My Year of Disney BEGINS: a little Running, a little Drinking: PTR **1/12-W&D-Day 8**

My nephews are getting so big! Here's a pic of them with my Aunt Betty during the holiday.

IMG_0356 (640x480).jpg

For dessert we were encouraged to go up to a station and request a Liquid Nitro Chocolate-Almond Truffle with Warm Whiskey-Caramel Sauce. Now this one was from a booth - The Chew Lab Marketplace. It was also awesome. I should've gotten another one.
We were at F&W last October and someone told us that this was their favorite dessert. We tried it and didn't like it at all. But everyone else seems to love it. ;)

This ride is not for the claustrophobic. Or those who like to breathe. I couldn't believe how pinned in we felt when the vehicle closed around us like a clamshell. This is a ride I have no desire to ride again - but it's still not my least favorite ride of the trip. (To be revealed in a future installment.)
I am claustrophobic and this ride was the most horrible ride experience ever. I can't wait to hear what your least favorite ride was. :)

I hate Mission:Space. I refuse to ride it. Having air to breathe is important!

Your Garden Grill pictures are adorable!

We were at F&W last October and someone told us that this was their favorite dessert. We tried it and didn't like it at all. But everyone else seems to love it. ;)

EPCOT's Executive Chef even said it was his favorite dish out of them all during the speaking session. He hemmed and hawed for a minute until he came to his decision, but that's what he went with as his favorite.

I am claustrophobic and this ride was the most horrible ride experience ever.

No doubt it would be after experiencing it myself! The BFF said she didn't know she was that claustrophobic and then she rode Mission:SPACE.

I hate Mission:Space. I refuse to ride it. Having air to breathe is important!

I can't even imagine doing the Orange side. The Green was a bit intense and I usually don't get too bothered by simulator type rides.

Your Garden Grill pictures are adorable!

Thanks! :)

045-640x480-jpg.141456
This looks incredible!!!

Our final savory item was the Beef Tenderloin Hash with Eggs, Hollandaise and Pork Belly. This one was not so enjoyable for me. Something about eating the eggs out in the heat maybe...
Aww, that's too bad, because it does sound super delicious!

OMG!!! Is this the standard dessert at Garden Grill now? This looks about a million times yummier than the cobbler they had when I was there last year!!

Wine and Dine - Day 6 - Tuesday - Part 1

This day was my first and only day at Animal Kingdom. I have to say that I fell in love with this park! We had an 8AM ADR at Tusker House for breakfast and on the way there I had to stop and take this pic:

057 (640x480).jpg

We made our way back to Africa to find Tusker House and check in at the podium. The level of theming is quite impressive in the whole park. It seems like no corner is untouched by the Imagineers. We were led to our table and I got a corner seat so I ended up not getting any character pics at this meal. :( I had a glass of the Jungle Juice and thought it was wonderful! Too bad I didn't know that they'd throw in some rum if you requested it. On my first plate I tried the beef bobotie (didn't care for it) and had a huge hunk of baked banana cream cheese fresh toast. It was the star of the show - amazing! There's also some potatoes and fruit on there.

058 (640x480).jpg

On my second plate I had the traditional bacon, scrambled eggs and sausage, plus a hard boiled egg. There's also Spiced Corn Beef Hash with Cornbread Topping, a bit of spit-roasted ham with spicy mustard, and ham and cheese frittata. I thought everything was great, except for the bobotie, which I didn't personally care for.

059 (640x480).jpg

Mickey and Donald were a little meh as far as the character interaction went with the BFF's son. Goofy and Daisy were much more into it and took a lot more time with him.

062 (640x480).jpg

064 (640x480).jpg

065 (640x480).jpg

After breakfast we still had a little bit of time before our FP window opened up for Kilimanjaro Safaris so we decided to explore the Pangani Forest Exploration Trail. We saw various birds, zebras, meerkats, monkeys and the crazy entertaining gorillas. I can't wait to start taking my nephews here when they get older!

072 (640x480).jpg

081 (640x480).jpg

088 (640x480).jpg

089 (640x480).jpg

Wine and Dine - Day 6 - Tuesday - Part 2

I think we barely made our FP for Kilimanjaro Safaris we were so into the self-guided tour. Luckily we didn't miss that ride because it was so much fun. We saw a cheetah, a lion, rhinos, hippos, giraffe, elephants and I can't remember what else. No pics as I was on the inside of our row of seats. Besides, sometimes taking pics takes you out of the moment when it's better to just sit back and enjoy it.

After we finished with Safaris, I petitioned for a stop at Dawa Bar. I got the Lost on Safari: Captain Morgan Original Spiced Rum, Pink Pigeon Mauritian Rum, and our refreshing Pangani Punch. It was tasty but not very strong. Boo.

090 (640x480).jpg

I finished my drink on the way to our next stop, It's Tough to be a Bug! Not my favorite show in the world, but it's a fine excuse to sit down for a few minutes. The next thing I knew we were in the stand-by line for DINOSAUR. At this point it was probably verging on 12PM and our next FP window opened up at 12:35PM for Expedition Everest. For some reason this line seemed to move at an absolutely glacial pace. Finally, we made it into the pre-show room where we watched the video with Wallace Langham and Phylicia Rashad. That's a combo I wasn't expecting. So, the ride. I hated it. Least favorite ride of the trip. If you haven't been to DL and you hear people say that DINOSAUR is like the Indiana Jones ride, don't believe them! Yes, it's the same concept, but Indy's execution is just head and shoulders above this mess. If you can't tell, the look on my face in the ride picture is ***?

PhotoPass_Visiting_Disneys_Animal_Kingdom_Park_7515303860 (425x640).jpg

Luckily, that 'fun' was followed by my favorite ride of the trip, Expedition Everest. We trekked to Asia from DinoLand and I once again marveled at the theming of DAK. I had read very little about EE, so the track reversal was a complete surprise to me. I can't wait to ride it again in February! Since we were right next door we decided to ride Kali River Rapids. Yeah, we got soaked. Here's the BFF's after picture:

091 (640x480).jpg

At this point it was 2PM and well past lunchtime. We retraced our steps back into DinoLand and ended up at Restaurantosaurus. I got the Macaroni and Cheese Hot Dog: Creamy Macaroni and Cheese and tasty Bacon Bits top our delicious Hot Dog served in a fresh Bun with your choice of Apple Slices or French Fries. It was nothing outstanding, but it hit the spot. I used the BFF's DDP credits for lunch so I also had the Cheesecake Topped with Strawberries for the dessert entitlement. Again, it was fine.

092 (640x480).jpg

After lunch we stood at the crocodile viewing location for a bit and digested. He was sleeping but still fun to watch. Eventually we made our way across Discovery Island before stopping at Creature Comforts (Starbucks) for some needed caffeine. We were on our way to Africa again for our last FP of the day: Festival of the Lion King. The show began at 4PM and featured some great singing, dancing, costumes, acrobatics and crowd involvement. That said, I wasn't as carried away by it as some people say that they have been. Maybe it was just that time of the day where I was beginning to sag. Once the show ended we made our way back to the front of the park and towards the exit, stopping at a couple of stores on the way. We finally left the park about 5:30PM and all of us walked to my car in the parking lot because we were all headed back to my resort for a dinner ADR at the Turf Club Bar and Grill. I pawned off driving to BFF's hubby just for fun and because I wanted him to drive to Universal on that coming Thursday.

SSR is so spread out that I mistakenly had us park about half a mile away from the restaurant. Oops. Oh well, a little before dinner walk never hurt anyone and we made it on time for our 6:40 ADR. The Turf Club interior feels old money with its dark woods and emerald greens. Definitely less Disney-ish than many other restaurants on property. I had the Chef's Seasonal Salad to start. (Check out the DIS Boards cameo.)

093 (640x480).jpg

For dinner, I believe we all had some version of the Turf Club Pasta. I had Turf Club Pasta - Fettucine with Shrimp, Garlic, and fresh Vegetables tossed in a Spicy Italian Herb-infused Olive Oil. I thought it was a little too heavy on the olive oil and vegetables. And the portion was huge!

094 (640x480).jpg

We decided to forego dessert and BFF+Family decided to take the boat over to Disney Springs for some Ghirardelli and then bus back to AoA. I was quickly in my comfy bed, preparing for another fun day - or so I thought!

Coming Up - Lethargy, Listlessness and Lederhosen!

The Turf Club interior feels old money with its dark woods and emerald greens. Definitely less Disney-ish than many other restaurants on property.
I love your description. I can just picture what the Turf Club must look like. It would be interesting to see it in person. :)

I can just picture what the Turf Club must look like. It would be interesting to see it in person. :)

To me it's one of those restaurants I wouldn't think about visiting unless I was staying at SSR. It doesn't seem to have hidden gem status or popular appeal...it's just kind of handy when you're staying at that resort and want a TS meal at the last minute. The prices don't reflect that though. They're in line with other TS locations that are more sought after. I'm glad I ate there since I don't foresee staying at SSR again and wouldn't really have a reason to get back to Turf Club in the future.

After we finished with Safaris, I petitioned for a stop at Dawa Bar. I got the Lost on Safari: Captain Morgan Original Spiced Rum, Pink Pigeon Mauritian Rum, and our refreshing Pangani Punch. It was tasty but not very strong. Boo.

090-640x480-jpg.142526
Ooooh. I think this looks and sounds about perfect. :cloud9: Even if it wasn't strong enough for you! I bet I would love it!

Luckily, that 'fun' was followed by my favorite ride of the trip, Expedition Everest. We trekked to Asia from DinoLand and I once again marveled at the theming of DAK. I had read very little about EE, so the track reversal was a complete surprise to me.
Oh, YAY! I'm sooo glad that this one didn't get spoiled for you, and you got be surprised! :hyper:

Festival of the Lion King. The show began at 4PM and featured some great singing, dancing, costumes, acrobatics and crowd involvement. That said, I wasn't as carried away by it as some people say that they have been. Maybe it was just that time of the day where I was beginning to sag.
Aww, I'm sorry that this was a bit underwhelming for you! I just love it every time I see it, personally! :simba:

For dinner, I believe we all had some version of the Turf Club Pasta. I had Turf Club Pasta - Fettucine with Shrimp, Garlic, and fresh Vegetables tossed in a Spicy Italian Herb-infused Olive Oil. I thought it was a little too heavy on the olive oil and vegetables. And the portion was huge!
Speaking as somebody who is slowly trying to give up carbs for 2016... THIS LOOKS AMAZING TO ME RIGHT NOW. :rotfl:

You guys, I'm sick. *#!@$%

I started feeling oogy yesterday afternoon and had to leave work early today. Fever, chills, runny nose, scratchy throat, cough. :sick: I'm waiting for some Nyquil to kick in right now. I've got 6 days to kick this thing out of here or else I won't be a happy camper. :sad2:

You guys, I'm sick. *#!@$%

I started feeling oogy yesterday afternoon and had to leave work early today. Fever, chills, runny nose, scratchy throat, cough. :sick: I'm waiting for some Nyquil to kick in right now. I've got 6 days to kick this thing out of here or else I won't be a happy camper. :sad2:
Oh, no! I hope you can feel better in time for your trip. That is really bad timing. :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter