My Trip to the 2011 D23 Expo - TR Complete!

Great update and info about up-coming movies. Those archives look great and such great stage props!

And did I read correctly? You moved right on past the Tron section?? Is Firefly lurking at all?? :scared1:

:rotfl:

I thought about her as I sort of darted through that room, but honestly I didn't "get" the props that they showed in there. I haven't seen either movie, but they just seemed like some white space suits without the helmets.

Love, love, love the updates!!! I am especially looking forward to the Monsters University movie! My boys LOVE Monsters, Inc. and so do I. I just always thought that was one of the most creative of the Pixar movies! 2 years ago for Halloween, my big one was Sulley and my little one was Mike! They went to the same school, and had a Halloween party...everyone got a kick out of their costumes and it was a lot of fun. The new movie is coming out in 2013, right?

June 21, 2013 is the release date. Wow! That's a long ways away! In fact the next Expo will already be over by the time it's out! That sounds like some really cute costumes. I bet they were adorable!

Fran was on the showroom floor and the vendors were right by the arena entrance...can't wait for more updates.

I know...dangerous place to leave her, huh?

Out of curiousity......did you make notes thru out these presentations??? You have so many details which make it a wonderful read!!! Loving this!!

The first day I didn't take notes, my pictures mostly reminded me of what went on, but for the Studios I started taking notes and did throughout the rest of the Expo. I learned at Destination-D last September that I can't remember anything, as much as I think I will. :lmao: I tried to do a TR from that event. All last year I kept asking myself, "Did they say there would be 32 or 54 different Star Tours journeys?" I kep thinking that 54 was too many, but I guess not! I started taking notes at the Destination-D in May and there is no way I could report such detail without my notes.

However, I haven't taken notes like that since College and boy! Are my hands out of shape from writing on paper with a pen! :rotfl:

Wow, June of 2013 for Monsters University?! So long to wait! But I'm sure it will be worth it!

I know it feels like it is far away, but like anything else, the time will pass by so quickly. I can't believe that another school year is about to start in a couple of weeks...I'm beginning my 13th year of teaching already!

I thought about her as I sort of darted through that room, but honestly I didn't "get" the props that they showed in there. I haven't seen either movie, but they just seemed like some white space suits without the helmets.

If they were white, then they were probably the suits from the armory or the ones worn by Zuse and Gem. *puts geek hat on*

:lmao:

The first day I didn't take notes, my pictures mostly reminded me of what went on, but for the Studios I started taking notes and did throughout the rest of the Expo. I learned at Destination-D last September that I can't remember anything, as much as I think I will. :lmao: I tried to do a TR from that event. All last year I kept asking myself, "Did they say there would be 32 or 54 different Star Tours journeys?" I kep thinking that 54 was too many, but I guess not! I started taking notes at the Destination-D in May and there is no way I could report such detail without my notes.

However, I haven't taken notes like that since College and boy! Are my hands out of shape from writing on paper with a pen! :rotfl:

Well I know, I really appreciate all the details & photos you've put into this report. I'd love to attend one of these, but to be honest with you....I'm not sure I could handle all the crowds. So I'm enjoying reading this & kinda feeling like I was there right with you!!!

Thank you for another amazing update!

I'm pretty sure (but not positive) that The Muppets movie is coming out later this year, not 2012 as you wrote.

Robert

Wow, June of 2013 for Monsters University?! So long to wait! But I'm sure it will be worth it!

I know it feels like it is far away, but like anything else, the time will pass by so quickly. I can't believe that another school year is about to start in a couple of weeks...I'm beginning my 13th year of teaching already!

I know! I'm sure it will be a great movie, it seems like so long, but I will have made three WDW trips and hopefully CA F&W will have already come back too, so with all that to look forward to the time will pass quickly!

If they were white, then they were probably the suits from the armory or the ones worn by Zuse and Gem. *puts geek hat on*

:lmao:

Don't worry, I'm sure there were plenty of geeks there that ooohed and aaahed over that exhibit.

Well I know, I really appreciate all the details & photos you've put into this report. I'd love to attend one of these, but to be honest with you....I'm not sure I could handle all the crowds. So I'm enjoying reading this & kinda feeling like I was there right with you!!!

As you'll see in the next update the crowds sort of ticked me off a little too.

Thank you for another amazing update!

I'm pretty sure (but not positive) that The Muppets movie is coming out later this year, not 2012 as you wrote.

Robert

Yes, Thanksgiving 2011. Looks like fun!

As I said, I was getting tired writing the report yesterday, thanks for pointing it out. I fixed it in the update.

So after a quick trip back to the Hilton for both cell phones and the two cameras, we had agreed to meet in front of a sign at one of the Disney Living booths at 1:50PM. If I wasn’t there, she would come back every 10 minutes. We didn’t synchronize our watches in the morning because mine said 1:51 when I arrived and I waited two minutes, but she was coming back for the 2:00 check in. I do have to admit that I dilly dallied in the room a tiny bit, I tossed a quick update on the DIS before heading back. :rolleyes1

Next on our plan had been the 2:30 25 years of Pixar presentation, but I was pretty sure that everyone who didn’t make it into the Arena for the Studios had headed up there for the queue. We thought about the Sneak Peek at Buena Vista Street at 2:45, but knew that at 2PM there was probably no chance of getting in. We probably could have gotten in line for the Legends of Imagineering (4:30) or Monsters University (5:00), but truthfully I was a little presentation and queued out.

Right next to where we were meeting up was this display of props from the latest Pirates movie.

DSCN2152.jpg

I thought this was pretty cool and decided to have a look-see and take some shots. Unfortunately you’ll have to bear with me, the glass did not help my pictures while I am sure that it kept these artifacts from being spoiled. Even without the flash I still got glare on a lot of the shots, but I’m showing them to you anyways.

DSCN2151.jpg

DSCN2153.jpg

DSCN2154.jpg

DSCN2155.jpg

DSCN2157.jpg

DSCN2156.jpg

DSCN2160.jpg

DSCN2161.jpg

DSCN2162.jpg

DSCN2164.jpg

DSCN2165.jpg

DSCN2166.jpg

IMG_3322.jpg

IMG_3324.jpg

IMG_3325.jpg

Auction pieces

We decided to head up to the second floor and check out the auction pieces which would be for sale this evening. Here are a few pictures of some of the ones that we liked and would have considered bidding on, until the bidding started!

DSCN2168.jpg

DSCN2170.jpg

DSCN2171.jpg

DSCN2169.jpg

[Continued in Next Post]

[Continued from Previous Post]

At this point I was tired of sitting in rooms paying attention to screens, I really didn’t like the crowds and was just plain on oversensory overload and tired out. I knew we would be sitting in the auction room all night so I wanted a break. Fran wanted to go shopping. She asked if it was OK to go back down to the floor and leave me in the lounge. Sure! Free Cheese and Cookies and a cash bar! Sounds good to me! Now compared to the photos coming up you can see why I find this room so much for enjoyable than what is to come.

DSCN1973.jpg

DSCN1974.jpg

Here is the spread they laid out for us. Nothing incredible, but certainly better than nothing! They also had plenty of sodas (regular & diet) and water available too.

DSCN2175.jpg

DSCN2172.jpg

DSCN2174.jpg

At the agreed upon time, Fran called and asked if I wanted to join her on the show floor. “Not really,” I thought, but I told her I would finish the cup of coffee I had just poured (wine didn’t go very well with the cookies) and be down.

Once I arrived downstairs all that serenity was gone. It was loud there were tons of people. The first thing she asks me when we find each other, “Can you give me a $100 bill?”. :scared1:

Here are a few shots of the Collector’s forum. As you can see it’s full of private vendors who operate online or store front businesses that sell Disney and other merchandise. It was fairly busy, but not as packed as I suppose it could have been.

DSCN2177.jpg

DSCN2182.jpg

DSCN2178.jpg

Here she is doing what she does best!

DSCN2180.jpg

DSCN2185.jpg

DSCN2179.jpg

These people sold audio animatronic figures. I guess if you want to have a fake pirate in your entry way greeting your guests, here you go!

DSCN2184.jpg

In some circumstances I would have really enjoyed perusing the wares of these folks, but I think my lack of sleep, my over stimulation, frustration with the crowds caused me to remove myself from the area and get one of these.

DSCN2186.jpg

Fran was hungry so she had one too. By this time I'd had enough of the show floor, so I headed back up to the lounge, and she was going to join me shortly thereafter once she was done. The Auction Preshow was supposed to begin at 7:30, so around 7PM we headed over to the queue area. Since we paid $45 each for paddles and privilege of bidding in the auction, we didn't need to worry about whether or not we would have seats. The Auction was in Stage 23 which I realized was the only venue besides the Arena that I visited this year.

DSCN2187.jpg

Next up the Auction Pre Show!

"Flashing" or not....thanks for all those pics on Pirates. And I'm with you....peace and quiet in a lounge with no one there (and free food, 'flashy' or not :rolleyes:) is preferable to a throng of people.

princess::upsidedow

We arrived for the preshow and they split us up into six different groups. Sorcerer’s with bidding privileges, Premiere with bidding, General Attendees with bidding. In another room people were divided based on the same criteria, but they had no bidding privileges. They wanted to make sure everyone who paid $45pp to bid got into the room before they let others in. Turns out there was nothing to worry about. The room was never completely full.

The preshow was by Performance Artist David Garibaldi. His particular skill is painting pictures in a matter of minutes in front of an audience while upbeat music is playing. You’ll see a blur in most of these pictures and those blurs are the artist as he dances around dipping his paint brushes, and paints the blank canvas. Each of the pictures that I show you were was painted in about 10-12 minutes if not less. I wasn’t timing him, but he was allotted 30 minutes for the whole Preshow and he did three paintings.

See how many pictures before you can name the character.

DSCN2188.jpg

DSCN2189.jpg

DSCN2190.jpg

DSCN2191.jpg

DSCN2192.jpg

DSCN2194.jpg

DSCN2196.jpg

DSCN2197.jpg

DSCN2198.jpg

DSCN2199.jpg

DSCN2200.jpg

DSCN2202.jpg

Here is the second painting

DSCN2203.jpg

DSCN2204.jpg

DSCN2205.jpg

DSCN2206.jpg

DSCN2207.jpg

DSCN2208.jpg

DSCN2209.jpg

DSCN2210.jpg

DSCN2211.jpg

DSCN2212.jpg

DSCN2213.jpg

I’ll continue when I can with the last picture and the Auction.

Whew! I had quite a few pages to catch up on. Loving all the info and pictrues. I think I'd be on sensory overload too after a day or two.

WOW!! Caught up! You do such good in depth reports..I had forgotten so many things already that you mentioned and refreshed my memory. That parks pavillion opening got me a bit dizzy..I flashbacked to being 8 years old and almost passing out at CircleVision..ugh..but once inside it was so cool..Kevin Rafferty was talking to people about the Carsland figures..I'm pretty shy so just evesdropped...
You forgot to mention that Dick VanDyke is engaged to the assistant. I am listening to his autobiography and his long time companion (after his long time wife) had passed away while he was writing the book, so glad he has found happiness.
That lounge was a great reprive..I never saw you but did give my massage coupon to a Concierge CM to pass on so hope someone enjoyed it.

"Flashing" or not....thanks for all those pics on Pirates. And I'm with you....peace and quiet in a lounge with no one there (and free food, 'flashy' or not :rolleyes:) is preferable to a throng of people.

princess::upsidedow

It was a nice place to sneak into, we would grab waters, sodas, I'd have a cup of coffee or so and get as much cheese as I could manage without being tacky.

Whew! I had quite a few pages to catch up on. Loving all the info and pictrues. I think I'd be on sensory overload too after a day or two.

Yeah, When you go 14 hours in a day (before dinner at DTD) get up in five/six hours, you get a bit punchy the next day! :lmao:

WOW!! Caught up! You do such good in depth reports..I had forgotten so many things already that you mentioned and refreshed my memory. That parks pavillion opening got me a bit dizzy..I flashbacked to being 8 years old and almost passing out at CircleVision..ugh..but once inside it was so cool..Kevin Rafferty was talking to people about the Carsland figures..I'm pretty shy so just evesdropped...
You forgot to mention that Dick VanDyke is engaged to the assistant. I am listening to his autobiography and his long time companion (after his long time wife) had passed away while he was writing the book, so glad he has found happiness.
That lounge was a great reprive..I never saw you but did give my massage coupon to a Concierge CM to pass on so hope someone enjoyed it.

I never even saw the massage thing, I would have PAID, if they were in there when I was relaxing, boy would I have loved that. I looked for you. I checked the name of every Sorcerer and never saw one named Nancy, I think you said that was your name on a DVC thread.

I probably subconsciously "missed" that DVD was engaged to his assistant. I'm glad for him that he has happiness.

Omgosh how neat!

I started tripping out for a sec, I was like, "Wait, wasn't that a mouse, now it's dumbo!?" CRAZY cool!

It was a nice place to sneak into, we would grab waters, sodas, I'd have a cup of coffee or so and get as much cheese as I could manage without being tacky.

Yeah, When you go 14 hours in a day (before dinner at DTD) get up in five/six hours, you get a bit punchy the next day! :lmao:

I never even saw the massage thing, I would have PAID, if they were in there when I was relaxing, boy would I have loved that. I looked for you. I checked the name of every Sorcerer and never saw one named Nancy, I think you said that was your name on a DVC thread.

I probably subconsciously "missed" that DVD was engaged to his assistant. I'm glad for him that he has happiness.

That's me!! I was the one who bought bagels at breakfast to eat for lunch and had my little bagel assembly mess spread out on a napkin in the lounge every day...think I lost weight at this Expo (but then made up for it with Dole Whip, Churro and Corn Dog at the park later)...I don't konw where they had that massge thing set up either..never saw it..I truly wanted to try a drink at the cash bar but really just zipped in and out.

Hi,
I'm a little late to the party but very glad to have found your report! I'm a Disney fanatic too :thumbsup2

Your trip report is just the right balance of narration and pictures. Can't wait to hear what is up next.

Thank you for taking the time to post.

TK

Omgosh how neat!

I started tripping out for a sec, I was like, "Wait, wasn't that a mouse, now it's dumbo!?" CRAZY cool!

We had fun seeing who the first person in our party was that could figure it out.

That's me!! I was the one who bought bagels at breakfast to eat for lunch and had my little bagel assembly mess spread out on a napkin in the lounge every day...think I lost weight at this Expo (but then made up for it with Dole Whip, Churro and Corn Dog at the park later)...I don't konw where they had that massge thing set up either..never saw it..I truly wanted to try a drink at the cash bar but really just zipped in and out.

I really only spent Saturday relaxing in there, the other days I just popped in and out.

Hi,
I'm a little late to the party but very glad to have found your report! I'm a Disney fanatic too :thumbsup2

Your trip report is just the right balance of narration and pictures. Can't wait to hear what is up next.

Thank you for taking the time to post.

TK

Welcome! Glad to have you here, I still have plenty to report. I remember reading your NYE TR last winter, just after I added on at VWL!

WOW! That was the pre-show entertainment??

Yeah, just wait until I get to the auction part. Some of the pieces got pretty heated in the bidding!
:lovestruc

So the third and final painting for the evening went kind of like this….

DSCN2215.jpg

DSCN2216.jpg

DSCN2219.jpg

DSCN2220.jpg

DSCN2221.jpg

DSCN2222.jpg

DSCN2223.jpg

DSCN2224.jpg

DSCN2225.jpg

DSCN2226.jpg

Once the paintings were done it was time for the auction. We received an auction book when we got our auction paddles and that’s how I’m going to have all the details about the auction items. The only thing I did was write down the prices and take pictures.

The first lot up was a Personal Check signed by Walt Disney framed with a picture of Walt with Mickey Mouse. It was from March of 1941. The estimated value according to the brochure is $3,000-4,000. As you will see the prices in the brochure have no bearing on what the items end up selling for. This item sold for $3750.

DSCN2227.jpg

Lot #2 was a surprise, and it was one of the paintings from David Garibaldi. I didn’t take a picture (since I already had one) so I don’t remember which painting it was. I know it wasn’t the Cheshire Cat, so I’m going to guess I was Cruella. It sold for $3,000.

Lot #3 was a World of Color Behind-the-Scenes Tour and Napa Rose Dinner for Two. The estimated value on this experience was $2,000. It sold for $4500.

DSCN2228.jpg

Lot #4 was a Mickey Mouse – Pook-a-Looz Mosaic Sculpture that was debuted at the D23 Expo in 2009 in the Disney Consumer Products Pavilion. It was estimated at $3,000-4,000. I thought it was ugly. Evidently most people did too because it only sold for $2,000.

DSCN2229.jpg

Lot #5 was the Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum figures. These guys were in the World of Disney store at WDW. They sold for $3500

DSCN1989.jpg

DSCN2230.jpg

Lot #6 was Called Walt Disney’s Hollywood. It included a visit with the Director of the Archives, Becky Cline and Dave Smith, Director Emeritus and Disney Legend. The tour will take place in Hollywood, Glendale and Burbank, the site of the first studio on Kingswell Avenue, the second studio on Hyperion, and the Burbank studio. It also includes a trip to Walt’s homes, the Barn, the Tam O’Shanter and the Merry Go Round where he watched his girls play and dreamed up Disneyland. Estimated value on this was $4,000. This went for $7,000.

DSCN2232.jpg

Lot #7 was this Pirates of the Caribbean promotional piece from the Premiere on May 7th at the Disneyland Resort. Estimated value for this was $2,000-3,000. This went for $2500

DSCN2234.jpg

DSCN1987.jpg

More auctions to come later!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter