• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

my thyroid kid

Whosemom

DIS Veteran
Yikes! last test my 8yo's tsh was 196. The dr said, "how odd that she is showing no symptoms, oh well, move up her dose a little." This dr keeps saying mood is not a symptom. Could you please share frankly with me how you feel when you need a higher dose? Am I imagining things? She just cries at the drop of a hat. How is it that on the one hand you read that people used to be thought mentally ill because of their thyroid-problem-induced behavior, and on the other hand drs that say it has nothing to do with it???

I can't give any info on the thyroid part of it, but I can tell you this. When my daughter was 10, I thought she was clincally depressed, she was so emotional, cried at the top of a hat, etc. I took her to the doctor and he told me she was probably starting puberty. He did run a thyroid test just to be sure, and it came back normal. 6 months later, she got her period and her mood swings leveled out some. Trust me, she is 14 and is still moody as all get out, but it has gotten better and I have learned to deal with "this rough time".

I am not saying that it isn't her thyroid, I am just letting you know that puberty can start at 10 years old. Good luck, I wish the best for you and your daughter.

I don't have a thyroid because it was removed due to thyroid cancer. But I have had the ups and downs with my medicine when my TSH is off. One thing your daughter is growing and might need for Thyroid Supplement. Mood Swings difinately are a part of the problems. With a TSH of 196 I can see why she would cry with the drop of a hat.
Is she seeing an Endocrinologist?

I agree with the previous poster, if she is not seeing an endocrinologist, she needs to.

I am sorry she is going through this, my daughter has no thyroid due to thyroid cancer as well.. when her levels are off...her mood can be as well.

A friend of mine was depressed for years. She refused to see a doctor for a while (she had some unhealthy habits didn't want to pay a huge sum just to be chastised). When her mom got new insurance, and she could go for a low rate- she discovered she had an underactive thyroid. After treatment, her depression cleared up. It was her main symptom. Sorry I can't offer personal experience with thyroid problems, but I do have some college-level physiology and psychology classes under my belt.

According to what I have learned, mood is a huge symptom of thyroid problems. That was one of the first thing we learned about the thyroid! One of my physio teachers (an MD) had had an overactive thyroid in college, and was practicaly manic!

I hope your DD feels better soon. Sending prayers (for the doc to come to his senses, and for her physical and emotional health) and good wishes your way.
-Alisa

Thanks! Sometimes when the "experts" say "pshaw" its nice to talk to real people:goodvibes

The endocrenologist is the one who says the mood problems can't be related. What a dingbat. She also says it doesn't matter if or what she eats with her pill, while all other sources say that is paramount to a good outcome. This dr is at a well thought of childrens hospital, and there is no one comparable around.

Thanks! Sometimes when the "experts" say "pshaw" its nice to talk to real people:goodvibes

The endocrenologist is the one who says the mood problems can't be related. What a dingbat. She also says it doesn't matter if or what she eats with her pill, while all other sources say that is paramount to a good outcome. This dr is at a well thought of childrens hospital, and there is no one comparable around.

Allot of Endocrinologist have a better understanding of diabettes than they do Thyroid Problems.

Hopefully they can get her adjusted and she will feel better.

Things to look for if her meds are off.

Is she having a hard time in School because than can be from not being able to concentrate.

Loss of Appetite

and Irritability

These are hard things adults go through. It is even harder when you have to watch your child go through it.

Hugs!

Gail

I have been on synthroid snce i was 15--ill be 23 next month.. i tend to have major mood swings when my levels are off....gonig through that now! haha

My mom had Thyroid problems (overactive), and her emotional state was definitely one of the symptoms. She was never emotional like that, and we were so baffled before her diagnosis. I can't believe any doctor that knew anything about Thyroid issues would say it wasn't related. :confused:

I have been on synthroid snce i was 15--ill be 23 next month.. i tend to have major mood swings when my levels are off....gonig through that now! haha

My mom had Thyroid problems (overactive), and her emotional state was definitely one of the symptoms. She was never emotional like that, and we were so baffled before her diagnosis. I can't believe any doctor that knew anything about Thyroid issues would say it wasn't related.

See, that's what I thought. We originally went to the dr because I thought she was depressed anyway. I didn't know about this huge other list of symptoms that we looked at afterward going "yep, yep, yep." I guess as long as I am aware of it, and train her to be aware of it, it won't matter much if the dr is. When she gets to be older I'll tell her she just has work around it.

I am tired of fighting to get drs to listen to me.

I am tired of fighting to get drs to listen to me.

On another thyroid board I used to go to, this was a VERY common problem!

Many doctors only treat by the "numbers" they don't treat the person. The "range" of TSH (and T3 and T4) values should indicate that a specific number may work for one person, but not another.

I'm very lucky that my PCP (who actually is a PA) listens to me and what I'm dealing with in addition to looking at the number.

The best thing you can do is be knowledgeable. Arm yourself with information and ask the doctor about the information you find. I have printed stuff off the internet (you have to find reputable sources) and shown my doctor...it has helped!

And, bottom line, if you feel your doctor isn't listening to YOU, find another doctor!

And, bottom line, if you feel your doctor isn't listening to YOU, find another doctor!
I'd love to do this, but we had to wait 3 months for even an initial appointment when DDs TSH was 103, so triage-wise fairly needy. I guess maybe not compared to a child with diabetes, but still... Anyway, there don't seem to be many pediatric endo docs around, and I feel with all the growth and development issues tangled in here, that its probably important for the doc to have that background. Frustrating.

I'd love to do this, but we had to wait 3 months for even an initial appointment when DDs TSH was 103, so triage-wise fairly needy. I guess maybe not compared to a child with diabetes, but still... Anyway, there don't seem to be many pediatric endo docs around, and I feel with all the growth and development issues tangled in here, that its probably important for the doc to have that background. Frustrating.

Try Checking this website www dot thyroid dot org

This is an organization of Thyroid Doctors they are endocrinologists but they specialize in Thyroid.

Gail

Are there any large Children's hospitals near you at all where you can go for a consult or a second opinion?

That's where we are. I guess I don't really need a second opinion as such. Since the numbers agree with what I see, she is getting treated. (3 weeks on the new dose and things are :thumbsup2 ) It would be nice to feel like the dr cared and listened. Actually, we are supposed to see the nurse practitioner every-other visit, and she did act like she cared, but still acted like mood had nothing to do with it.

I may check that thyroid board. Thanks, auntie11.

That's where we are. I guess I don't really need a second opinion as such. Since the numbers agree with what I see, she is getting treated. (3 weeks on the new dose and things are :thumbsup2 ) It would be nice to feel like the dr cared and listened. Actually, we are supposed to see the nurse practitioner every-other visit, and she did act like she cared, but still acted like mood had nothing to do with it.

I may check that thyroid board. Thanks, auntie11.

You might also want to cross reference with top doc website. If you put top doc in the search engine it should take you to the website. These are reviews done by Thyroid Patients themselves. the thyroid dot org are Phycisian that specialize in thyroid in some form.

I was just on the Armour Website this is a natural Thyroid Homone that allot of docs don't like to give. They have a section that show the docs that prescribe it. It is interesting that allot of Psychatrists prescribe it.

You definately need to find an endo that cares for your little girl. But that is great that you are seeing improvements.

Gail

On another thyroid board I used to go to, this was a VERY common problem!

Many doctors only treat by the "numbers" they don't treat the person. The "\

This happened to me wth a few different endocrinologists...I have been told i am an "atypical " case ...I can definitely feel when my levels are off... was told by one dr that i was making things up--i was 17 and felt low--she told me it was in my head...

even now, i cant fnd a decent endo so i am using my primary dr who asks me how i am feeling and listens to me....if i tell her im low--she changes my meds and sees if i feel better....ive been doing this for 8 years, i know when i feel different!

It says in the Synthroid info packet to take on an empty stomach and wait at least 30 minutes before eating. And to have no calcium for four hours I believe.... So it would matter what you eat around the time to you take the pill.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter