My Thoughts on YOAMD

Madi100

DIS Veteran
My husband and I just returned from Walt Disney World. We spent 8 WONDERFUL days together. This trip we left our two girls at home and enjoyed a trip for just Mom and Dad. They will be going in January of 2008, so they are both fine and won't need any type of therapy because they were not taken. We are DVC members and stayed at our DVC resort for the first time. We loved it.

Every experience we had was wonderful except for YOAMD. I knew this promotion was going on. I had read about it before we went. Therefore, as I was walking around WDW and I saw people with lanyards, ears, and fastpasses I knew exactly what they were from. And, I never got any of them. I'm not big on the ears, so I would have been fine without those. We had no problems waiting in line for things, because there wasn't much of a wait. But, my girls love to trade pins, and I would have loved to have been able to take one of those lanyards home to them. And, I think a lot of the people who won those lanyards could care less about them. Most of them dont' really know that they are limited things that will only be available for a short time.

We've been to WDW several times. We will be going back in December of 2007. But, I really felt like there was a party, and I wasn't invited to it. We had a magical time and no where in my scrapbook am I going to put that we were bummed that we didn't get anything, but while we were there, I knew it.

We had some friends that planned a once in a lifetime trip. They have five kids, three are foster kids that they adopted. I helped her plan her trip, and when we last saw them they were having a magical time. They arrived two days before we left, and when we met up with them for the first time, they had on the lanyards that they had gotten their first day. They also got to wake up Crush. They were also asked to be in the parade. Every time I talked to her something new had happened. I was so happy for them. How magical for them. If I had to chose between something happening to me and something happening to them, I'd pick them.

I can't wait until they go back to the way it was when they did the magical things just because and not because it was good advertising.

The way I see it, Disney is always going to "celebrate" something. Most times, if they can't tie it into some date like an anniversary, or Mickey's birthday, or Walt's birthday, they make up something. It seems like they have to have some special promotion, and I am at the point- being DVC members, too, and this was my 11th trip in the last 16 years- I sort of ignore the whole thing.

At home, we have a local store that has "the best sale ever" at least 6 times a year, and we laugh at the commercials. That's the way I feel about the way Disney promotes it's events. I just wait to see what they will do next. I am glad your friends got some magical memories, sorry you didn't. Maybe next time.

I was wondering if childless couples were receiving any of the extra magic from YOAMD or if they were bring overlooked for the kids. I get the feeling that because you left the kids at home, you didn't receive the extra magic.

Hubby and I don't have kids and I can't tell you how often we are overlooked for things like this because of that fact. At the ballpark where we have season tickets (and where I've had those season tickets for almost 20 years now), we are always passed over for any special events because we are not a "family".

I'm not trying to take anything away from kids, but why should we be made to feel less special because we don't have kids. There are a million reasons why we may not have children, and that is strictly our business, but being overlooked at events such as this because we don't (or can't) just makes us feel like we don't count.

kelleigh1 said:
I was wondering if childless couples were receiving any of the extra magic from YOAMD or if they were bring overlooked for the kids. I get the feeling that because you left the kids at home, you didn't receive the extra magic.

Hubby and I don't have kids and I can't tell you how often we are overlooked for things like this because of that fact. At the ballpark where we have season tickets (and where I've had those season tickets for almost 20 years now), we are always passed over for any special events because we are not a "family".

I'm not trying to take anything away from kids, but why should we be made to feel less special because we don't have kids. There are a million reasons why we may not have children, and that is strictly our business, but being overlooked at events such as this because we don't (or can't) just makes us feel like we don't count.

In their defense, we did talk to a couple that was chosen to be in the parade, and it was just a couple. They had no kids with them. We had so much happen to us the last time when we did have our kids. But, I felt left out of this celebration. I don't know if it hurt our "chances" that we didn't bring the kids or not. We still had a wonderful time and that won't be ruined.

For the most part what I can figure out about the lanyards and ears is that they are given to a whole group of people at a time, they are not just choosing random families etc from the crowds.

DD and I got lanyards on Saturday in Innoventions while she was playing the robot game. She was also in line for Test Track later that day, and was just behind a group of folks that got them.

Someone in another post mentioned that the locations for these give aways is done by the computer and the "dream team" (or dream catchers as Tara calls them) do not know where they are headed for the next give away until 15 min before.

We felt very fortunate to get the lanyards, and I would LOVE to have a set of ears, but it really is just about being in the right place at the right time for these things.

Other dreams like Grand Marshalls of the parades etc, that is done on a family basis, and as DD says she never gets picked for anything and we are in the parks almost every weekend!

kelleigh1 said:

We have 3 kids, have been 11 times, many during the "celebrations" and not ever been given anything. Of course, we rarely win anything, but still, it would be nice to be chosen once for something.

Glad to hear that Disney doesn't seem to be following the "for kids only" route. I wouldn't stop going there, but at least from these responses it seems that they get that kids of all ages visit the parks and love to participate.

Hubby and I had a great time last year and can't wait to go next year. We are definitely "kids" when we are there.

My boyfriend and I got a wish. We got the pin and lanyards, and it wasn't just her and I, they basically came into the pre-show room in tower, and gave it to everyone in it. I am actually not sure if there were any families there at all...

I do sympathize with the "not invited to the party" feeling. We had a decidedly un-magical time on our trip in November. My dh (who is the major Disney freak in our family) ended up sitting outside the park one day because he left his ticket in guest relations the previous day after he was sent there to retrieve a hat that came off during Primeval Whirl. Yes, his name was on the ticket, but they couldn't find it (and they never found the hat, either).

It was our last day, thank goodness, but we only had enough money on us to buy him a one park ticket, not a hopper. So he bought a ticktet for Studios because our dinner ressies were there. I was already in the MK with the kids (while he was at GS trying to work everything out) but they wouldn't even let him in to retrieve me. He sat outside until I came out looking for him. In fact, two CM even hassled him about waiting for a cab elsewhere (he wanted to be where we could see him).

Anyway, it broke my heart that this dear man and huge Disney fanatic didn't get a bit of the magic. In fact, he was treated badly - even though he had found and turned in a total of five tickets during our trip (two found in a fast pass machine, three on a counter).

But he's a trooper. We're going away for a long weekend to celebrate our anniversary, and guess where he wants to go?

Too many people are going in with high expectations for something and they are so high that they inevitably crash down when their expectations are not met. For most guests, there is no expectation and they are twice as excited as the people who did expect something.

Vemnox said:
Too many people are going in with high expectations for something and they are so high that they inevitably crash down when their expectations are not met. For most guests, there is no expectation and they are twice as excited as the people who did expect something.

I agree. We went not expecting anything and were lucky to get the lanyards. We were "chosen" getting off Rio del Tiempo along with some others for about a ten minute time frame. The"selection process" was getting on the ride and being given a "dream" when you got off, not very selective in my opinion. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to the location. It was quite comical to see people following individual members of the dream team walking around the parks. If you go expecting something you are sure to be upset.

sticker231 said:
I agree. We went not expecting anything and were lucky to get the lanyards. We were "chosen" getting off Rio del Tiempo along with some others for about a ten minute time frame. The"selection process" was getting on the ride and being given a "dream" when you got off, not very selective in my opinion. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to the location. It was quite comical to see people following individual members of the dream team walking around the parks. If you go expecting something you are sure to be upset.

I wasn't expecting anything. I really truly wasn't. It was just the fact that I knew it was there and that bothered me more than I thought it would. Maybe we should never go without our kids again, but it seemed like all of the magic Disney sent our way didn't happen on this trip - it was reserved for the attention of Year of A Million Dreams. I was thinking that with this celebration that we would be exposed to all sorts of "magical happenings". Not that I'd win, but that I'd at least see them. I saw NOTHING.

Madi100 said:
I wasn't expecting anything. I really truly wasn't. It was just the fact that I knew it was there and that bothered me more than I thought it would. Maybe we should never go without our kids again, but it seemed like all of the magic Disney sent our way didn't happen on this trip - it was reserved for the attention of Year of A Million Dreams. I was thinking that with this celebration that we would be exposed to all sorts of "magical happenings". Not that I'd win, but that I'd at least see them. I saw NOTHING.

See, but by what you're saying, you inadvertently formed expectations without you knowing.

I just returned on Saturday, we spent a week at the WDW w/ ds10 and ds13, THEY were the ones who were disapointed, not me. Did we really need fastpasses, no, the lines were really short last week. Would they have worn the hat if they even received it? probably not after an hour or so. But they are children and they did see others receiving things.

We did have great vacation. I purposely took them out of school so they could have a nice uncrowded week at WDW.

I just returned on Saturday, we spent a week at the WDW w/ ds10 and ds13, THEY were the ones who were disapointed, not me. Did we really need fastpasses, no, the lines were really short last week. Would they have worn the hat if they even received it? probably not after an hour or so. But they are children and they did see others receiving things.

We did have great vacation. I purposely took them out of school so they could have a nice uncrowded week at WDW.

But would they have known about it before or did you tell them it was going on and they had a chance to win?

I didn't even know about YOAMD until I discovered these boards a few days ago. I'm glad these prizes are given out randomly and not by personal selection by looking at people since there are no small children in my group. I (20) am going in February with my Grandma and brother (16) so it's nice to know we still have a chance at getting something even though we aren't cute little five year olds :laughing: Everyone deserves some "magic", no matter what age.

I really am not expecting to get a prize or anything just cause I never have that kind of luck:) but I am just going to have fun visting Disney again and going to Mardi Gras at Universal.....so excited!!

We have decided to not tell the grandkids about yomd and if it happens it happens and if not no disappointments. We are going in June.

You can win prizes by sending in post cards. It seems almost all of us who sent in post cards on the DIS, received the ears or the laynard with 2 pins. I only sent in about 10 post cards since October, so maybe invest $5.00 and go buy some post cards at the post office. Maybe you can win the laynard yet for your next trip or maybe even something bigger.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter