence whilst enjoying the park but feel it can distract from the actual thing one is attempting to capture. I'm trying to be more pro-active in that regard and attempting to remember to take 2 shots, one with & one without traveling companions.

I agree Janet.........we do that at times too........we like people free shots too :thumbsup2

You'd like the picture of the day thread a lot.......folks that post pictures on that thread don't put people in them......it's just park pictures without having to look at family members...........

Nice for a change.......

And yes, Robo could win coolest gramma award.........::yes::

I agree Janet.........we do that at times too........we like people free shots too :thumbsup2

You'd like the picture of the day thread a lot.......folks that post pictures on that thread don't put people in them......it's just park pictures without having to look at family members...........

Nice for a change.......

Yes, glad my GD doesn't do the DIS, the bar has been raised:).

How did I miss your TR?!? Awesome trip, going to nominate you for coolest gramma award!

I avoid Monster's scary food, appreciate seeing the pics of the decor again. :scratchin May have to work it in as you suggest and just grab a drink mid afternoon next trip.

Seriously, great to see the work with the turtles! So many people visit Florida and never set foot outside the parks, missing so much.

Thank you so much for your comments Keisha. I have learned so much from you all on fun things not to miss at Universal and the resorts and beyond. You have had a hand and making me be a more adventurous Nana.

Nice for a change.......

Thanks Carole. You were responsible for giving me some great ideas that made this trip extra special. Your love of all things Universal and RPR is truly a labor of love which bears itself out in your great trip reports. Thanks again for sharing.

Hopefully we will get some people pics at HHN to share this year. I'm looking forward to it.

Friday, June 3rd continued.

Well, I woke up a bit sleep deprived after trying to make arrangements with the airline to get home on another flight at 2 am this morning. We were supposed to have been up very early this morning to drive to Sandford and catch the plane back to Indiana.

Poor grandson came running to my room this morning saying "oh no we over slept". I told him what happened and he could go back to sleep.

Grandchildren were ready for to get home to see their mom and dad.

We had not had the chance to go and see if the Manatee's were hanging out in their favorite spot. So decided to see if we could see them today.

Said a little prayer for success and we were definitely rewarded

I think what we have here is a family
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
This little Manatee is nursing. It's mothers nipple is under her flipper.

image.jpeg
Baby manatees will nurse for about a year.

The grandchildren were thrilled to get a visit from this lovely Manatee family.
image.jpeg

After we left our visit with the manatees I decided to take the grandchildren to my favorite chocolate store Bruno Chocolate Creations in Fort. Pierce for a pick of some of their yummy chocolates. My favorite is the raspberry milk chocolate.

The grandchildren were happy to make their selections and enjoyed their chocolates.

They have a lovely lady who has worked for them for over 40 years and I was amazed at how she is able to dip and lay out her chocolate without wasting a drop
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
This is a family owned business and very friendly. I love to support small businesses and their quality of chocolates are superb.

After our manatee visit and tasty chocolate treats it was time to head to the pool and enjoy more water time.

The grandchildren decided that Olive Garden was going to be their last dinner on vacation. What's not to love about endless salad and breadsticks. The Olive Garden in Vero has never failed to provide fresh delicious food and great service.

I decided to have a mango martini it was very good
image.jpeg

Full from dinner and knowing we were going to have to be up and leave the house by 3 am we went home and sorted out the last packing and went to bed.

Saturday, June 4,

The drive in the dark on 95 north was uneventful. Thank the Lord.

Babies slept on the way to airport. We arrived in Sandford and turned in the car and went through the checkin process.

The grandchildren were were checking out the morning breakfast offerings at the airport resturants and they decided on some breakfast sandwiches. I can not eat that early in the morning. The young tummies don't seemed to be bothered with digestive time constraints LOL.

We finally boarded the plane and the babies were happy they were going to see their mom and dad soon. This had been the longest vacation from their parents.

The plane landed in Owensboro and they were happy to be back on terra firma. My husband was waiting for us and they ran to grandpas arms.

Our son and daughter-in-law were waiting for us when we drove up to our house. I can't tell you how it warms my heart to see those grandchildren enveloped in their parents arms.

The grandchildren and I had a wonderful trip and did lots of fun things together. I knew after 2 weeks of having them I was going to go through grandbaby withdrawal.

I always tell people, having children is a blessing and the love you feel for them is incredible, then they give you grandchildren and there is this second blessing that is magic.

Last edited:
Oh your poor grandson thinking you had all slept in.......bet he was relieved!!!

Mango martini looks lush!!!

Lovely, lovely trip report...........you did some fun things on that trip, and I agree spending time with family is truly a blessing......

Thank you for taking the time to do such a lovely trip report, really enjoyed reading along with it and your pictures were lovely also................:wave2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter