Myrtle Beach, SC ???'s

jrnunzio3

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone,
I tried to post this previously, but can't find the post. Anyway, let me give you some background. I was supposed to go on vacation to Charlotte, NC in 2 weeks for the Nascar race. My husband needs to have surgery and is scheduled to have it the week we were supposed to leave. The doctor does not suggest that he postpone the surgery or that he travel of a few weeks after the surgery, so we will need to cancel our vacation. We will now have a $650.00 credit with American Airlines. To make the most of our money, we have decided to fly into Raleigh/Durham and drive to Myrtle Beach. I can't believe how much airfare has gone up since we purchased our tickets, I am sure it has to do with gas prices.

I would like to stay in a NICE/CLEAN hotel on the beach. Can anyone suggest a hotel? I would also like to stay in the happening section of town (but I don't know where that is and which hotels are close to it):confused3 I would like a hotel that would live up to the Disney standards that I am used to. Any help or information that anyone can give me will be appreciated. I would like to try to re-book our vacation this weekend if possible.

Thanking you in advance,
Jenny

I personally like North Myrtle Beach. They have an outdoor shopping area called Barefoot Landing which is unique shops and is loads of fun. As far as hotels are concerned, condos are your better choice for the most part. Search condo rentals on google. They will let you know if they have an indoor or outdoor pool or other perks.

The heart of Myrtle Beach is busier and more congested. I have heard of a nice resort called the Sand Dunes. Google that....one of their resorts has a swim up pool bar. The new hard rock amusement park recently opened in Myrtle also.

Have fun, we are going this summer. The one thing I can say is that I personally have not stayed at a condo/resort even close to Disney expectations, but you will enjoy it.

We just came back from MB on Wednesday and we always stay at Dayton House. They've remodeled the rooms in the last couple of years and they have a great outdoor endless pool, several hot tubs, a sauna, a couple of indoor pools and a lazy river.

BUT they are super picky. Like if there are teenagers rough housing in the pool they make them be quiet or leave. I am 33 and I brought down the average age BIG TIME lol It is a non smoking, non motor cycle property (bike week is going on now).

The grounds are nice and clean and it is just a good quiet family place to go. It is in the northern part of Myrtle Beach (but not North Myrtle Beach, different city) in the 24/25th block. The rooms also have kitchens if you don't want to go out to eat every night.

I also forgot to add, it is just a few blocks away from Broadway at the beach (and a strip center with Target, TJ Maxx, Ross) and 8-10 miles from Barefoot Landing and one of the Tanger Outlets. We normally drive up there a couple times a trip to eat on restaurant row and wander around.

My Dayton House room was cleaner than my POP room if that helps any.

We have stayed at several hotels there, but really like Grand Atlantic.
Another vote for the Grand Atlantic. It's far from downtown Myrtle, which is not family-oriented. It's not luxurious, but it's clean and spacious, and it's right on the ocean. Great pools, one inside a covered/lighted area so you could swim even in the rain or after dark. The main pool and the lazy river were heated, which will be good for May; the ocean will still be a little chilly for my taste in May. Our kitchen was not well-stocked, so I'd plan to cook things like frozen lasagna that need few kitchen tools. Prices are reasonable.

I've read that there is a brand new Marriott resort hotel and it looks beautiful. I'm sure it's very pricey, not sure what budget you want for accomodations, but check it out if it is something you may be interested in!
Have a wonderful time! We love Myrtle Beach! :)

I've read that there is a brand new Marriott resort hotel and it looks beautiful. I'm sure it's very pricey, not sure what budget you want for accomodations, but check it out if it is something you may be interested in!
Have a wonderful time! We love Myrtle Beach! :)
I've stayed there too. It's called the Marriott Grand Dunes, and it is VERY PRICEY! The rooms are tiny-small, but it's right on the ocean. The pool is the big draw here; actually, it's two large pools -- very, very nice -- plus a water slide and a couple hot tubs. Of course, the pool is also crowded and food is EXPENSIVE. There's a Marriott timeshare condo resort attached to it, but I haven't been there.

However, we saw evidence that no matter how nice the hotel, it's still Myrtle Beach -- the Redneck Riviera: When we came back from dinner, someone's underwear was on our 7th floor balcony! And in the evening the pool was full of loud drunks running around in their bathrobes.

Honestly, considering the prices, I'd rather stay at the Grand Atlantic. More space, a kitchen and a washer/dryer. The two beaches are equal. The only real plus for the Marriott is the pool. You can walk to more from the Grand Atlantic, though you cannot walk to nice restaurants from either place. We saw more couples and young groups at the Marriott; more families at the Atlantic.

I haven't been to Myrtle Beach that many times lately -- it's just that y'all happened to hit upon two places I've stayed in the last couple years!

Just for the record, I've also stayed at the Marriott Courtyard over by Broadway at the Beach -- I would not return there. We had to beg for towels, and whole staff seemed to be hanging around the pool smoking.

However, we saw evidence that no matter how nice the hotel, it's still Myrtle Beach -- the Redneck Riviera

:lmao:

I am glad to see someone else feels this way. In 2006 we went three times and had a pretty good time. In 2007 I switched to cruising (got some FANTASTIC deals!) and now I can't make myself enjoy MB anymore. I am mostly upset that they don't keep up the beach, last week I was constantly picking up glass in the sand.

MrsPete, Thanks so much for the feedback on this resort!
My DH travels often and racks up Marriott points but it seems like the point values for redeeming rooms just keeps going up and up so we have to be very choosy about where and how we redeem them.
We were looking at this resort but after your review, we would probably choose to save them to go elsewhere a little more quiet, which we know MB isn't always!
It does sound really nice though! But agreed that it would prob. be $ better spent elsewhere. Thanks!

:lmao:

I am glad to see someone else feels this way. In 2006 we went three times and had a pretty good time. In 2007 I switched to cruising (got some FANTASTIC deals!) and now I can't make myself enjoy MB anymore. I am mostly upset that they don't keep up the beach, last week I was constantly picking up glass in the sand.
We're just a couple hours away, so it's a weekend type place for us . . . but it isn't the place I'd choose for a long awaited special vacation!

MrsPete, Thanks so much for the feedback on this resort!
My DH travels often and racks up Marriott points but it seems like the point values for redeeming rooms just keeps going up and up so we have to be very choosy about where and how we redeem them.
We were looking at this resort but after your review, we would probably choose to save them to go elsewhere a little more quiet, which we know MB isn't always!
It does sound really nice though! But agreed that it would prob. be $ better spent elsewhere. Thanks!
Grand Dunes really is a nice place, but you could probably have two nights there OR a week at the Grand Atlantic. To put them into Disney terms, Grand Dunes is like staying at the Grand Floridian (with the price tag to match), and . . . well, I can't think of a Disney hotel that'd be comprable to Grand Atlantic. It's in the same league as Residence Inn with the pool from a Disney moderate hotel.

Thank you to everyone who replied. Can anyone tell me what hotels are in the more calm/relaxed area of Myrtle Beach? Would that area be the Broadway section? After reading some of the reviews, I think we will be much better off staying in a more peaceful section as my husband will still be only about 4 weeks post surgery. We don't mind having to drive a little to get to some restaurants. Can anyone recommend some good restaurants there? We are not really seafood people. I am just trying to get a feel for Myrtle Beach. I absolutely love the "Redneck Riviera" comment.
Jenny

I think the quieter areas are ones that have fewer mom and pop type places. They have rooms for $25 that appeal to college students so that will give you a louder crowd.

I'd personally look for anything north of Camelot, it is 2000 N Ocean Blvd (20th Ave). The big hotels are on the ocean and across the street there is a lot of parking.

Broadway is inland, maybe half a mile. You turn on 25th Ave N and you'll see it on your right. It is a bunch of specialty type shops.

If you like salmon and shrimp but nothing too crazy, you can go to New China. The northern location on restaurant row has a coupon in the Monster Coupon book. I think their non fried food (like dumplings, any of the stir fry and the soups) is good. They also have a lot of fruit, last week they had fantastic fresh pineapple :)

JR -

Hi! I'm a reporter with The Sun News, the Myrtle Beach newspaper. People keep telling me how airfares at other, nearby airports are so much cheaper than at Myrtle Beach, and that Myrtle Beach's airfare has risen significantly lately. I'm trying to find several people to talk to about this, and your story sounded really interesting. Could you give me a call on Monday or Tuesday about your trip?

My number is 843-626-0317.

If anyone else on the thread has had a similar experience, please feel free to call me, too.

Hope to hear from you soon. Thanks!

Lisa
tourism industry reporter
The Sun News

As a SC native, I suggest looking at the Litchfield Beach/Pawley's Island area. It's about 20 - 25 minutes south of Myrtle, but it has very nice resorts and good restaurants. It's quieter, more family oriented (no teens cruising around or piling into one hotel room).

I'm willing to make the drive into Myrtle to see the very few things there that I want to experience (Broadway at the Beach, outlets, a few restaurants).

We stay at Litchfield Beach and Golf resort almost every year. Nice pools, lots of condos, but they built the Seaside Inn on property two or three years ago.

We are going over Memorial Day and staying again at the Marriott Grande Dunes - quiet and beautiful and relaxing- but it's also compliments of many points.
We have also stayed at the Embassy Suites - but that will attract a lot more families as it has a nice little waterpark on property for the smaller kids

We've stayed at Patricia Grand, Beach Cove (ants), Ocean Creek, Hampton Inn, Sands Beach Club has an ocean bar with live music...stayed there twice, second time came back to the room to find the door jimmied, and Kingston Plantation twice. DH goes with HS buddies golfing and they stay at the Caravalle, he doesn't recommend it. I'd stay at Kingston Plantation that is where Embassay Suites is located, by far the nicest and safest resort we've stayed at. They have numerous types of rooms some on the ocean as well as others.
I have to give you a restaurant suggestion , it's North of Barefoot Landing...Benny Rappas....best Italian food, reasonable prices. Owner is originally from NJ, it looks like a hole in the wall but it's clean, friendly and has fantastic food.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter