My son's fish died.

shinysparklybubbles

DIS Veteran
My DS (3 next month) had a beta fish (Fishy the fish) and he so nicely decided today was the day to go belly up. Ugh. So what is everyone's opinion on what to do and what to say? As of now my son doesn't know (everyone just left from dinner).

Aww. I'm so sorry. My DD who's 12 now has always had Beta fish. Some lasting longer than others.

I remember at one point we had 3 fish in a row that died and I just couldn't keep seeing her so upset. We ended up actually lying to her and said Sparky needed to go south for the winter where it was warmer. Then one day in the spring when she wasn't home, we got a replacement Sparky -- same color of course and told her Sparky was back from his trip.

Luckily Sparky 2 (as I always mentally called him) lasted a while.

So you can either run out in the morning and get a replacement before he notices or have a brief funeral. (I'm serious -- that's what we've also done before my "cover-up") Good luck to and again, sorry about your son's pet.

That sucks! I'm sorry about your little guy's fish. I love Betas.

As for how and what to tell him, I can't help there, because when DD was 3 she just had her pup who was the same age as her so she didn't have to deal with loss of a pet then.

I wish you luck. Once again ,sorry about Fishy.

Sorry about your fish. When DD was that age, she got a beta named Bluey. He was blue. Bluey died several times....if you get what I'm sayin'.:rolleyes1

I think one of us is going to run to pet smart as soon as they open tomorrow. Thankfully where we keep the bowl I can move some stuff around to block it and he will hopefully not notice. If he asks I think I'm gonna say our Elf on the shelf took him on a field trip!

Sorry about your fish. When DD was that age, she got a beta named Bluey. He was blue. Bluey died several times....if you get what I'm sayin'.:rolleyes1

I get it! Been there too done that quite a few times also. :thumbsup2

Sorry about the fish though!

Sorry 'bout your lil fish. I loved my beta.

That said, when we moved out of the country, we had to leave him with my brother and my then 5-year-old nephew 'adopted' him. Well, Mr Fish got sick after a little while and, uh, my brother and sister-in-law had to "take him to the doctor", if you follow me.

The next day, they took my nephew to the pet store - which is where the fish doctors are, of course - and got him to point to which one was Mr. Fish on the shelf. And then they took Mr. Fish home again, and all was well. :rotfl:

I always thought that was a clever way of dealing with it for a little kid like that. No worries that he'll say Mr. Fish was the wrong color or something, I guess? Dunno if it would work out for a 3 year old, but it's a thought anyway. I remember having a number of fish funerals when I was little. I guess that works too (although 30 years on, all I remember about my goldfish is they dropped like flies...).

Good luck!

Sorry 'bout your lil fish. I loved my beta.

That said, when we moved out of the country, we had to leave him with my brother and my then 5-year-old nephew 'adopted' him. Well, Mr Fish got sick after a little while and, uh, my brother and sister-in-law had to "take him to the doctor", if you follow me.

The next day, they took my nephew to the pet store - which is where the fish doctors are, of course - and got him to point to which one was Mr. Fish on the shelf. And then they took Mr. Fish home again, and all was well. :rotfl:

I always thought that was a clever way of dealing with it for a little kid like that. No worries that he'll say Mr. Fish was the wrong color or something, I guess? Dunno if it would work out for a 3 year old, but it's a thought anyway. I remember having a number of fish funerals when I was little. I guess that works too (although 30 years on, all I remember about my goldfish is they dropped like flies...).

Good luck!

That's a good idea!

We just go with honesty.

Then again--my 4yo has had two elder cats die. We couldn't exactly "hide" that in a gentle way.

(we have had fish die as well)

You tell him the fish died and let him help dispose of the fish. Ask him if he would like another fish and if he does let him help pick it out.

I'm not sure about going with the truth since he is so young (if it was a person I'd go with the truth). He is so tied up with Christmas he hasn't looked for the fish yet this morning.

You tell him the fish died and let him help dispose of the fish. Ask him if he would like another fish and if he does let him help pick it out.
This. Now might be a good time to (gently) point out that everything dies.

In fact, as soon as you reach full maturity (around 19-21), you begin to die.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter