n00bs to the Fort, seeking advice/confirmation.

redstickredhead

Disnerd Forever
Hi guys!

This is my first post to the Camping board! I did try to do my best to read the stickies and the threads that seemed to fit my inquiries, but sometimes I do better just to ask outright.

Forgive me if any of this is Dept of Redundancy Dept (ha).

The DH and I will be at the Fort from Feb 9-13. We love tent camping, so it shall be us and our trusty Coleman 6 person tent. We have never camped in Feb before. I found last year's list of temps for Feb in Orlando on the Accuweather site, but as that is only a sample of one year, I was wondering if any locals or regular campers for this particular month had anything to add?

Have the doors to the comfort stations switched over to magic bands yet, or are they just regular keys? (want to be prepared with a spare keychain if the latter is the case)

Do ya'll use sand stakes, or the ones that come with the tent? This is our first go with a sand pitch.

We usually check in to WDW resorts between 10a-12p. What is a feasible time for Fort check-in? We are aware of standard check in/out times, but we are early to everything! If our site isn't ready yet, may we park somewhere to explore the grounds?

Sorry if this is a little too question-y, but I wanted to ask the experts!

Thanks in advance :)

The Redhead

I don't have a lot of answers for you, just wanted to say :welcome:to the camping board. When we were at the Fort in 2014, Dec, the temps were not to bad, we have been in Feb, trying to remember the temps so they couldn't have been too bad, maybe a few nights lower 50's in morning. Bama Ed will be here shortly to answer about the comfort stations and MB but they used a card not a key for access. Can't help with the stakes, the 5er don't use them, lol, We've try to check in after 12 but it's usually later when we arrive. Have fun, Feb is a good time to go.

So you can use your MB for the comfort stations. The Comfort Stations are open from like 6AM until 11 pm (I think) and beyond that you need the MB to get into them. You do, however need you MB to access the laundry facilities at the CS at all times. They now take Credit cards to operate the machines now although there is a (single) washer and dryer (a stack which is actually 2 dryers) that still take coins. No "Keys" to get in. It's just the MB (or RFID card if that's what you have)

Soon it seems you will also be required to use your MB to access the pool as well. The fence was well on it's way when we were there in August and looked to be near finished. Mostly just the "Gates" were left to be done. I suspect there is some electrical that also needs to be run to support those scanners at the pool too.

Like rajak73, my TT doesn't use the stakes so I cannot answer. If you are used to pitching the tent in sand, however, I suspect the same will be the case at the Fort. From my previous tent camping (many years ago and not at the fort) the "Sand" area (not really sand though), seems firm enough that regular tent stakes would probably be okay. That is unless you encounter some SEVERE weather. Not sure what February holds in that regard though. For me, February Tent camping would require a snow shovel where I am at. (and I have done that in the past too!)

I believe you cannot check in any earlier then 7 AM. Obviously it's earlier then the normal check-in time, but if your site is ready, they will allow you in to go to the site, otherwise you will have to park/wait until it is. They will give you an "option" to take the first available site for your type of site, so if you are not to picky, you could get in early. One year we weren't fussy, and we were in and set up by 10AM. Last time, we wanted a specific loop and it was ready until almost 5 PM. It just depends

Hope this helps and that you have a wonderful time.

So you can use your MB for the comfort stations. The Comfort Stations are open from like 6AM until 11 pm (I think) and beyond that you need the MB to get into them. You do, however need you MB to access the laundry facilities at the CS at all times. They now take Credit cards to operate the machines now although there is a (single) washer and dryer (a stack which is actually 2 dryers) that still take coins. No "Keys" to get in. It's just the MB (or RFID card if that's what you have)

Soon it seems you will also be required to use your MB to access the pool as well. The fence was well on it's way when we were there in August and looked to be near finished. Mostly just the "Gates" were left to be done. I suspect there is some electrical that also needs to be run to support those scanners at the pool too.

Like rajak73, my TT doesn't use the stakes so I cannot answer. If you are used to pitching the tent in sand, however, I suspect the same will be the case at the Fort. From my previous tent camping (many years ago and not at the fort) the "Sand" area (not really sand though), seems firm enough that regular tent stakes would probably be okay. That is unless you encounter some SEVERE weather. Not sure what February holds in that regard though. For me, February Tent camping would require a snow shovel where I am at. (and I have done that in the past too!)

I believe you cannot check in any earlier then 7 AM. Obviously it's earlier then the normal check-in time, but if your site is ready, they will allow you in to go to the site, otherwise you will have to park/wait until it is. They will give you an "option" to take the first available site for your type of site, so if you are not to picky, you could get in early. One year we weren't fussy, and we were in and set up by 10AM. Last time, we wanted a specific loop and it was ready until almost 5 PM. It just depends

Hope this helps and that you have a wonderful time.

We've always just used the thicker plastic stakes, not sure if they came with the tents or if we had them leftover from our west coast camping years. That's what we always do for the kids who still like to pitch a tent occasionally. In February I would plan on bringing a small heater or even electric blankets. We don't tent camp anymore but we do have a hybrid so we have tent ends and it can get chilly in the winter. Since we will be there at the same time I am hoping for a some nice warm weather. Looks like all the other questions were answered. I am sure you will have a wonderful time.

And welcome from another redhead. :)

The DH and I will be at the Fort from Feb 9-13. We love tent camping, so it shall be us and our trusty Coleman 6 person tent. We have never camped in Feb before. I found last year's list of temps for Feb in Orlando on the Accuweather site, but as that is only a sample of one year, I was wondering if any locals or regular campers for this particular month had anything to add?

Thanks in advance :)

The Redhead

We don't tent camp, but we have been to the Fort twice in the last several years, and both times we were very unlucky with the weather. It can really vary at that time of year, so I would definitely go prepared for just about 'anything'!! It was very cold, windy and rainy the times we were there, which is very much a 'deal breaker' for us trying to tour the parks.

It can also be very nice (I'm told) :) The best of luck to you!!

Most of your questions have been answered, red.

Regular old tent stakes work just fine. The tent pads aren't REALLY sand, they're shell fragment/crush material called coquina. It's only a 1-2" topdressing (if that much) for the hard pack dirt underneath. So regular stakes work just fine.

I understand the need for specialized stakes when one is in a true sand environment but that's not the case at the Fort.

Finally, the Accuweather website has both the entire month of February 2016 in its monthly view as well as historical averages. January and February are those two months where it can be really warm, really cold, or somewhere in between (helpful, ain't it?). Last year the February daily high varied between 58-82F and the daily low varied between 37-66F. The averages are more centrally focused at 72-75F for the high and 48-51F for the low.

Be prepared to add layers, shed layers, or break out the tshirt, shorts, and flip flops. :beach:

Bama Ed

PS - that high of 82F and low of 37F occurred within 8 days of each other this past February so it very easily could have happened during the same stay for some folks.

PPS - and hey, welcome to the DIS Camping Board :disrocks: :welcome: We were all Fort newbies at some point in time. lol.

Last edited:
To be honest, Florida weather prediction is well never great.... It can be 90 one year and 50 and freezing the next year. And normally even if it gets super cold over night, most times it does get sunny and warm during the day. So just keep an eye when it gets closer but I would pack for COLD and HOT. Sadly there is always both :)

I live here in Central Florida and our weather during winter is all over the place. We can never "put" away our summer clothes, so during the winter you may be wearing shorts one day and pants and a jacket the next. I would watch the weather the week before your trip and just plan the best you can. Last winter seemed much warmer than those in the past. We were still swimming in December, so I would not look at last year's temps.

The Fort's normal check in time is 1PM. We have arrived as early as 11am and our site was ready, other times arrived at 1PM and had to wait a couple of hours. Just be prepared to wait, just in case.

I live here in Central Florida and our weather during winter is all over the place. We can never "put" away our summer clothes, so during the winter you may be wearing shorts one day and pants and a jacket the next
I live in NE Pennsylvania and I can almost say the same thing. Last winter especially. (It was unusually mild last winter).

This is another reason why I love camping.... I have space to bring a bigger wardrobe to accommodate the variable weather conditions. If I had to fly and pack for it, I'd have to pay a couple extra hundreds of dollars for luggage. :)

Thank you for all the info and ideas!
We live in Baton Rouge and our weather is fickle in the winter too. We say we don't have winters just a series of cold fronts!

As for arriving early, 11 is about when we'd get there.

I was in WDW in December of 2010 for Christmas --winter months mean layers for me now boy howdy!

Bama Ed---thank y'all for sending us flood supplies and hands to work! I know that the Tide and the Tigers aren't even the best buds on the field but y'all came through when others did NOT!

Bama Ed---thank y'all for sending us flood supplies and hands to work! I know that the Tide and the Tigers aren't even the best buds on the field but y'all came through when others did NOT!

CqtxxWEW8AAsQ5a.jpg:large

red, you're quite welcome. Our parish also worked with a parish in Baton Rouge to send food and supplies which I contributed to.

For those that didn't know, Alabama sent its football truck full of supplies down to Baton Rouge soon after the flooding filled with goods that had been gathered around Tuscaloosa. I believe it made a couple trips. T-town had been the recipient of much care and similar support back in 2011 when the devastating tornadoes came through and wiped out a good portion of my hometown. There's a nice story about it right here:

https://www.seccountry.com/alabama/...pounds-of-supplies-for-louisiana-flood-relief

Bama Ed

It's great to see the football rivalries from the field are just football. We're all in this together and it's great to see all helping out. Hmmm, kinda sounds just like the camping community :littleangel:.

Sorry if this is a little too question-y, but I wanted to ask the experts!
Sorry I can't help much with your questions as we have an RV, But :welcome: to The Fort. We are up in the Chicago area, so anything better than polar works for us at that time of year LOL.
Enjoy your time there, you'll be hooked soon enough:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter