My thoughts on touring plans

mshanson3121

DIS Veteran
So, now that our trip is over I thought I'd share my thoughts on TPs. Before leaving I was more or less told that the only way to have a successful trip in the summer is to use touring plans. I now realize that all depends on your definition of successful - if your goal is to do it all, no matter what, then yes, they're necessary.

But otherwise, don't worry about them. In hindsight all that was really needed was to look at a map of the park and see what you want to do. IMO the best plan is to have 3 days at MK, and do rope drop all three days- one day for each area: Adventure/Frontierland, Fantasyland and Tomorrowland. Get the major rides done first, and then - just follow your children's lead.

I spent countless hours working on touring plans. And it was a waste. Not once did one day go to plan. One day the kids cared far more about meeting characters than rides. Another day, they cared more about rides.

One day when I was trying to follow our touring plan, my 8 year old said, "Mom, why do you have to plan everything?" I never looked at it again after that.

And it was great. Our trip was so much better than my plans. We did meet and greets we would have otherwise missed. We had fun moments that were unplanned because we weren't worried about following a schedule - like my kids sword fighting with the royal trainers. or having magic shots done by the photographers. Like trying the sword in the stone - several times, lol.

Sometimes Mother Nature interfered. When we should have been watching MSEP, we were instead huddling on a porch hiding out during a storm. Our daughter painted all our finger and toenails with silver sparkles - yup, my husband's included. That is a priceless Disney memory.

So... Don't worry about the touring plans too much. Don't waste too much time on them. Your best plan is to let your children lead the trip.

The extent of my planning is making 3 FP per day and a few ADR's for the trip. We like to be flexible, so I plan what park we will be in each day and where we will hop, but don't plan every minute out.

That is what I do too. The thought of having the entire day planned out stresses me. I like to go with the flow instead.

It depends on your group though! I'm going with a group of 13 people, including a family of 7 first-timers, and I do feel that they need a pretty clear plan, at least for the first few days. It's easy to lose precious minutes wondering where to go next, or trying to make a decision that will please everyone.

Sounds like you had a great trip!!

I will say that I love having a touring plan. I would not be able to enjoy myself without it. I'm still very flexible, but I need to at least start with a plan of attack. Without a plan we don't get much done, we seem to get a bit lost. lol I think everybody is different in what works for them.

Good for you and glad you had fun. We are not planners, while I may make 3 FP we rarely use all 3, we don't make ADRs until a few hours before we decide to eat. We just go to GS and ask what they have, the good thing about PH is it doesn't matter what park they are in. We've always had a great trip doing it this way.

Good for you and glad you had fun. We are not planners, while I may make 3 FP we rarely use all 3, we don't make ADRs until a few hours before we decide to eat. We just go to GS and ask what they have, the good thing about PH is it doesn't matter what park they are in. We've always had a great trip doing it this way.

Yeah, we only used about half the FP that we made.

OP I agree completely. The first time I went to Disney World (less then a month ago) I just made FP+ for 3 things and some ADRs. I didn't care one bit about trying to do everything or anything for that matter. I mean I ended up riding Haunted Mansion 12ish times because I loved it so much. First day at Epcot, completely lost and overwhelmed. I just escaped to World Showcase and had some unplanned movies, shopping and lunch and it was fantastic.

My plans will now consist of just the FP+ I want, the ADRs and general ideas of where I want to go and what I want to do. I could not imagine having a step-by-step touring plan. But to each their own and I would rather everyone have a great trip doing it their way instead of us all being the same.

I have never used TP and I've never planned beyond FP's, ADR's, and usually what ride we're going to first when we get to a park. I know what we want to do in a day and if we do it all, great; if we do different things, great! I do love to plan but could never have a down to the minute schedule like some people (but if that's how you like it, more power to you :thumbsup2) I'm just so happy that you guys enjoyed your trip!

I like to go in with a plan and then modify it if needed. We are also not subject to the whims of children since we are two adults so it's a little easier for us. I think the big thing is since you did all your research and made your plans, you had the knowledge and ability to change and adapt when you got there. For me, that is different than if a person goes in without doing any homework before hand and they are a first timer and tries to just go in and blindly wing it when it's a peak time.

The beat laid plans of mice and men often go awry. I appaud you for following your kids' leads. That is what makes magical memories. Still, as a planner, I love knowing where the nearest bathroom or pbj meal or cool indoor show is located.... to make it all work out. Those on these boards are like an extension of the CMs who make it all magical! Take a bow, because no one outside will know how much your planning makes spontinaety more possible.

I like having a plan, but I don't mind making changes as long as the benefit of the change (experiencing something spontaneous) is worth the cost (missing an attraction that was on the original plan, or less time to swim in the pool, etc.)

Reactions: lwc
Has anyone used the touring plan app? Fricken Amazing! Best of both worlds, flexible and planning all in one.

I really like the app too. Seems a lot easier to use than the Disney app.

I like having a plan. We are ride people, so the more the merrier. We tend to go commando in the morning and meander in the evening.

Different strokes for different folks. Some people (my family included) prefer a reasonable plan that is not so regimented that it doesn't allow for any flexibility. A touring plan does not necessarily mean that you can't change things up on the fly. But it does give you a starting point and a basis for weighing the merits of any change.

Others prefer something much less structured. I would never try to suggest that there is only one right way to tour the parks. Nor would I tell people that they should allow their children be the sole determinators of a family vacation. Each family should do what works best for them.

I have not used Touring Plans -- I prefer the strategies tried and tested at EasyWDW. I don't think I'd care for an app telling me what to do all day. We normally plan this:

- Which park to visit on a particular day
- ADR, if any
- 4-6 rides to hit at RD
- FP+ for the afternoon
- that's it. The rest of the day is open for whatever we want to do.

By doing those simple things, we've experienced the best rides, have no worries about where we are eating, and have plenty of time to freestyle. Someone mentioned it already, but with a big group (or maybe just our group!) you can't really stop and debate everything or you get nothing done and everyone is unhappy.

We have found a nice balance that works for us. Everyone has their own idea of fun and should plan accordingly.

I think the obsession with talk about Disney plans comes from two things:
-- People are excited about their trip and/or like to plan things.
-- Many people are unaware of how busy the parks are and what is/isn't possible without planning.

There's no wrong or right answer out there though. People just need to be aware of all the options.

It depends on your group though! I'm going with a group of 13 people, including a family of 7 first-timers, and I do feel that they need a pretty clear plan, at least for the first few days. It's easy to lose precious minutes wondering where to go next, or trying to make a decision that will please everyone.
Totally agree that for large groups a plan is a must - at least everyone is on the same page. However I agree about being flexible and following the kids lead, after all they are the ones we are trying to make the magical memories for. Glad you had a great trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter