Name three things that did NOT live up the hype?

Was this booked through DCL? I'm still trying to decide which excursions to do, and this is very informative! Thanks! :)

Yes, it was the Cozumel Beach Break through DCL. I think it cost well over $200

The day before we did our own beach break at Grand Cayman and just caught a taxi (rates are set on the island) to a beach club (places along the seven mile where you can have chairs and other services). There are tons of taxis right at the dock and at the beach clubs. We rode a nice bus back to the dock. This Club Royale Beach Club was admission free ($4 per person taxi ride there) and then you could rent chaise chairs at $5 each(just 2 for us 'cause out little kids didn't need them). Total excursion for us was $50 plus the tip for taxi and our own food cost. There were showers and changing facilities there...very decent...nice. We didn't get chairs in the front row initially but soon moved to the front right by the water when someone left. The chairs weren't AS crammed in but still far from "our ideal". The food was purchased on our own...decent bar type food. Not a real local feel as American girls guys were the servers. They didn't have water toys (rafts/climbers) but I'm not aware of any that did on G. Cayman. We enjoyed the time...it felt more free spirited.

For Cozumel, look into Paradise Beach. It's rated in Fodor's travel and many others on the boards have gone there. They also have a website if you look for it. The Disney CM's also spoke highly of it when we almost didn't get a spot on the Cozumel Beach Break. They said they knew it was totally safe and many went there and loved it. Our Croatian CM said, "Oh, yes...you can go on your own just fine"!

Have fun. We're just used to having our own space and more flexibility so maybe we're spoiled. After all...you'll be in Cozumel and other great destinations!!!:goodvibes

~allie

As I said in another post, our recent 4-night cruise on the Wonder was our first ever cruise. I had always had very negative ideas about cruising and was never interested. So when I finally did go on our cruise it exceeded my expectations in all areas and we all had a fabulous time. Even the almost-15-year old, who in general isn't too thrilled by the idea of family vacations these days. It was one of our best experiences ever.

I live in NYC and have travelled extensively and eaten in some of the best restaurants in the world, including Taillevent in Paris, a restaurant which many people consider the best restaurant in the world. Does any of the food, including Palo, compare? Not even close. But in general it was all much, much better than I expected for mass-produced food. And Palo was really quite good. I think it all depends on your expectations.

Our disembarkation process couldn't have been easier. We walked off the ship, no waiting, got our bags and were through customs in less than ten minutes. Maybe there's more of a crush if you get off early - we had an 8am breakfast seating and left the ship shortly before 9am. We were in no particular hurry since we were going back to Orlando for a couple of days.

But since this thread is looking for things that didn't live up to the hype I'll try to come up with something. Agree that the "show" at Animator's wasn't much of a show but I still love that restaurant. The design is so cool, so different, so Disney, that we all loved it. Didn't particularly care for the Hercules show even though the singers were fantastic. Nassau - meh. Never feel the need to go there again. We did enjoy the pirate museum there, though. Probably the biggest negative was our main server and in that case it was too much of a good thing. He really tried too hard, to the point where he was very intrusive. And on the last night, when he saw my son struggling a little to cut his steak he rushed over and proceeded to cut it in bite-size pieces for him. Okay if this was a five-year-old, not so cool for a 14-year-old. My son was mortified. And it was a little depressing the way everything shut down the night before and they way you were rushed through breakfast the last day. But all told that's probably far fewer complaints than I would have for any other trip we've ever taken. And I could go on for pages about everything that exceeded my expectations, things that we really enjoyed.

first - our cruise was awesome - that's why we're going again.....

things that didn't live up:

1. Dining room service...we could see far better service at the tables around us...servers were very nice, just not very good.

2. Music - no steel drum music????:confused3 when I am on vacation in the Caribbean/Mexico - I want to feel like I am there. Loved the Disney music inside. Got really tired of the same old a t all the parties - I realize it is mainly for the kids - but they could have worked in other stuff at times.....

3. enforcement of rules: it is one thing to allow anything goes dress on formal night - it is quite another to allow jumping into a crowded pool. It is just a fact that some people refuse to parent - Disney needs to step up and take that responsibility. I also agree with the flash/etc in the shows.

Smaller things: Cookies BBQ - had heard great things....but everything was just mediocre and the dining area could have been cleaner; show the last night not nearly as good as others; buffet area is claustrophobic compared to what we had experienced on RCCL - couldn't believe how close it was; shopping is too limited; Shutters is a disaster; graduation ceremony - been there, done that..no need to do it again; Animators Palette - did not live up to hype..was very nice but not a "not miss"...and there were areas that just were not even functioning (not Disney magic); dinner "shows" in general were the same old parade around and wave napkins - not in the "not miss" category our servers got us to wait around for; desserts - especially cakes all tasted the same and blah..most on the dessert buffet are just for show.

I know this sound slike alot of complaining - but I feel Disney Cruise LIne is the best - there are areas that could be improved though...

to balance it out, here are things I liked that others have mentioned:

disembarkation was smooth and fast - we have experienced RCCL and DCL does it right - could not believe how organized. If the line is long and it looks to be a wait - you still have the choice of sitting in a common area for the wait, don't you? Food - knew not to expect excellent..it was more than good enough for us. Sailaway - have experienced this on RCCL where it was nothing but hawking drinks - DCL's was very nice - except for the music as mentioned above. Loved Pirate Party - except same old music again. Loved split bathroom.

I'm a little confused about all of the "cheese plate" let downs.:confused3
Did I miss the "You've got to get a cheese plate!" thread? Why would this be a big deal?

THANKS OP and all the posters!!

We're about to go on our first Disney Cruise (or any cruise for that matter), and this "unhyping the hype" is actually pretty valuable to me. Realistic expectations are an important part to a successful trip. None of these stories have made me any less excited--I know it will be awesome!!

I also now know not to plan on my DS being in a state of bliss in the Lab (maybe he will, and maybe he wont---but I'll plan for both). I'll plan to enjoy the meals, but wont plan on the best food ever to enter my mouth (that way if it happens, I'll be pleasantly surprised). I'll know to plan on a noisy meal--doubt that will bother me, but its nice to be ready for that. I'll plan on AP being a neat visual effect in the background during our meal--but wont plan on it to meet "show" quality (again, possibly setting myself up to be pleasantly surprised).

Thanks to those willing to risk sounding like complainers (I don't think anyone on this thread took it like that--I think everyone understood the purpose) in order to prepare those of us who are new.

GREAT THREAD!!! CARRY ON

WendyL...EXACTLY!!

I just went on my first cruise (Disney or otherwise) and it was WONDERFUL. Or Magical since I went on a 7 day...

I am GLAD I read some of the posts pointing out a few things otherwise it can almost seem like everything is SO over-the-top all the time that it becomes almost like a legend. Rare is it anyone can live up to that and its kind of not fair either.

I LOVED my cruise, can't wait to go again. Not everything was perfect, but I went with expectations that were realistic so I didn't get too disappointed, but still was thrilled enough when things DID happen that were incredible.

I feel it actually allowed me to enjoy things more to tell you the truth...

I'm so glad to read this thread!

I've never seen the Pirate Party. I was determined on our last cruise to see it, but our youngest always falls apart on that night. I'm grateful for folks stating that its like the sail away with fireworks. The sail away is too crowded and loud for me, but I still am so excited to be on the boat that I send my family into the fray and I skirt about on deck 10 with a DOD :banana:

I'd have to say the thing that bothers me the most on our cruises is how so many CMs have to tell me that they work 80 hours a week and are cut off from their families. Why do so many tell me that? I've noticed that other places, though, too, service workers will sit down and talk to us, so maybe we seem very folksy and conversational. Normally I love it, but it really affects how much I enjoy myself when I think that the CMs are bitter about their work life. I was relieved when I spoke to a former crew member of another line who said that crew quarters/areas on DCL were the best in the industry.

We love the food on DCL! We eat in most meals while at home, so we don't have a huge amount of delightful meals out to compare it to. Also, since we have little ones we always pick kid friendly places. Yes, sadly, Friendly's staff know us.;) While the show at AP enchanted me the only the first time, my kids remain enthralled.

In Palo's we've always gotten wonderful service and wonderful food, but I've sometimes noticed the server chattiness I described above leading to other tables getting less than stellar service! Sorry!

We've had bad times on all our vacations, but the thing about DCL is that we can fix the problem almost immediatley. Fussy child, kids club. Won't stay in kids club, eat at Topsiders. Bad dining time, changed.

The worst thing for me is that I don't make better DIS friends. I've always been chasing a baby or toddler and my husband has tinnitus (ringing in his ears) so our conversations with other disers are fleeting on my part and one sided on my husband's part.

Here's to perfecting the cruise experience with the next one! I'm game!

I'm a little confused about all of the "cheese plate" let downs.:confused3
Did I miss the "You've got to get a cheese plate!" thread? Why would this be a big deal?

We had read a lot about how great the cheese platter was before our 2005 cruise (it's available from the room service menu). It's cheese, some crackers, and some grapes (as I recall), not the big deal we'd seen written about. Now, I've also read that they can be different, depending on what CM makes them up, so this probably varies. Ours was...OK... nothing to write home about (or the DIS board, either ;) ).

I woould like to see changes charging for popcorn at movies old popcorn at that. We are not big eaters and we certainly felt like we were paying for everyone else. Too watch some people go through the morning buffet line you'd think it was the last meal. Same with lunch and it made me thankful booze wasn't free God only knows what my kids would have been exposed too. The food that was wasted on board by guest was gross. It made us want to eat even less. How many danish and omlets, scm eggs can one humanbeing actually consume go on a cruise theres always someome pushing the envalope. Maybe if everything was a sit down the cruise price would come down because there wouldn't be somany people trying to eat there price of the trip. The only other thing I would change is how much motion the Disney boats feel. I don't know why but it was like being on a ride you couldn't get off. The christmas garland was rockin back n forth in the restaurants. It was a rough 3 days. Disney can't control the weather but they should offer some kind of compensation when yoyu book a trip to go to the Disney island and the ship spends all morning trying to dock then offers bingo and other lame participation games instead was in really bad taste. I personally could'nt wait for the cruise directer to put the mic down I wanted to relax not listen to him. Turn the music down to a level that I can taqlk to the person next to my without yelling at the family pool. ok I had alot of things I would change

The Cheese "platter"- a few crackers, a couple piece of cheese and 2 grapes-NO big deal, wouldn't bother ordering it again

The "light show" at animators- after reading all the hype on here it was a big dissappointment.

The pools-that gross color they become by the afternoon is disgusting.

I really love DCL!! I thought pirates night was wonderful. Before going on the cruise I thought pirates night would be just for kids, but it was my favorite night on the ship. I also love Palo, the adult pool, and I enjoyed my meals in the dining rooms. I had wonderful servers. The best thing about the servers was that you'd see them during the day working at other areas and they'd come over and say hello to you, and they always seemed genuinely happy to see you. I spent a lot of time at the Quiet Cove pool and I thought the cocktail servers were excellent. I never went without a drink. While at Castaway Cay the same servers were walking the beach and made sure I had everything I needed. I thought disembarkation was wonderful. We had late dining, so we were the last group to have breakfast. Once breakfast was done we walked right off the boat.

I do have a couple of small complaints:

I thought we would see more characters. We got pictures at the character breakfast, but it seemed really rushed. The only other character photo I got was with Captain Hook when I was boarding in Castaway Cay.

I did the Beach Break excursion in Cozumel that someone else mentioned and I would not recommend it. The lunch that was included was a buffett that was COVERED IN FLIES!! I was so hungry by the time I got back on the ship. Also if you're not used to being around tons of kids this is not a good excursion for you. On the boat Disney has separate adult areas which is wonderful, but on this excursion, kids were everywhere and most of the parents were letting them run wild. I got sand thrown at me by a child.

1. The food
2. The noise in the restaurants. It sounds like a cafeteria, silverware clinky galore.
3. The last night, everything closes up.

I have heard mixed reviews on the food, all i can say is it was outstanding, better then i expected.

What I thought needed improvement.
1/ Bring back the steel drum band!! More Jimmy B. music. More adult dance music at night.

2. More character interaction..

I had one really bad meal at Tritons...should have sent it back and asked for something else, but filled up on dessert instead!

I Loved everything else....even the cheese platter!
Just booked another for next summer,Love love love Disney cruises!

2. Castaway Cay... I think the "post office" shouldn't even be there since they are not DCL employees or contractors there is no incentive to offer good service. The rudest experience has been with whoever is in that post office.

DITTO!

Imagine my frustration that when I ran up to the door at 4:05pm (they close at 4pm despite the embarkation being at 5pm). Many grumpy people, having trudged miles from even Serenity Bay, cursing at the woman through the window. Why the heck even have this place? Just sell stamps at the store and have a mailbox. You don't need someone there post-marking on site.

Split bathrooms - seems like whatever I needed was always in "the other one" and they're both too small for a pooh-sized woman.

I so agree with this.
I am short and my knees were right up against the wall, I feel sorry for anyone over 5ft tall.

Here are my three;

1) the food did not live up to the hype....but I have been on other cruises and I think that is the same for all of the ones that I have been on. yes, there is ALOT of food, and some of it is very good.....but i do not think any of it is or will be the best food i have ever eaten. But for preparing 2000+ (or however many people are on the ship?) entrees the food is good. but not 5 star cuisine good, if you know what I am trying to say.

2) the 'show" at animators palate. So many raves on this board about that.......but I think it was my own expectations that gave me the letdown. If I had not known about it, I think I would have been more impressed with it.

And my 3rd thing that did not live up to the hype/ Nothing....I could only come up with 2 things!!!!! Other than that, loved every minute of the cruise and am going back on the may 5th Western!!!!!:cool1: :cool1: :cool1:

DITTO!

Imagine my frustration that when I ran up to the door at 4:05pm (they close at 4pm despite the embarkation being at 5pm). Many grumpy people, having trudged miles from even Serenity Bay, cursing at the woman through the window. Why the heck even have this place? Just sell stamps at the store and have a mailbox. You don't need someone there post-marking on site.

Couldn't agree more. On our stop at CC on February 16 it wasn't even open. We had to post our postcards at GS. They were then mailed from Port Canaveral--not the "exotic" postmark I was looking for!!:rotfl:

i've only been on two cruises ~ first was RCCL explorer of the seas which i absolutely loved ~ second disney magic western ~ my things that did not live up to the hype on the magic were ~

the food
the pools
SOME of the CM's/service

1. SHopping on board. here should be (IMHO) a wider variety of DCL stuff.

2. Castaway Club reception -- Uh, right before dinner?? Could we maybe do it as a lunch thing??

3. Not much else. I find the food to be fine. I'm not a "haute' cuisine" kind of guy, and heck, by the end I've eaten so much I just want a plate of lettuce for dinner & not much else.

Wonder - May 27, 2007. Be there or be square..............!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter