• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

My YC review

virginflyer

Earning My Ears
Hi, just back from the Yacht club. Stayed in a lagoon view, concierge room. Room. It was about average. Just like a Motel 6 room, with an extra sink and boat steering wheels above the beds. Only saving grace was the view of some water and tops of roofs. If you want to see the fireworks, get a telescope.

Before we went, we had heard so much about the hotel pool and how good it was. IMHO the pool was nothing special. It felt a bit grubby and boy do they pack you in and only one towel?

The other thing was the fact that everyone staying in the hotel seemed to be there on business. That to me isn't a vacation hotel. I would have stayed at the Peabody opposite the convention center for that.

The concierge service were completely uninterested in anything you had to say. Food was awful.

We ate at the Yachtmans steakhouse (2 hour wait). Food here was was akin to a Sizzler restaurant with very high prices.

Plus points : Nice Ice cream.

It really amazes me just how much Disney's standards have slipped. My money will be going straight over to Universal next time, where I can rest safe in the knowledge that I am getting value for money, new resorts, state of the art theme parks and dont have to wait in line for 90 minutes. Give me my Front of the Line card anytime!

Did you cancel your HRH reservations to try YC and Disney? That would be a bummer as you seem to like the Universal area better. How long was your stay at the YC? Sorry to hear about your experience at the Yachtsman, wow a 2 hour wait :earseek: . Was that with a priority seating reservation? I'm not a big pool person either, but I know that my 8 and 15 year old thought they were in pool heaven when they saw Stormalongbay :angel: .

If you still have your HRH trip planned, I hope things work out better for you there.

well thats to bad
im sorry you had such a tought time
i have toured yacht and beach club and the pool was amazing
i my opinion im sorry you didnt liker it
it seems there have been lost so fcomplaints lately about CL rooms
and the staff at the Cl
to spend that kinda money and come unhappy is unfortunate

Wow...I'm stunned. I just got back Wednesday from Lagoon View Concierge and had the opposite experience!

We loved the staff and thought they were wonderful! Alana at planning worked miracles for us. Becky, Betty and crew did the same and the entire staff was smiles and "Hellos" when we arrived or left.

The cleaning staff constantly thanked us in writing or towel animals for our mousekeeping tips. We never had a problem with a request. The view from room 5149 of the fireworks was wonderful and we enjoyed several evenings watching them. It was a superior view as far as distance than from Poly Concierge Lagoon view to MK "Wishes" (althought we missed the castle.)

We live in Florida and yet spend 6-7 hours a day by the pool. The kids didn't want to leave the kiddie side except to hit the big slide about 35 times while we were there. My wife and I spent hours in the lazy river.

The kids and my wife are now a deep walnut brown moreso than I've ever seen them. I have to be happy with my pasty-white thanks to SPF 45. Didn't do a thing for them, they tan if you talk about going outside.

We ordered room service one night being too spent from the parks and the pool. They went out of their way to bring up some Lobster Bisque (not on the menu but if you ask nicely...) It arrived in minutes. We were very impressed. The valets and luggage handlers were lightening fast.

I will be posting a full review later this week...

Sorry it didn't work out for you. We are heading back asap. The lazy river calls me...

Hi Alice, neighbor! I was getting a little worried with all the negative YC posts myself until CaipiraBob's review on his stay. It will be very interesting if the OP stayed at the same time and it's just a matter of 2 peoples differing opinions. I admit that I was sort of surprised at the comparison of the room to a Motel 6. I don't think I've ever stayed in a Motel 6 that had pillow top mattresses and what felt like to me, at least 300 count egyptian cotton bedding. I honestly thought I was sleeping in a cloud at the YC. Maybe not all rooms have been updated with these new fineries :confused3 ?

Wow, I'm surprised to hear that. Sorry you didn't have such a great trip.

Did you have a reservation for dinner at Yachtsmans? And did you utilize Fastpass? That's too bad that you had 90 minute waits!

We all different tastes. We stayed at the HRH at Universal last year and hated it. The whole place seemed like any other Six Flags park.
At Disney I feel it's run at higher standards than others.
We will stay at the YC this year for the first time and looking forward to it.
I've already talked them and they couldn't have been more helpful and friendly to me. :goodvibes

My gosh, hard to believe we could have been there at the same time and stayed at the same resort!! We just returned from the YC last night and had an absolutely wonderful stay :) Our room could not have been nicer ~~ well, I guess maybe it could have .... one door to the left and we could have been staying in the Presidential Suite! :banana:

We arrived Tuesday and our room was ready when we checked in at 1 o'clock. I was a bit apprehensive since I felt maybe I'd put in 'too many' requests, but every one of them had been honored. We looked directly out onto the marina ~ perfect view. My daughter is a CP'er who is a Friendship boat captain, so it was really fun to sit out on the balcony and watch them come and go.

Our room was very clean ~ that's one thing I am very particular about ~ and mousekeeping was excellent. We had more towel animals and little touches here than we've ever had on any of our previous stays at any WDW resort.

We usually stay at the BC or the BWI, but our last stay at the BWI wasn't as nice as usual so we decided to try the YC this time. I loved that the YC lobby was more subdued than the other two hotels. The overall feeling of the YC is just quieter, yet you still know you're at Disney.

We now have a new favorite resort. :)

Wow.... A SIzzler??? We ate there on our honey moon and is was excellent! Steak wouldn't even usually be my first choice, but the filet was great, and the dessert sampler was awesome.

Sorry you had such a bad experience. I'm sure the trip cost you a fortune!

We stayed at BC at Easter and I posted that the conciege food was cut back , limited or ran out. What food that was there was good. Now we love the YC , just could not get in. YC lagoon rooms are great and very well keep.
The conciege staff at YC and BC are just great. They always made us feel like we where at home. Hated the fastpass at first but learned how to use them and no problems. Also love the extra night hours. Alway had pr's and never had to wait. For the best steak go to Shulas. Have stayed at HRH and did not like it at all. The PBH is my favorite hotel but the YC is like home. I love both WDW and Universal , heck you have it all.

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

I've never stayed at Motel 6. If the rooms are as nice as the YC, why am I paying such high prices to stay onsite????

Sorry you didn't enjoy your stay at YC. Sounds like YC just doesn't "do it" for you.

We recently returned from 6 nights at YC and had a wonderful stay. We thought the room was nicely furnished -- comfy bed, quality furnishings and lots of drawer space. We prefer to unpack on vacation and for once, DH and I had more than enough space to keep everything tucked away somewhere. The beds were so comfortable that I didn't spend that first night tossing and turning trying to get used to a strange bed and pillow -- fell right asleep and slept really well every night.

We didn't stay CL. We had a 3rd floor water view room with a lovely view of the lake and the Boardwalk across the water. I loved looking at the lake and boats by day and the lights of the Boardwalk at night. We enjoyed having so many things within walking distance: the Boardwalk area, Epcot, MGM. The whole atmosphere there just invites you to head out and explore the area.

We thought Stormalong Bay was great, but several times we opted to use the quiet pool, particularly when we wanted to swim laps or just relax in a quiet place. There were never more than 3 other people (and 2 ducks!!) in the quiet pool when we were there, plus a few people lying on lounge chairs reading or snoozing. We could take as many towels as we wanted at any of the pools there. I usually took three and nobody ever had a problem with that -- there were always plenty of clean towels to be had.

There were people there who were obviously staying at YC on business, dressed in suits and sitting in the lobby using their laptops, but there were far more people wandering in and out in park attire. The lobby is quieter than most other Disney hotels, but being as DH and I are past the half century mark and don't have kids, we appreciated the tranquility after a day in the parks.

We didn't eat in the Steakhouse but we had breakfast most mornings at the Yacht Club Galley and the food there was great. We had the breakfast buffet and the food was good and the orange juice tasted like fresh squeezed.

Overall we had a wonderful time and can't wait to go back.

VIRGINFLYER-- sorry to hear about your stay! there is nothing worse than not being happy with your accomodations.

CAIPIRABOB-- i am glad to hear you had a totally opposite experience. it reinforces our decision to try the YC for the first time next year.

I've stayed at a Motel 6 and I stayed at the YC concierge over Mothers' Day. There is no comparison. We usually stay DVC but decided to splurge for one night. The bed and pillows are the best!

The staff is excellent. We didn't sample all the food offerings but were happy with what we did try (especially the late night treats).

We want to go back!

Cyn

Motel 6 with steering wheels over the bed? Is this is a joke?

What type of food was served ? Water bottles ? OJ ? danish ? Crackers ? Cookies ? Coffee ? tea ?

Were people looking for full meals ?

CL does not mean private butlers - just a little extra magic.

virginflyer said:
Hi, just back from the Yacht club. Stayed in a lagoon view, concierge room. Room. It was about average. Just like a Motel 6 room, with an extra sink and boat steering wheels above the beds. Only saving grace was the view of some water and tops of roofs. If you want to see the fireworks, get a telescope.

A Motel 6 room?? I don't know what Motel 6 you've stayed at lately, but I guess they must have had a huge refurbishment project going on at some of their properties.

Before we went, we had heard so much about the hotel pool and how good it was. IMHO the pool was nothing special. It felt a bit grubby and boy do they pack you in and only one towel?

Nothing Special?? I guess all of those people "packed" in the pool area must not have had your insight on pools. I don't recall very many Motel 6s or even the Waldorf in NY having a 3.5 acre waterpark with a lazy river and waterslide.

The other thing was the fact that everyone staying in the hotel seemed to be there on business. That to me isn't a vacation hotel. I would have stayed at the Peabody opposite the convention center for that.

This unfortunately comes with the territory at YC since they have a convention center. You hope you can hit it just right and not be there at the same time as a convention, but then again this can happen at any hotel near a convention center.

We ate at the Yachtmans steakhouse (2 hour wait). Food here was was akin to a Sizzler restaurant with very high prices.

Again, I'm wondering if Sizzler has now opened a new line of eatiers named Sizzlié? As one of the other posters asked, I'm wondering if you walked up to the Yachtsman or had a PS?

mommykds said:
Motel 6 with steering wheels over the bed? Is this is a joke?
When I first read the OP I thought it must be tonge in cheek kind of thing. If it was serious, then by all means head back to Universtal and leave WDW to the rest of us who know how to enjoy the special magic that is Disney.!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter