• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Name one thing you'd change about DCL

We sail next week on our first DCL, but I'm not feeling the way the kids club is open to kids age 3-12; pre-schoolers and pre-teens aren't a good mix for my tastes and they are usually broken up a little more on other cruiselines. But, keeping an open mind. I also don't understand the assigned check in times at port and not going to your stateroom right away. Minor issues this time around b/c I selected 1pm but I found that odd.

They do have a military discount, but I think the stumbling block for some is that it does not apply to all veterans, just current active military and retired military (plus DoD civilians, current or retired). I know I've seen posts on here expressing disappointment that it didn't apply to veterans.

:thumbsup2

I think if it is open to DoD civilians then it needs to include veterans/disabled veterans but I'm biased as I fall into that group.

Jill in CO

We sail next week on our first DCL, but I'm not feeling the way the kids club is open to kids age 3-12; pre-schoolers and pre-teens aren't a good mix for my tastes and they are usually broken up a little more on other cruiselines. But, keeping an open mind. I also don't understand the assigned check in times at port and not going to your stateroom right away. Minor issues this time around b/c I selected 1pm but I found that odd.

I believe the kids are separated. Been a while since our kids were in the kid club portion, but I remember my kids not being in the same club because of age.

And last time we sailed Carnival we weren't allowed to go to stateroom right away.

While the Oceaneers Club/Lab is for ages 3-12, there are two areas within the space. Oceaneers Club has activities aimed at the 3-7 group, while Oceaneers Lab has activities aimed at the 8-12 group.

That being said, any child in the Club/Lab space can participate in whatever activities appeal to them, regardless of age.

I will also point out that there really aren't that many 11-12 year olds in there, as they usually go to Edge (11-14).

The terminal at PC was built during the time that the classic ships were the only ships DCL had. With the advent of the newer, larger, ships, the terminal was too full with all the people who wanted to "be there when the port opens, and first onboard". The fire marshal said something had to be done. What was done was having people select a PAT in order to space out the numbers of people in the terminal.

Staterooms are ready around 1:30. Remember, the prior cruise, everyone was off at 9:00 (or so DCL hopes). That only gives the room hosts (as well as all the other CMs onboard) 41/2 hours to clean/reset the rooms for the next cruise. Many times this involves some pretty deep cleaning, as well as, in some cases, even switching out mattresses, etc.

I think if it is open to DoD civilians then it needs to include veterans/disabled veterans but I'm biased as I fall into that group.

Jill in CO

Totally agree (My fiance falls into that group, so some bias here as well! ;))

In Summary-
Please build a ship that is larger than the Wonder that includes the following:
It shall be built in Japan or elsewhere so that a Panama Canal crossing isn't needed. It will reside on the West Coast. (I think home port of Los Angeles makes the most BUSINESS sense since it is close to Disneyland-few days at the parks, then hop on board). But we here on the West side aren't going to be picky. It shall have the following-more, bigger pools; fresh coffee and popcorn.
(And I feel Dole Whip machines are important as well).

I was just on the Wonder last week and after being here for several months, I was prepared to book another cruise while on board. The ONLY thing that kept me from doing it-itineraries. They were boring, the new ones that were interesting(Puerto Rico in particular) are when the kids are in school. I won't do AK on Disney since they don't include Glacier Bay and flying to FL from CA adds about $1600 for us for anywhere we cruise to on DCL. I won't do a 1 way on the West coast. Just not appealing to us in any way. All I can hope is that the drug lords in Mexico read this post, stop their shenanigans and make families feel safe enough to return to Mexico.

I think they should have a school excuse notes for kids, similar to Drs notices.

"This child came down with a bad case of Disneyitis and needed a week of Disney fun to cure it. "

Come to think of it, they should have this at the parks as well. ;)

!!! Great idea + need one for work for adults!

I agree bahacca, we haven't gone on our cruise yet but the itineraries area bit boring. We can only go during school holidays, were doing western carribean which isn't all that exciting. We're on the west coast so I wish there were some from LA that are during school holidays...

While the Oceaneers Club/Lab is for ages 3-12, there are two areas within the space. Oceaneers Club has activities aimed at the 3-7 group, while Oceaneers Lab has activities aimed at the 8-12 group.

That being said, any child in the Club/Lab space can participate in whatever activities appeal to them, regardless of age.

I will also point out that there really aren't that many 11-12 year olds in there, as they usually go to Edge (11-14).

The terminal at PC was built during the time that the classic ships were the only ships DCL had. With the advent of the newer, larger, ships, the terminal was too full with all the people who wanted to "be there when the port opens, and first onboard". The fire marshal said something had to be done. What was done was having people select a PAT in order to space out the numbers of people in the terminal.

Staterooms are ready around 1:30. Remember, the prior cruise, everyone was off at 9:00 (or so DCL hopes). That only gives the room hosts (as well as all the other CMs onboard) 41/2 hours to clean/reset the rooms for the next cruise. Many times this involves some pretty deep cleaning, as well as, in some cases, even switching out mattresses, etc.

LIke I said, I'm keeping an open mind on the entire experience, kids area included, I know they are supervised, but would prefer the areas and activities be completely separate.

I've been cruising for over 25 years, I know cruise ships get turned over in a very short period of time, but if my cabin is open, let me go ahead and drop my stuff off. They dont' wait for the last person to disembark to start turning cabins over and they aren't cleaning or pulling out mattresses from cabins that weren't occupied on the prior sailing.

Love it :) I've been cruising for 25 + years too. Took my first cruise with friends for my graduation.

We love Disney. Glad you're going with an open mind ;) ;)

YES!!! My first was that good ol' Nordic Prince to Bermuda - out of NY - it was a college graduation trip!!

I would like a Buffet open all day and night. Not necessarily 24 hours but cabanas closed at 2:00 every day and often we had late breakfast and were not ready for lunch until 2:30-3:00 and Flo's was the only option other than room service. Why not just keep Cabanas open all day and offer it as a buffet for dinner as well. MDRs are a LONG process--sometimes you just want a variety to grab and go.

Great ideas everyone! If you aren't growing-you aren't living! I'm sure his is exactly the kind of free synergy Disney appreciates about it's most loyal followers. Keep the ideas flowing! =]

I would like a Buffet open all day and night. Not necessarily 24 hours but cabanas closed at 2:00 every day and often we had late breakfast and were not ready for lunch until 2:30-3:00 and Flo's was the only option other than room service. Why not just keep Cabanas open all day and offer it as a buffet for dinner as well. MDRs are a LONG process--sometimes you just want a variety to grab and go.

I agree! I was surprised when the buffet closed so early in the afternoon. This was something I don't remember from our last cruise on the magic. I wouldn't need it open late at night, but afternoon would have been nice, especially for a non-morning person who eats a later breakfast with late dining.

Jill in CO

You know my husband is a vet, 26 years in. The problem we had trying to make reservations is there were only a few discounts available for cruises. Only on specific cruises. And a limited number per year. WDW is much better on giving veterans discounts.

dunnhorn said:
Hands down, the worst thing about DCL is the pools.

Need to have another kids pool somewhere, anywhere. Not enough pools for the # of people on the Fantasy/Dream.

#2 would be to add more hot tubs. Specifically, need a hot tub where you can be in the hot tub and overlook the pool to watch your kids.

Agreed!

I really wish the Adult areas - Diversions, etc. - were adults-only all the time, not just after 9pm. The majority of the other areas are devoted to kids/families and I think that is awesome. I love seeing kids on the ship, but it would be nice to have a place to get away from that

The only thing I can honestly think of is like others have said..the pool situation. Way too small and gets way too crowded. Also a few more hot tubs would be awesome =)

I wont use a public pool so I dont care about their pools.

I can even get past the initial price because I have worked it out in my head that this is still a good deal..

I really want to go to Hawaii.
I want to go to Mexico again.

I want to go to Alaska without having to board in Canada ;) (they wont let me in)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter