• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Mykonos

glassslipper2004

DIS Veteran
We're stopping at Mykonos on a cruise this summer and I was wondering if people had any suggestions for a do it yourself day. We enjoy exploring little towns, but our teens are also interested in checking out a beach. Is it possible to do both? With public transportation or just walking? All recommendations/suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

We are planning on doing both

http://www.tomsportguides.com/Mykonos-08-01-2011.pdf

There are a couple of family friendly beaches to the North of the cruise ship terminal but they supposedly get too crowded.

We are planning on going to Agios Ionnis(sp?) beach which is family friendly and has a couple of nice little bar/restaraunts. I believe there are three bus loops in town and the beaches are reached by the farthest one. On Tom's map it is beside numbers 7/8.

We will then go back to town and check it out and the windmills.

Our plan is also to hit the beach in the morning for a few hours. Our Greek friends have told us it will be plenty of time at the beach as it will get very hot! Then we'll take DS back to the ship and check him in to the club while DH and I venture back in to town to take pictures, shop and see the windmills.

If you are going to use public transportation check out its reliability. We were in Mykonos and santorini several years ago and used the bus to get us to our desired destination. Then we waited and waited to be picked up and never were. Finally a taxi dropped someone else off and we were able to catch a ride back to the port. We tendered at Mykonos so getting back and forth wasn't particularly easy.

Definitely do not rely on the published bus schedules. We found them significantly less than reliable or accurate on many of the islands. They could run hours off of the listed times so have cash for a taxi or a secured way back to ship

Definitely do not rely on the published bus schedules. We found them significantly less than reliable or accurate on many of the islands. They could run hours off of the listed times so have cash for a taxi or a secured way back to ship

Great advice!

Our plan was a taxi and get the taxi company's number to call for a return trip. We will have one phone with international minutes on it for exactly this type of thing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter