Mystic CT Casual Family Dining - Budget Friendly??

5forDiz

DIS Veteran
Hi :)

Hoping some here who are from area or have travelled to Mystic CT can

help us out with some suggestions for good, casual places to eat

( seafood, family favorites, etc. ). We're a large group of parents & kids

heading there for dance competition and any and all recommendations

are welcome !

Many thanks for your help :goodvibes

Here are a few options

Somewhere in Time for breakfast

Five Guys Burgers & Fries - across the street from Mystic Aquarium - it's not very big so not good for your whole group at once.

Ten Clams - in the Olde Mystic Village - everything costs $10 or less - fried seafood and clam shack type options

The Cove - clam shack off of Rte. 1 on the way to Stonington - outdoor seating only

Mystic Pizza is the perennial tourist favorite but locals don't go there - there are much better options. Just up the road is Angie's Pizza - much better (and cheaper)
http://www.angiespizzapier27.com/

in Groton, probably 10 minutes away from Mystic
Paul's Pasta - huge portions and really good food

Athough they have great burgers, beware that 5 Guys cooks their fries in peanut oil and has peanuts out for customers to eat while they wait!

Across the street from Mystic Village is a Friendly's and New Equinox Restaurant On-Site at Ho-Jo's.

I knew candaceg had to be a local when she mentioned Paul's Pasta ;)
I grew up in Mystic/Stonington and yes... Paul's Pasta in Groton is amazing. The view outside is pretty, too. Small restaurant, though, so if you are a large group it might be tricky to sit together.

And I agree about Mystic Pizza vs. Angie's. Angie's has much better food.

The Cove is pretty decent and they often have gift certificates on restaurant.com

In downtown Mystic there is also Margarita's (Mexican food), which is a fun place. I've seen them accommodate large parties before.

There's also Friendly's in Mystic.. but I know you've seen one of those, you've seen them all, right?

Thanks so much Candaceg & Semo233 for the suggestions :thumbsup2
And thanks so much for the heads up too on peanut oil - my neice is

competeing too and is highly allergic so think we'll skip 5Guys.

Our hotels are in Waterford & New London and competition is in Groton.

We have extended times between performing and would most likely stay

closer to Groton - Mystic area to do our dining rather than travel back in

direction of hotels seeing that we'd need to come back to Groton again

later on.

:goodvibes

go to Mohegan Sun- there is a food court in the lower level and it was very inexpensive and had huge serving sizes! Kids were fine there

go to Mohegan Sun- there is a food court in the lower level and it was very inexpensive and had huge serving sizes! Kids were fine there

That was closed & turned into a slot area.
It's also very smoky there, so might not be a good choice with the kids.
I love the breakfast buffet there (Seasons) but I just can't bring myself to take the kids through the cloud of smoke to get to it, although the rest. itself is smoke-free.

Thanks Emh1129 and Simonsmom too :)

Knew I'd get good advice here on the DIS ::yes::

DH and I went there for a weekend for our anniversary. The first night we went to Friendly's because it was right there and then we crossed the road to the Steak Loft.

Honestly, we had better steak at Friendly's for half the price.

I am planning a day trip to Mystic next Monday. Abbotts sounds wonderful, I will have to try it out. I was thrilled to see Steak Loft is still around also!

Semi-Hi jack...We will be heading to mystic at the end of July. We redeemed My Coke Rewards for passes to the Aquarium and the Seaport. We will also be going to the Dinosaur Place, courtesy of MCR. We were wondering about nice cheap places to stay for a mid week getaway. Also wanted to know about a nice beach nearby.

It will be myself, wife twin girls 3.5 and son 9months

Thanks

We live in RI and are members at the Mystic Aquarium.
We generally have lunch at the Ground Round- very family friendly and reasonable.
Steak Loft is yum but pricier.
There is a Friendly's and McDonalds!
Have Fun!

Semi-Hi jack...We will be heading to mystic at the end of July. We redeemed My Coke Rewards for passes to the Aquarium and the Seaport. We will also be going to the Dinosaur Place, courtesy of MCR. We were wondering about nice cheap places to stay for a mid week getaway. Also wanted to know about a nice beach nearby.

Thanks

If you're looking for cheap, then I wouldn't stay in Mystic. They command top prices from about Jun- end of October.
I'd recommend staying in Groton (2 exits up on I-95). There is a Hampton Inn (with indoor pool- right by I-95, easy to find on the main strip there), Quality Inn (also with an indoor pool, but I don't know much else about it), Best Western Olympic Inn.
There is also a Super 8, but it's pretty run down- wouldn't recommend that.

Hi-
Just wanted to add that right now restaurant.com has a discount code out: NAPKIN
This will give you 80% off.

There are some nice Mystic restaurants on there right now: The Pizza Grille, Seamen's Inne, Captain Daniel Packer Inn, Cove, Mystic Soup

A budget-friendly way to eat at some nice local places.

Thanks

We were recommended to Marriott Springhill Suites Waterford-Mystic - - iirc Exit 82 off I95 .... friend who stayed here travels often & is particular about all things we are ie upkeep, quality, cleanliness. It's in perhaps a little bit of odd spot behind New London Mall property & some kind of couple floors high bank/office building but convenient to Shoprite, Subway, Chili's, Outback Steakhouse some other stores/places to dine too but I don't remember all, guess you can google New London Mall for more details on that property. Has 2 queen beds and slightly partioned living room area with pullout sofa & micro/fridge/sink/coffeemake/counter area and daily breakfast buffet included too ( like Hampton Inns offers). Depending upon when you are travelling you may get a good rate - ours is $109 per night via Marriott's website.

Hi-
Just wanted to add that right now restaurant.com has a discount code out: NAPKIN
This will give you 80% off.

There are some nice Mystic restaurants on there right now: The Pizza Grille, Seamen's Inne, Captain Daniel Packer Inn, Cove, Mystic Soup

A budget-friendly way to eat at some nice local places.

Thanks ! restaurant dot com can really be a $ saver !

:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter