My Year of Disney BEGINS: a little Running, a little Drinking: PTR **1/12-W&D-Day 8**

huggybuff

DIS Veteran
Greetings!!! This is my first PTR, so please, be gentle! :laughing:

So far I've got 3 trips for sure planned, with maybe 2 more side trips to DL as a possibility. I'm buying an annual premier pass (June 2015-June 2016) so I know I'm going to want to milk that sucker for all of its worth.

First up, DL: Going from 6/21-6/24 with my sister's family. That'll be DSis, DBiL and 3 DNephews, 6, 4 and 2. We're staying at the Annabella, in separate rooms, thank the gods. I've been to DL throughout my life, so not much planning is going into this one. That's one thing I've discovered with the upcoming WDW trips, DL is easy peasy comparatively. I do have a few reservations though, all for Tuesday the 23rd. Steakhouse 55 for breakfast while my family is using their early entry hour at DL. (I won't get it since I'll have the AP instead.) Big Thunder Ranch BBQ for lunch, although this one may get ditched at my sister's discretion. Lastly I've got a solo WOC dinner booked at Carthay Circle at DCA. DSis isn't one for shows or fireworks. :earseek: Not a problem for me since we're getting in on Sunday afternoon after the 7 hour drive from NorCal. At that point, after our dinner in DTD, I'm going to go buy my AP and sneak in to catch the Paint the Night parade and the Disneyland Forever fireworks without telling my sweet nephews. Bad Auntie?

Next up is my first adult trip to WDW and I'm so excited! I'm meeting my DBFF and her family in Florida. They're staying at AoA in a Cars suite with free dining. Right now I'm booked at CBR, however, I think that will change once the AP discounts for room only packages are announced this summer. I might go for SSR based on its proximity to DTD and because I already have a spa appointment booked there. BUT I am really undecided at this point. All I know is that it needs to be a host hotel for the Wine and Dine Half, because I'm doing that, woo hoo! :dance3:

I think that's enough for now. Next, I'll update with the particulars of what we have cooked up for November 2015. Oh yes, there will be Drinking Around the World, yes, it IS happening...

So here's the itinerary for the Wine and Dine Half trip:

• 11/5 - Arrive at MCO at 5pm EST, pick up the rental car and probably drive straight to Fort Wilderness to pick up their internal bus to Pioneer Hall for Hoop Dee Doo at 8:30pm. Hoping the BFF and her family can make their own way there or I may be picking them up on the way as they have a day planned at Animal Kingdom.
  • 11/6 - Be at the Expo at WWoS before 10am for packet pickup with the goal of being out of there by 11:45am. Either head back to the hotel if I'm staying at SSR or just drive straight to DTD and have lunch at Raglan Rd at 12:30pm. Arrive at the Senses Spa at SSR by 2:30pm and relax with a sports massage, coconut body treatment and a mani/pedi. After that, if I can still walk and haven't turned to jelly, I have an 8pm ADR at Artist Point at WL.
  • 11/7 - Back to DTD for breakfast at Wolfgang Puck Express on the Marketplace side. Light shopping until 1pm when I have an ADR at Paradiso 37 for a pre-race meal. Then back to the hotel to rest up/nap until 6pm. Catch the bus to the starting line around 7pm, although the race doesn't start until 10pm. Then it's 13.1 miles around DAK, DHS and Epcot without getting swept. *fingers crossed* Finally, I should get about 3 hours of the post race party - which will be more than I can handle! I'm not built to stay up til 4am anymore especially since I want to be up by 8am the next morning.
  • 11/8 - Be at DHS by 10:30am and meet the BFF + fam for our 11am ADR at 50's Prime Time. The drinking will then commence! I definitely want to stop by Writer's Stop and Starring Rolls to pick up some cupcakes or the carrot cake cookie. Next, we have a 4:25 ADR for Hollywood Brown Derby for the Fantasmic! dinner. That runs at 7pm and with the EMH that night, I'm sure we'll check out the Osbourne lights later.
  • 11/9 - Epcot day. Our only ADR is Garden Grill at 6:30pm. Other than that we're eating around the world at the F&W booths. Illuminations at 9pm.
  • 11/10 - Early entry into DAK for breakfast at Tusker House at 8am. After that we're doing QS of some kind for both lunch and dinner. All I know is that at some point in the day, I will be visiting Dawa Bar!
  • 11/11 - Back to Epcot for some drinking around the world :drinking1 France at 9am for mimosas, Norway for Viking coffee and La Cava at noon for a most anticipated margarita. Lunch at La Cantina de San Angel, and an ADR for dinner at 6pm at Biergarten, with a few stops in between. Or maybe resting.
  • 11/12 - Universal day. I have no idea what we're doing, other than visiting Harry Potter.
  • 11/13 - Finally hitting MK. I'll be solo until MVMCP, so I'm starting at Crystal Palace, ADR at 8:45am. I want to try Columbia Harbour House for lunch and I must get a Citrus Swirl. ::yes:: For dinner we have a 5:30 ADR at BOG and afterwards I'm going to party it out on my last night in WDW.
  • 11/14 - 7:30am ADR at Kona Café for my goodbye breakfast before I make my way to the airport to fly home. :sad:

Me with Chip at Storyteller's Cafe a couple of years ago.

IMG_0052%20(3).jpg

ETA: Well that didn't work, hmrph.

Last edited:
Sooo, I've decided to do the Rebel Challenge for the Star Wars Half Marathon weekend at DL! It'll be my first challenge experience. Looks like I have more planning to do. :cloud9:

I have three Disney trips scheduled in the next year as well - DL in November for the Avengers Half Marathon weekend, a cruise on the Fantasy in January (both with the BFF), and now a solo adult trip to WDW for April. I think perhaps you and I would get along :D.

I have three Disney trips scheduled in the next year as well - DL in November for the Avengers Half Marathon weekend, a cruise on the Fantasy in January (both with the BFF), and now a solo adult trip to WDW for April. I think perhaps you and I would get along :D.

Oh my, I think we would! Someone at work asked me if 'the Mouse bit me?'. I think the answer is, Yes!

I'm in! My husband is running Wine & Dine. We'll be both doing the Rebel Challenge + 5K. We did the Rebel Challenge last year.

The Eat to the Beat schedule was released! Looks like our Epcot days are lining up with Big Bad Voodoo Daddy and Hanson. Mmmm Bop! I'm guessing we're in for big crowds that night. I've seen a few posters planning their whole trip around their dates!

Meanwhile, WL keeps toying with my emotions. I check the room availability every day, hoping for the Courtyard View room to be there. Some days it's there, sometimes just the rooms with bunk beds are showing. I know my chances of snagging one of them with an AP discount (whenever that comes out) are slim, but I live in HOPE!

Wishing I had my shiny new AP this morning! It's Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend sign up day for DVC/AP holders and I wanna sign up. So bad. :yoda:

In other news, I saw a poster make a comment about how there's too much focus on these boards on deluxe resorts and signature restaurants. I didn't want to start anything, so I didn't say anything, but for some reason I keep thinking about it. Is it wrong to want to stay at WL so much? I've wanted stay there since I was a little girl, but now I'm feeling extremely shallow. Maybe it's just a soft spot for me and he (I'm assuming HE) touched on it.

In other news, I saw a poster make a comment about how there's too much focus on these boards on deluxe resorts and signature restaurants. I didn't want to start anything, so I didn't say anything, but for some reason I keep thinking about it. Is it wrong to want to stay at WL so much? I've wanted stay there since I was a little girl, but now I'm feeling extremely shallow. Maybe it's just a soft spot for me and he (I'm assuming HE) touched on it.

Ughhhhh - sounds like sour grapes on their part to me. When I had the opportunity to stay at the Beach Club a couple of years ago, I grabbed it and was thrilled to do so and had an amazing time. Can I stay at a deluxe resort on a regular basis? No, I cannot - an average trip for me means a moderate. But I would never try to shame someone who could. And if you want to dine at a signature restaurant and can afford it, great! If you can't, or don't want to *coughlikemecough*, then that's cool, too. There is nothing wrong with your wanting to stay at WL. There is nothing wrong with anyone else wanting to stay at POP. I'd also point out that there is a TON of chatter on these boards about the value resorts from people who LOVE them. As long as you're not being an entitled jerk about it (WHICH YOU ARE NOT) you enjoy your trip your way and don't let anyone else's opinion get in your way :D.

Ughhhhh - sounds like sour grapes on their part to me. When I had the opportunity to stay at the Beach Club a couple of years ago, I grabbed it and was thrilled to do so and had an amazing time. Can I stay at a deluxe resort on a regular basis? No, I cannot - an average trip for me means a moderate. But I would never try to shame someone who could. And if you want to dine at a signature restaurant and can afford it, great! If you can't, or don't want to *coughlikemecough*, then that's cool, too. There is nothing wrong with your wanting to stay at WL. There is nothing wrong with anyone else wanting to stay at POP. I'd also point out that there is a TON of chatter on these boards about the value resorts from people who LOVE them. As long as you're not being an entitled jerk about it (WHICH YOU ARE NOT) you enjoy your trip your way and don't let anyone else's opinion get in your way :D.

Thanks for the reassurance. I guess I'm a little sensitive to that line of thinking right now with all the trips I'm planning for this year. I've had people asking me how can I afford everything I want to do and it sometimes makes me wonder if I'm being too self indulgent. But, like you, I did have a long Disney layoff in my life and now with runDisney, things are just lining up for me.

WRT to that poster, I wanted to ask if he'd ever been to the Budget Board section or seen the Free Dining debacle a couple of months ago. People pinch serious pennies to go to Disney. It's definitely not reserved for people going to Victoria and Albert's every night and staying at the GF. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.) But enough about him, :sad2:

Following along! I wish I had motivation to start a PTR! Maybe you will give me inspiration! DD25 and I are doing W&D half and will be registering for PHM on June 30 (hopefully!) when it opens for AP holders. :)

ETA: I also have a whole family trip planned to WDW in September (see my ticker!). :)

Wishing I had my shiny new AP this morning! It's Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend sign up day for DVC/AP holders and I wanna sign up. So bad. :yoda:

I find that if something really bothers you, you can find all the threads on that subject and tend to ignore the other threads that would probably suit you better. Everyone has different financial situations or different priorities. At WDW, my husband and I only do the parks for a few hours at a time and then enjoy the resort in the early afternoons so we like being able to have a gym, bar or extras. Others like to be in the park for 12 hours straight and don't need to worry about those things. They have different hotels because people value different items. Personally, I don't like having to stay at the values as I do not find them relaxing with their décor and overall layout. That said, if I'm trying to take a trip on the cheap, I'll deal with it as staying at All Stars or the Pop is better than not going to Disney. If you want to stay at WL, go for it! I know I'm spending like $700 more dollars for Star Wars at Disneyland because I want to stay at Grand Californian over Paradise Pier.

I feel so lonely over here, running my Disneyland 5K... ;)

It starts with the 5K and then it turns into a oh maybe I could do a longer race and then oh I can do a Half Marathon or oh I can do a Challenge Weekend or oh I can do the 5K + the Challenge. Just hand your paychecks over to Disney now ;)

It starts with the 5K and then it turns into a oh maybe I could do a longer race and then oh I can do a Half Marathon or oh I can do a Challenge Weekend or oh I can do the 5K + the Challenge. Just hand your paychecks over to Disney now ;)

RunDisney is so addictive, I wouldn't be surprised if you come back from the Avengers 5K wanting to do more. The bling is so seductive.

Oh, you don't have to tell me. My BFF is a runDisney fanatic. I'm pretty sure she DOES just hand her paychecks over to Disney :). As for me....well, let's see if I can get through this race (my first)!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter