• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

My Son Broke His Collarbone

robnoxious

Mouseketeer
Any tips on bringing my son to Disney next week when he broke his collarbone Saturday?

If he has a sling, make him wear it at all times. Have you been there before, so you know which rides jostle you around? You will want to avoid those rides.

DO NOT ride Dinosaur at AK. It does a whole lot of jostling! DH threw his back out 4 or 5 days before our last trip. Even with bracing himself very well, that ride was still rough on him.

How old is your son? Will he understand not being able to go on some rides?

Yes I should have mentioned that he is only 10. This is our 3rd trip so he knows what Disney is all about. We haven't even told him and his brother about the trip yet, were waiting to surprise them

I'm sorry to read this. I think he might still enjoy WDW, but I'd be hesitant to have him ride anything except for things like Small World, Pirates, maybe Soarin, etc. A broken collarbone would be quite painful on most of the rides there, IMHO. I agree with the previous advice about making sure he wears whatever protective device he has for it at all times.

My younger sister broke her collar bone in a fall as an ADULT. She totally understood the need for keeping it as motionless as possible and we were all amazed at the length of time it took to heal. She also had two young children to care for. I don't know to this day how in the world she managed any kind of "normal" activity.
Like previous poster said, I'd be hesitant to do ANY attractions or rides that did any kind of bumping or jostling. That would limit you to very tame things indeed. I suspect his comfort level will keep him from trying too many things that will move him in an uncomfortable manner.
Good luck.
:thumbsup2

Any tips on bringing my son to Disney next week when he broke his collarbone Saturday?

I broke my neck and stayed off all thrill rides for five years. Then I finally asked my doctor about it and he said I had more chance of being injured again in a car accident in Atlanta than I did riding a roller coaster at Disney Word.

I'm not saying that is the case with your son but talk to the doctor. Show youtube videos of the rides and get an expert opinion. Then, once your son knows about the trip, talk to him about the advice and then, based on your doctor's, and your son's opinions, make your choices.

But trust me, if your son has to sit for a couple of attractions. it's not a big deal. He can go into the queues with everyone else and then he can exit and wait for the rest of the family. If you don't feel comfortable with him doing that on his own, an adult can wait with him. Very easy. And I found waiting for my husband to come off Twilight Zone was a hoot.

You can PM if you want and I'll share my experiences on the "one to exit" role.

I broke my collarbone when I was knocked off my motorbike back in 1990. It wasn't just my shoulder that was the problem: the following day I could barely move at all as I was bruised in a T section from my shoulders and right down my sternum as well.

If you're going next week, I'm afraid to say he's not going to have a fun time of it. Even a month after the accident it still hurt to move my right arm around and if I got knocked it was really sore.

However, it depends on the type of break. My collarbone broke where the bra strap sits: very common according to the doctors. Obviously your son won't have that problem! I had a small bit of floating bone, though, and although my shoulder healed 'fully' it did't heal smoothly and all these years later I still have a 'nobble' on my shoulder. I was off work for 6 weeks altogether, but was still feeling tender when I did return.

My brother broke his collarbone at the same age. He had to sleep in a recliner chair. I think he had to wear a sling under an oversized button down shirt.

Think of not only the rides, but people bumping into him.

I would reschedule, I know, sounds impossible. But I had to cancel a trip once for DS broken foot (not WDW, it was a trip to Boston, lots of walking planned).

Thank you to all of you who have taken the time to reply and offered some sympathy in a less than ideal situation. We can't cancel, we would lose 100%. We can't postpone it because we have to go by the end of 2014 and we can't make that work with our work schedules so we are going.

It is a nondisplaced fracture which means it isn't broken all the way through the bone. The doctors have said he can do rides "to his comfort level" so roller coasters might be a problem and it will break his heart but the little guy is one tough cookie (walked around for 3 days without us even knowing it was broken and hardly complained).

I'd try to put yourself in the mindset of a parent of an infant and maybe even look up tips and tricks on those forums and threads. Your son is not a baby of course, but you'll find tips on what to do while waiting for thrill riders, hidden gems to discover in lieu if thrill rides, etc. consider spending more time doing things like the Phineas And Ferb adventure in Epcot, Sorcerers of the MK, pressed penny collecting. Luckily, disney is loaded with slow and dark rides but if he's used to thrillier rides, you'll need a diversion ;)

Bring plenty of kids Tylenol (or whatever he's taking - just in case) consider bringing a ziplock and small towel to make an ice pack on the go if that helps with discomfort.

So sorry he got hurt and hope you have a great trip!

It is a nondisplaced fracture which means it isn't broken all the way through the bone. The doctors have said he can do rides "to his comfort level" so roller coasters might be a problem and it will break his heart but the little guy is one tough cookie (walked around for 3 days without us even knowing it was broken and hardly complained).

That is good news, that it is not as bad as the previous posters family members, that had broken collar bones. (my brother ran into a parked car at top speed, looking over his shoulder to catch a football! He never saw the car, just slammed into it, so he had a complete break and more difficult time, I suppose).

Good luck, there dis so much to do at WDW, even the resort pools are great fun.

I think he will still have a fantastic time. As previously said, there are MANY things he can do and enjoy. Bring pain meds and keep it as still as possible. Be willing to take him alone back to the resort if he needs it. Of any theme park out there, I think Disney would be the best for a broken collarbone. There are many "tame" things to do. Bring supplies to make an impromptu ice pack in the parks (ziploc bags and a washcloth).

Poor guy!! Bad timing for a break, but at least it doesn't sound as bad as it could have been!!

Thank you to all of you who have taken the time to reply and offered some sympathy in a less than ideal situation. We can't cancel, we would lose 100%. We can't postpone it because we have to go by the end of 2014 and we can't make that work with our work schedules so we are going.

Then I would make up some signs or something or even get a button (might be too late for that) that said "I have a broken collarbone but that's OK, I'm at Disney World!!!!!!!!" and take him through all the queue lines he's not comfortable with riding the actual ride. I'll bet that gets a lot of conversations going and decreases the disappointment. And it's an easy exit with any Disney attraction. You just say "X to ride and X to exit" and it's all done.

Note to DS of robnoxious: Feel better soon and demand ice cream for every ride you have to forfeit.:mickeybar:mickeybar:mickeybar;)

Thanks Disnut...excellent idea on the button. Can I just get that made when we check in?
great idea about the pin!!

If not at check in, get one when you enter MK. The cart to get pins is to the left after you go under the train station toward Main Street. Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I would consider a wheelchair. It would protect from someone bumping into it. When my DD broke hers two years ago (complete break), she had difficulty walking at home. Maybe get one of those cooling cloths...wearing the sling/brace gets warm and then add the FL heat...yikes.

I second the ice cream swap. :)

I think you will be surprised at what the kiddo's capable of. They heal so fast at that age.

Practically speaking, sounds like you had a talk with his doctor to explain the situation. Ask the Dr specifically what the high end of dosing narcotic pain meds is for your son in this situation.

Most docs know that under normal circumstances perhaps 2.5mg of hydrocodone every 4 hours (not suggesting anything, just an example) would be best. But that assumes a certain amount of resting and a certain amount of walking around.

As long as an increased amount of walking around is not detrimental to his recovery, the doctor should be able to prescribe based on that new level of physical activity, which may be a higher dose or something more frequent.

Whatever the pain management regimen turns out to be, set a timer and follow it perfectly. Don't skip doses, even of ibuprofin, even if there's no pain. The point is to stay ahead of the pain.

If he were 10 years older I would suggest white rum and poppers, can't think of a broken bone bad enough that those two little friends didn't get me through it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter