Names other than 'grandma.'

Don't worry about it because your kids will have their own ideas. My dad didn't want to be called grandpa but that's what my older son calls them. My toddler calls them gampa and ganma.

Myself, I used grandma and grandpa on one side... and grandmother and grandfather on the other side (that really sounds pretentious)

I have heard a lot of MawMaw and PawPaw before.

DH and I have been discussing this with my mother lately. She's not the "Grandma" type. DH's parents are already "Granna" and Grandpa to our nieces, and the other grandparents are Nana and Papa. So Grandma, Granna, and Nana are out for my mother. She doesn't like Meemaw (I suggested that since Sheldon Cooper cracks us all up) or Yia Yia or Meme...

I finally just :confused3 and said she'd probably end up as Gram. I grew up with my mom and her parents, and for some reason, I just always called my grandmother Gram.

Or maybe...she has a coworker/friend that's my age, and her 5-year-old daughter calls her "Gramma Zheel" (Mom's name is Jill).

Growing up we always called my stepmom's parents Grandmom and Grandad and my stepdad's parents, Grandma M and Grandpa M. I guess it would depend on the situation. If they are in a stable relationship and have been together a long time and are planning on staying committed to one another, I would have no problems with my kids calling my dad's girlfriend, grandmom or grandma.

I called my moms dad grandad cockydoodle because we had to get up early to go see him. I did this for years until one day at the coffee shop I said in front of his friends, "hey granddad (shortened first syllable of cockydoodle) will you get me a soda?" , he became grandpa hank after that.

....my kids always called their grandmothers 'Grandma'....however, my DSis-in-L's kids call their grandma na-na-na (pronounced NAH-nuh-nuh)....:confused3

apirateslifeforme said:
DH and I have been discussing this with my mother lately. She's not the "Grandma" type. DH's parents are already "Granna" and Grandpa to our nieces, and the other grandparents are Nana and Papa. So Grandma, Granna, and Nana are out for my mother. She doesn't like Meemaw (I suggested that since Sheldon Cooper cracks us all up) or Yia Yia or Meme...

I finally just :confused3 and said she'd probably end up as Gram. I grew up with my mom and her parents, and for some reason, I just always called my grandmother Gram.

Or maybe...she has a coworker/friend that's my age, and her 5-year-old daughter calls her "Gramma Zheel" (Mom's name is Jill).

My mom is "Granna" to my DD4 :)

My mom is "Granna" and my dad is "Papa" to DD4.

My best friend's mom is "Sweet T" to her grand kids because her first name starts with a "T" (and sweet tea is big in the South)! ;)

I also know a Lolly and Pop! Super cute!!!

My parents are Grammy and Poppy to my niece (she was the first grandchild). My son who is 19 month younger than my niece calls them Mimi and Pa. We referred to them as Grammy and Poppy but I think what happened was my son sees my parents 3-4 days a week (my niece maybe every 3 months) since he saw them all the time and wanted to say their names, he called them what he could say, which was Mimi and Pa. Somehow Mimi is now called "the meem". It's hilarious, to hear my son say "the meem come play with me".

My in laws are grandma and grandpa.

We also have Nana Lois (my mom's best friend who was like a grandmother to me growing up). And DS calls my brother's inlaws Grandmom Kim and Pop Tony. We also have a few close adult friends that he calls aunt or uncle. Lord help me when he has to do a family tree. It's going to be confusing to explain that 1/2 these people aren't related! Or maybe I'll just add them on since our family is so small!

My mom and stepdad are Grammy and Grandpa

My MIL and DHs stepdad are Grandma and his first name

My Dad and stepmom are Papa and her first name

FIL and DHs stepmom are Papa first name and her first name

My grandma is Maggie (not her name BTW, just what I always called her)

I don't think she is a person who would call herself grandma and sign gifts as grandma if we asked her not to. She is pretty laid back.

I cannot imagine asking her outright not to go by grandma. :(

I can imagine figuring out an alternative name if your mom will be going by grandma and you don't want more than one "grandma".

Growing up, we called both of my parent's moms grandma. When we needed to differentiate we tacked on the last name.

My partner has a grandson and goes by Oma, the German name for grandma. We don't know what he will call me and I'm not worried about it. He's starting to talk now and I told her that we'd wait to see what he comes up with. Hey, I just figured it out--Grandma Tig! :rotfl2: Actually, his great grandmother's deceased husband was the voice of Tigger at one time, so I guess she might not like me taking over the Tigger name. ;)

Anyway, my partner referred to me as "Aunt Linda", but I reminded her that I'm her partner, not her daughter. :laughing: This poor grandson, though, will have so many names to keep track of....on his dad's side there's Oma, me, his grandpa and his wife, the great grandmother, and the in-laws of the baby's grandpa (parents of the grandpas wife), who are involved in his life. That's a lot of extended grandparents and they all live within an hour from the baby. :eek: Thankfully his mom's parents stayed married to each other so that side won't be too complicated. :rotfl:

I called my moms dad grandad cockydoodle because we had to get up early to go see him. I did this for years until one day at the coffee shop I said in front of his friends, "hey granddad (shortened first syllable of cockydoodle) will you get me a soda?" , he became grandpa hank after that.
:rotfl:

MichelleinMaine said:
See my post- we have Grampa by the Lake, who doesn't live on a lake anymore, lol!

:thumbsup2

My Gram, when differentiating between the two grandmas, was always called Grandma Who Lives Here (she lived with us).
Even now, when she's been gone since 2000, when the house we lived in had been sold..and torn down, my brother will say something about Grandma and I'll say which one? And he'll reply Grandma Who Lives Here. LOL

Growing up I had a Nana (moms side) and Grandma (dads) and a Grandpa. DS will have Gramps, Grams/Grammy, and a "Gamcraka", yeah DH decided one day when she was down hear visiting that Gramcracker was a great name for his mom and since she is from Mass and lives in Maine now most of the R's have disappeared so people look at us very strangely when we talk about "Gamcraka". Though this is what we call them now, who knows what he will actually call them.
Nana got her name from my Oldest cousin who heard it from a friend and it ended up all her grandkids and great grandkids call her Nana.

When my faternal grandparents became grandparents many yrs before I was born they thought they was to young to be called grandma an grandpa so became "Mom an Poppy".
They was still having babies of their own at the time.

I remember finishing 1st grade an all my friends called their grandmothers Grandma I seen my grandmother at a family reunion an called her grandma an was very quickly scolded for it an told it was "Mom"

Now it was funny at "Moms" house on Sunday afternoons when grandkids went into the room hollering MOM an 8 or 10 females would say WHAT? Very large family daddy was 1 of 12 I was 1 of over 50 grandkids.

My nephew called my parents Mammaw & Pappaw an it stuck my kids called them the same as did my niece.

My grandsons call me MOM MOM.

My grandmothers were called Grandma (on my mother's side) and, after the Italian loosely, Nonna ( on my dad's side).

My favorite though, is my Aunt. Her grandd had difficulty with speech. So the normal names were difficult for her. To make a long story short, my aunt always is one to see them and ask them to give her some sugar. (kisses etc for those who aren't sure!) Her grandd could say sugar, so Aunt became Sugar. Thats her name now even for the rest of us. Too cute.

Kelly

Yep...that is how my aunt become Munga for Grandma...her oldest grandson got Grandma mixed up and it came out Munga...it stuck.

We always had Grandma/Grandpa paternal last name and Grandma/Grandpa maternal last name....so never even gave it a thought to call each side something different. The only issue I ever had was we usually just call them Grandma/Grandpa & only use the last name when talking to someone else -- my kids really only have 1 set of grandparents since my MIL died when my DD was little and it came to light that my 9 year old just assumed my mom was Grandma his last name...instead of Grandma my maiden name.

So...sometimes even though you want a certain name...the grandkids themselves create one.

My husbands parents were Grandma and Grandpa. My husband is the youngest of 8 so there were many little ones before mine. They were deceased when my children were born, but out of respect they are Grandma and Grandpa.

My Mother was Nana and my father PaPa. When my brother had his daughter much later (my children were say around 9 and 11) they wanted her to be Grandma. So my mother refers to herself as Grandma. She now signs her cards that way or leaves messages. My children do not like it at all. Getting a card from dead Grandma or phone message is just too much for them!!:lmao: I tried to explain to my mother how the kids refer to her as Nana and they love their Nana, but she just won't budge.

So from the feelings of a child, changing or pushing a name may upset them.

My parents (DS's grandparents) are Grandma and Grandpa, as well as DH's mother. Sometimes, we say "Grandma Julie" for DH's mom, as we don't see her all that often due to distance. DS knows who is who...DH and I use the first names to make it easier on us.

My maternal grandmother was known as Grams, and my paternal grandmother was known as Nonnie...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter