My rude bellman at the Poly......

I have watched this board for many years in silence, gaining a wealth of knowledge.

I must share my experience with the Poly bell services as the original poster had an experience totally opposite to mine.

Our list of problems is long:

We left Maine on Nov 5 for the Poly. The day before we left I got a call from Visa Fraud and was told my credit card number was stolen; obviously I had to close my account. There was no way to get the replacement card in time and we had to use my wife’s card. (maybe she will pay the trip charges off…..NOT)

We had reservations on American to leave here at 5:30 am and arrive in Orlando at about noon. Well that did not happen either. With mechanical problems on 3 flights that morning we did not leave home until 9:30 and did not arrive in Orlando until 6:00 pm…30 minutes after our reservations for Ohana.

We were given vouchers for another airline (Delta) but were not given boarding passes (until a Delta agent looked at what we had and then fixed it) We were rerouted through Boston (I can’t get 9/11 out of my head) which had extreme winds when landing (I hate to fly) and then had to transfer to another air line which for some reason had to land at every airport on the east coast.

We arrived at the airport, ready to get to the Poly and gear down. But guess what doesn’t make it? Yup…no luggage. Off to make the claim for our lost luggage. No problem, it will be delivered to our hotel.

Off to Dollar to get our van. No problem in getting the van…except the wait.

We arrive at the Poly 15 hours after leaving our house. The check in was quick and easy.

Being hungry we tried to get in to Ohana at 8:45, explaining our day to the reservation folks; I thought I might be blackmailed for not showing up for our PS earlier that night. To my surprise they made a special effort to get us in before the fire works.

The next day was spent in trying to find our luggage. I called the airline, transportation company for the airline, and Poly bell services. I talked to talking computers, caring airline employees, non-caring airline employees, voice mails (non answered), and finally my wife talked to Greg at the Poly who could not believe what we had gone through.

I was told everything from my bags being picked up for delivery at 7am that morning to the airport having no idea where my bags were. After two days at Disney without clothes, we were ready to come home (well I was anyway).

Sorry to make this so long, but what saved our trip was Greg at the Poly who had called his “contacts” at MCO and had folks search for our luggage. I had gone back to the airport to confront the airline(s) involved to help me find my luggage and I was told it was found at another airline. It was found only because Greg has contacts at MCO.

You have no idea what it is like to go in to a huge city airport, ask for your luggage and have folks know who you are when you don’t even give your name. I have nothing but high praise for the Poly staff. They were the only ones who cared about our trip.

With Kind Regards

Brian

OK, tipping is a hard to figure out fact of life, but here are a few thoughts. Also, I always tip 20% at a restaurant unless service was subpar, which is not often the case, and I will tip $4 to $5 for a $10-12 haircut, and have never considered myself to be cheap.

However..........................................................

Are you tipping $20 to $25 to the bell person(s) because you think they deserve it, or because you feel obligated and you don't want your day ruined by a snobby bell person/valet while on vacation, or in some instances maybe it makes you feel "rich" to be able to be loose with your money while on vacation (I think you know what I mean by that - and I'm not saying that's a bad thing necessarily). Can you honestly say that a belll hop should earn $20 for a quick trip up to a room, when millions work hard, long hours in factories, offices, and other places for less than $10/hour?

Dreamflight .................... nothing personal, but if you have a poolman, gardener, ventures to Paris/London, etc. you probably have more money to tip than most.

Where does the list of people to tip stop?

Maybe we should tip each of the Disney characters:

$5 for an autograph; and
$5 per photo, up to a max of $20.

They make our trips to Disney as special as any of us humans!!!

P.S. Autographs and two group photos with the seven dwarfs would cost $105.

::yes::

Just got back from 1st visit to WL. Parked car and took luggage (3bags) up to the front ent. where we are met by a bellman? He gave my wife a receipt for the luggage and I tipped him $4 and he said when your room is ready, it's 11am now, just give ticket at front desk and your luggage will be brought to your room. 5 min later I'm checked in and to my suprise our room is ready. Hand the ticket in , another bellman brings in our luggage and says he will meet us at our room. My wife looks at me and says "oh just tip him, were on vacation" I agreed! Bellman are the cheapest @Disney!

Hi,

I have a question about tipping. We just got back from the Poly and attended the Aloha dinner with my dh and 2 ds. I ordered a drink not included in the dinner and received a bill at the end. Tucked inside the bill folder was a bill for the drink and a card that said that gratuity was not included in the bill and would be very welcome (or words to that effect). So I paid with a credit card and filled in a tip for the drink and the entire dinner. I also noted on the slip that the tip was for the dinner too.

Our waitress, who had been very nice and attentive all evening long, then acted as if I had given her a small treasure! She came over, thanked us profusely, and cleaned out the glass my drink came in and wrapped it up for me to bring home as a souvenier, etc.

Has anyone heard that gratuity is not included in the Aloha dinner? Has anyone seen this 'tipping card' before? Did it just refer to the drink? Did I overtip? I didn't see other diners leave tips on tables.

Pizzaman, I think the extremely nice gentleman at Poly's bell services, who took care of us in 2002 and 2003, may have been Greg. Unfortunately, I did not remember his name (I will check it out next week), but the name "Greg" rings a bell ;). When I emailed WDW last year to praise some of the CMs we dealt with (the girl from MK's Lost and Found, our mousecleaner, to name a few), I made sure I gave a physical description of "Greg," hoping he would get some sort of praise for his outstanding service. He was friendly, outgoing, and cares about guests. In our experience with him, he goes above and beyond.

Tink

Originally posted by jasper

Dreamflight .................... nothing personal, but if you have a poolman, gardener, ventures to Paris/London, etc. you probably have more money to tip than most.
Nothing taken. But, please...let me assure you. Your presumptions are way off the mark. All the persons living and working in my community pay for these services, and much more! I HAVE these service persons in my life to actually RETAIN more $$$ in my pocket. I have done the math, and the time invested in maintaining our yard, pool, etc., is more logically expended WORKING in our professions and making $$ to pay these people. This is not for everyone, everywhere. I have literally taken the "hours" vs. MY PAY, and everytime...I come out ahead (with more personal time/money, hiring someone to perform these tasks). It is therefore more conducive for me to hire-out professionals for these tasks. We are meeting with our contractor next week to begin construction on another phase of our pool house. We could do it ourselves, *(framing, sheetrock, electrical, rockwork, etc.), but the time would be better put to use working in our own professions. This actually enables us to happily PAY someone else to properly complete the work. It also reduces stress, anxiety and other negative emotions associated with attempting to "take-on" all these extra chores.

I never "flash" anything while traveling, least of all cash. I've seen it done, and it's tacky and classless. It's like the "last of the big spenders" key character trait...LOL. :rotfl: The statement in regards to hourly wage is a moot point. Persons working in factories, etc., choose to do so. Traveling to nice locations, where such services (you are free to stay at a motel six, and not TIP anyone...as no one is there to offer any services!) are offered, constitutes added expenses. Even factory workers save to take a nice vacation, and be "pampered" by luxurious services. The DCL has a "tipping" system in place for all their associates.

Here in California, homeless people can make more than $20 an hour (substantially more!) standing at an intersection holding a sign which reads: "Will work for food." Folks pull up, roll down the window...and hand them some bills. The sign should read, "Relinquishing some of your hard-earned money will absolve your sins." Most people just FEEL better Giving. They do not want to think they are truly supporting a drug/alcohol addiction.

I still believe strongly in tipping, and not because of any subliminal fears regarding the care of my belongings. Because it is the "proper" thing to do. ::yes:: In this society of rules and morays, there are also rules of etiquette. Tipping, is one of these. ;)

TTFN...DF99 :wave2:

When I would transfer luggage from ASMo to another value or moderate resort, their luggage CM would usually help unload my van and store it in their luggage room. However, at a deluxe resort it was like I had the plague. When I pulled up, the bellmen seemed to disappear. Perhaps because they knew they would have to work without the hope of a tip? I can only speculate, but they never were very helpful. I know there can be a long list of people waiting to transfer to a bellmen's position because they can make a lot of tips. Goodness, $/each bag... and he delivers to ## guest rooms a day.... Seems like a lot of money for a little effort. I only WISH that when I worked at ASMo that I could deliver one guests luggage at a time in an air conditioned corridor. Instead we usually had 4-5 rooms to deliver to at a time and had to push that huge luggage cart in the hot FL sun - up and down elevators one building to the next. Go figure. And another thing I noticed - the more bags someone had - the less your chances for a tip.
But personally, I have never needed assistance for my luggage. I only have a carry-on and a small rolling suitcase which I can handle myself just fine. If I packed more than my family or I could handle, then I would factor in my tips with my vacation costs, but I don't believe in tipping just because it's expected. I tip for good service only. If I receive poor service, that's too bad for them. That's just more money for the next guy who is willing to go above and beyond.

This is so confusing!!

I will probably not be very popular for this, but I really think people who work for "tip wages" (what is it - $3 an hour or something?) deserve to be tipped because they aren't making a decent amount to begin with. The amount of the tip should reflect the quality of the service. I also have no problem tipping someone who helps me bring my bags to my room IF I want/need help.

DH and I are not rich folks. DS is the most important thing in our lives and we want to bring him to WDW. DH is already worried about the cost AND being nickeled and dimed to death every time we turn around. I am happy to carry ALL of our luggage if I need to. We are staying in a value resort and we don't need a lot of extra services.

We will (hopefully) arrive about 11:00 AM. Check in isn't until 3:00 PM so I am assuming our luggage will be stored until our room is ready, then someone will take it there for us? How am I supposed to make sure my luggage is cared for properly if the person who moves it to the room is offended that they won't get a tip? Perhaps I should ask them NOT to move my luggage. I'll come get it myself after the parks close for the night.

That was more harsh than I intended. The point is, we DON'T have much extra money (as DH has pointed out every day since I started planning this trip). I certainly want to give a tip where a tip is due, but $25 just to move my bags?! We are only paying $55 per night for the hotel, for crying out loud!

I really hope the value resort employees are fairly compensated through their wages because they probably won't get much additional income from me. I ALWAYS tip housekeeping, because as a nanny myself those ladies have a special place in my heart. I like to be fair but I can't afford to tip every single person I come into contact with. I promise you my wages aren't much (if any!) more than theirs!

Overall I think tipping (and the expectations for tips) have gotten WAY out of hand. If people are paid at least minimum wage then they should accept any and all tips graciously and get on with it - not make faces and count the money in front of the guest!

I would say, don't panic over the whole tipping thing.

We stayed at the POP last year, We arrived in a Mears van, and tipped the driver who was moving LOTS of luggage around.
We wheeled our own luggage in with us when we went to the check in counter, I can't remember if we politely declined the bell hop, or if they were just too busy with other guests. I'm pretty sure we just grabbed the bags and walked in.

While one of us dealt with checking in, the other two of us walked the bags over to the luggage check in, and handed them over to be tagged and brought up to the room when ready. There was not even a shadow of someone expecting a tip.

When we got back to the room, later, the bags were there. Fine and dandy. If we'd been there when they arrived, we would have tipped the handler - a buck a bag. But we weren't.

Don't worry.

WE end up alls over tipping due to the fact that we end up with tons of small bag things...backpacks, laptops, camera bags...how do I figure the tip on these bags...Last year moving from the BW to the Dolphin I tipped $60 ....$30 to each bellman....granted it was christmas so we did have bags with christmas presents and boxes of decorations that we lugged between the 2 hotels...but I'm hoping to save on tipping this year when we move....fingers crossed....

Originally posted by jackskellingtonsgirl
This is so confusing!!

I will probably not be very popular for this, but I really think people who work for "tip wages" (what is it - $3 an hour or something?) deserve to be tipped because they aren't making a decent amount to begin with. The amount of the tip should reflect the quality of the service. I also have no problem tipping someone who helps me bring my bags to my room IF I want/need help.

DH and I are not rich folks. DS is the most important thing in our lives and we want to bring him to WDW. DH is already worried about the cost AND being nickeled and dimed to death every time we turn around. I am happy to carry ALL of our luggage if I need to. We are staying in a value resort and we don't need a lot of extra services.

We will (hopefully) arrive about 11:00 AM. Check in isn't until 3:00 PM so I am assuming our luggage will be stored until our room is ready, then someone will take it there for us? How am I supposed to make sure my luggage is cared for properly if the person who moves it to the room is offended that they won't get a tip? Perhaps I should ask them NOT to move my luggage. I'll come get it myself after the parks close for the night.

That was more harsh than I intended. The point is, we DON'T have much extra money (as DH has pointed out every day since I started planning this trip). I certainly want to give a tip where a tip is due, but $25 just to move my bags?! We are only paying $55 per night for the hotel, for crying out loud!

I really hope the value resort employees are fairly compensated through their wages because they probably won't get much additional income from me. I ALWAYS tip housekeeping, because as a nanny myself those ladies have a special place in my heart. I like to be fair but I can't afford to tip every single person I come into contact with. I promise you my wages aren't much (if any!) more than theirs!

Overall I think tipping (and the expectations for tips) have gotten WAY out of hand. If people are paid at least minimum wage then they should accept any and all tips graciously and get on with it - not make faces and count the money in front of the guest!

Give what you feel is appropriate for the service rendered. I would tip $1 per bag to the person who brings them to your room after you check in the actual room. You can go ahead and check in when you arrive. You might get lucky and a room will be ready. If not I don't think they will take your bags to your room until you are actually in the room.

Don't worry about it and if you get any dirty looks just remember looks do not kill.

If they get too rude simply take note of their name and call management.

Thanks for the support! I know we can't be the only family going to WDW without a lot of extra money. I really don't mind tipping personnel who customarily receive tips if they have provided adequate (or better) service.

A friend of mine was actually confronted by the guy doing curbside baggage at the airport when she failed to tip him. Unfortunately I don't recall what city it was in. He made her feel so awful that she just gave him a $20 because that was all she had! Nobody should be in a situation like that!:scared1:

Originally posted by jackskellingtonsgirl
Thanks for the support! I know we can't be the only family going to WDW without a lot of extra money. I really don't mind tipping personnel who customarily receive tips if they have provided adequate (or better) service.

A friend of mine was actually confronted by the guy doing curbside baggage at the airport when she failed to tip him. Unfortunately I don't recall what city it was in. He made her feel so awful that she just gave him a $20 because that was all she had! Nobody should be in a situation like that!:scared1:

If someone actually makes you feel uncomfortable enough to give a tip you had not planned to give, that is harrassement. Definitely do not give in to this and contact management.

Originally posted by Minybear
Thanks for the breakdown. I wish tiping was all included in these resorts. I just wish it was all done with and we wouldn't have to worry if we tipped to much or too little. Tipping is very frustrating for both the CM and the guest:( (thats just my opinion).

Minybear

Unfortunately, I have found that when I go to resorts where they include gratuities in the price of the room, the people that you come into contact with are still looking for a tip. They give you a whole shpiel about how they don't see any of that money that you paid already, blah, blah, blah. NOW THAT is really annoying.

Originally posted by gjerseygirl
Unfortunately, I have found that when I go to resorts where they include gratuities in the price of the room, the people that you come into contact with are still looking for a tip.

I work at a resort that includes gratuities into their room rate and the staff person should first decline the tip (this is what they should do but at times don't) and if the guest is determined then the staff person will take the tip.

Originally posted by gjerseygirl
They give you a whole shpiel about how they don't see any of that money that you paid already, blah, blah, blah. NOW THAT is really annoying.

I have heard this also with our resort. Lucky for me I am not one of the tipped personel.

Thanks to everybody who has voiced opinions on tipping. I have learned a lot. I actually get a clenched feeling in my stomach when in luggage "situations." The dynamic is also a little different with a woman traveling alone with kids than it is when traveling as part of a couple with kids. The last time I went to WL, there were six different people who handled our bags: 1) from room to lobby; 2) from lobby to storage area; 3) from storage area back to lobby; 4) from lobby to pavement; 5) from pavement to towncar, and 6) the guy who joined the first guy to load the bags into the trunk of the towncar. How many bags, you might ask? 3 dufflels with shoulder straps and three regular-size backpacks. What should I have done?

Originally posted by Sammie
"Believe me" if you have a pool house, a pool which needs a pool man, gardens that need a gardener, trips to Europe, limos, etc. then "Yes" you have more income than most of us or more debt.

Not sure about the comments about factory workers, seemed like a stereotype putdown. Hopefully that is not what you meant. :)

As to etiquette, I guess what one considers proper someone else does not.

I tip for good service, I never feel I have to.
"Believing you" (Sammie)...is relatively a matter of opinion. This thread is NOT about INCOME, (more/less, etc). It's about TIPPING. Some very wealthy persons TIP the least, if at all. Some persons with very little income, are the MOST generous. In College, I worked in the service industry. I became aware of the generalizations and "stereotypes" synomymous with tipping based upon perceived status or wealth of the individual, and/or even ethnicity.

TIPS are granted based upon individual expectations and receipt of good service. No one is ever "forced" to tip.

It's wrong of a skycap to expect a tip, however, whenever I use a skycap I always tip at least a dollar a bag. If I don't want to tip then I bring my bags into the terminal and check in there. Tipping in that case is a small price to pay for not having to lug my bags in, especially when traveling with kids.

T&B

Originally posted by ScarletFire
$5 for the guy who helps you load it on the cart.

$5 per bag to the guy that brings it up to a max of $20.

Gives these guys a break. We can afford to go to WDW and they make lousy wages. Plus, I believe you get better service during your stay if you tip.

Same here but I pay $10 for the guy that takes the stuf out of the car and always $20 to the guy that takes it to the room. I usually have a few large and a couple small bags but always tip $20 for that. It saves my back and well worth the added expense!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter