my smartphone is too smart for me lol

LovinPooh

DIS Veteran
Totally new to the world of smartphones... i have a samsung galaxy 3. At the risk of sitting n waiting for answers at the cell store which never has enough staff lol, hoping someone here could help :)
My big question is gps. Do u leave it on or shut if off? Does it draw data if left on? I m sooo worried bout goin over 2gb. Evn tho i usually connctd to wifi...
Any tips would b great:)

Totally new to the world of smartphones... i have a samsung galaxy 3. At the risk of sitting n waiting for answers at the cell store which never has enough staff lol, hoping someone here could help :)
My big question is gps. Do u leave it on or shut if off? Does it draw data if left on? I m sooo worried bout goin over 2gb. Evn tho i usually connctd to wifi...
I leave mine on. I don't think it pulls data (could be wrong though). I think it triangulates based on cell tower coverage.

GPS does drain the battery quickly, though. I used it for an hour and a half and went from 100% to 50% battery life.

It does not use your data but it drains the battery. I always keep the GPS off when not using it.

GPS does drain the battery quickly, though. I used it for an hour and a half and went from 100% to 50% battery life.
Maybe if you're using it as a true GPS. My Garmin GPS only gets about 2-3 hours from a full charge, so using 50% of battery in an hour and half isn't bad. Keep in mind that leaves the screen on too. I think my GPS only comes on if I use an app (maps, weather, etc) that needs it... it doesn't "stay" on.

GPS does not use data... in fact, your GPS apps will still work even if the phone has no cell service... however, A-GPS(Assisted-GPS) does you data, minimally though. They use the cell tower to pin point your location within seconds and is more accurate than Regular GPS. I dont notice it on data though but its there if you use it on a long run. My dad leaves a GPS app on every day for 3 hours while he drives and it takes maybe 50mb?

like what other users have said, GPS is a battery drainer...

GPS drains battery and makes u easily located through apps you use. I usually turn it off unless I am using the GPS software [mine reminds me to switch the GPS signal on]. Sme with bluetooth or wifi both battery drainers.

Maybe if you're using it as a true GPS. My Garmin GPS only gets about 2-3 hours from a full charge, so using 50% of battery in an hour and half isn't bad. Keep in mind that leaves the screen on too. I think my GPS only comes on if I use an app (maps, weather, etc) that needs it... it doesn't "stay" on.

My battery drains faster if I have the GPS on even when not using it. Just like the WIFI does because it is always looking for a signal.

Thank u... i appreciate the input sooo much :)
As with anything, i think it will just take a little bit for me to figure this gadget out.
I got auto correct to shut off..so i m one step ahead lol

My battery drains faster if I have the GPS on even when not using it. Just like the WIFI does because it is always looking for a signal.

This ^^. though i dont have an S3, i have a iPhone, i used to come back with 40% battery from work, after turning wifi off, i come back with 80%.

Keep the WiFi off unless you're using it. And you won't go over your 2gb in data -- you'd have to use a LOT of data to do that. And remember to shut off your apps when you've finished with them (on my Galaxy SII, I use the back button to go back to the home screen, that will shut them off -- don't just hit the home button when you're done). I've adapted pretty well to my smartphone, but the kids tell my DH that the phone is too smart for him and he shouldn't have gotten something that complicated :thumbsup2.

I too just got my first Smart phone in the Galaxy III, thankfully my tech savvy college kid got the same one at the same time and helped sort me out before we put him on the plane to return to college. He told me to keep the GPS/Nav off unless I was using it due to the battery issues.

He also warned me to stay away from streaming movies as that is a big data drain. I should say, he pointed his finger at his sister and said "no streaming on Mom's phone!"

There is also a little data box he added to my home screen that is a data usage meter, this keeps my anxiety at bay as I learn to navigate the silly contraption.

If it is any consolation, my college kid averages about 1gb of use and he has had unlimited for years, he says he doesn't watch movies but other than that he just does his thing and does not have overage issues.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter