Myrtle Beach

Mamakop

Mouseketeer
It sure if this is the right place to post this or not.

But we are wanting to go to Myrtle Beach and was wondering what hotels are good. Any places to eat or fun things to do or what to avoid? We've never been. Thanks

It's me, DH and our 2 DDs. 5 and 1
:-)

We usually stay in a condo in the north part of Myrtle, off of Lake Arrowhead Drive, near Barefoot Landing.

There are hotels in the main drag area that have water areas and lazy rivers that kids your age will probably like. I think the Marriott is one that my cousin stayed at with those types of features.

I'd suggest looking at Trip Advisor for hotel reviews. I usually scroll through the guest photos and read the captions. From there, I read the really bad ones to see how bad it really is compared to my own set of standards.

We also stay in North Myrtle in the Windy Hill Section at a place called Beach Cove. We love it there and go several times a year. They have 1, 2 or 3 bedroom condos. It is directly across from Barefoot Landing which has a lot of cool shops, restaurants and theater shows. This resorts has 5 or 6 six pools including a fun kiddie pool with a fountain and a lazy river.

Lots of fun things to do with kids. We like Alligator Adventure right there in Bare Boot Landing, The Pirate's Voyage, a really fun dinner theater and everything at Broadway by the beach about 1/2 south of this resort. They have a Wonder Works (we have not done this), a Magi Quest (DS6 LOVES it), miniature golf etc.

We cook a lot at the condo, but there is every chain place as well as lots of local seafood places. There is a House of Blues, Johnny Rockets, Hard Rock cafe etc.

I LOVE Myrtle Beach. My boyfriend and I have gone the last two years for New Year's. North Myrtle tends to be a bit quieter. When you get into the heart of Myrtle Beach (Ocean Blvd area), there is a TON of stuff to do.

As PP mentioned, Broadway at the Beach is a must. It's sort of similar to DTD. It's one main complex that circles a lake. One side is comprised of a variety of different shops. Then there's an entire section of restaurants, and another part has all the "attractions"...MagiQuest, a mini golf course, WonderWorks, and the Ripley's Aquarium.

On the Grand Strand, you'll find the Ripley's Believe it or Not Museum, some haunted attractions, more shops (check out the Gay Dolphin Gift Cove...it's like a 5 floor gift shop), arcades, and more. There's also a small amusement park called Family Kingdom. Plus, you know, the actual beach itself. Oh, and another fun thing is the SkyWheel...it's an enclosed glass Ferris Wheel. I think it's $13 for a ticket, but you get 3-4 revolutions. If you catch it just right at sunset, it's absolutely beautiful.
ETA: Forgot to mention Medieval Times. It's a dinner show with knights and a royal family. A bit on the $$ side, but it's good corny fun (or at least, corny for anyone over 10)

Go to visitmyrtlebeach.com. It's the official tourism website for Myrtle Beach, and it lists a lot of the attractions, and you can even print off a coupon book. This book includes a lot of coupons for restaurants, but it also has some that offer a dollar or so off the main attractions.

Hope this helped!

We usually stay at the Long Bay resort. Two or three bedroom condos with a full kitchen really helps save money. Plus it's right on the beach and has a great lazy river.

We go several times a year. We usually stay at Springsmaid Resort and have been happy. This year we are trying something more mid strip, a 2 bedroom condo with kitchen at The Dayton House. Like others, Broadway at the Beach is a must! We hang out at the beach all day, then BATB every night. We shop, go the movies, mini golf, zip line and have dinner there. It's like Downtown Disney!

We like Kingston Plantation. It is a gated community in a quieter section of Myrtle Beach. It has a Hilton, Embassy Suites, and town homes and condos.

Sorry, don't want to seem like spam, but I forgot to mention :-)

The past couple of times we've stayed at the Landmark. Prices aren't bad, and it's beachfront. However, the first time we loved our room, the second time, it seemed really bare, and we could hear EVERYTHING next door. However, I've stayed at the Breakers as well, and really enjoyed it. It's the same price as almost every other beach front hotel, but you can get a small kitchen in some of the rooms.

MSSANDRA said:
We also stay in North Myrtle in the Windy Hill Section at a place called Beach Cove. We love it there and go several times a year. They have 1, 2 or 3 bedroom condos. It is directly across from Barefoot Landing which has a lot of cool shops, restaurants and theater shows. This resorts has 5 or 6 six pools including a fun kiddie pool with a fountain and a lazy river.

Lots of fun things to do with kids. We like Alligator Adventure right there in Bare Boot Landing, The Pirate's Voyage, a really fun dinner theater and everything at Broadway by the beach about 1/2 south of this resort. They have a Wonder Works (we have not done this), a Magi Quest (DS6 LOVES it), miniature golf etc.

We cook a lot at the condo, but there is every chain place as well as lots of local seafood places. There is a House of Blues, Johnny Rockets, Hard Rock cafe etc.

Thanks for the suggestions. We will definitely be eating out. Lol neither of us cook on vacation. :-)

SoccerDogWithEars said:
I LOVE Myrtle Beach. My boyfriend and I have gone the last two years for New Year's. North Myrtle tends to be a bit quieter. When you get into the heart of Myrtle Beach (Ocean Blvd area), there is a TON of stuff to do.

As PP mentioned, Broadway at the Beach is a must. It's sort of similar to DTD. It's one main complex that circles a lake. One side is comprised of a variety of different shops. Then there's an entire section of restaurants, and another part has all the "attractions"...MagiQuest, a mini golf course, WonderWorks, and the Ripley's Aquarium.

On the Grand Strand, you'll find the Ripley's Believe it or Not Museum, some haunted attractions, more shops (check out the Gay Dolphin Gift Cove...it's like a 5 floor gift shop), arcades, and more. There's also a small amusement park called Family Kingdom. Plus, you know, the actual beach itself. Oh, and another fun thing is the SkyWheel...it's an enclosed glass Ferris Wheel. I think it's $13 for a ticket, but you get 3-4 revolutions. If you catch it just right at sunset, it's absolutely beautiful.
ETA: Forgot to mention Medieval Times. It's a dinner show with knights and a royal family. A bit on the $$ side, but it's good corny fun (or at least, corny for anyone over 10)

Go to visitmyrtlebeach.com. It's the official tourism website for Myrtle Beach, and it lists a lot of the attractions, and you can even print off a coupon book. This book includes a lot of coupons for restaurants, but it also has some that offer a dollar or so off the main attractions.

Hope this helped!

Thank you!! I've wrote down all of your suggestions. Will definitely check out the broadway on the beach and the aquarium and look into the others :-)

cristen72 said:
We usually stay at the Long Bay resort. Two or three bedroom condos with a full kitchen really helps save money. Plus it's right on the beach and has a great lazy river.

Thanks for the reply! I think we will look into the condos and hotels. We never use the kitchens. Lol

Priorityonecb said:
We go several times a year. We usually stay at Springsmaid Resort and have been happy. This year we are trying something more mid strip, a 2 bedroom condo with kitchen at The Dayton House. Like others, Broadway at the Beach is a must! We hang out at the beach all day, then BATB every night. We shop, go the movies, mini golf, zip line and have dinner there. It's like Downtown Disney!

Thanks! Im definitely looking into the broadway on the beach :-) can't wait!!

J.C.&ALI'SMOM said:
We like Kingston Plantation. It is a gated community in a quieter section of Myrtle Beach. It has a Hilton, Embassy Suites, and town homes and condos.

Hmm... I think we will look into this. Thanks :-)

SoccerDogWithEars said:
Sorry, don't want to seem like spam, but I forgot to mention :-)

The past couple of times we've stayed at the Landmark. Prices aren't bad, and it's beachfront. However, the first time we loved our room, the second time, it seemed really bare, and we could hear EVERYTHING next door. However, I've stayed at the Breakers as well, and really enjoyed it. It's the same price as almost every other beach front hotel, but you can get a small kitchen in some of the rooms.

No, I definitely LOVE your suggestions :-) thanks!!

Yea I think we are wanting to do beachfront hotel or condo....

We ate at a place called the Giant Crab. It's a huge buffet with good food. I second Medieval Times. Its dinner and entertainment all in one. We as also did the outlets one day. I know you can go to outlets anywhere but if you like to shop (like me) it's good.

Too much to list to do in Myrtle Beach. The Grand Atlantic is on the south end of town and my family has stayed there the last two years at Christmas. You will be able to make your own vacation depending on money and interests. There is a private zoo not too far away, Brookgreen Gardens for sculture, gardens, and a petting zoo, Myrtle Beach Safari for a ride through the area that introduces you to the legends and history of the area, beach, amusement parks, a wonderful beach. There is enough to do something everyday for a year and not run out of different things to try.

I don't have a suggestion on a hotel, but wanted to add to the things to do. We just got back from Myrtle Beach with my 15 month old son, and here are the things we did:

Waccatee Zoo - It was a little small, but we enjoyed it.
Ripley's Aquarium - We loved the walk through tunnel under the tanks. So cool to see the sharks swimming right over your head.
Children's Museum of SC - This was probably THE BEST part of the trip for us. We spent about 3 hours here, and honestly could have spent more time.
The Market Common - We just went to the playground here, but there are a lot of shops and kind of reminded me of Celebration in FL.

We also went to Broadway at the Beach which is a must. Unfortunately we had Barefoot Landing on our list, but the weather was pretty rainy while we were there so we didn't go.

We also had Brookgreen Garden's on our list, and have heard great things about it, but again the weather just wasn't cooperating :goodvibes

Hope that helps a little!

Dunes Village is very nice and family friendly.They offer many different types of rooms. There is a gated parking deck. The hotel has a nice breakfast buffet, two pools, indoor waterslides, play areas and lazy rivers indoor/outdoor. You can access the beach from the pool area. There is also a poolside bar and ice cream truck.

We also love Myrtle Beach, we are stationed in NC about 2 hrs away so we make day trips regularly.. I've only stayed at the Sheraton down there (DH is a Marine and his unit has their Birthday Ball in Myrtle Beach every other year) and that was without kids but the area is very family friendly.

We love the alligator park in barefoot landing (we also eat at the House of Blues when visiting there) and Magiquest @ Broadway at the Beach is a must do with the kids (check online for discounted tickets, we just pay for the kids and chaperone, I think it's only $5 for DH and I to do that, the kids have their own wands and we help them). The Ripley's aquarium is also just a short walk from Magiquest so we usually visit there. DH doesn't love the aquarium (we have a membership to the NC aquariums and visit once a month so I'm sure he is just "bored" of aquariums :lmao:) but it's great to do at least once, the kids LOVE it, especially walking through the shark tank! Broadway at the Beach has some great little shops and their fudge shop is awesome, I always load up when we go lol.

It's also fun to have dinner @ Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville, we didn't have our kids last time we went but there were other families there and their kids were dancing to the band on stage. :)

We tend to fill our day with barefoot landing and Broadway at the Beach but there are plenty of other things to do, love it there! You guys will have a great time! We are going tomorrow for the day as the kids have been begging to do something before Disney (because in their eyes: another month for vacation is ssssooooo far away!!! haha)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter