My thoughts on the LEGOLAND Hotel

atmail35

Mouseketeer
I just got back last week from 2 nights at the LEGOLAND Hotel and I thought I'd share my experience.

We had just come from 3 nights at Disneyland so that might impact some of my feelings. I've decided that you cannot compare LEGOLAND to Disney. We checked into the hotel around 5PM. The bellman took our bags and was super nice. I walked into the lobby of the hotel with my 8-year-old daughter and she was in awe. I was surprised how loud and unruly the kids were. It seemed like there were dozens of children running around unattended by their parents. There was a big pit of LEGO bricks and children were walking all over them with their shoes, which seemed sacrilegious! It just was very loud and kind of crazy. I have stayed at several Disney World and also at Disneyland Resort hotels and have never experienced anything like this with kids running around unattended or with parents who were not watching their kids. :confused3

I approached the desk to check-in. The woman was nice and polite. She made us our room keys and gave an explanation of the benefits. We could enter the park at 9:00 through a special entrance, by passing other non-hotel staying park goers. The gates open at 9:30 and some of the rides do not start until 10.

The minifigure display behind the desk was quite a site.

2013-08-03 LEGOLAND Hotel 106 by atmail35, on Flickr

There is a small shop in the lobby that is open 24-hours. There is a bar area, Bricks Family Restaurant (buffet) and also a smaller eating area. There is a large castle structure for the kids to play on. There also is a pool, but we did not have time to enjoy the pool.

2013-08-03 LEGOLAND Hotel 111 by atmail35, on Flickr

The lobby theming and décor is great.

SPOILER ALERT: in white font, highlight to see.

The elevator was a blast. It is a disco elevator and when you first go in it plays elevator music, then when the doors close the disco ball lights up and it plays disco music (YMCA, Dancing Queen and others). It is quite a fun time. If you are in a hurry, just take the stairs as there are always people waiting for the elevator. The hotel is only 3 stories high.

In case you prefer a certain floor:
1st floor is Kingdoms
2nd Floor is Pirates
3rd floor is Adventure

Our Premium Pirate Themed Room. My daughter wanted a pirate themed room. I decided to go with the Premium room. I dont think the room is that different than the regular room, additional curtains, the door has a design on the front, themed wallpaper (which was very busy) and maybe more models. Not 100% sure if it was worth the bump in price, but it was pretty cool!

Our room was the room furthest away from the lobby. It was quiet at night, but difficult if you needed something from your room! We were overlooking that parking lot. I dont think the rooms have great views either on the front or back of the hotel.

The room was great. We loved the kids area with bunk beds and a trundle. The kids have their own TV. It would be nice if there was a curtain, but my daughter was so tired our TV did not bother her. Our room had lots of models&those were fun. Some were very dusty though, they should probably clean them!

2013-08-01 LEGOLAND Hotel 024 by atmail35, on Flickr

2013-08-01 LEGOLAND Hotel 009 by atmail35, on Flickr

2013-08-01 LEGOLAND Hotel 006 by atmail35, on Flickr

Some kid friendly features:
Lower peep hole in door, which by the way I had to use myself as even on tippy toes, I could not reach the taller peep hole (I am 5'1"). :rotfl2:
Step stool in the bathroom, which is a step up from Disney as they never provide a step stool.
Built-in potty seat for little ones (flips down from the lid).
Shower has a removable handheld showerhead, great for rinsing off your kid's hair.
LEGO bricks in the room to play with, it was a blue brick box, but it was a bunch of random parts, not the actual set&we didnt even use it.

Other features:
We were left 2 bottles of water and 2 juice pouches each night (complimentary) and there is a small fridge in the room.
Decent TV stations.
Bathroom was a decent size.
Coffee Machine in room

CONS:
No pen in the room
The bathroom door is of the sliding variety and has no lock on it.
The rug is very busy and hard to find dropped items.

Overall:
The room was very clean and in decent shape. Although the hotel just opened in April, there was some damage to the bathroom door and furniture (dings and such).

Hallway...

2013-08-03 LEGOLAND Hotel 094 by atmail35, on Flickr

SPOILER Kids Gift/Treasure Hunt: in white font.
The gift in the safe was two Series 10 minifigures and a bag of chocolate coins. Keep in mind this is the gift for TWO kids. My daughter was told she was lucky that she got to keep both gifts. Kids have to do a scavenger hunt to find out the code to the safe. I thought the prize was a bit lacking as you pay a $20 per day resort fee which they say includes the cost of the prizes, but that is only $6-7 and we didnt use the pool. They do have entertainment in the lobby (magician, costumed characters). The resort fee also includes wifi and they do have a nightly building contest. Personally I think they should do away with the resort fee and just include everything in the room price.

BRICKS RESTAURANT:
We did eat at Bricks for breakfast on the two mornings. I had called the LEGOLAND Hotel to follow up on my reservation. The person taking the call offered me 3 vouchers (2 adult and 1 child) for the Bricks Family Restaurant at the hotel for the breakfast buffet. Seemed like a good deal so I bought it for 2 days. The normal price for the buffet is $16.95 for adults, $8.50 for kids (Edited, found the actual prices). I would not have paid that price, but for $20, plus a tip for the three of us we were happy. The only glitch was that when I checked in, they gave me 1 adult and 1 child. I said that I was told it was for 2 adults and 1 child and she gave me the third pass. The website says 1 adult and 2 children, but I specifically asked when I was booking it and the guy on the phone said it didnt matter.

The restaurant is very loud. The food was decent. They had cold cereal, oatmeal, pastries, toast/English muffins/bagels (lox too). There was a variety of fresh fruit, yogurt. The hot buffet had breakfast meats, pancakes, scrambled eggs, French toast and waffles. You could have an omelet made to order. I think there were biscuits and gravy. Juices, milk, coffee, tea.

You can eat outside, but I saw a huge crow carry off someones bacon. The service is so so, the server brings you coffee, but we had to flag her down for refills. The second day the floor underneath our table had bacon and other food on it.

One day a jester came by and did some magic. The second day a princess came by.

Overall we were happy as it was fairly quick and the food was fine. The restaurant has lots of cool LEGO models, but you dont have to eat there to see them. Dinner is $19.95 adult/$10 child.

I can try to post some thoughts about the park another day.

Feel free to ask any question and I'm happy to try and answer.

thanks so much for posting about your stay!!!
I have been waiting for someone to give a review of their experience.

I do have a couple of questions -
  • the parks seem to close pretty early ... what did they offer to do at night?
  • can you please tell me more about the nightly building contest? Sounds like something my kiddo would love.
  • is there an arcade/game room? is it the kind where the kids collect tickets and trade them in for little prizes?
  • did you eat dinner at the hotel?
  • what rides were open early for you at legoland as a resort guest?

your experience at the breakfast buffet sounds a little iffy ... I am on the fence about eating there for breakfast or dinner. We probably will ... just because its convenient, but how was the quality of the food?

We are headed there in November and spending two night before we drive up to Disneyland ... we have been to Legoland before they built the hotel and I know my son will just be in love with the idea of a hotel "made" of legos!!!

thanks again for your report and any additional thoughts you have that might help us.
thanks!

thanks so much for posting about your stay!!!
I have been waiting for someone to give a review of their experience.

I do have a couple of questions -
  • the parks seem to close pretty early ... what did they offer to do at night?
  • can you please tell me more about the nightly building contest? Sounds like something my kiddo would love.
  • is there an arcade/game room? is it the kind where the kids collect tickets and trade them in for little prizes?
  • did you eat dinner at the hotel?
  • what rides were open early for you at legoland as a resort guest?

your experience at the breakfast buffet sounds a little iffy ... I am on the fence about eating there for breakfast or dinner. We probably will ... just because its convenient, but how was the quality of the food?

We are headed there in November and spending two night before we drive up to Disneyland ... we have been to Legoland before they built the hotel and I know my son will just be in love with the idea of a hotel "made" of legos!!!

thanks again for your report and any additional thoughts you have that might help us.
thanks!

Food - we only ate breakfast at the hotel. I thought the food quality was fine. The oatmeal was really yummy. The bacon/sausage and waffles were a hit with my daughter. It was decent quality, IMO. No worse than Chef Mickey's...but no Mickey Shaped waffles. :rotfl2: There were only 3 cold cereal choices though (fruit loops, chex and corn flakes?). They had a smoothie bar, which my daughter loved. The food presentation is not as nice as Chef Mickey's but the dining room is fun (lots of models). For us the price was right.

[*]the parks seem to close pretty early ... what did they offer to do at night?

I have posted a photo of the Hotel Guide. Keep in mind this was for AUGUST, things may be different in Off-Season months.

LEGOLAND Hotel Guide by atmail35, on Flickr

They have various entertainment items:

6PM Hero Training
7PM Model Build Competition
8PM Kids Improv Hour
8:30 Movie at the pool
3-7 Character Meet and Greet in the lobby

We did not really have time to do these, so I can't speak on the quality of them. IMO, it was chilly to be in the pool at night. The temps really seem to drop, we did not use the pool due to temps and time.

[*]can you please tell me more about the nightly building contest? Sounds like something my kiddo would love.

We didn't do this, but there is a theme each month. Look for the calendar outside the elevator on the ground floor. Kids build a model and bring it to the Castle by 6:45PM. Judging is at 7. I think the "Jester" we saw at breakfast is involved in the judging. They do advertise a small prize for the winner. You are supposed to use bricks from your room (in the bucket) or the "pit".

[*]is there an arcade/game room? is it the kind where the kids collect tickets and trade them in for little prizes?

I do not believe so, we did not see one (or one advertised).
They do have those horrible carnival games at the park, where you spend $20 to win a $2 stuffed animal! :laughing:

[*]did you eat dinner at the hotel?

We ate off site both times as my sister who lives in SD came to meet us. Both were Mexican and very good, I can post infor if you want. It was only a 15 minute drive to each.

[*]what rides were open early for you at legoland as a resort guest?

Safari Trek, Coastersaurus, Fairy Tale Brook, LEGO Express, Sky Cruiser, and Kid Power Tower.

We did Coastersaurus, Safari Trek, Sky Cruiser and Power Tower before 10.

DD loved all of them. She rode Coastersaurus again that afternoon. The Safari Trek is fun because the LEGO built animals are cool. Sky Cruiser had formed a VERY long line when we left (1.5 hours is what they said) so definitely do that early.

thank you so much for the additional details! its really helping me shape our plans.

last year while we were there we ate at a Mexican place called "Casa de Bandini." was that one of your restaurants? I think we will go back there as my husband LOVED it, but I would be interested to know some other Mexican options nearby.

thanks again!
-- Nancy

thank you so much for the additional details! its really helping me shape our plans.

last year while we were there we ate at a Mexican place called "Casa de Bandini." was that one of your restaurants? I think we will go back there as my husband LOVED it, but I would be interested to know some other Mexican options nearby.

thanks again!
-- Nancy

Yes, that was it! Fabulous food really...and awesome margaritas! :thumbsup2

The other place was Pollos Maria, 3055 Harding St Carlsbad CA. It is a small place and it seems like you are going to some guys house for dinner. They have some outdoor seating. You order at a counter and get your own seat. The food was yummy though, but not as nice atmosphere-wise as Casa de Bandini.

Have a great time. I have some more to say about shopping at LEGOLAND and will give some other tips as soon as I have a few more minutes....

I found that many items were selling for over MSRP. I recommend checking prices on LEGO.com or bringing a Lego Store catalog with you. LEGOLAND is run by a 3rd party and NOT the LEGO Group. You may find your local LEGO Store or Target/Walmart to have cheaper prices. You cannot earn LEGO Store VIP points at LEGOLAND.

People have said that LEGOLAND sometimes has discontinued sets at retail price, which could be a good way to pick up something you cannot elsewhere. I did see some older key chains on sale.

I only bought items that seemed exclusive to LEGOLAND (magnet, key chains, they had t-shirts and other apparel) as I lacked luggage space and also knew I could find many things cheaper at home.

At the LEGO Club Store, you can buy bricks by the pound. It works out to $40 a pound so IMO, it is not a great deal. The minimum was something like 40 cents so you can just buy a little. They do engrave key chains at this store. The brick key chains are $5.99 ($1 over regular retail) and engraving is $2 a brick. I thought they make a nice souvenir or gift.

We were there in August for 2 nights. We ate dinner at Bricks and really enjoyed it. Great variety of food, all cooked fresh. Service was hit and miss (one might we had a very attentive server, the next night, not so much).
My just turned 7 year old twins did the Hero training and my girl loved it. My son liked the dancing warm up but then preferred to play with the Legos.
We did not do the outdoor movie. It was a bit cool when we were there and my kids were more excited about being in the bunk beds and controlling their own tv.

How many days would you suggest at Legoland? I have a 13 yo son... is he too old?

Looking at 8 days in SOCAL with 5 at Disney.

Thanks.

Great report.

P

How many days would you suggest at Legoland? I have a 13 yo son... is he too old?

Looking at 8 days in SOCAL with 5 at Disney.

Thanks.

Great report.

P

I kept reading that you can do it in one day. I think we could have used 1.5 days as there were parts we did not get to. My daughter does not have the stamina for staying from opening to close.

People also claim that it is best for the younger kids (10 and under). Does your son love Lego? I think you can get a lot out of looking at the models (we spent a lot of time in Miniland), there also is a Mindstorms thing which would be for older kids and there are rides for the older set, but a lot of the younger rides would probably be too young for your son.

I recommend looking at the website and seeing what he might like.

Good luck!

People also claim that it is best for the younger kids (10 and under). Does your son love Lego? I think you can get a lot out of looking at the models (we spent a lot of time in Miniland), there also is a Mindstorms thing which would be for older kids and there are rides for the older set, but a lot of the younger rides would probably be too young for your son.

Thanks. I can never get him out of the Lego store at the Mall of America.:thumbsup2

Glad i saw this! We plan to do 5 days at DLR and then drive out to CArlsbad to do LEgoland and San DIego Zoo. We did do Legoland once, but didn't stay at the hotel. Honestly, I think this will be our last trip to Legoland since the kids will be outgrowing the rides. Well at least out older one will. So we're considering staying at the LL hotel for 2 days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter