My sad trip report . . .

I am so sorry this happened to you. I hope that you will be able to go again and enjoy a wonderful trip.

To be honest, we are scheduled to go this winter and I am fearful of the same thing happening. Our schools are getting hit with this so hard - my daughter had "assumed" H1N1 last week - but the rest of our family has not gotten it yet. I am not even enjoying the planning anymore . I know we are just as likely to get sick here as in WDW, it's not that . . .but all the planning and expectation. . .

Obviously, the number one priority is everyone's health . . .but it is still hard to have your trip interrupted. Good luck with future plans.

I'm so sorry to hear about your sad trip. :grouphug: I am also afraid that this will happen to us as well. I hope that you will be able to reschedule your trip and replace this trip with wonderful memories.

i'm pretty sure that my daughter had swine flu already, and i was sick the week before her, but we're not sure if that's what we had or not. the pediatrician said that is what it is, more than likely. i'm hoping we're immune.

we're getting regular flu vaccinations, but not for h1n1.

makes me reconsider travel insurance. i know that disney has a great cancellation policy, but what if you're there and cancel? do you still get your money back?

again, i'm so sorry. i'd just be devastated. it's one thing to have to cancel before you leave, but to turn around and have to go home. just heartbreaking. :(

I'm so sorry for that happened, however, I'm glad everyone is OK. I hope you can plan another trip in the near future.

How awful for you!:sad1: That is one of my biggest fears for our upcoming trip! We leave the Sat. after Thanksgiving.

We have two boys in high school and the high schools in our area are getting hit hard here with "flu like symptoms!"

I'm hoping that if we are meant to get it, we get it and get it over with before we go.

A friend of mine told me there is a free shuttle to the urgent care. Can anyone confirm that????

To the OP...think of how special that NEXT trip will be--you'll have so much to look forward to!:grouphug:

I'm sorry to hear your kids got sick. This is my worst nightmare, especially traveling during the winter months when the percentage is so much higher to get sick.

Danielle

I'm so sorry!! Your family must have been crushed.

We're leaving next week, and I'm so scared that this will happen to us, too. The flu is terrible in our area, and nobody has had it yet.

The ironic thing is that I planned it for this time of year to avoid flu season.

Shows what I know...:headache:

My DS tested positive for H1N1 two weeks ago and he was so sick - I can't even imagine if we had been on vacation at the time. My heart goes out to you and your whole family! :grouphug:

How very sad.

I am so sorry.

Would anything make the kids feel better? I know there are people on the community board that are willing to send post cards and such from WDW. Look for the Fairy God Mailers thread. I'm not sure if that would make it better or worse if it were my kids.

I know the only cure for me would be to start planing the next trip.

:flower3: Awww, your poor family.

Next trip will be great, I promise. :grouphug:

Darn. I am sorry. That sounds SO crappy. I got sick on our Disneyland trip. Luckily it was just me and I was feeling a lot better by mid morning the second day, but it is NO fun being sick on vacation.

Like others have said, this is one of my biggest fears! I mean you plan and plan and then something like this happens. I am sorry for your family!

My kids (the older two) had the "assumed" H1N1 this past week and I'm pretty sure I have it now. I wasn't going to get them the seasonal flu shot, but now I plan to because with our trip in Dec. it will be right in the height of it I'm sure.

Plan another trip as soon as you can! Look into May.

Yeah, been there, done that too. My whole family got so sick durring our trip, we were totally stuck in our tiny little room with 3 people throwing up and doing... other things.... It was NOT pretty. I 100% understand how you feel about losing all that money and all the time you spent planning. Hope your able to get your family back there again soon!

Wow...:sad2:

Your trip report brought tears to my eyes. And I thought me and DH had it bad when our trip was rained out when we went in May. All I can say is that you WILL return to Disney and have your dream vacation so don't give up on that.

Sending positive energy your way.:goodvibes

I am so sorry for you & for your kids. It is so disappointing when a trip doesn't go as planned -- ESPECIALLY when you've planned & dreamed about it for so long.

Our trip 10/1 - 10/10, almost didn't happen. Like you, I'd been planning for over a year. I was able to get ideal ADRs. I was totally pumped at the idea of 9 glorious nights at my favorite place on earth! Then, the weekend before we were to leave on Thursday, I started having abdominal pain. I learned on Tuesday that I would have to have emergency gall bladder surgery on Wednesday. My doctor was supportive of me still going on Thursday if I felt like it. Well, things were more complicated than he'd first thought. I almost had a seven inch incision with a couple of days in the hospital! Luckily, it was done lapriscopically & we took our trip.

While I was thrilled to be there, I was disappointed that it wasn't the trip I'd planned. We didn't do the water parks and I canceled my Keys to the Kingdom tour. I just didn't have the stamina. I rested that day instead. I missed riding the coasters with my kids. I moved a lot slower than usual too.

I'm not trying to take away from your story or your disappointment. I just wanted to say I understand and I sympathize. Did you talk to anyone (a manager?) to see if you could get any money back on the unused days in your hotel? I'm so sorry you missed out on your ideal vacation, but I am glad that your family is all healthy now.

Sending hugs...

I understand. you spent good money for a trip and was not able to fully enjoy it. at least the first day was an MK day, and the great memory of that day will keep you going until you can go again. :goodvibes

sending you a pixie dust hug via the thread. :wizard:

That is so sad. I was so afraid I will get the swine flu when we go down there turns out I just got it, I think I am the only person that was happy to hear the results I got medicine and I am getting better little by little.

First, I want to say thank you to everyone who responded to my post! It was comforting to read the many nice thoughts . . .
I'm sorry to hear about many others who had their vacations ruined by illness or other uncontrollable events. It really stinks when you have so much invested emotionally and $$, and things go waaaay different than planned.

One thing that I do want to add is that we used Florida Centra Care Urgent Care Clinic near DTD. The dr was very nice, but we waited for over 2 hours. I wish I had known that they take appointments. I would have much rather waited in the comfort of our condo than in a crowded waiting room. I hope no one reading this ever needs that info, but I wanted you to be aware that they do take appointments. Someone asked about shuttles from the resorts. Yes, shuttles were offered.

So many of you asked questions and I'm going to try my best to answer them. This is my first attempt at a multi-quote post so, hang in there with me.

Were you able to get a refund from your resort?QUOTE]
Due to our large family size and budget restrictions, we stayed offsite at Windsor Hills. It was a beautiful condo and Windsor Hills far exceeded our expectations, but no we were not able to get any kind of refund.

OT: Your ticket budget for next time will be sorely strained if there aren't enough days on your current tickets to do next time without buying yet more ticket cards halfwy through. That is unless Disney cut you a unique "Ann is a very special person" break on the non-expiration you just got.
LOL nope, we didn't get a "very special person" break on the non-expiration upgrade. However, for some reason when I orginally purchased the tickets, I added one extra day than I had planned at the parks. So, when we go back this July or next, we will still have the same number of days at the park we'd orginally planned.

I commend you for doing the right thing! It had to be so hard after all that planning. Many people would have stayed and dragged their kids around despite the flu. We saw so many sick kids last weekend.
Disney will always be there and it will be perfect next time!
Awww . . . thank you. This response meant a lot to me.

You poor thing--I can't imagine why anyone would flame you! Of course you're all disappointed.
I can't explain why I was afraid of flames! I really didn't want to hear "there's a lot worse going on in the world than a ruined Disney trip" I do know that in the whole scheme of things, our messed up trip is really minor. But right now, I just needed a little understanding which I got in heaps!!!:love:

We were at WDW this past June and the weather was hot and humid. Also, the crowds were crazy!!!!! 110 minutes stand-by for Test Track on a Thursday morning!!!!! Also, I don't recommend the month of July either because it gets even worse!!!! :goodvibes Jennifer
This is what I'm really worried about! I can't recall reading anything good about July. Unfortunately, July is just about our only option. So, if you're reading this and you have something great to say about July, please share!!!

Thanks again for all the kind words!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter