My son is looking for a bone marrow donor

Gorechick

DIS Veteran
Hi, My DS9 has been battling Leukemia since January. He had made it into remission in May but relapsed a week and a half ago. We are meeting with physicians in a couple of weeks to begin the bone marrow transplant process. We are in search of a donor. If you are interested in being tested and entered into the general database, please go to Be The Match.org. Thanks!

God bless you all. It's a long road.

I'm aware of at least three young people in my area who have had leukemia within the last 3 years.

I swabbed my cheek for be the match as the young man from my church was fighting. Thankfully, he's doing very well and in remission. I hope your son can get there soon.

Definitely considering this. Thanks for bringing it up and I hope your son finds a match soon.

Just registered too. Should have done this a long time ago. (Wish someone set up at the mall and sporting events to register people. Maybe it is done in other cities.)

OP - prayers to you, your son and the rest of your family and his friends.

Oh, I am so sorry you are dealing with this. Anyone who can, PLEASE consider registering with BeTheMatch.org!!

Many leukemia patients require a bone marrow transplant to have any chance of survival. A good sibling donor is often the best match, but many patients do not have an eligible, matching sibling and depend on finding a match in the donor registry.

There are some age restrictions on who can join the registry, those under age 44 are preferred.

The donation process is pretty painless for the donor. You'll probably need to have injections of a drug that stimulates your body's production of stem cells for a few days, and then the actual donation is like donating blood or platelets.

What the gift of your donation means to the recipient is priceless- you are giving them a chance at survival. When a patient is at the point that they need a bone marrow (stem cell) transplant, they have exhausted other treatment options.

I lost my husband to leukemia two months ago.

After a difficult battle with multiple forms of chemo and remissions and relapses, he did have a bone marrow transplant in February. He was very lucky because one of his brothers was a match and was his donor. The day we got the news of that match and the day the transplant was performed were very happy and optimistic days. It meant he had a chance.

Although his disease was too aggressive to survive and he lost his battle, that transplant gave him more time and we are grateful for that. During his hospital stays, we met MANY survivors who owe their lives to donors found through BeTheMatch: children, teenagers, young parents, older people, grandparents.

Please check into registering. You could be someone's hero.

Been in the database for over a decade. Actually got called for follow up testing once. I ultimately wasn't a match, but they told me that now that they have a complete profile on me, the next time they call will be because I am a match and it'll be an ask to donate...

A very close friend of mine is battling lymphoma. Even though it's very unlikely I'd be her match I joined the registry anyway, if I can't help her I'll help someone else! I just got my email that I'm officially in.

Good luck with your search, good thoughts sent your way. :flower3:

Gorechick I hope a match is found soon and that your son makes a full recovery. :hug:
and
Kathy I am so very sorry that you lost your husband.

Kathy, I am so sorry to hear about your husband.

OP, I will pray for your son and keep him (and all of you) in my thoughts. I joined BeTheMatch about a year ago, and encourage others to as well. It was super easy to sign up and if in the future I can ever be of help to my fellow man/woman, I would be honored to do so.

Hi, My DS9 has been battling Leukemia since January. He had made it into remission in May but relapsed a week and a half ago. We are meeting with physicians in a couple of weeks to begin the bone marrow transplant process. We are in search of a donor. If you are interested in being tested and entered into the general database, please go to Be The Match.org. Thanks!

Oh, I am so sorry you are dealing with this. Anyone who can, PLEASE consider registering with BeTheMatch.org!!

Many leukemia patients require a bone marrow transplant to have any chance of survival. A good sibling donor is often the best match, but many patients do not have an eligible, matching sibling and depend on finding a match in the donor registry.

There are some age restrictions on who can join the registry, those under age 44 are preferred.

The donation process is pretty painless for the donor. You'll probably need to have injections of a drug that stimulates your body's production of stem cells for a few days, and then the actual donation is like donating blood or platelets.

What the gift of your donation means to the recipient is priceless- you are giving them a chance at survival. When a patient is at the point that they need a bone marrow (stem cell) transplant, they have exhausted other treatment options.

I lost my husband to leukemia two months ago.

After a difficult battle with multiple forms of chemo and remissions and relapses, he did have a bone marrow transplant in February. He was very lucky because one of his brothers was a match and was his donor. The day we got the news of that match and the day the transplant was performed were very happy and optimistic days. It meant he had a chance.

Although his disease was too aggressive to survive and he lost his battle, that transplant gave him more time and we are grateful for that. During his hospital stays, we met MANY survivors who owe their lives to donors found through BeTheMatch: children, teenagers, young parents, older people, grandparents.

Please check into registering. You could be someone's hero.

:grouphug:

Oh Gorechick, I'm very sorry to hear about your Son's relapse. I will keep your Son in my thoughts and prayers. I hope you are able to find a donor match soon. :grouphug:

I wish you the best. I registered and guilted a bunch of people into registering many years ago.

I never got called and I have now aged out.

Op,
I wish you the best of luck!! I lost my honey to acute myloid leukemia two years ago. I'm definitely in the database.

I'm sorry to hear about your son, OP, and send you and your family prayers and good thoughts! I was typed in the late 90's after a close friend was diagnosed with AML, but I have not been called. I do re-up.

Prayers to you, Webmaster Kathy. I'm sorry for your loss.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter