My Steam Mop just died. :(

rszdtrvl

DIS Veteran
Does anyone have a recommendation for a new one? Mine was a Shark brand.

The body got all hot and it started spitting out dirty water.

:(

I so don't want to buy a new one, but before I do I thought I would see if anyone has any recommendation. Ours was about 3-4 years old.

It might just be clogged. Mine did something similar, I have a different brand. Do a web search of your model with the problem and see what comes up for a solution.
Good luck

The water was coming out of the sides of the machine, not the bottom. And the entire body of the machine was hot to the touch.

I don't steam the floors often - once every month or so - and I believe last time I was having an issue with the handle.

Because the machine seemed to be overheating after only being plugged in for a couple of minutes, I am leaning more towards a new machine, rather than troubleshooting.

Might not be the best choice concerning $$, but the one I am most comfortable with.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a new one? Mine was a Shark brand.

The body got all hot and it started spitting out dirty water.

:(

I so don't want to buy a new one, but before I do I thought I would see if anyone has any recommendation. Ours was about 3-4 years old.

Did you use tap or distilled water in it?

Tap water. Upon reading online, I found that I should only use distilled water, as tap water is hard on the insides of the machine and creates build-up.

The heat on the outside really made me nervous. It was only plugged in for a couple of minutes and was HOT to the touch - not warm. Plus, upon further thinking, I was having trouble actually pushing the handle up and down to get the steam moving the last time I used it.

DH said to just order the Oreck I linked to. If it works as good as the online reviews say, maybe I won't have to get on my hands and knees with a magic eraser to get the high pet traffic areas off the floor.

We just had to replace our Shark steam mop with a new one because my husband insisted we didn't need to use distiller water in it. I already buy it for the iron and the handheld steam cleaner, it wasn't a big inconvenience! At least all the cleaning pads from the old machine fit the new one. It's got some nice updates too.

I have a Shark and just bought the new Shark that vacumns and steams...hate that one, it just doesn't clean as good. Love the older one so I'm still using that. I have had it for over 3 years and use tap water that goes thru the osmosis system.

Steam mops are not nuclear reactors. Take 4 screws out to remove the cover and look. My bet is on the stiff polyethylene hose that is wedged in the cavity split and the steam is escaping into the housing rather than down through the head where it is suppose to. That happened to my mother's steam mop. The hose was cracked where it is bent and attached to the head. I tore it apart, removed the hose, cut the end off that was cracked and reattached the hose.

Steam mops are not nuclear reactors. Take 4 screws out to remove the cover and look. My bet is on the stiff polyethylene hose that is wedged in the cavity split and the steam is escaping into the housing rather than down through the head where it is suppose to. That happened to my mother's steam mop. The hose was cracked where it is bent and attached to the head. I tore it apart, removed the hose, cut the end off that was cracked and reattached the hose.

If I were the tag fairy this would now be yours, mrodgers!!!:rotfl:

Sorry about the mop, OP. Have to say every time I scroll past your thread my brain reads it as "Step Mom" oy.

I'm looking into buying a steam mop for the first time and the Eureka one gets overall good reviews. I think I might buy it at Bed Bath and Beyond with a 20% off coupon.

I did order the one I linked to at Overstock.com. I got free expedited shipping through retailmenot.com so it should arrive tomorrow.

I was hoping someone here had one, but the reviews at Overstock seem pretty positive overall. I can deal with the weight of it - I will just consider it a workout if nothing else.

I will be sure to update with my review, in case anyone else is considering purchasing this type of steam mop in the future. Thanks everyone!

I have used it a few times and really like it.

It is not as bulky as the reviews say it is, nor is it as hard to push as the reviews say.

It only came with one head cover, but I can use the microfiber towels because there are clips on either side of the head to attach your own towels.

I like the fact that you can adjust the amount of steam that is pushing through the mop. It is nice for the high traffic areas (bathroom & pet feeding areas).

The cord is very heavy duty, but there is nowhere to attach the cord so that it is all wound up and pretty - you need to fold the cord up and down and use the attached velcro to attach it all together. The cord comes out of the top and just kind of flops down from there.

Overall, I think it was a good buy.

:)

A few hours after reading this post, I plugged my Shark up for my almost-daily run across the kitchen floor (I have 3 cats...'nuff said). Well, the darn thing would not heat up or wet the pad, so I thought about mrrodgers' post about steam mops not being nuclear reactors, and decided to "fix" it myself. Turns out, they are very close. There are 8 screws, not 4, and they are a bee with an itch to get out. I went through several of my son's small phillips head screw drivers to find one that fits (it is the 9/64), and finally opened the sucker up. Because I did not follow directions included with my mop and use distilled water, there was "gunk" or build-up from the minerals in tap water on the heating element. I wiped it off (after it cooled...it was hot!) as well as I could, and checked the hoses before putting it back together. I was able to clean my kitchen and utility room with it (using distilled water), so I thought we were good to go. I did not want to get rid of this mop, especially since I had recently "engineered" a way to get the pads to stay on better. (The elastic in my husband's almost-new undies found a new life...riding around on my Shark. My brother-in-law commented that he didn't know Hanes made mop pads!:goodvibes) Last night, I had to take it apart again to get my kitchen mopped, so I gave up and ordered the dirt devil steam mop off Amazon. It had better reviews than my Shark. Does anyone own the Dirt Devil 2000B? The website said you could use tap water, but won't that damage the heating thingy like it did my Shark? I am using my old trusty swiffer wet-jet today and tomorrow, but am looking forward to using my new mop on Tuesday! Someone tell me I made a good choice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter