• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

My Son's Very Magical Moment

what a magical moment for you and your ds:wizard:

What a fantastic experience - thank you so much for sharing this with us. I have to admit, I got a bit teary as well.

Dear CapeCodMouse,

Thank you SO MUCH for sharing that story. (Hold on, need to wipe the tears...I can't see the computer monitor) OK, better...your story is exactly what keeps me and my family returing to WDW every year. My DH and I were saying last night that we wish we could bottle the way we feel while we are at Disney and feel that way ALL the time. The special attention we get, the atmosphere, and the magic that surround us at WDW is just pricless.:cloud9:
Is it time to back again? Jennifer:wizard:

LOVED your story!! *hard to see the screen for sniffling*

I can just see the whole scene in my head and I would've been a complete MESS for bawling!

:cloud9:

Pass the Kleenex..............I can hardly wait to get there, and come home to plan another trip that includes my grandsons......snif, snif.........

I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who bawls at Disney :lmao: We weren't going to go back until 2009, but we are going again this November thanks to a 40% off code. My DS is still talking about this past trip. He is just SO excited about going back. Me too....:banana:

EXACTLY why I love Disney so much. Amazing. I want to cry hearing about it so can only imagine how you felt as a mom witnessing it. Thanks for sharing.

:grouphug:
I am actually having to wipe the tears away that are running down my cheek... that is just amazing! Disney is such a magical place! We went in October 06 and had several smaller "dreams" things happen to us. We just booked a surprise trip for this december. We are so excited to see their faces that morning when we leave!! I hope we have a similar experience to yours. Amazing how they can make something so SIMPLE, so magical. It cost them nothing....but made your child (and family) have a magical memory that will last forever.

Just had to share- this exact scenario happned to us a few years back- before YOAMD and i had no idea how rare or special it was- until I read your post.

We were having an unscheduled dinner at the Rose and Crown pub- Myself, my mom and then 5 year old ds ( he is now 8 and we are heading back in April- woohoo)

Anyhow our server was absolutely adorable- his name was Fraser I remember this becuase it is my mother's maiden name ( and the reason we eat here is because my mom is originally from Scotland and she loves coming here- we go every year!) anyhow I noticed during dinner our waiter was super attentive to my little guy- brought him a special cup for his drink, went above and beyond- again just thinking this was "the Disney way"and enjoying the night.

We were seated outside and just as it got a little darker Fraser knelt down and started to talking to my son and said something to the effect that Mickey was busy over at the Magic Kingdom and wouldnt be able to make it to start Illuminations and would my son like to help get the show started- oh my... my mom and I both had tears in our eyes and my son thought he was king of the world.

And just like the prior story- they gave him a red wand and told him to listen to the drums beating - and when Fraser gave him the go ahead he was to wave the wand- and start the illuminations show- just as the music started the wand lit up red-I acutallly have a pic in my photo album ( did not have digital camera at that time) of the exact moment the wand lit up- and the look on my sons face was priceless!-also recieved the certificate commemorating a very magical moment at disney with his name and date.

Anyhow - he still talks about that moment and I think it will stay with him forever- this year we are super excited because DH is finally biting the bullet and coming with us 10 days in disney- woohoo!( he ususally stays home and watches the dog, works, etc..) so I am hoping for some pixie dust to come our way again!

just wanted to share- reading the first post brought back a truly magical moment for our family that we will never forget.

thanks!

Wow-what wonderful experiences you both had! I would have had a hard time taking any pix if it happened to my DD, what with the tears in my eyes!

So cool!

:rainbow: :hmghost: :hmghost: :hmghost: :hmghost: :hmghost: :hmghost: :hmghost:: :dog: :wish130 :wishsize20

that was one of the most aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
sssssssssssssssssssssssssoooooooooooooooooooooooooooommmmmmmmmmmm
mmmmmeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee stoys i have ever heard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :cheer2:

wow that brought a shiver to my spine as i was reading your post the magic of disney !!
my daughter had an amazing time when we went in 2001 for the first time we were watching the disney street parade and she was hand picked to dance with them all.......and being a shy child we didnt think she would do it,but she did ! and it made her holiday and when we look through photos she always mentions it !

I have been trying to get this posted and still need to do a trip report but life has gotten hectic since we returned from our trip in Nov. '07 and I am finally getting time to try and re-live our great trip to WDW. :upsidedow

Anyway, I thought I would post the wonderful magical moment we experienced on our first night of vacation.

This vacation included me (41), my DH (45), my ds (6 - 2nd trip), my best friend (her 50th birthday trip) and her daughter (18). I had made late dinner reservations for us at the Rose & Crown Pub (8:50 pm) because we were coming in late in the afternoon, and I wanted us to be able to catch Illuminations. Also, my MIL and FIL were staying at the timeshare outside Disney and met us at the R&C for dinner.

After we were seated (about 5 minutes before our seating time), our server, Emma (she was AWESOME), took our drink & appie orders and then said that if we wanted to, she would hold our entrees until after Illuminations was over. We were sitting there enjoying our drinks & apps when a CM came in and kneeled down next to my son. She had an autograph book and told him that "Mickey had asked for his autograph." I knew about YOAMD, but at the time, we thought this was something they were probably doing with all the kids in the restaurant. So my son very carefully wrote out his full name, and then she thanked him and left. After she left, we discussed how weird it was that she had only gotten DS's autograph, and none of the about 50 other kids in the pub.

About ten minutes later, a CM named Louise came in and kneeled down next to my son and asked "is your name Adam?". He said "yes." She said, "well, Adam, Mickey asked me to speak to you about a very serious matter. You see, he is stuck in a queue (don't you just love the British) over in one of the shops across the street, and he won't be able to get here in time to start the fireworks for Illuminations. So, he has asked if you would be willing to use his magic wand to start the fireworks for him?" Well, the look on my DS's face was absolutely priceless! He was so excited! And of coure, he agreed. Louise informed us that she would be back a few minutes before the fireworks were supposed to start to get Adam so he could start the fireworks. That was the end of any kind of eating dinner for DS. He was too excited and kept saying to me, "Mom, did you hear that -I get to start the fireworks! - Mickey's going to let me use his magic wand" etc, etc. :cool1: Of course, at this point, I'm so happy for him I'm practically bawling. :sad:

At about 9:25, Louise comes back with this long, rainbow colored lightup stick with a Mickey head on it. She takes us all out to the R&C porch outside. She tells DS that when the music starts, he needs to wave Mickey's wand around in circles that get bigger and bigger, and when she tells him, he needs to point it over towards America so that the fireworks can start. So, off he goes, waving the wand around and around in circles, and when Louise said "NOW", he pointed toward America, and the the first fireworks burst into the air. My DS turns around to look at me and goes "Mom, look, MY magic started the fireworks!" :cheer2: At that point, I just lost it completely - what can I say? I'm a mom....:goodvibes

He kept waving the wand through the whole show. And when it ended, Louise gave him a Magical Moments certificate signed by Mickey and the whole crew at the Rose & Crown for starting the fireworks. My DS was so proud of himself and everytime we saw fireworks (including Wishes) during our time there, he would say "Mom, that's STILL my magic, it's still working!" :wizard:

It was the BEST way to start our trip and he will NEVER forget it. He wrote it in his vacation journal, and every now and then since we got home he will say "Mom, remember when I started the fire works?"

I believe this is proof that the Magical Moments and the Wishes given are completely random. We were one table in a restuarant full of people eating and waiting for Illuminations. Why my DS? Why not the next table or the table outside? It only made it that much more special because it was so unexpected and random. I went knowing about the YOAMD, but not expecting anything but having a great time at Disney.

This is what makes us go back..........

You got me in tears just reading your story. These folks in our fabulous world of Disney are truely magic. It's all those things little things they do that make everything so incredible at Disney.

Thank you for sharing your story. Disney is truly magic.

THIS is what the Year of a Million Dreams is all about. It is not about the giveaways, the dream fastpasses, the pin and lanyard sets, etc. It is the every day moments that cast members create that makes an experience magical, whether it be pulling out a first family to be the first in the park for the day, to making jr boat skippers for a trip, to having someone "start" the fireworks. THIS is what has been amped up.

I was told a story about the opening of ToonTown in Magic Kingdom. Many mornings, Mickey himself will come out to the front of his house, grab the first family waiting for him and give them a tour of his cottage before proceeding to the Judge's Tent for a meet n greet and picture.

This one particular day, Mickey picked out two young kids wearing Give Kids the World buttons and who were both in wheelchairs. Both were extremely handicapped and did not have much vocal ability. However, Mickey proceeded up to them, fawned over them for a bit and then led them through his house showing them and their family various things. By the time they made it back to the Judge's Tent, both kids had the biggest smiles on their face with one shedding tears cuz they were so happy that Mickey spent so much time with THEM. Needless to say, their family was a mess.

From what I hear, Mickey was shedding a tear or two during that encounter as well. Of course, I only hear this story through friends. ;)

BABA Ganoush--that is an awesome story, how sweet, Mickey made their trip so special!

Still wiping tears away.....loved your story! Kids are so wonderful at that age aren't they? Look at my siggie below....my son when he was 5 just randomly looked up at his daddy as Illuminations was starting and said "Daddy, it's all about the magic!" We all just melted. :hug: I have searched high and low trying to find that exact saying because I couldn't believe that he just made it up - had to be a parrot repeat thing, right? Nope, I can't find it anywhere. Lots of variations on that theme of course!

As far as why your little guy was chosen for a Magical Moment, I think it has a lot to do with being the only child at your table. My kids have never been approached (they are only one year apart and often get mistaken for twins) because it just wouldn't be fair to give one child a moment and not the other one. My sister on the other hand has taken her DD on three WDW vacations and has gotten a Magical Moment with her each time - Junior Chef for a Day, Perfect Princess at B&B show, etc. I'll be taking DS alone in January for his Bday - so hopefully we'll have some special recognition for him even though YOMD will be over.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter