My thoughts on servers and service toward DDP guests (long)

LandBoatRide

Earning My Ears
IMO, bad servers give bad service, good servers give good service. Period. Method of payment is generally irrelevant. (Please don't quote that sentence without reading the rest of this post, lol).

For those worried about service during free dining this month, relax. Most EVERY guest in the restaurants are on DDP now (literally over 95%). It isn't possible for servers to overlook you and focus on guests in which the gratuity is not included, because there are none, lol.

Even if you are on the DDP (regardless of the time of year), there is EVERY incentive for your server to give you good service. 1) It's the right thing to do. 2) No server is immune to guest complaints to a manager for poor service and the reprecussions that follow. 3) DDP guests are sometimes apt to tip over on the gratuity. In other words, a server tries to give really good service to say "yeh, I know my tip is included, but I'll treat you well anyway" with the hopes of getting a bit extra, if even only a couple bucks. 4) DDP guests are often the most pleasant. Many DDPs research the restaurants and menus and are generally excited about their carefully chosen dining experience. This attitude is contagious.

Ultimately, Disney is not Denny's. Disney NEVER struggles to keep their restaurants staffed with servers except in rare circumstances (restaurants with low business, like ALL Star Cafe, for example.) As such, management does not let lousy servers stay on the floor for very long, provided they are made aware of problems by guests. As such, guests have every right to complain when warranted.

Before complaining on a server though, there are several things to consider, IMO. Is their station clearly a nightmare? (like the stories on various threads of difficult large parties, high maintenance tables next to you, language barriers, etc. etc). Is slow service due to server or the kitchen? Are you having to wait because the restaurant assignor sat them 3 other tables at once? Also, how was your attitude when you sat down, attentive and pleasant, or whiny, indifferent to their greeting of you, etc etc. Lastly, is the server just having a bad day in general? Do know that servers do not get a break on the floor -typically go 6 straight hours on the floor holding their pee, stomach growling, on their feet, and most always having half a dozen things to do (table 1 needs 4 drink refills, I have to greet table 2 in the next 60 seconds per disney standards, table three has dessert melting in the kitchen that I have to run get, table 4 needs me to split their check 4 ways and swipe 4 cards, etc etc). Most every other Disney employee gets a scheduled break every 2 hours of their shift.

This will not apply to most people on here, but is another way of looking at things. Before blaming things on poor service, ask yourself if you are a poor guest (we've all seen them, and I've been that person before when having a bad day). Are you generally ready with a drink order, or do you agonize over this monumental decision ( a decision you have faced at EVERY restaurant you ever went to) for minutes while the server clearly gets bogged down waiting on you (or, more often, your children). Just somethin to think about. Again, how is your attitude when the server first greets you? A smile and respect is contagious, as are a frown and rudeness.

Also, I would imagine being a Disney server is tough as far as timing and style of service. "Fine dining" is generally slow paced, but is that what a guest expects at Disney? There is simply no way of knowing if the guest is in a hurry (has a fastpass, wants to see fireworks, etc) or wants a more moderately paced dinner like in the real world. This is important to communicate ("Just to let you know, we have a fastpass in 40 minutes" or "my kids get restless after 30 minutes" or "we are in no hurry tonight, take your time" etc. etc.) A server is not a mind reader, but armed with this info can either speed up dinner or take a more relaxed pace, whatever suits you best. Yes, experienced servers can usually gauge this, but not always. I've read on here guests feel rushed at some places. Is the server rude? Maybe. Or do they expect you'll be jumping up for fireworks in 15 minutes so best to serve the main course now so it doesnt get cold later? Maybe.

In the end, you'll most likely get good service at a Disney restaurant. If not, figure out what the problem is - sevrer or situation? If the server is clearly the problem, then ask to see a manager and express your disappointment. If you prefer anonymity or avoiding confrontation, write a letter. And always express your experiences (good and bad) on boards like this, after all that's what a thread like this is for.

Just my two cents.

I could not agree more with what you wright.

Please lets all keep in mind we are all human beings and no one is perfect.

Amen!

Its Karma: cause and effect, action and reaction.
You create your own destiny... even at a Disney restaurant.

Sorry but I agree and disagree. I should not have to figure out if the server is having a bad day. I just spent a week dining on the so called free dining plan. In that week I only had one really pleasant server. She works part time at Kona and was great. She truely attended to all our needs and anticipated most things. It was the first time I ever tipped over in cash on the dining plan. But she deserved it. My entire group agreed. The other 10 meals the servers were like robots or were just plain. They had no inthusiasm or just seemed rude. Nothing to complain about but certainly nothing to warrant a good tip next year.

You raise some very valid points. Interesting reading and well-written, too - Thanks!

I always wonder what others impressions are and where they come from and one of things I have concluded is that the diner's impression or rating of a server is much the same as any guests estimation of resort or vacation experience in general. It depends on who you are, what your experiences and expectations are and and given time of crowds or other conditions in the restaurant.

We just returned from 10 days pre-FDP (most of my reviews are now up!) never encountered a rude or totally incompetent server at all this trip. Was service too speedy? Sometimes! When it was, I slowed them down. Was it less than stellar - in terms of refills, etc.? Yes - twice in 10 TS. Would I or will I reduce the tip when I'm paying gratuity next trip?? Maybe once or twice.

Overall, for the product produced and the numbers served, I still think Disney does an above-average job in all the dining venues. Superb? "Fine" dining level? No. But for the average JoeJane coming to WDW on vacation who frequents Denny's, Chili's, Olive Garden,...(insert anychain here!) etc., I would think the Disney dining experience will always appear to be "a cut above"

I just returned from Disney with our first time on DDP. All our servers were excellent. I had no complaints with any service we received at any restaurant. And I was concerned after reading some posts prior to heading down to WDW on the DDP. I would just like to say that, IMHO, whether a guest or a server is having a bad day, that is really not the other person's problem. There is no excuse for being a rude guest or a rude server.

IMO, bad servers give bad service, good servers give good service. Period. Method of payment is generally irrelevant. (Please don't quote that sentence without reading the rest of this post, lol).

For those worried about service during free dining this month, relax. Most EVERY guest in the restaurants are on DDP now (literally over 95%). It isn't possible for servers to overlook you and focus on guests in which the gratuity is not included, because there are none, lol.

Even if you are on the DDP (regardless of the time of year), there is EVERY incentive for your server to give you good service. 1) It's the right thing to do. 2) No server is immune to guest complaints to a manager for poor service and the reprecussions that follow. 3) DDP guests are sometimes apt to tip over on the gratuity. In other words, a server tries to give really good service to say "yeh, I know my tip is included, but I'll treat you well anyway" with the hopes of getting a bit extra, if even only a couple bucks. 4) DDP guests are often the most pleasant. Many DDPs research the restaurants and menus and are generally excited about their carefully chosen dining experience. This attitude is contagious.

Ultimately, Disney is not Denny's. Disney NEVER struggles to keep their restaurants staffed with servers except in rare circumstances (restaurants with low business, like ALL Star Cafe, for example.) As such, management does not let lousy servers stay on the floor for very long, provided they are made aware of problems by guests. As such, guests have every right to complain when warranted.

Before complaining on a server though, there are several things to consider, IMO. Is their station clearly a nightmare? (like the stories on various threads of difficult large parties, high maintenance tables next to you, language barriers, etc. etc). Is slow service due to server or the kitchen? Are you having to wait because the restaurant assignor sat them 3 other tables at once? Also, how was your attitude when you sat down, attentive and pleasant, or whiny, indifferent to their greeting of you, etc etc. Lastly, is the server just having a bad day in general? Do know that servers do not get a break on the floor -typically go 6 straight hours on the floor holding their pee, stomach growling, on their feet, and most always having half a dozen things to do (table 1 needs 4 drink refills, I have to greet table 2 in the next 60 seconds per disney standards, table three has dessert melting in the kitchen that I have to run get, table 4 needs me to split their check 4 ways and swipe 4 cards, etc etc). Most every other Disney employee gets a scheduled break every 2 hours of their shift.

This will not apply to most people on here, but is another way of looking at things. Before blaming things on poor service, ask yourself if you are a poor guest (we've all seen them, and I've been that person before when having a bad day). Are you generally ready with a drink order, or do you agonize over this monumental decision ( a decision you have faced at EVERY restaurant you ever went to) for minutes while the server clearly gets bogged down waiting on you (or, more often, your children). Just somethin to think about. Again, how is your attitude when the server first greets you? A smile and respect is contagious, as are a frown and rudeness.

Also, I would imagine being a Disney server is tough as far as timing and style of service. "Fine dining" is generally slow paced, but is that what a guest expects at Disney? There is simply no way of knowing if the guest is in a hurry (has a fastpass, wants to see fireworks, etc) or wants a more moderately paced dinner like in the real world. This is important to communicate ("Just to let you know, we have a fastpass in 40 minutes" or "my kids get restless after 30 minutes" or "we are in no hurry tonight, take your time" etc. etc.) A server is not a mind reader, but armed with this info can either speed up dinner or take a more relaxed pace, whatever suits you best. Yes, experienced servers can usually gauge this, but not always. I've read on here guests feel rushed at some places. Is the server rude? Maybe. Or do they expect you'll be jumping up for fireworks in 15 minutes so best to serve the main course now so it doesnt get cold later? Maybe.

In the end, you'll most likely get good service at a Disney restaurant. If not, figure out what the problem is - sevrer or situation? If the server is clearly the problem, then ask to see a manager and express your disappointment. If you prefer anonymity or avoiding confrontation, write a letter. And always express your experiences (good and bad) on boards like this, after all that's what a thread like this is for.

Just my two cents.

:hug: Thank You!!!

I agreed with some of the things you said, totally disagreed with others. I am wondering where you got the statistic in your post that over 95% of restaurant guests are on the DDP. I'm curious because we never use the dining plan, nor do any of the people they we know who have gone. Are we really in that small of a minority?

We've done 2 vacations on the DDP now, told the servers up front we were on the DDP, and we received excellent service in all situations except one. The one time was last week when we asked if a certain item was on the DDP--the server rolled her eyes at us and said "Afraid so," which struck both DW and me as very odd. Maybe she was trying to be funny, maybe she wasn't, and maybe it was just a coincidence that this particular meal was the one disappointing service experience we've had at a WDW restaurant. Regardless, I'm not sure blanket statements can be made on one side or the other.

We've eaten many dozens (probably hundreds) of meals at WDW, both on DDP and off, and we have never noticed even the slightest difference in service because of how we were paying for the meal.

If anything, the servers have been more attentive when we're on DDP, partly just because the ins and outs of DDP require them to give us a little more attention. In the vast majority of the meals, we have enjoyed good to exceptional service.

Actually, the only place we've ever had really bad service was Alfredo's. We had lousy service all 3 times we ate there, and stopped going because of the mediocre food, poorly served. We were not using DDP for any of those meals, but I think they would have stunk no matter what.

We have never been during free dining, so I don't know what that's like. I do know the servers dread free DDP time. I also think it will be increasingly hard for servers to just "man up" and put the impending loss of automatic gratuity out of their minds.

So we might, over time, see a change in the service because of DDP. But I have not seen it yet.

I agreed with some of the things you said, totally disagreed with others. I am wondering where you got the statistic in your post that over 95% of restaurant guests are on the DDP. I'm curious because we never use the dining plan, nor do any of the people they we know who have gone. Are we really in that small of a minority?

My first thought was that 95% seems like an awfully high number! Unless Disney booked every one of their rooms with 'free dining' I'm pretty sure there are a lot of guests eating in the parks right now who are not on the DDP.

No, I don't believe that those who don't use the DDP are in that small of a minority. DDP is not a good choice for everyone ~ We visit WDW a lot and never use the dining plan. We also never go when it's 'free dining'!

I do know the servers dread free DDP time

Yes, they do!!

I'm curious as to why servers would hate free dining. It probably means a higher % of their customers are on the DDP, which is a guaranteed 18% tip. And it's offered at a time of year when they might not be as busy--getting more customers into the restaurants increases their tips, too.

Seems like they're making more money than they would otherwise. What am I missing?

I'm curious as to why servers would hate free dining. It probably means a higher % of their customers are on the DDP, which is a guaranteed 18% tip. And it's offered at a time of year when they might not be as busy--getting more customers into the restaurants increases their tips, too.

Seems like they're making more money than they would otherwise. What am I missing?

My guess would be it may have something to do with being overworked more during this time of the year.

Also, the average Disney guest may not plan well in advance. It's hard for them to get into restaurants when they get there, and some guests may be more crabby. That's just speculation though.

I am sure the servers appreciate the extra money, but maybe it's just hard knowing that you're going to be extremely busy every single minute of every single shift for a month.

I would like to see the data for 95% statistic. And since DDP diners visually identifable, I don't think you can say they are the most pleasant. I would be very interested to hear from someone who visited WDW during DDP and when it wasn't running and hear the comparison of service.

When does DDP run anyway? If it is designed to bring people into the parks during "slow" times, I'm wondering why it was going in June when all of WDW was sold out...

I would like to see the data for 95% statistic. And since DDP diners visually identifable, I don't think you can say they are the most pleasant. I would be very interested to hear from someone who visited WDW during DDP and when it wasn't running and hear the comparison of service.

When does DDP run anyway? If it is designed to bring people into the parks during "slow" times, I'm wondering why it was going in June when all of WDW was sold out...

The disney dining plan (DDP) is offered 365 days a year at WDW. The FREE dining plan was a promotion offered for a limited booking window (spring or winter bounceback) for a limited travel time (Aug/Sept visits.)

Amen!

Its Karma: cause and effect, action and reaction.
You create your own destiny... even at a Disney restaurant.

This I agree with very much. Sometimes when I read these trip reports from Hell, I think do they truly think that is a trip from hell. They waited in line to check in during free dining, oh my, the world is going to end.

I am sorry if that steps on toes but some people must have really easy lives at home if the worst part of your vacation is you check in at 8am when check is actually after 3pm and you did not get your room until 4:30. Geez.

We eat on property probably at least once a week. We use the DDE. It is not unusual to be surrounded by DDP-ers.
I don't recall being able to tell that their service is different from mine.
It is not unusual for a server to comment to me that the DDE is the way to go. I have no idea why a server thinks that. Although it has been said many times to us. :confused3 Maybe because we just order what we want without over analyzing, over/under buying, whatever. :confused3

We went during free dining (8/26-9/1) and the only disappointing service we had was at Boma! A place where you get your own food.. can you believe that? When we arrived at the table, there was a little confusion, since we were a party of 7, but 2 were in the bathroom. A few minutes later, we were all seated. But, the server came over to get our drink orders before the other 2 people got to the table. Which was fine, but we didn't want to order for them, so she got a little annoyed with us, and took orders for the 5 of us who were at the table. She came back to the table after the other 2 were there, dropped off the 5 drinks, and didn't ask the other 2 for their orders. So 2 people had no drinks for a while. Then she came back over - all the drinks were empty (and had been for a while) and she seemed annoyed about doing refills and we asked about getting drinks for the 2 people who hadn't gotten drinks. I also asked for a wine flight. She left. While I was up at the buffet (to which there was a huge line) she dropped off the drinks - but no wine flight. For the rest of the meal - we never saw her again. One person dropped their fork, and we were trying to find her to ask for a new one. We gave up and grabbed one from an unoccupied table. I tried to find her.... wondering where my wine was - I did want to drink it with my meal. Anyway, she finally appeared at the "register" thing near our table, and yelled over to us - do you still want that wine flight? I forgot to put it into the system. (Whatever that means???) Anyway, we declined, since we were already on dessert (actually most everyone was done dessert). Our reservation was for 8:40pm, we were seated around 9:15pm, and left around 10:45pm.... It's not like we rushed through the meal and there wasn't time to bring over wine..... And although it was very crowded when we got there, it was clearing out with many tables empty... although there seemed to still be lines for the food...

I do know the servers dread free DDP time.

My guess would be it may have something to do with being overworked more during this time of the year.

Comments like these are ridiculous. Why would servers not like a guaranteed 18%? I would like to hear one good reason. Do you really think that next year, when the free DDP does not include include a gratuity, that the servers will make more?

Overworked? That really is speculation. If you were a server, would you prefer it to be "less busy" so you make less per day?

I rarely post on these boards, but I can't take these comments and observations any more.

Ok, let's set the record straight.

First off, when I used a stat like 95%, I was talking about during free dining promotion (i.e. September). Re-read my post so that on this point we are clear. During most of the year, nowhere near 95% of table service diners are on DDP. I'd say less than 50%.

I will say that I should have said about 95% of DINNER guests are on DDP. Most DDPers prefer to use their "big meal" table service during evening hours, when available. Keep in mind that those who were savvy enough to book free DDP when it was offered MONTHS ago are also savvy enough to have booked all the ADR's months ago.

Do I have absolute proof of this 95% figure? No. Do I have friends who are servers who have said they have had literally ALL (100%) DDP at their tables on many, many shifts the last 2 weeks? yes.

The larger issue was that whether it is 95%, 85%, or even 75% - the point is people all uptight about bad service during free dining should relax - the vast majority of diners this month are also on free DDP.

On to issue #2, that servers dread free dining. Is this true for every server? Absolutely not. Many love it. They are making much better money this September than they have in the past (say circa 2001, 2002, or even the 1990's). September is a slow month for tourism, kids are in school. Honestly, short of a super deal (like free DDP!) who plans their family vacation for the 2nd week of school???

(ETA:The rest of this reply is just for you LexPlayer, who can't think of one good reason a server would have an issue.)

On the other hand, yes some servers dread free dining. But guess what, it may have nothing to do with the people using free dining (in other words, servers are humans and have lives, it isn't all animotronics working here). Some on here may know this and some not, but most of the restaurants at Disney, and definitely in the parks, have extended hours on many nights this month (closing at 10pm instead of 8pm, for example) because of the huge demand and need to accomodate all the package plans that Disney sold. So yes, the servers who are moms or dads probably dread this time of year when their child is fast asleep every night before they even get home. Or the single mom server who hopes her babysitter can extend every night? Or yes, any server may dread that because of the extended hours, there are no restaurants or grocery stores open on their way home for them to pick up dinner for themselves (and no, Disney does not feed the servers with leftovers). And the server may dread that they are scheduled 6 days each week instead of the usual 4. And the server may dread that their vacation time was denied this month because of the demand and extended hours.

ETA: Let me ask you LexPlayer, who is so irate and baffled by these posts...Would you dread it if your boss gave you extra work to do for the next month, so you were busier...and oh yeh, you need to stay at work 2 hours later everyday. Would you dread that? After all, you'll be making overtime. I hope you don't have any family commitments, sports leagues, hobbies, etc etc that this new work schedule interferes with.

It's kinda like Christmas for those in the retail business. You may appreciate the overtime and extra cash, but the extended hours and mandatory 6 and 7 day work weeks you "dread". Again, every server doesn't dread this time of year and schedule. But for those who have more of a family life and are less "flexible" in terms of work hours, and for those who remember September as a dead time at Disney when the Magic Kingdom and MGM closed everyday at 7pm instead of 10pm, this new September schedule they may indeed "dread".

Another explanation that probably makes less sense to those who have never waited tables is the issue of cash versus paycheck. Whether right or wrong, many servers (especially those who have worked in the field for many, many years) are used to taking home a certain amount of cash the very night they worked. During free DDP, when almost all the tables are gratuity (i.e. paycheck), the servers do not get that immediacy of cash in their pocket and instead recieve their money 1-2 weeks later. So servers have to adjust their mindset in terms of how and when they will get their pay. I am not defending this mindset, because the vast majority of jobs you get paid by a paycheck every 2 weeks, I know. I'm just trying to provide some insight into the mind of a server, especially a "career" server. Perhaps others can explain this mindset or expand on it more eloquently than I have. Again, I don't defend this, just tellin ya how it is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter