Myths and misconceptions about Youth Activities!

gydell said:
DonaldFan70 - We just returned from the 7 day Eastern cruise and have several comments about the kids club(3-4). We had always been told that if a child was a problem then they would be asked to leave the club. What constitutes a problem? Biting, hitting, pinching? My DGS was bitten( broke the skin) and we were not even told about it and when we mentioned it they said that they had talked to the child's parents several times which to me means that my DGS was not the first to be bitten. We witnessed on several occasions kids hitting and fighting. We met other parents that had also had problems in the club and the lab. And no - we did not leave him in the club very much. Never longer than 2 hours a day and only once were the 2 hours together. The cruise was still a big hit and we have re-booked for next year!

Hi Gydell-

We were on the same cruise and my DS6 told me about the biting child. He said that the kid's parents just told him he couldn't have ice cream that day as punishment. :sad2: I was suprised that he was allowed back in the club. My DS didn't have any issues with other kids, but that one event stuck out in his mind. I do have to say that many of the children and their parents on this cruise were ill behaved. I witnessed alot of puching and hitting on the decks and by the pools. I guess it's just the luck of the draw, on our last cruise the children were impeccably behaved.

My DS is used to hanging around older kids in chorus and acts in theatre around town with older teens. Is is possible with parent's permission to do activities with the older teen group rather than the younger group? Thanks for your thoughts. Lisa

The teen group isn't split up into age groups. There were two times an hour each where the 13-14 yos went to Ocean Quest together & the 15-18 yos did something else at the stack. You DS will be able to hang out with who ever he wants to in the Stack.

Greetings All,

Sorry I have been away for such a long time. It was irresponsible of me to leave without notification. I found that this was the best comment to repsond to. Children that are signed into care and are not behaving appropriately are always a challenge. believe it or not the majority of the time it only requires us to inform the parents once and the issue is resolved. On a ship with a few hundred children in one age group, we do get the child that parental involvement does not sole the challenge.
I remember one child that I delat with personally who bit. He had bit one other child, after infomring the parents of this they then informed us that this is a habit that he has and that it has been a challenge in his daycare! This of course would have been useful info to put down on his form on registration day.
Needless to say after consulting my leaders at the time (the cruise director, we did not have a Manager of Youth Activities at the time) they suggested that we allow the child back into care but that the parents remain on board at the same time in case of any challenges. Needless to say, and against mine and my staffs opinions, this was the route taken. We believed as childcare workers that this was not going to solve a ongoing behavior pattern that existed before boarding. I was thankfull that night that I did not have to pay for my own work clothes as the child had bitten through my shirt and my skin several times. In calling the parents they did not respond as it was then discovered they did not stay on board as requested and actually had gone ashore ten minutes after checking their son in.
The issue was then taken to the cruise director again with the request that the parents to remain with the child whenever he was in care. The parents countered back that they had paid a large amount for this cruise and that it was unexceptable that they have to stay with their son.
I would like to say that this is a isolated incident but unfortunately it is not. The challenge of inappropriate behavior, in it's many forms and from both children and parents, was a ongoing isssue the 5 years that I was there.
I have spent the last year consulting for Norwegian, Royal Carribean, Princess, and other cruise lines on how to provide a effective childrens program. The focus being on ratio and sheer numbers. After working Disney for so long and seeing the amazing things that the characters can do it was truly an eye opener to see the better quality of care that was provided by other cruise lines that adopted a smaller child to counselor ratio, place time restrictions, behavior guide lines based on being appropriate or inappropriate and not on how much money was spent to be there.
While Disney does offer a wonderful product and facilities, the characters being an bonus, the quality of care was not as high as Royal Caribbean or Celebrity for example. I know that I am probably stepping on some toes here and I would like to make it clear that the majority of children on a Disney cruise (and parents) have a "magical" time, and that every cruise line has had it's share of negative and positive experiences by guests. My focus is on the quality of care. With that being said I feel that even with the new changes Disney needs to step it up again.

The one post caught my eye about the looking for Tink activity for the 3-4 year old's. My girls will be 5 and 6 when we cruise. Just turning 5 and 6 mind you a few weeks beforehand. Tink is my youngest's favorite character. Would she be allowed to attend that activity with the 3-4 year olds?

Also, do we register ahead of time for the kids clubs or is it done the day we get there? I'm sure there is limited space and from hearing the way my kids talk I'm going to have to pry them out of there to spend any time with them at all...nice adult time, but still...I don't want to get there and be told there is no room for them.

Thanks

One more question...how do we find out what activities are offered? I looked at the ones posted on the DIS and I'm not seeing half of the activities mentioned on those copies.

Thanks.

DonaldFan, dh and I were fascinated by what you wrote. I'm not sure we ever thought of what would happen if there was a severe discipline problem such as you described. We assumed such a child, who is a danger to the other children as well as the adults in the room, wouldn't be tolerated. We never imagined DCL would put our kids in harms way by cowtowing to a set of nasty parents. I know Disney wants to do everything to make their guests happy but that crosses the line. Very interesting and valuable perspective. Thank you.

Dear Donaldfan 70, :sunny:

You have a very big experience with Youth activities as councelor or Manager DCL.... I Have a question for you....
I am travelling on my first Disney cruise in 2 weeks (7 days Eastern) with my family and my daughter (6 years 1/2) but we are from Belgium and my daughter do not speak english..... I know that there are in the oceaneer Club people from different countries and languages but do you think my girl will find someone to speak french with her ? :goodvibes

Thanks for your help

I feel bad for the counselors dealing with unruly children and their lax parents. I know if my ds5 misbehaves I would want to know right away and he wouldn't be allowed back into the club. Of course I would want to die of embarassment that he did something wrong so I wouldn't show my face. My dh would have something to say to the biters parents so that would be embarassing too, but might benefit some other child if they finally pulled the child from the club.

As for the non-English speaking child, I bet my ds5 would play with her. My son is friends with somebody who didn't speak english when he started kindergarten. Some kids just want to play next to each other and don't need to speak so much.

4iR said:
Dear Donaldfan 70, :sunny:

You have a very big experience with Youth activities as councelor or Manager DCL.... I Have a question for you....
I am travelling on my first Disney cruise in 2 weeks (7 days Eastern) with my family and my daughter (6 years 1/2) but we are from Belgium and my daughter do not speak english..... I know that there are in the oceaneer Club people from different countries and languages but do you think my girl will find someone to speak french with her ? :goodvibes

Thanks for your help

Just a suggestion:
Have you checked out the cruise meets board? You would be able to see who is sailing with you and whether anyone speaks french. As mattmommy said - I bet your DD will get along great either way - but you might try he meets board as well. Bon chance! :teeth:

I would also like to know about if the kids clubs get full up. My DD will be 4 on Oct when we go on the 4 night Wonder. we only booked the cruise cos she saw it on the TV and said I want to do that. It was kids dancing with Snow White ,and then other kids in the Mickey Pool.We think its a great idea, out of a 21 night holiday to have some adult time,and she is in day care 5 mornings a week, so is cool being left for 2 -3 hours at a time.

Im concern as we spent about £2000 on a holiday for a week in Spain, cos it had a fab kids club reputation. THEN when we get there, we could only get her in for 3 out of the 7 nights ( 2 hours max) NOT HAPPY (us or her) they said we needed to book on first day we arrived, we did but as we were there only 7 nights, people the previous week had taken almost all of the spaces.

Any advice please?

Lindy Loo - you can book for the Kids Clubs on line prior to your cruise (75 days I think if this is your first cruise).

I think repeatcruiser is referring to Flounder's Reef nursery - where you do have to reserve a spot. To my knowledge, each child on the cruise is guaranteed a spot in the Club or Lab. I have not heard of anyone being turned away. It is also my understanding that they can stay in there as long as they like. There has definately been reports of kids staying in the Club from morning to night - they enjoyed themselves that much.

If this is incorrect, I am sure others will post a correction.

DutchsMommy said:
I think repeatcruiser is referring to Flounder's Reef nursery - where you do have to reserve a spot. To my knowledge, each child on the cruise is guaranteed a spot in the Club or Lab. I have not heard of anyone being turned away. It is also my understanding that they can stay in there as long as they like. There has definately been reports of kids staying in the Club from morning to night - they enjoyed themselves that much.

If this is incorrect, I am sure others will post a correction.

You can register you children online before the cruise, but you still have to pickup your pager the first time you drop them off. If you have a child that will be in flounders you can signup for times online as well, not sure what the limit it is on how many hours you can register for.

I have heard of one time that someone could not drop off their child. There were some really bizarre circumstances in that case - if I remember correctly some staff members were sick and many kids being dropped off. They were told to stop back in an hour & were able to drop them off then.

kelscross said:
One more question...how do we find out what activities are offered? I looked at the ones posted on the DIS and I'm not seeing half of the activities mentioned on those copies.

Thanks.

Which cruise are you going on? I'm a little confused by your post. Are you not seeing all of the activities in the kid's navigators discussed on the boards? If so, that may just be because the main favorites are the ones kids talk about? They do so much during the day I'm sure that the young kids just can't remember it all. :) Is there something inparticular you are interested in finding out more about?

kelscross said:

Thanks.

I think you're referring to the DCL web site, which has listings of activities. We found these to be confusing to navigate, and i'm not sure that everything is listed there (or at least is not easy to find). Look at the kid's Navigators from a recent cruise (I would guess they are posted somewhere on this site) to get a better idea of the activities.

Also to clarify, you can register your kid of any age on line prior to departure. You will need to get a pager and an arm band once you board, but the registration can be done in advance.

Thanks for the clarification regarding registering kiddos for the Club and Lab. I was not aware these were included in the online registration process. :thumbsup2

I have two older DD 11, and 8 they are very close and the younger one always does the same these as her sister, will they be able to go under the same age group activities

angela barklow said:
I have two older DD 11, and 8 they are very close and the younger one always does the same these as her sister, will they be able to go under the same age group activities

That shouldn't be a problem. You will need to talk to the manager of the lab when you board to have your 8 yo switched to the 10-12 yo group.

lbgraves...Thanks for the response. What I was referring to was there were some scanned copies of a navigator posted on the home page of this website and when I looked at those I didn't see many of the activities that have been mentioned here. Maybe it's a difference in the ships. We sail on Sept 30th! :banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter