• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

My review of the Polynesian

CoraJack

Earning My Ears
Hi all...just back from the Poly! Overall I give the resort a 8.5 out of 10.

I loved the theming first of all. Complete tropical paradise.

I did NOT like the distance of our room from the Great Ceremonial House. It was almost a 10 minute walk. This meant that we did not use our unlimited refills on our cups more than two times. It just didn't seem worth a 20 minute round trip walk to get a Coke. I called, faxed, and called again to confirm a room close to the GCH.

I loved having the monorail as a transportation option. But again, had we been closer to the GCH it would have been nicer. We rode the monorail every time we could.

I also enjoyed having the Resort Launch boat as an option for transportation. We discovered this our last day there and used it to go to and from the MK. Fun!

If I were the manager at the Poly I'd make sure that ALL CAST MEMBERS said "Aloha" and "Mahalo". Only about 1/3 of them used those words with us while we were there and when they did it really enhanced our experience. I know it sounds trivial, but it made a difference to us. When the CMs would say hello to us we'd always say "Aloha" back and one CM even said, "Yes, that sounds better to me!" So I'm not sure why it's not a policy there for them to use those well-known words.

The room and balcony were wonderful--the only gripes with the room was that the TV was half the size of the one we had at the All-Star Sports! And I also like having the sinks and mirror outside the shower/toilet area so more than one person can get ready at one time. At the Poly everything is together in one room. The dual sinks were nice, but would have been nicer outside of the shower/toilet area.

Having the fast food area open 24 hours was another advantage of this resort. But again, we didn't use it that much due to the hike we had to take to get there.

All in all I'd definitely go back to the Poly. But one night we rode the monorail to the Contemporary and I've decided that I'd like to try that resort next.

Aloha!
Christina

What building were you in and what view did you have? Was the volcano pool really crowded all day? We're supposed to stay there for 2 of our 10 nights in July. Thanks, Tracey

The building we were in was Rapa Nui. Our view was considered "garden"...we overlooked a path with pretty flora and fauna. We could walk to the Transportation and Ticket Center in about the same amount of time we could walk to the Great Ceremonial House. Only problem is if you walk to the TTC to catch the monorail anywhere then you are stuck in a huge crowd. It was nicer to walk to the Great Ceremonial House to get the monorail to stay away from the crowds.

We did not have time to swim, but every time we walked past the pool there was hardly anyone in it. I think the most we saw in there at any one time was 10 people or so.

But--in July it may be different. We went early June so really there were not alot of crowds anywhere anyways.

As far as I'm concerned the best buildings to stay in would be Rarotonga , Tonga, or Niue. Samoa is right by the volcano pool so if you will be doing alot of swimming that might be a good one for you to request. But requesting does not always mean you are going to get it, that's for sure.

I'm sure you will enjoy the resort.

Christina

I would not count on the pool being uncrowded. We were at Poly in February and there was always quite a crowd when we were swimming in the pool. There were still a lot of people in the pool when we were walking to dinner.

The theming at the Polynesian is incredible--I'm glad to see you enjoyed it, too. :)

The walks can be far, depending on the longhouse. We ended up getting a small cooler to eliminate walks to Captain Cooks all the time. I'm afraid we also used the vending machine a great deal (that can be costly LOL) . Other than that, we actually loved the long paths. After a big Disney meal, we put the walk over to the GF to good use. It was our routine after-dinner calorie burner. LOL

Mahalo for your review! :)

Hello and thank you for the information. What do you mean when you say you get in a huge crowd when you walk to the TTC. Do you mean when you get there it is crowded? We were planning on using it to go to Epcot. However, we have our own van. Do you feel it would be better just to drive there to avoid the crowds? We requested Tahiti bldg. because it is close to the TTC but after reading your comments, I wonder if we should ask for Raratonga to be closer to the GCH. Help please - we leave in 2 days.

I stayed at the poly three times, once in Tahiti, and twice in Hawaii (which is concierge, and the best location imho!)
tahiti is the farthest longhouse, but we didnt find it too far of a walk at all. actually it was a pretty walk, we liked it!

Tonga is all suites, so you cant stay there in a regular room.

raratonga is a good location, if you want to be in a very convenient longhouse, but you have to be sure to request quiet pool view, or you could end up w/parking lot view!

when we were at the Poly in november, the pool was packed! so dont count on it being empty! and when it is crowded, it seems crowded, cause it isnt big at all!

I agree with you about the bathroom set up. I really missed having the separate vanity/dressing area, you get used to that on vacation!

but, yes, the Polynesian does have fantastic theming! it is truly amazing, the tropical paradise feeling there!

Laura :)

I stayed at the poly three times, once in Tahiti, and twice in Hawaii (which is concierge, and the best location imho!)
tahiti is the farthest longhouse, but we didnt find it too far of a walk at all. actually it was a pretty walk, we liked it!

Tonga is all suites, so you cant stay there in a regular room.

raratonga is a good location, if you want to be in a very convenient longhouse, but you have to be sure to request quiet pool view, or you could end up w/parking lot view!

when we were at the Poly in november, the pool was packed! so dont count on it being empty! and when it is crowded, it seems crowded, cause it isnt big at all!

I agree with you about the bathroom set up. I really missed having the separate vanity/dressing area, you get used to that on vacation!

but, yes, the Polynesian does have fantastic theming! it is truly amazing, the tropical paradise feeling there!

we never found the crowds too bad at the TTC, I guess it depends on your timing! to go to Epcot it makes perect sense, by the time you get on the monorail at the GCH, and make all the stops back around to the TTC, you could be there already if you just walk to the TTC and take the direct epcot monorail!

Laura :)

I wonder if CoraJack is thinking of the quiet pool. When you walk to the GCH from Rapa Nuie you walk right by it. It is very large but seldom is crowded. I agree with Princess Angel about the walk and the crowds at the TTC. We've stayed at Rapa Nuie many, many times and I don't think it takes me more then 5 minutes to walk to the GCH...and I'm no longer a fast walker. The crowds at the TTC are usually waiting for the MK monorail. We find walking to the TTC and taking the Epcot monorail by far the easiest and fastest way to get to Epcot. Faster than driving the rental car there, too. Maybe Cora Jack was busy smelling all the beautiful flowers on her way to the GCH:D ! Cora Jack, another thought..did your walk include waiting for the elevator? We're always on the ground floor. Truly, this has been puzzling me because I know it doesn't take me more than 5 minutes. Glad you enjoyed your stay, though. Nine more days until I get to go back:Pinkbounc !

We have always wanted to stay at this resort, we visit it on all our trips. It sounds like you had a great time, I know what your saying about the walk, we had a long walk like that when we stayed at All Star Sports om our last visit. I think the themeing is just great there and hope to stay there in the near future.

Uh no....there is a HUGE volcano that is impossible to miss at the volcano pool right? LOL LOL LOL! How could I mistake the quiet pool for the volcano pool? I was there for 6 days. During those 6 days, as I said previously, there were very, very few people in the pool. We passed by at all times of the day. Who knows why? I am not guessing WHY there were very few people in that pool--I can only report what I saw when I was there. But again, we were there in early June and I didn't feel that any part of any place at Disney was overly crowded. Our last day there June 11th seemed the most crowded of all.

Anyway--I would not choose a long house close to the TTC unless you were planning on going to Epcot alot. You always must get the Epcot monorail at the TTC to go there. On the other hand--you can take the monorail from the GCH to the Magic Kingdom. So if you are planning on spending most of your time at the MK (and using the services of the GCH like food, shopping, etc) I'd suggest closer to the GCH.

I WOULD NEVER SUGGEST DRIVING TO A PARK OVER TAKING DISNEY TRANSPORT! The only places that we found were easier to drive to were the putt-putt golf areas and Downtown Disney.

At the TTC you are getting all the people driving into the parking lot choosing the monorail for their transport to the MK. Oh the crowds at the TTC! And the people--well just suffice it to say that sometimes there were large groups of people who we didn't like being around. Actually a few times my girlfriend and I felt uncomfortable at the TTC.

Anyway.......as far as the walk from Rapa Nui to the GCH...we didn't take a stopwatch and say "one, two, three...go!" We just sort of took our time, took different paths sometimes and when we'd get there we'd look at our watches and say, "Whew, that took us 10 minutes!" But no there was no flower smelling or duck feeding along the way. I feel that I walk at a normal pace and that's how long it took us. Enough said on that.

Bottom line is this--I feel that the closer to the GCH the better. If you can't get close to the GCH then get close to the TTC so you do have the option of going there for transport if you want to.

Christina

We did the Contemporary (4 day land/3 day sea) April 2001 - loved the fact we could walk to WDW and the Monorail came through our building (we stayed at Tower with WDW/lagoon view).
In December we are doing 3 day land/4 day sea but staying at the Poly.

Question: Which of the buildings is closest to Poly's monorail station and is a quieter area (non-parking lot/pool noise)?

Thanks so much for your suggestions!

Rae
:D

I just got back from the Poly and stayed in Raratonga. We were on the first floor in the room closest to the Great Ceremonial House. I was in room 1830. We had a view of the monorail station and we had lots of tropical foliage around our patio. We couldn't see the parking lot since we were on the first level nor did we hear any noise from the parking lot. My room was right across the hall from the doors into Raratonga so we had a small bit of noise from other guests but it wasn't too bad. I would definately stay in that room again. We literally had a 15 second walk to the Great Ceremonial House & the monorail :D

Wow!
Impressive list of Disney resort vacations - now I know who to ask about Poly and Wilderness! Thank you so much for the info!
It's wonderful to have such great communication from other Disney vacationers.

I have thought about the cabin at Ft W. and think next time we stay at WDW we do that! (Our version of camping is definitely comfort!!!)
:wave:

Again, thnnks!
Rae

I have to agree with corajack, we stayed in Tahiti for 2 nights before we moved to Hawaii (the best building). I thought Tahiti was a hike to the GHC, and after those long days in the parks it seemed like it took forever. It was not terrible but I defin. agree its better to be closer. When we were there almost all the cast members said Aloha to us! Aloha!

We (DW, DS1 and DS2) were at the Poly in mid-May and loved it. We were in the Hawaii building, concierge, lagoon view.

Almost every castmember said Aloha to us for the week we were there. Even when we said Hi first.

I agree that the TV's were small. I thought that was odd, but then again we weren't there to watch TV.

I personally like the sinks inside the bathroom and not in the room. To me this is especially important when the kids are sleeping and you are trying to get ready before they get up.

We found the Volcano Pool crowded only during the evenings on Saturday and Friday. The other times weren't bad at all. It was actually fun watching everyone. the quite pool was empty all of the time, so you could always go there.

Also we did not find the TTC to be crowded. We only used it to go to Epcot. Have fun.

I too enjoyed the walk to GCH from Tahiti building. Didn't think it was too long. I loved the walk - so quiet and listening to Hawaiian music along the way. Oh! the ambiance! can't make it to Hawaii but this is the next best thing!
Oh! and what was the deal with the tv in your room half size of the one from AllStars? The one at AS is small compared to the one you should have had at the Poly. I remember it being pretty big! hmmmmm I would have complained! With what we are paying you have a right to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter