Mystery Reader Suggestions for 1st graders

I would love to see that too.:lmao:

You actually know my DH, could you EVER see him doing that!??????!!!!!

I will tell him you suggested that;)

I know...I actually made myself laugh. He's a good sport, but a little too conservative to live in a pineapple under the sea!

Another vote for Skippyjon Jones! I taught first grade last year (this year I teach second) and all of my kids have loved Skippyjon Jones. This year they even named the class fish after him!

I know...I actually made myself laugh. He's a good sport, but a little too conservative to live in a pineapple under the sea!

He told me to tell you he is not that conservative:lmao: and he would totally be Patrick, duh!!!!!!

Leonardo the Terrible Monster by Mo Willems was always a big hit with my first graders.

Margie Palatini writes lots of great funny books as well. Bad Boys, Sweet Tooth, and Piggie Pie were always books we would reread.

I teach first grade and highly recommend anything by Robert Munsch :goodvibes He is the author of Love You Forever which is more of a read to your own child kind of book. He writes funny, silly books that are usually repetitive in nature so the kids join in after the first few pages! I would suggest Moira's Birthday, about a little girl who wants to invite "grade 1, grade 2, grade 3, grade 4, grade 5, grade 6 a-a-a-a-a-a-a-and kindergarten" to her birthday party even though her parents say no! Also hilarious is Mortimer, about a little boy who drives his family crazy when he won't stop singing "clang, clang, rattle bing bang, gonna make noise all day." The children love singing the song :rotfl: Stephanie's Ponytail is about a little girl who wears a ponytail to school only to be told by everyone that it is "ugly, ugly, very ugly" to which she replies, "It's my ponytail and I like it!" Then the next day the children copy her look and that continues through different ways of wearing a ponytail including one in front of her face resulting in some of the girls walking into the boy's bathroom :rotfl2: In the end, she teaches them a lesson not to copy because she tells them the next day she will be bald!! So the next day everyone, including the teacher, comes to school bald except Stephanie :laughing: Your husband is super to do this and let him know that it will mean the world to your daughter :love:

Stephanie's Pontail is a great book. I subbed as a librarian one week and must have read it to about 10 classes :lmao: It got better each time. My favorites are:
  • Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs,
  • Where the Wild Things Are,
  • any of the Kevin Henkes series (ie: Lilies Purple Palstic Purse)
  • the Franklin series
  • Arthur
    books (Marc Brown)

If you want alternate versions of fairytales then try:
  • The True Story of the Big Bad Wolf by Jon Scieszka
  • Golilocks Returns by Lisa Campbell Ernst
  • Bigfoot
    Cinderrrrrella by Tony Johnston and James Warhola

I read in DD's first grade class last year, Skippy Jon is excellent, especially if you can do the accent. They have books on tape so you can learn the rhythm of the books if they are unfamiliar to you.

I also read Henry Babysits - the entire class was laughing at how into it I got. Any of those books are really good and age appropriate.

You might also check and see if the teacher is reading a chapter book and DH can read a chapter or two to them. DDs teacher read Junie B Jones and Magic Tree House to the class, and appreicated when I offered to sit in for her a couple times.

My 2nd grade DD's class does Mystery Readers and the one that sticks with the kids and my DD is still talking about is: How Full Is Your Bucket? For Kids.
It's a story about "filling up" people's "buckets", or how to be nice, kind and complimentary to others to make them feel good and positive.
I Googled the book and it is incorporated into a lot of school curriculums. One suggested activity to to have some type of "mini" bucket, homemade or bought to give to the kids to write a compliment on a piece of paper for each other and fill their "buckets" up.

I am Mystery Reader for DD's 2nd grade class next week too, so I'm searching too!
I might do Frederick by Leo Lionni, about a mouse who's family is storing up for the winter and Frederick does not appear to be doing anything to help. But actually, when the food is gone and the winter is cold and gray, Frederick brings out his "stores" such as warm colors, words, and positive thoughts to "warm" and "comfort" his family.

DH just left to read. I am so nervous:lmao:

I talked with the teacher's aide and she said this year about only half of the parents dressed up, so DH choose the nondressing up half. Unless you count that he is dressed in a suit.:)

He choose Diary of a Worm by Doreen Cronin(she wrote Click Clack Moo and Giggle Giggle Quack) We filled party bags with gummi worms for him to give out for the kids to eat if there is time or to take home.

DH just left to read. I am so nervous:lmao:

I talked with the teacher's aide and she said this year about only half of the parents dressed up, so DH choose the nondressing up half. Unless you count that he is dressed in a suit.:)

He choose Diary of a Worm by Doreen Cronin(she wrote Click Clack Moo and Giggle Giggle Quack) We filled party bags with gummi worms for him to give out for the kids to eat if there is time or to take home.

Cute book and the gummy worms are a great idea!~ I'm sure the kids will love it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter