My recent opinions on the Dining Plan....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't mean to hijack this thread but i do have a question along the same lines. If I were to have a few left over counter meals on the day we are leaving is there any place that offers cold sandwiches or such could take along with us? I think the only places we might be on our departing day would be MK, DTD and our resort FW.
Thanks

What's weird to me (about this and the OP story - NOT that I'm saying OP is lying, cuz I'm sure he/she's not) but in my experience, this is the sort of thing CMs and WDW is good at - just doing the common sense thing without dealing with the BS. For example, how often we've heard stories of people having a shirt ruined or something and a CM helping to replace it. While it may not happen all the time, it should be in the purview of CMs to do this sort of thing (especially when it obviously is an advantage for disney). It's one thing to give away a tshirt in hopes that good customer service will bring more money. It's another to give away a banana (that you may 1 dollar profit on) than a french loaf (which you make 50 cents profit on) or whatever the figures are (adult/kids cs for instance).

Honestly, the Main Street Bakery was the only place we had an issue with inflexibility. We were able to sub things at other restaurants without a problem. Le Cellier was the most accommodating. They let my DS8 switch out his appetizer for fruit salad, and my mom got mashed potatoes instead of risotto on the mushroom filet. Our server said "You can have whatever you want....this is Disney." She was really very nice.

The whole "banana issue" didn't ruin our trip. It just didn't make sense to us! FWIW, my mom didn't throw out the sandwich untouched. She did eat a little of it. But it was alot of food, and she really didn't want it. She wanted to use the CS credit but wanted the French Toast Loaf and something else (even the yogurt parfait would have fit the bill for her!). Had it not been our last day, I'm sure she would have just used a snack credit. Oh well, coulda shoulda....next time, no worries because we're just going to pay for our meals OOP and get exactly what we want and not get what we don't want!;)

I don't quite understand why people get so upset about food being thrown away....:confused3

It happens every hour of every day & at the end of the night, in just about all restaurants, food goes into the garbage.....It's not possible to send that food to those who really need it (although it would be great if we could) It's not going to stop so what's the point of getting upset about it?

I've seen this conversation on a few threads before. To some degree, it's cultural and generational. Also, some of us have lived through times when there wasn't enough food -- or not enough money for food. I remember one time years ago making lentil soup for my family because we had a bag of lentils and a can of stewed tomatoes, and that's it. We didn't have any other food in the house, and no money to buy more. It was a long time ago, and I'm very grateful that things aren't like that anymore. So, wasting food is bound to bother some of us more than others. And yes, food is thrown away every single day, tons and tons of food. We can't mail it to starving children on the other side of the world, but it would be nice if it wasn't against the rules to give our desserts or extra credits to the family at the next table that scrimped and saved for years to afford their trip and is on a really tight food budget, but unfortunately, credits can't be transferred.

However, food is the wrong target. Yes, fuel, and trees, and things like that -- scarce resources that need to be protected, should be protected. Food is not. If anything, we need to find new ways to use MORE food (without eating it) or we're basically wasting the American farmer.

We have to find new ways to use more agricultural products in general -- like perfecting efficient ways to manufacture ethanol from corn. And look at all the useful products that can be made from hemp! :hippie: :rotfl2:

I don't mean to hijack this thread but i do have a question along the same lines. If I were to have a few left over counter meals on the day we are leaving is there any place that offers cold sandwiches or such could take along with us? I think the only places we might be on our departing day would be MK, DTD and our resort FW.
Thanks

Most of the food courts have grab and go items. You can also get sandwiches to go at Earl of Sandwich. We did the grab and go thing last trip when we stayed at ASMo. We used 2 CS credits and got some sandwiches to take with us to the airport. The only thing you won't be able to take with you through security is beverages. You can buy those at the airport after you get through security.

Marcy

I've seen this conversation on a few threads before. To some degree, it's cultural and generational. Also, some of us have lived through times when there wasn't enough food -- or not enough money for food. I remember one time years ago making lentil soup for my family because we had a bag of lentils and a can of stewed tomatoes, and that's it. We didn't have any other food in the house, and no money to buy more. It was a long time ago, and I'm very grateful that things aren't like that anymore. So, wasting food is bound to bother some of us more than others. And yes, food is thrown away every single day, tons and tons of food. We can't mail it to starving children on the other side of the world, but it would be nice if it wasn't against the rules to give our desserts or extra credits to the family at the next table that scrimped and saved for years to afford their trip and is on a really tight food budget, but unfortunately, credits can't be transferred.

We have to find new ways to use more agricultural products in general -- like perfecting efficient ways to manufacture ethanol from corn. And look at all the useful products that can be made from hemp! :hippie: :rotfl2:

Hi Katiebell, my fellow Mayer friend!!!!:snooty:

Thanks

We also go to the Beach Club Marketplace & Boardwalk bakery to use our leftover credits.....It's usually a mad rush to buy up what we can with the credits & has become a tradition......It's a fun way to end a trip :banana:

this is very harsh....if I buy food and throw it away, that is my choice.....judge much?:confused3

It is your choice, I just think it's a bad one and somewhat immoral to be wasteful. Didn't ask you to subscribe to my morals, but they're there.

I've seen this conversation on a few threads before. To some degree, it's cultural and generational.
Absolutely. I know, for instance, my mother very strongly holds to many out-dated perspectives, because she lived through the depression.

We can't mail it to starving children on the other side of the world
This is a key point: The problem with hunger, in this country and in the world, in general, is not having enough food -- it is having enough money to transport the food where it needs to get to.

We really do need to work harder to switch our consumption from scarce resources to renewable ones. :thumbsup2

It is your choice, I just think it's a bad one and somewhat immoral to be wasteful. Didn't ask you to subscribe to my morals, but they're there.
I think many of us agree that it is immortal to be wasteful. What we're disputing is the assertion that an abundance of food is wasteful, given that it is not scarce and is a renewable resource. It think a better direction to point concerns about waste would be the Tomorrowland Indy Speedway! :)

I think many of us agree that it is immortal to be wasteful. What we're disputing is the assertion that an abundance of food is wasteful, given that it is not scarce and is a renewable resource. It think a better direction to point concerns about waste would be the Tomorrowland Indy Speedway! :)

agreed....I don't set out to be purposefully wasteful, but take Friday night at our local AMC theatre for POTC 3....I ordered a large drink for DH and I two smalls for the girls and two small popcorns ----- some got thrown out, for someone to assume I am immoral because I did not box up two cups of popcorn for the guys down by Marina Jack's is kind of assinine.

but it's kind of pushing them on everyone else isn't it?

that doesn't make any sense at all. this whole message board is about finding opinions and stating opinions. it's the purpose. my stating my opinion is no different than someone saying space mountain sucks or that expedition everest is awesome. i may feel that i have deeper feelings about my opinion and that the issue to which i am speaking is of greater importance, but it's an opinion sent via an opinion board.

agreed....I don't set out to be purposefully wasteful, but take Friday night at our local AMC theatre for POTC 3....I ordered a large drink for DH and I two smalls for the girls and two small popcorns ----- some got thrown out, for someone to assume I am immoral because I did not box up two cups of popcorn for the guys down by Marina Jack's is kind of assinine.

no one said anyone (including you) was immoral. i said that an act (in this case wasting food) was immoral in my view of morality.

Energy waste aside (this is a dining board).......

This whole debate is a little crazy.........

If a person purposely buys food, just to throw it away, I wouldn't call them immoral.....Just stupid. ;)

We all know that the DDP allows guests quite a bit of food. Those who think it's too much food & don't want to waste any of it, probably shouldn't get the dining plan.

And one more note to the OP.....They really should've allowed the banana....

Hi Katiebell, my fellow Mayer friend!!!!:snooty:

Hullo Marcy-Mayer! :hug: I want to go back -- DH got sick and we missed too much :sad1: Next trip is DL, probably February 2008...

Absolutely. I know, for instance, my mother very strongly holds to many out-dated perspectives, because she lived through the depression.

Yes, my mom was a Depression baby too -- ever heard "make it do, do without, use it up, wear it out"? That was a mantra chanted at home over and over while I was growing up. But I lived through lean years, too; seems like ages ago, but it was a lot more recently than the Depression :laughing: I can feed four adults with a chicken leg, a chicken wing, half a bag of frozen vegetables, and a couple of cups of Bisquick. Or a bag of lentils and a can of stewed tomatoes. And I know about 50 different recipes to use USDA surplus cheese, peanut butter, and powdered milk. You do what you've gotta do. So yes, it may be an "outdated" notion, but both excess and unnecessary waste bother me a lot -- however, I realize it's a personal belief.

popcorn:: popcorn:: :coffee: :coffee: :mickeybar :mickeybar :hug: Can't we all just get along-let's not be so rough on each other-this is Disney folks-the happiest place on earth!!!:)

let me clarify - DO NOT SHARE FOOD. IT'S BAD. DO NOT GIVE FOOD AWAY THAT YOU BUY ON THE DDP (or anywhere else, for that matter, it's likely against health code violations).

/don't break disney rules. :rolleyes:

that doesn't make any sense at all. this whole message board is about finding opinions and stating opinions. it's the purpose. my stating my opinion is no different than someone saying space mountain sucks or that expedition everest is awesome. i may feel that i have deeper feelings about my opinion and that the issue to which i am speaking is of greater importance, but it's an opinion sent via an opinion board.

You could've stated your opinion without calling out an individual poster for something of which everyone - I'm sure even you - is guilty to one degree or another.

I think this has gotten so far from the original intent of this post.

To the OP, thank you for sharing your recent experience. I know what you mean about the chocolate though:rotfl2:

Every time I start wavering and think I want to add the DDP (we are DVC'ers), hubby just gives me the look :lmao:

Because this thread has gotten to the point of world hunger and hemp products, I am going to close the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter