• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

My Sept/Oct Itinerary - come help me tweak things

Ms. Shuttergirl

DIS Veteran
Okay well I feel like I am losing my mind over trying to work out this WDW schedule. Where to go on what day, where to eat, crowd levels, special events :eek::eek::eek:

It has been quite a challenge hahaha but only because I just wanted to make good decisions now that will help the holiday be a more smooth experience. The New York leg of the trip isn't nearly as organised but I guess it doesn't have to be. The good news is I'm sure I could get a job organising military operations now, I'm quite the logistical planner now :rotfl2::rotfl2:

I have used Touring Plans plus Disboard info along with EMH, MNSSHP info, Food & Wine Festival info, etc. to make my choices re which park which day and places to eat. I would welcome everyone's input though

This is what I have so far:-

Wed 22 Sept - arrive New York at 5pm - yikes what a long day or so that trip is

Head to our hotel, Hilton New York, check in and get some dinner and crash.

Thursday 23 Sept - whenever we rouse ourselves from out jetlagged fog we will just have a wander around today, will probably do a little shopping and that's about all

Would like to eat at Ellen's Stardust Diner for lunch or dinner just because the place makes me smile

Friday 24 Sept - Central Park for most of the day. We only spent 2 hours here last time and I want to do more exploring.

Saturday 25 Sept - might head to New Jersey (gotta see the Cake Boss LOL) in the morning, LIttle Italy, Brooklyn or Hell's Kitchen of something for the arvo

Sunday 26 Sept - New York Yankees baseball at 1pm, woohoo. We actually will probably go at 11am because we've been told the memorabilia and things to look at are amazing so we want to allow time to explore

Monday 27 Sept - American Museum of Modern History

Tuesday 28 Sept - morning some last minute shopping
Fly out of JFK to MCO Orlando at 6.45pm

WDW DETAILS:-

Staying at Pop Century
On the Regular Dining Plan
11 nights
I've had terrible trouble trying to get the dining reservations I want because we only just booked the holiday and all of the good stuff was gone but I've managed most of them and am certainly not complaining.

Catch Magic Express to WDW Pop Century, hope to arrive by 8pm at the latest
Check in and have a quick wander around the resort then early to bed

Wednesday 29 Sept - EMH at AK 8am
Do Safari first thing, haven't worked out what else after that as yet
1.30 Yak & Yeti for lunch
Back to resort for a swim and a rest after that
5.30 Head to Magic Kingdom for Spectro and Fireworks
Will just have CS meal, probably at Cosmic Ray's as it sounds good

Thursday 30 Sept - MK EMH 8am, woohoo
Fantasyland first, haven't worked out the rest yet
1.35 Chef Mickey's at the Contemporary (not sure about this booking, have read mixed reviews but do love the idea of seeing Mickey and Minnie)
Back to resort for a swim and a rest
6ish head to HS for the evening
8pm Fantasmic
will get CS meal to take in to snack on

Friday 1 Oct - HS 9am
Haven't worked out a running order yet
11.35 Sci Fi Diner for lunch
Do a few more things
1.30ish back to the resort for a swim and a rest
5.30 Epcot for Taylor Dayne :cool1::cool1:. Will probably go to the last concert of the night
This is the first day of F&W Fest so will probably grab some tasty bits and pieces from a few countries

Saturday 2 October - 8.20 1900 Park Fare (on Queenie's recommendation)
Then on to Blizzard Beach - the kids are so excited about this.
Not sure when we will leave here. If we get there just after 10am I can't see us staying much past 1 or 2. We will either head to Downtown Disney for a wander or go back to the resort for a rest.
6.35 Kona Cafe then head over to MK to see out our evening

Sunday 3 October - Epcot for F&W
12.10 Teppan Edo for lunch
Bit more wandering
2ish back to the resort for a swim and a rest or if we are travelling okay we will stay on at Epcot
Evening - not sure, maybe Downtown Disney???? will play this by ear

Monday 4 October - Epcot for F&W
1.05 Coral Reef - (edited - have just changed this to 12.30 at Biergarten instead)
Back to the resort for a swim and a rest after lunch
Back to Epcot by 6pm for Kool & the Gang, woohoo, it's a Celebration
Will just enjoy foods from the diff stalls for tea

Tuesday 5 October - Magic Kingdom
Will probably stay all day as want to see the 3pm parade.
Have a 5.45 at Prime Time Cafe, I may change that to later so we have more time between MK & HS
Evening at HS

Wednesday 6 October - Universal/Harry Potter
Haven't looked up the park hours yet but we will catch a cab there and will arrive 30 minutes before opening. The reviews sound like the place is crazy busy and we are only allowing 1 day for both parks which I know is crazy but we all agree that is all we wish to allow. Harry Potter is our priority so we will go to IOA first and head straight to the back. Apparently Ollivander's should be the first stop because the lines are ridiculous. Then on to Forbidden Journey. I don't plan to ride but DH & DD will. I just want to go through the line so I can see the inside of Hogwarts.
We will stay at Universal for as long as our weary bodies will allow us.
Spend the night at the resort.

Thursday 7 October - 8am Boma for breakfast
then on to AK for the morning
Head back to the resort around lunchtime for swim and nap
5pm Epcot
5.25 Rose & Crown for dinner
Evening concert with Sugar Ray

Friday 8 October - not sure yet. EP/HS/MK, whatever we decide we want to do. We might also explore a few resorts instead?
Arvo at the resort, relaxing and packing for sob sob leaving the next day
6.20 Whispering Canyon (I'm not sure about this one either, mixed reviews but I really want to check out WL for our next trip and thought I could kill 2 birds with one stone by eating here) (edited, have just changed this to an evening at Downtown Disney and we are dining at 7.45 at Raglan Road, a good old irish pub with band, how can we pass that up)

Saturday 9 October -
our last morning at WDW. We think probably MK for a few hours? (edited - have booked Whispering Canyon for Breakfast now)

It's actually been good typing all of this out. I have noticed a few things that need to be worked on more:-

- Not much time allowed for Downtown Disney
- Haven't worked out when we would see Illuminations
- Are we spending too much time at Epcot? We love food and wine and live music so it seems like a no brainer that we would spend lots of time there, but we may have to rework things when we are there if we get sick of Epcot LOL.

Okay everyone, let me know your thoughts on the above.

Very impressed with your planning. You seem so organised.

When is the best time to go to Ellen's Diner? I believe that there is a minimum per person and something about a share plate charge.

Did you climb up the Statue of Liberty? We couldn't purchase tickets for the crown but may buy tickets for the pedestal. We took the Staten Island ferry last time.

The girls are looking forward to the M and M store.

I used The Unofficial Guide to Disneyworld to help plan our trip. We bought Hoppers but didn't use them as we tended to stay at the one park all day. Too much of an effort to go back to the hotel for an arvo rest and then go to a park later on.

When we went to Ellen's diner last time it was about 5.30 and there was already 2 people lined up in front of us and the place was full. I'm not sure about minimum orders, etc. We just ordered and paid LOL, I can't recall what it all came to and it was so much fun I just didn't care :rotfl2:.

We did the Statten Island Ferry also. I didn't have any desire to go into the Statue, I just wanted to look at her pretty self from the water and take lots of pics.

Staying at the parks all day everyday is not an option for us, we'd get far too tired to be honest. I wish we were the type to open and close the park. Maybe one day.

Your plan looks great. We have fantasmic planned for the same night as you :wave:

I'm like you, I have not planned NY as much as WDW. WDW I have it all planned and booked, but I have a few days open for either waterpark, pool, shopping and hopefully to get to Universal.

Hey Shuttergirl...great planning :thumbsup2.

Given that it is F&W, I wouldn't worry about thinking that you are spending too much time at Epcot. I'd recommend that whilst you're grazing around the world, that you get the Kim Possible for the kids. There are about 7 missions to complete at the different worlds. I'd recommend that you spread these out over two or three visits so that the kids have something to do.

You could fit in Illuminations on either the 1st or the 7th. You're at Epcot for the concerts and could easily stay a bit longer to see the fireworks.

Wednesday 29 Sept - EMH at AK 8am
Do Safari first thing, haven't worked out what else after that as yet
1.30 Yak & Yeti for lunch
Back to resort for a swim and a rest after that
5.30 Head to Magic Kingdom for Spectro and Fireworks
Will just have CS meal, probably at Cosmic Ray's as it sounds good
Sounds good. Loved Cosmic Rays :thumbsup2
First Safaris of the day are usually good. We had fog because it was a cool morning in winter so photos were out. But it was really fun being in a more 'serene' environment. :)

Saturday 2 October - 8.20 1900 Park Fare (on Queenie's recommendation)
Then on to Blizzard Beach - the kids are so excited about this.
Not sure when we will leave here. If we get there just after 10am I can't see us staying much past 1 or 2. We will either head to Downtown Disney for a wander or go back to the resort for a rest.
6.35 Kona Cafe then head over to MK to see out our evening
:scared1: oh no...:lmao:
But seriously I just can't recommend this place enough. I went in half hearted because I was unsure of the characters...but LOVED the look of the menu ;) but it is just a perfect blend to please boys and girls. The Mad Hatter....sigh...wish I could have breakfast with him all the time.
I hope you enjoy it :wizard:
And TRY THE STRAWBERRY SOUP!!!:cool1::cool1:
And get a hot chocolate....hehe....Hatter loves that

Monday 4 October - Epcot for F&W
1.05 Coral Reef - (edited - have just changed this to 12.30 at Biergarten instead)
Back to the resort for a swim and a rest after lunch
Back to Epcot by 6pm for Kool & the Gang, woohoo, it's a Celebration
Will just enjoy foods from the diff stalls for tea
:thumbsup2
I was unimpressed with Coral Reef. It isn't bad...and I might even go back one day. But Australian Seafood I feel is superior.
Biergarten is SOOOOOOO much fun :woohoo::woohoo:

Wednesday 6 October - Universal/Harry Potter
Haven't looked up the park hours yet but we will catch a cab there and will arrive 30 minutes before opening. The reviews sound like the place is crazy busy and we are only allowing 1 day for both parks which I know is crazy but we all agree that is all we wish to allow. Harry Potter is our priority so we will go to IOA first and head straight to the back. Apparently Ollivander's should be the first stop because the lines are ridiculous. Then on to Forbidden Journey. I don't plan to ride but DH & DD will. I just want to go through the line so I can see the inside of Hogwarts.
We will stay at Universal for as long as our weary bodies will allow us.
Spend the night at the resort.
So what I've read is that it is because Olivanders is SOOOO small and they can only take a small amount of people at once the queues get insane. The 'experience' takes 20mins...
Riding or not I would still go in the queue for Forbidden Journey :thumbsup2
If you aren't a coaster fan I wouldn't do the rebranded duelling dragons. Made me sick that coaster.:headache:

It's actually been good typing all of this out. I have noticed a few things that need to be worked on more:-

- Not much time allowed for Downtown Disney
- Haven't worked out when we would see Illuminations
- Are we spending too much time at Epcot? We love food and wine and live music so it seems like a no brainer that we would spend lots of time there, but we may have to rework things when we are there if we get sick of Epcot LOL.

Okay everyone, let me know your thoughts on the above.
DTD is open until 10 or 11pm.
Don't feel the need to stake a place for Illuminations 30-60mins before. You can see it pretty well from all over. I've come to love it now I don't wait for it :lmao::lmao:
So try and catch it one night and if you do want to see it 'better' then you will know.
It's funny. The CMs working in WS use Illuminations soundtrack and fireworks as a clock :rotfl2::rotfl2:

Hey Shuttergirl...great planning :thumbsup2.

Given that it is F&W, I wouldn't worry about thinking that you are spending too much time at Epcot. I'd recommend that whilst you're grazing around the world, that you get the Kim Possible for the kids. There are about 7 missions to complete at the different worlds. I'd recommend that you spread these out over two or three visits so that the kids have something to do.

You could fit in Illuminations on either the 1st or the 7th. You're at Epcot for the concerts and could easily stay a bit longer to see the fireworks.

That's what I thought, we would just see what was happening those nights and if we were finished with the bands, and still up for more, watch Illuminations.

Queenie - you better be right about 1900 Park Fare or I'll come after you when I get back :lmao:. Only joking. You had me at "hello" when I read Mary Poppins is there. Long story short, DD12 loves her and we just couldn't catch her at DL last year. I'd pay the earth for my daughter to meet her so the food is secondary for this one. Am totally trying the strawberry soup, I'm sure it's awful but I'm trying it.

Yeah, I think Biergarten will be much more fun than Coral Reef, although I thought the menu looked nice.

Sounds like we agree on Harry (gosh will wonders never cease ;)). We will just do the best we can with the time we have I guess. Everything over and above Harry is just gravy.

Where in Epcot is a good spot to just wander up and check out the fireworks???

Queenie has given you a great recommendation in 1900 Park Fare. We love the breakfast and the dinner with those step sisters and couldn't decide between them so we are going both :rotfl:

Once when we went, my DS saw the mad hatter coming and took off (to the buffet to hide) so he would miss him. When the mad hatter got to our table he asked where everybody was and I said that my DS was hiding from him. He bellowed "HIDING FROM ME" and let out his laugh and off he went looking for him, calling his name, around the buffet it was absolutely hilarious! He didn't find him as he kept moving out of site. So the mad hatter moved on and eventually my DS came back to the table. When the coast was clear and it looked like the mad hatter was going to vanish from the room, he came sneaking up behind my DS and made the biggest scene bellowing his name and laughing had the whole restaurant watching us. It was so funny and we ended up getting a photo with my DS and the mad hatter, we were crying with laughter it was so funny.

It is well worth the visit :thumbsup2

Queenie has given you a great recommendation in 1900 Park Fare. We love the breakfast and the dinner with those step sisters and couldn't decide between them so we are going both :rotfl:

Once when we went, my DS saw the mad hatter coming and took off (to the buffet to hide) so he would miss him. When the mad hatter got to our table he asked where everybody was and I said that my DS was hiding from him. He bellowed "HIDING FROM ME" and let out his laugh and off he went looking for him, calling his name, around the buffet it was absolutely hilarious! He didn't find him as he kept moving out of site. So the mad hatter moved on and eventually my DS came back to the table. When the coast was clear and it looked like the mad hatter was going to vanish from the room, he came sneaking up behind my DS and made the biggest scene bellowing his name and laughing had the whole restaurant watching us. It was so funny and we ended up getting a photo with my DS and the mad hatter, we were crying with laughter it was so funny.

It is well worth the visit :thumbsup2

I adore stories like this. It totally is proof that if you interact with the characters you get much more rewarding experiences

Is it kind of sad that I am already looking at the menus for those restaurants and choosing what I want to eat. Then I am "google imaging" the meals i like to see if they look as good as I think.

I may have crossed a line into insanity.:rotfl2:

Oh and I bought my first ever pair of Crocs this week. Oh no:scared1:. My husband thinks I have officially lost my mind.

It's just that my feet suffered so much at DL last time and I've read amazing things about the crocs for the parks on here so I'm willing to try anything. I do agree that i may have left "fashion" and "common sense" behind though :rotfl:

Is it kind of sad that I am already looking at the menus for those restaurants and choosing what I want to eat. Then I am "google imaging" the meals i like to see if they look as good as I think.

I may have crossed a line into insanity.:rotfl2:

Oh and I bought my first ever pair of Crocs this week. Oh no:scared1:. My husband thinks I have officially lost my mind.

It's just that my feet suffered so much at DL last time and I've read amazing things about the crocs for the parks on here so I'm willing to try anything. I do agree that i may have left "fashion" and "common sense" behind though :rotfl:

:lmao::rotfl2::rotfl: No it is not sad that you have already chosen what you will be eating. I already know at several restaurants what I will be eating :lmao: What is sad is that we are having to go to a few places more than once because there are more than one thing that we want to eat! Now that is sad :lmao:

Congratulations on your first pair of crocs :yay: We all have the croc athens thongs. We all wore them for three straight weeks at WDW, walking miles and miles (I lost 5kgs in that three weeks from the amount of walking :rotfl: had to buy new shorts whist there) and not a sore foot to be felt. Crocs are such a comfortable thing to wear, they have support for your feet, very comfy for days of walking. I suggest that you get walking in them and wear them in before you go though, to help prevent any blisters (not that you will get them from normal wear, but walking such long distances around WDW in new shoes is not the best :thumbsup2

Yes I've been wearing them around the house and have received many strange looks from fashion conscious DD12 and my label loving DH (he's his label loving Mother's son :rotfl2:).

He has admitted that the ones i ordered, which kind of look like sneakers with a white band around them, don't look too bad.

And another funny thing from DH tonight. I bought him some cool vintage Grumpy t-shirts from Disney.com and he said he may take them to wear at WDW. Shock horror amazing. And then I said "I don't expect you to wear them in NY or anything" and he said "oh I think they would be okay to wear in NY"

You could've knocked me over with a feather.

My DH sooooo doesn't do matching shirts or Disney shirts but he seems to like his "Grumpy" ones :lmao:

You guys are too funny. :rotfl:
I didn't get into looking at food photos...but I read menus.
That is PERFECTLY normal!!
:lmao: :rotfl:

Don't get me started on crocs though..............give me keens any day :thumbsup2

There is a Crocs model called "Cleo" that looks a bit better. It is a little like a pair of thongs but the front band goes over the toes like a sandal, rather than in between the toes. They are just as comfortable as the others and not as silly looking.

The athens that we wear was discontinued by Crocs in the US. They bought out all of these new thong styles and none were as comfortable as the Athens. Even my DS wouldn't wear any other than the Athens. I think that they got so many complaints about removing the Athens (as they are just SO comfortable) that they did bring them back for the summer but in limited colours.
Here is the Athens
http://www.crocs.com.au/product_detail.php?page=special&id=10024&cid=343
They are not the most attractive but OMG there is just no other shoe as comfortable (mind you I don't actually wear mine out of the house, other than at WDW as they are not very feminine even though mine are pink but they are great for men :rotfl:)

They have just bought out a new style of thong that is apparantly supposed to replace the Athens. Its the Modi Flip. Haven't tried them yet but will try them when we get to the US to see if they are as comfortable. They are getting good reviews so far from fellow Athens lovers :rotfl: These are the new ones.
http://www.crocs.com/crocs-modi-flip/10804,default,pd.html?cid=01Z&q=athens

I don't really like anything between my toes, hence my dislike of anything thong like :lmao:. And I agree, these crocs are only for around the house and WDW :rotfl2:. That's it.

Just remembered
If you are celebrating anything then tell them
(even if it is a birthday that happened 3 months ago still tell them)
It could even be first trip to the world! But it is very common for birthdays and anniversaries to be celebrated before or after.
Because when we told them our celebration we got these placemats at 1900 park fare.
1900parkfareplacemat.jpg

Obviously I can't guarantee they will still have them but it has been their tradition for a few years.
Generally whenever you dine tell them about celebrations. And actually add them to the ADR as well because this can mean something special is already ready. We only added it to a couple and one was Ohana breakfast and I got a hand written card signed by all the characters addressed personally to me about my specific celebration.

Of course this was about the only redeeming feature of Ohana...and makes me wish we had added the celebration to every ADR as while they do have special muffins they bring you even if you tell them when you get there...this special pre prepared card was pretty awesome.

Because Mary Poppins is so special you could also have this added to the ADR. I know when you do them online there is a space to fill in information about the person celebrating. I'm not sure if you can add it to the ADR online later but you could definitely ring them and tell them to add to the ADR about your DD being really excited about Mary Poppins. You can also check with the person you 'check in' at the restaurant with if it can be noted if it hasn't already. If all else fails maybe track down the character handler.

This is the muffin
ChefMickeycake-1.jpg

Queenie - I LOVE that placemat and love your idea about adding a celebration to our ADR there. Thanks so much for the info.

Cola - we went to the Halloween party at DL last year and whilst we enjoyed it very much, we feel it was a very costly event and have decided there are lots of wonderful other things we can see this time. It's definitely something great to do once though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter