Name some cars that get over 30mpg

Holy cow! 260K miles in 10 years? That is a LOT of miles!

I would love a Beetle, not sure DH would go for one though, it would need to be a different VW.

Dawn

No kidding!:eek: That Jetta went to Seattle, the coast of Georgia, towed a VW Bus to San Diego(hence the 5th gear issue) and countless trips in between. The Beetle is preowned(I don't think I'll buy a new car again for a while) and has 120K miles on it. So I guess I would say go TDI and certified preowned. I'm just not a fan of the Prius styling, but to each his own:)

To expand on dis-happy's post, as small cars go, the Chevy Cruze has way more room than most of its' compact bretheren (Civic, Mazda 3, etc.).

And get this -- the trunk really is big-enough to load-up for a road trip to WDW.

Plus, if you opt-for the manual transmission "Eco" model, you'll get well-over 42 MPG. Otherwise, most Cruze automatics will get you in the high-30s on the highway, easily.

And best of all, it's assembled right here at home (Lordstown, Ohio), but it has the styling/features of an import (as the vehicle was designed by GM's Korean division, while the turbocharged engines were built by GM's Austrian subsidiary).

For those who would like to learn more from a forum similar to this one with opinions by real owners (and see my own Cruze in pictures), check-out www.cruzetalk.com . I use the same user name, over there, as well.

Another vote for the Hyundai Elantra we have a 08 and get between 35 and 40 mpg, great car very confortable.

I have an '07 Hyundai Elantra and I get about 35-37 mpg.
The new ones get 40!

Great little car, I have had no issues with it and it comes with a 100,000 mile warranty.

Just purchased the 2011 Hyundai Elantra new, and I now have 1200 miles on it I am getting near 42 mpg. Note, this is not highway driving... but it isn't stop & go... I commute 40 miles one way through the Green Mountains of VT and hit only one traffic light in town.

Now I'm told that the car will get better milage as she is not officially "broken in". We were going to hold out for the 2012... but in reading the specs for it I wasn't comfortable with a new feature where (and I'm trying to remember this correctly) the car would "turn-off" when stopped and then "turn-on" when you hit the accelerator... seemed too risky for this girl.

My last car was a '99 Elantra with 120K hard city miles... on a manual transmission... so I'm hoping this snazzy little beast with 148 hp will take me for just at least that long.

Interesting.

Not sure if we would drive it to Disney or not, but certainly for around town it would be good.

Dawn

To expand on dis-happy's post, as small cars go, the Chevy Cruze has way more room than most of its' compact bretheren (Civic, Mazda 3, etc.).

And get this -- the trunk really is big-enough to load-up for a road trip to WDW.

Plus, if you opt-for the manual transmission "Eco" model, you'll get well-over 42 MPG. Otherwise, most Cruze automatics will get you in the high-30s on the highway, easily.

And best of all, it's assembled right here at home (Lordstown, Ohio), but it has the styling/features of an import (as the vehicle was designed by GM's Korean division, while the turbocharged engines were built by GM's Austrian subsidiary).

For those who would like to learn more from a forum similar to this one with opinions by real owners (and see my own Cruze in pictures), check-out www.cruzetalk.com . I use the same user name, over there, as well.

I bought a used Prius (2008) about a month ago and I love it. I get around 53-58 mpg (my co-worker also has one and she's a little more gas-pedal happy and gets about 48-52 mpg). I drive 420 miles a week in just going back and forth to work. It definitely has more oomph to it than I thought it would going uphill and the like. I had 4 grown adults in it and everyone commented how roomy it is, although I think 5 people would be a little tight (I don't even know if there's 3 seat belts in the backseat :confused3).

One of the things I love most about the Prius is that it runs off of the battery (while pumping out A/C) when I'm at drive-thrus of banks or food places so I'm not wasting gas sitting in line or traffic (if the battery gets too low the engine does kick in to recharge it but I've never had to sit in a line or traffic for THAT long). I've also figured out exactly how and what mph to depress the gas pedal to run completely off of battery the 5 minute drive off of interstate to my house. It's become mine and my boyfriend's game to see who can get the better gas mileage out of it when we're driving it :).

The Prius isn't for everyone, I know. It's nice to see manufacturers producing more fuel-efficient cars so we can start decreasing our use of oil. Good luck on your decision!

Hi,

These new hybrids are now out and I test drove one last week. They are as big as a camry. Trunk space takes a slight hit due to the batteries (hybrid and the regular battery are in the back).

The first level is what I drove and it was nicely equpped at $26k. The loaded version is just under $32k and includes GPS, heated leather seats front and back, & panoramic sunroof. I was super impressed and hope to get one next year. They advertise 40 mpg.

Can't beat the warranty which includes the hybrid batteries. I currently drive a 2003 CRV & get 22.8 mpg, so this car would cut my gas costs nearly in half.

Best of luck selecting a car!

Another Hyundai vote here, I have a 2011 Sonata SE and have been averaging 30 mpg with a mix of highway and stop and go. I went to Cocoa Beach from Orlando and averaged 39 mpg. Love this car.

My dad has a Chevy Impala and as a sales rep, he gets 29 - 30 MPG highway, and 27 in town.

I haven't seen anyone mention the car we have.

It's a ford fusion 4 cylinder. We get 32 to 36 miles a gallon. It actually has a really roomy backseat, our 13 year old is almost six foot and he never complains about sitting in the back.

We went from always driving mini vans and suv's to having this car and it has been a HUGE difference in our gas cost.

Oh wow......what a cute car!

http://www.fiatusa.com/en/500c/exterior/

Wonder if I could talk DH into this one?

Update: Yeah, DH immediately said no! Apparently that is a "chick looking car" and apparently cute is not what he is going for in a car! hahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!

Subaru outback wagon, room for everything, racks on top for tule box and over 33 mpg on around town driving.

It is rated at about 18-27, so no idea how you are getting 33mpg consistently.

Dawn

Because ratings are not real world. They are just ratings. As I've said, my wife's Ford Escape rates at 16 city 20 highway (I think) and we both now average 22 (both now that she drives more aggressively than she did before working.)

My Jetta is rated at 28 highway and I consistantly get 29-30. I definitely do not drive the turbo in an economical fashion either. Way too much fun.

I own an '08 Nissan Versa and LOVE it! It gets, on average, 32 miles per gallon. I test drove the Versa and the Honda Fit and was shocked at how much more interior room the Versa had. You would never know how roomy it is looking at the outside of it. Plus, in '08, the Fit didn't have a center arm rest in the front seat, which I, apparently, have to have in order to drive. I would love a Prius but just can't justify the initial cost increase. I can drive a ton of miles before I rack up enough extra fuel cost to pay for that.

I second (or third or fourth) votes for the Hyundai Elantra. We got a 2011 in January and get about 33 in the city and 40 on the highway. We picked it because it has the most front leg and head room for a car that gets high mpgs that I could find (DH is about 6'7"). I actually made a spreadsheet when we were car-shopping to compare because DH didn't believe there was a compact he could fit comfortably in.

The back bench isn't especially roomy but we have adults back there occassionally and it's fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter