Name one thing you'd change about DCL

Concur with the recommendation to either prohibit smoking on verandas or limit to one side of the ship. I just returned from a cruise and couldn't enjoy our veranda because of smokers around us.

YES!!!!!!!!!! How did I not think of this! Smokers just about ruined my honeymoon cruise, as we could never go out on the balcony! (Of course, I'd argue for a smoke free ship)

OMG, that is a pretty draconian assessment of effects of smelling smoke on your verandah. Was sitting on the verandah really the centerpiece of your honeymoon? :confused3

They fixed this on the Dream and Fantasy - now there are 2, starboard and port.....both aft.

it would still be nice for them to have a drink station not on the pool deck (somewhere inside maybe near the club used for family events).

On RCCL one of the things I loved was that they had the freestyle coke machines located both in the buffet area (pool deck) and on the promenade. Made it very convenient to grab a drink before going to a show or event.

OMG, that is a pretty draconian assessment of effects of smelling smoke on your verandah. Was sitting on the verandah really the centerpiece of your honeymoon? :confused3

Some people (like myself) are seriously allergic to cigarette smoke so I can agree that this would put a huge damper on my trip! I don't want to deal with headaches, red eyes and asthma attacks on my vacation.

Please don't turn this into a smoking debate. This thread is awesome and I don't want it shut down.

Thanks.

Jill in CO

Some people (like myself) are seriously allergic to cigarette smoke so I can agree that this would put a huge damper on my trip! I don't want to deal with headaches, red eyes and asthma attacks on my vacation.

Well, smoking really wasn't the point of my post. But if one has 'serious allergic' reactions, then a veranda room was ill advised.

I haven't read the whole thread, so these have probably already been mentioned, but here goes...

1. lower, more competitive prices

2. More entertainment/activities (character greets, games in D Lounge, etc) options at night if you choose not to go to the main show. They basically force you to go to the show because they have absolutely nothing else going on during those times

3. Additional drink stations (or at least, just coffee) on other decks

4. Dream or Fantasy out of NYC. Although, I know not contractually possible for a while.

5. The ability to choose your dining rotation at the time of booking

6. A southern Caribbean itinerary

You don't have to be such a bully.

I am sorry you took it that way. I meant it as playful teasing. I know what the focus of my honeymoon was so the idea that not being able to use the verandah would ruin the honeymoon just struck me a funny.

Actually, it was a big part of it. It's the only time we've splurged on a balcony. Not that it's any of your business, but I have a pretty extreme smoke allergy; it's not just about smelling smoke.

Thank you! What blows my mind is that smokers have no concern for the fact that they affect the people around them.

Thank you! What blows my mind is that smokers have no concern for the fact that they affect the people around them.

I don't smoke, haven't in years. Anybody that is singled out and berated enough will become insensitive to the people complaining. Doesn't matter the context the result is the same.

That's kind of a generalized statement, don't you think? People need to understand that smoking is allowed on the verandahs. If you don't like it, complain to DCL and don't book a verandah until the rules are changed or take the chance of possibly having your verandah "ruined" by smokers next door.

The attack on smokers needs to stop on here, it is getting really old. I think that they get enough flack so if they are following the rules, leave them alone. Do you (as in the collective you) complain to everyone driving a Hummer or other gas guzzling, heavy polluting vehicle?

There are several people that are perfectly ok with others breaking other rules but are hard on smokers for following the rules. I don't get it.

As for everyone saying they have the right to breath clean air, there aren't many places on the planet that can happen anymore, unfortunately.

In summary, the one thing I would change is for everyone to be a little less judgmental, roll with the punches and just enjoy their vacation! :grouphug:

I don't smoke, haven't in years. Anybody that is singled out and berated enough will become insensitive to the people complaining. Doesn't matter the context the result is the same.

I agree to an extent. But I disagree that smokes have no concern with those around them. Most, if not all, of the smokers I know are VERY aware of that smoke bothers some people and go out of their way to avoid offending someone.

That's kind of a generalized statement, don't you think? People need to understand that smoking is allowed on the verandahs. If you don't like it, complain to DCL and don't book a verandah until the rules are changed or take the chance of possibly having your verandah "ruined" by smokers next door.

The attack on smokers needs to stop on here, it is getting really old. I think that they get enough flack so if they are following the rules, leave them alone. Do you (as in the collective you) complain to everyone driving a Hummer or other gas guzzling, heavy polluting vehicle?

There are several people that are perfectly ok with others breaking other rules but are hard on smokers for following the rules. I don't get it.

As for everyone saying they have the right to breath clean air, there aren't many places on the planet that can happen anymore, unfortunately.

In summary, the one thing I would change is for everyone to be a little less judgmental, roll with the punches and just enjoy their vacation! :grouphug:

Very well said! All of it and especially the last line.

As I mentioned, it is just my own personal observation. Some of us chose to be more conservative, which is a personal individual choice and I realize that that can occasionally become offended with instances that wouldn't typically bother others. (To give you a frame of reference, we personally choose not to participate in activities associated with Halloween either, which is in the same kind of category.) Again, it is just our own personal observation and we do not hold our own standard to everyone else, but since the forum asked us one thing I (not everyone) would change about it, that is why I made my comments.

The reason I said that it alienates 'a lot' is because when we mentioned it to one of the entertainment staff, he said that they actually do hear that quite a bit, but Disney does not plan to change it anytime soon. They do get a lot of 'Bible Belt'ers who may find it uncomfortable. A friend of mine who was on the Dream a few months ago left the show as well. Btw, we were the youngest in our group...at 31! So no, this is not a kid thing.

It isn't a really long segment, *for those requesting more details* but it is a deliberate attempt to begin the show in the Underworld or hell in the Greek mythology. They show ghostly white dancers (sorta undead zombiesc I guess you could say) and it definitely is a tribute to what some might deem wicked spirits.

It is a bit of a shame for me, as I mentioned, the actual tone of the show is very tongue in cheek and is more like "woe is the villain, no one ever likes us and we work hard" that kinda funny thing. They encourage the audience to cheer when the villain comes on the stage. That didn't really bother me. There was even a funny 'cat' fight with a few lady villains over the attention of Hades. It didn't even really feature magic or sorcery (which I again from a personal stand point was happy about). It just started with the ghost undead zombie dancers and I was about thisclose to giving up when they finally moved on.

That and the tram not being signaled that people were still getting on were our only downsides to the entire trip. That's a pretty stinkin' successful trip!

That is all!

You explain this well. We love all our WDW vacations despite the handful of things that offend our convictions. I won't start threads on them or go on rants, but you answered the question honestly and kindly.

And now for my complaint or one thing I would change. Some of you out there may not agree, and that is fine. For my own personal feelings, the Underworld section of the Villains show could definitely skeedattle. It gives the total wrong impression of a hilarious show. My parents plain walked out of it. We decided to stick it out and see and thankfully as soon as the Underworld sequence changed, the whole tone of the show did too. It became slapstick one liners and a villain who wasn't even a bad guy. Our Hades was literally one of the funniest actors I've ever watched live, like ever. Unfortunately, Disney alienates a lot of their audience by deliberately going the dead souls creepy factor. The rest of the show features bits from Lion King, Cruella again, a jazzy Ursela with Rockettes style dancers, and a hilarious take on a jerry springer talk show between Iago and Jafar that turns into the most surreal funny cheesey song and dance number, but it works cuz its so whack. So anyway, kudos for amazing entertainment. Well, "Believe" was just OK. I mean JUST. I probably enjoyed the opening light flying around as a real world tinkerbell than anything in the show. (With the exception of Pocahontas!!! WOOHOO!!!) However, the amazing show that sealed the deal was the Golden Mickeys the first night. Spectacular! Our singers/actors were even better than the prerecorded one you can watch in your room!

Totally agree. This is the worst Disney show ever! We go to movies to cheer for the good guys and the bad guys are intentioanally made to be unlikeable. They are intentialy exaggeratedly (if that is a word) ugly and mean.....evil. And last I checked, "evil" was BAD. I think every time I've see this show I have seen people walk out. I supposed Disney spent a ton of money on the development of the script and the costumes and reshersals so I doubt it will be scrapped. This show did not even have any recognizable songs that you could hum along with! What fun is that?!

I am sorry you took it that way. I meant it as playful teasing. I know what the focus of my honeymoon was so the idea that not being able to use the verandah would ruin the honeymoon just struck me a funny.

Understood;)

I have a lot of respect for teachers. But, I have one question... Have you ever had to go to work on Christmas morning? I would love to spend every holiday with my family. We all have to take the good with the bad.

Disney should definitely give discounts to non florida residents. With the cost of airfare it's pricing so many people out of a great vacation.

:offtopic:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter